Well, Eowyn seems to do much better on her left side, mostly prone, or at a very slight angle only. The carseat type angle is very bad for her. As is straight up and down (like on my shoulder, with me sitting really straight).
I still can't nurse her on the left side normally at all without her vomiting all over us both. So I hold her in a football type hold for left side nursing, so she is literally lying on her left side instead of her right.
The big challenge for me is that she needs to be held all the time, which would be no big deal (Guinevere was like this, though not pukey) because of the pouch/sling, only I'm right handed and cannot wear the pouch over my right shoulder (I'm an idiot and cannot figure out how to do it and it not drive me nuts), but wearing it on my left puts her at an angle that she can't tolerate well.
And while she's doing well with neck control, she's not up to a point where I'm comfy putting her in the Ergo or mei tai. So I'm thinking about getting an insert for the Ergo if it's not too expensive.
She does best burping if either lying on her side (she prefers side-lying nursing to all else it seems) with me gently patting her back, or with me leaning back and her on my chest, face down (well, to the side), if that makes sense. But it feels like an ongoing experiment, honestly. I just keep tentative trying new things. But for now the main no-nos for us are:
- Giving any kind of medication (Mylicon or Cocyntal, etc.) after nursing = giant vomiting
- Nursing on the left in a traditional hold = ditto
- Putting her in the bouncy seat, swing, or carseat for any length of time beyond say 5 minutes = lots of gassiness/discomfort/fussing
- Having her head elevated more than just slightly on a sleeping surface = lots of fussing
Stuff that's helped:
- Side lying nursing with her on her left side and me leaning over to feed her off either breast
- Burping her lying on her left or on my chest
- Not changing her diaper or jostling her around immediately after nursing
- Letting her sleep on her side (we cosleep, so I'm right there just in case)
- We're both on probiotics