or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Homebirth › My midwife uses Cytotec!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My midwife uses Cytotec!! - Page 2

post #21 of 69
Quote:
A lot of HB midwives will carry it for PPH, usually as a last resort medication if Pitocin and Methergine still aren't stopping the blood loss
Ahh, this is what I had it used for. They gave me the pitocin, then the methergine orally, then the Cytotec and then the Methergine shot. I had never heard of these meds until I needed them.
post #22 of 69
When my sister did a homebirth transfer her CPM and her transfer-CNM convinced her to get Cytotec. @@ I don't get it.
post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
When my sister did a homebirth transfer her CPM and her transfer-CNM convinced her to get Cytotec. @@ I don't get it.
What don't you get?
post #24 of 69
Raene
I thought you were concerned your HBmidwife would induce your labor at home with cytotec.

Use for PPH is very different then induction.
post #25 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post
Raene
I thought you were concerned your HBmidwife would induce your labor at home with cytotec.

Use for PPH is very different then induction.
So I've learned from this thread...interesting. I just assumed it was horrible no matter what. Who knew? I'd still avoid it...even if it works and is safer, it's still not FDA approved, and they approve just about EVERYTHING...
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
So I've learned from this thread...interesting. I just assumed it was horrible no matter what. Who knew? I'd still avoid it...even if it works and is safer, it's still not FDA approved, and they approve just about EVERYTHING...
FDA un-approved means nothing. No one is going to conduct the trials for misoprostol to be approved, because it's off-patent and dirt cheap. The issue is not evidence of harm when used appropriately.

Again, fear is a poor place to start from when making decisions, as is a lack of information.
post #27 of 69
my biggest concern would be the overuse of it. for instance we could say "it's for rare and big emergencies only!" but... it's kinda like the elephant in the room thing. try not to think about it and it becomes bigger.

I guess I mean to say PPH isn't normal. it doesn't "just happen". it's either retained placenta, someone with clotting problems in general or uterine rupture ECT... or b/c someone was pulling on a placenta before it dettached is now is in a bad situation! all extenuating circumstances...

I would greatly clarify with this mdiwife exactly when, how and why she uses cytotec. making sure she doesn't pull on placentas... AT ALL. b/c if she carries Cytotec b/c she's needed it plenty of times - well that's just plain concerning. but if it's one of those things she carries and NEVER uses... well I might be okay with it.

then again I doubt she'd be like "oh yeah I always pull on placentas and they tend to retain so I just gotta carry this stuff to fix my booboos I create" lol... but sometimes you can read between the lines by how someone answers a question ykwim?
post #28 of 69
Well that's funny. I had a severe pph. I did not have retained placenta. I did not and do not have clotting problems. No one pulled on the placenta.

There are more reasons for pph than that. In my case, it was uterine atony from a long labour.
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Well that's funny. I had a severe pph. I did not have retained placenta. I did not and do not have clotting problems. No one pulled on the placenta.

There are more reasons for pph than that. In my case, it was uterine atony from a long labour.
Yep. Some common reasons for PPH: large baby, polyhydramnios, long labor, rapid labor, being a grand multip, infection.

You'll note that none of them have anything to do with having a bad midwife.
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Well that's funny. I had a severe pph. I did not have retained placenta. I did not and do not have clotting problems. No one pulled on the placenta.

There are more reasons for pph than that. In my case, it was uterine atony from a long labour.

ok but I didn't say those were the "only" reasons for PPH... I gave a handful off examples... as to say it's not just some thing that happens all of the time.

my POINT was that a PPH isn't just there for no reason... it happens for A reason. the uterus isn't contracting and closing properly for A reason. not just because some people PPH hemorrhage randomly.

nor did I accuse any midwife of causing it all of the time (only that it *can* be caused by someone pulling (including the mother) on the placenta)

a lot of people PPH after medical interventions and bad pushing instructions etc... and some people even PPH b/c of undetected cysts and what not. I'm well aware there are MANY reason for PPH, but it's also entirely NOT the "norm".... not even close. the most common PPH reason is retained placenta from pulling on it, and bleeding out b/c of side effect to medical intervention.
post #31 of 69
Actually you did say pph is caused by either retained placenta, clotting problem, or pulling on the placenta.

So what if pph is rare and happens for a reason? In my case, long labour. Not every long labour ends in a pph, but damn am I glad my midwives carry a multitude of drugs to help pph.
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
ok but I didn't say those were the "only" reasons for PPH... I gave a handful off examples... as to say it's not just some thing that happens all of the time.

my POINT was that a PPH isn't just there for no reason... it happens for A reason. the uterus isn't contracting and closing properly for A reason. not just because some people PPH hemorrhage randomly.

nor did I accuse any midwife of causing it all of the time (only that it *can* be caused by someone pulling (including the mother) on the placenta)

a lot of people PPH after medical interventions and bad pushing instructions etc... and some people even PPH b/c of undetected cysts and what not. I'm well aware there are MANY reason for PPH, but it's also entirely NOT the "norm".... not even close. the most common PPH reason is retained placenta from pulling on it, and bleeding out b/c of side effect to medical intervention.
No. You're wrong.

The most common reason for PPH is uterine atony, which has many risk factors, but does, contrary to your belief, occasionally happen randomly.

