or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › If this is not a human rights violation, I don't know what is.(pictures)*GRAPHIC*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If this is not a human rights violation, I don't know what is.(pictures)*GRAPHIC* - Page 2

post #21 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinijocaro View Post
The fact that she said she posted links to pictures of a circumcision pretty much covers it. We all know circumcision is disturbing. She was very clear, not sure what you all expected when you clicked on those links?
Thank you. Although I will correct you on one point. I am a guy, not a girl. (A younger circumcised guy if your interesting in details)

ursusarctos- I think of it the other way around. Instead of circumcision being the cause of emotional issues for men, I think circumcision is just another sign of the detached way males are often treated in society. (Like, his body parts have less value and damage to his body is "manly")
post #22 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by perspective View Post
ursusarctos- I think of it the other way around. Instead of circumcision being the cause of emotional issues for men, I think circumcision is just another sign of the detached way males are often treated in society. (Like, his body parts have less value and damage to his body is "manly")
Well, it's a cycle isn't it - circumcision sends that message across loud and clear to the subconscious, I imagine.

That poor child...
post #23 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by perspective View Post

ursusarctos- I think of it the other way around. Instead of circumcision being the cause of emotional issues for men, I think circumcision is just another sign of the detached way males are often treated in society. (Like, his body parts have less value and damage to his body is "manly")
You are absolutely right. I actually meant it as just one of the things that socialize males to numb themselves to everything but aggression and anger - "manliness". This kind of thing is a symptom of underlying, complex, deep-set cultural attitudes/assumptions, a symptom that at the same time helps to perpetuate those attitudes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haselnuss View Post
Well, it's a cycle isn't it - circumcision sends that message across loud and clear to the subconscious, I imagine.

That poor child...
Yes.
post #24 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
So by waiting until they were older and it was retracted...does this affect the pain level?
Well, I think it would. It would be just one cut around to remove the skin. Since the foreskin is already separated, you wouldn't have to peel it from the glans first, so the glans wouldn't be harmed during the actual procedure like it is in an infant.

Either way, it's still awful. But I do think that waiting until retraction is complete is *slightly* more humane.
post #25 of 65
it just shows even when a child no matter what age is can say no but no one listens here they are taking away the right of their ways of speech and wants because it's humilating to them to be 'stripped and hurt like that when they are more aware of their body it's like why can't those people see that as human rights being destroyed because the kids can say No, they don't want it but forced to get it - Double wrong !
post #26 of 65
I added Graphic Disclaimer to the OP due to member request. This is not limited to The CAC forum; we ask that all members add graphic disclaimers to potentially upsetting content/links.
post #27 of 65
How about this one

FGM photo wins photographer an award

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content...5bf4354a?imw=Y
post #28 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
How about this one

FGM photo wins photographer an award

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content...5bf4354a?imw=Y
:Puke:Puke These pictures are appaling seriously I just want to take these all babies with me and protect them
post #29 of 65
I haven't posted on this forum in a long time. I found my way back and came across this thread. I wish more people could see these images and perhaps know/understand/oppose these mutilations (both FGM AND our country's male-circs).

I googled that photographer's name to see the article, and it is so heart wrenching. It is so sad how they decieve the little girls...
This is hard to view the pics and made me cry, but awareness needs to be risen about this practice.
The link to the whole photo-essay is at the bottom of this blog...
http://thetravelphotographer.blogspo...kurdistan.html

So so so sad...

Kindra
not sure if my siggy will still show up! lol
post #30 of 65
Hi, everyone. I have removed posts that were personally directed. Please remember that the User Agreement requires that we:

Quote:
Do not start a thread to discuss member behavior or statements of members made in other threads or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread. Please see the MDC User Agreement.
While this is the Case Against Circumcision forum and one can assume that links would be inherently graphic and disturbing, it's helpful to post a "graphic" warning so that members can better make the determination if the links are work-friendly and/or children nearby-friendly. Thanks so much for everyone's cooperation and understanding. Please PM me with any further questions.
post #31 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinrice01 View Post
I haven't posted on this forum in a long time. I found my way back and came across this thread. I wish more people could see these images and perhaps know/understand/oppose these mutilations (both FGM AND our country's male-circs).
It really is horrible. Many people look at circumcision as this "simple snip", and thats how this can continue, many do not realize that this is a real surgery on an incredibly sensitive and delicate part of the body.


Often we say FGM is so bad, not only because of what is done, but how it is carried out. But there is no outcry for the way male circ is carried out internationally. The boy in the first picture above is having surgery performed on him with broken working tools, in a not only medically unsanitary, but down right filthy room.

Yet because circ is just a "snip" in some minds, people will look over that picture with their morning coffee, and will not see any problem. This lack of concern, lack of awareness does not only lead to the torture of millions of children, whose cries go unheard, this also will lead to deaths of many children. A problem unrecognized by most international human rights groups.

Thats why its so important for us to look at these images, because someone MUST see, in no abstract terms, what is going on.
post #32 of 65
I'm not even going to look.....the reactions from the rest of you are enough........just the thought of what some little boys have to endure from their "well-meaning" parents who just want them to "look normal" makes me sick.....If I hear it one more time "Well they are so little they won't even remember...or I had it done and I'm ok"...... it all just makes me want to strap these people down and do to them....while they are awake, cohearant and able to understand what's going on. UGH!
post #33 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo7 View Post
I'm not even going to look.....the reactions from the rest of you are enough........just the thought of what some little boys have to endure from their "well-meaning" parents who just want them to "look normal" makes me sick.....If I hear it one more time "Well they are so little they won't even remember...or I had it done and I'm ok"...... it all just makes me want to strap these people down and do to them....while they are awake, cohearant and able to understand what's going on. UGH!
Whats weird is that in some countries they do it when kids are older. The excuse there is people say they know its painful, but they got through it and so can their (son/daughter) because its part of growing up and just "needs" to be done.
post #34 of 65
Did you notice in the caption for the second picture it mentions the boy is getting a "free" circumcision?? What a prize, huh?

Jen
post #35 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenP View Post
Did you notice in the caption for the second picture it mentions the boy is getting a "free" circumcision?? What a prize, huh?

Jen
Many of the circumcisions that go on in second world, or 3rd world countries are free because most cannot afford a surgery like this. What makes me cringe when I hear about these "free circumcision days" at local clinics in these places is when I find out they are funded by American "charity" organizations.
post #36 of 65
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by perspective View Post
Many of the circumcisions that go on in second world, or 3rd world countries are free because most cannot afford a surgery like this. What makes me cringe when I hear about these "free circumcision days" at local clinics in these places is when I find out they are funded by American "charity" organizations.
Eeeeeeeew! How can we find out if a particular charity puts money towards this?

Jen
post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananas View Post
Omg omg omg...

omg.
omg. omg. omfg.
post #39 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenP View Post
Eeeeeeeew! How can we find out if a particular charity puts money towards this?

Jen
I really don't know how you could find out. Does anyone else have ideas how?

(I have read some stories of an american doctor going over to another country to offer his services for a third world region for a short period of time, and one of the main things he did was provide free circumcisions)
post #40 of 65
The fact that the boy in the second photo is crying and knowing that there are people he quite possibly loves and trusts that are subjecting and forcing him into this is beyond words.

He is terrified and it hasn't even begun!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Understanding Circumcision
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Understanding Circumcision › If this is not a human rights violation, I don't know what is.(pictures)*GRAPHIC*