I'm sorry, but you will not find any backup in the literature for your assertion that retained placenta is the most common cause for PPH. It just isn't.
post #33 of 69
Exactly. I did a lot of research into phh after my first pph while planning my second home birth. Uterine atony is definitely the most common cause.
post #34 of 69
There is a local midwife who does this as well and I think it is COMPLETELY neglegent! I would switch if I were you, just because a lot of midwives who use it will slip it to you when you don't even now it! These are the kinds of midwives who will break your water, and such, without your consent as well. Sorry- just speaking from experience as a doula. You need to make sure that you ABSOLUTELY trust your midwife and are ENTIRELY comfortable with her. If you do stay with her, I would get a really good doula too! Best wishes and I hope you can have wisdom and confidence in your decision!
post #35 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
making sure she doesn't pull on placentas... AT ALL. b/c if she carries Cytotec b/c she's needed it plenty of times - well that's just plain concerning. but if it's one of those things she carries and NEVER uses... well I might be okay with it.
Actually we did ask her...she said she NEVER pulls on them, she feels comfortable waiting hours and hours for the placenta to come out, etc. She did say she's used the cytotec (don't know if just a few times or what) and that it works really well. She said she inserts it into the rectum (?).

Well, I'm planning on consuming the placenta so hopefully that will help...I'm going to choose not to focus on it and to hope that if it happened, shepherd's purse would be enough.
post #36 of 69
the midwife i train under uses cytotec rectally for pph if the need arises. more than once i've seen it keep mom from needing the hospital. she def. doesn't go around and give it to all the moms, though. everytime i have seen it given it was clearly needed. my midwife does not pull on the placentas, either.

eta- the types of situations needed for cytotec that i have seen; a septate uterus, fast 1st and 2nd stage w/second baby or more (by fast i mean like 2-4 minutes, and not ALL births with a fast pushing stage need it), prior history of pph... pitocin is always given first, then the methergine, then the cytotec. the cytotec is used when the other 2 meds aren't doing their job fast enough.
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Actually you did say pph is caused by either retained placenta, clotting problem, or pulling on the placenta.

So what if pph is rare and happens for a reason? In my case, long labour. Not every long labour ends in a pph, but damn am I glad my midwives carry a multitude of drugs to help pph.
yes but I said "ETC" afterwards.

good grief why would I lie? My entire point is that I would double check on WHY the MW carried cytotec, not that he does it b/c she's negligent. and not to say PPH doesn't happen. why the defensive?

the "uterine atony" can happen by "random" as in there is no known factors... but it's not just randomly happen at normal births on a regular basis. I was pretty sure I had made my point clear and I'm sorry you misunderstood. I tried very hard to make my point NOT hard to understand nor unkind of people who have had a PPH

this wasn't my way of socking it to moms who PPH! it's my way of saying i would be very careful with a midwife who carries cytotec and be sure of her reasons for doing so. though there may be extreme cases where herbs and pit don't work for PPH, they are by and large not the majority. it's pretty rare to PPH, at random, with no extenuating circumstances. that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and I never claimed it didn't.
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Actually we did ask her...she said she NEVER pulls on them, she feels comfortable waiting hours and hours for the placenta to come out, etc. She did say she's used the cytotec (don't know if just a few times or what) and that it works really well. She said she inserts it into the rectum (?).

Well, I'm planning on consuming the placenta so hopefully that will help...I'm going to choose not to focus on it and to hope that if it happened, shepherd's purse would be enough.

well that sounds pretty reasonable to me... I might further ask what kind of circumstances would prompt the cytotec and ask what things she uses first.
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic_Mama View Post
There is a local midwife who does this as well and I think it is COMPLETELY neglegent! I would switch if I were you, just because a lot of midwives who use it will slip it to you when you don't even now it! These are the kinds of midwives who will break your water, and such, without your consent as well. Sorry- just speaking from experience as a doula. You need to make sure that you ABSOLUTELY trust your midwife and are ENTIRELY comfortable with her. If you do stay with her, I would get a really good doula too! Best wishes and I hope you can have wisdom and confidence in your decision!
yes this was my concern too. I had had experience with this sort of midwife too, sadly.

but again... it's totally a personal decision.
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
yes but I said "ETC" afterwards.

good grief why would I lie? My entire point is that I would double check on WHY the MW carried cytotec, not that he does it b/c she's negligent. and not to say PPH doesn't happen. why the defensive?

the "uterine atony" can happen by "random" as in there is no known factors... but it's not just randomly happen at normal births on a regular basis. I was pretty sure I had made my point clear and I'm sorry you misunderstood. I tried very hard to make my point NOT hard to understand nor unkind of people who have had a PPH

this wasn't my way of socking it to moms who PPH! it's my way of saying i would be very careful with a midwife who carries cytotec and be sure of her reasons for doing so. though there may be extreme cases where herbs and pit don't work for PPH, they are by and large not the majority. it's pretty rare to PPH, at random, with no extenuating circumstances. that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and I never claimed it didn't.
PPH occurs in approximately 15% of births. It's not "pretty rare".

I still don't know what data you're using to prefer pit over miso, since pit is associated with some fairly significant fluid balance issues and miso is not associated with significant problems postpartum.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Homebirth
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Homebirth › My midwife uses Cytotec!!