or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Cesarean support circle V (December 12)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cesarean support circle V (December 12) - Page 3

post #41 of 177
How about a couple of Christmas Eve babies?

Patrick Nicholas 4 lb. 7 oz. 17.5" 10:54 pm
Catherine Constance 4 lb. 8 oz. 17" 10:55 pm

Home with me today, on Day 4 of their tiny lives.

post #42 of 177
i have never posted to any of the c/section support threads before but i found this one particularly interesting. my personal opinion on birthing is this...

-- the way you deliver a child does not determine what kind of parent you will be or are already. nor does it determine how your children will be. i believe that we, as moms, all have one goal! that is to have our children enter the world ALIVE, however this takes place............

so, however you choose to deliver your children I SUPPORT YOU!!!!! i know that i would do ANYTHING to ensure the safe delivery of my children, ANYTHING!!!!!!

megs mom-- congrats on the safe delivery of your beautiful twins!!!! a month early and perfect in every way!!!
post #43 of 177
Megs Mom, congratulations! That is wonderful news!
How's breastfeeding going with twins?

danaalex, thanks for your words of support.
I just need to point out that for many of us here on this thread, having a cesarian is not really a "choice" or rather, it can be a choice between life and death (or major damage of some sort)
for us and /or our babies, so in that sense it isn't really a choice, kwim?
post #44 of 177
The bfing is awful b/c they are so tiny and can't do it well. Each of my breasts is about four times the size of each of their heads. We are currently doing the (try to) nurse/supplement/pump routine, repeat every two hours leaving time for nothing else. I know others have been there. It will get easier...
post #45 of 177
I will only say this b/c I know you are a Catholic- prayers to the Blessed Virgin, mother of all mothers may help, it helped me a whole lot, and stick with it, as you said, it will work itself out, but I am sure right now it is very hard and frustrating, that's where Mary can help you.
post #46 of 177
oh, patty, thank you for the reminder. i will address to our lady of la leche.
post #47 of 177
Thread Starter 
Originally posted by Megs Mom
How about a couple of Christmas Eve babies?

Patrick Nicholas 4 lb. 7 oz. 17.5" 10:54 pm
Catherine Constance 4 lb. 8 oz. 17" 10:55 pm

Home with me today, on Day 4 of their tiny lives.

They are adorable, I hope you had an uneventful birth. You have to tell us all about it and them!

post #48 of 177
It was rather uneventful, fortunately. I'll be posting a birth story as soon as I get my hands-free pumping bra in a few days!
post #49 of 177
I am not Catholic but I believe in the power of prayer too. Invoking the blessings of Our Lady of La Leche is a great idea.

Actually the whole religious thing.....after my first unexpected cesarian I actually was mad at the gods, I felt like I was being punished because I didn't get my wonderful natural birth experience. Took me awhile to get over that, to get my ego out of it, and realize that it was a lesson in acceptance, and the fact that I and my babies are alive and helthy is a gift for which I'm thankful every day. It took me a long time to come around to feeling that way, however.
post #50 of 177
Megs Mom~~~Beautiful babies! What a joy! I have a twin sister and the thought of having my own twins would be so awesome. Thanks for sharing the pics and I look forward to your birth story!
post #51 of 177
Thanks, Missgrl!
post #52 of 177
HI all, I had wanted to share an interesting thing that happened with dd on Christmas Eve.

We were watching Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey (great flick for any Christian mamas looking for a Christmas special that is about Jesus' birth ).

Anyway, Nestor is the donkey that carries Mary safely to Bethlehem. So, they arrive in Bethlehem, and my dd, 3.5 years, says- "Ut oh mama- do they have knives in Bethlehem?" and I am totally confused I say "what?", she says, "Mary is going to have the baby Jesus, do they have a knife to get him out?".

Now, I have explained to her a number of times that most babies come out of their mama's vaginas, and that the way our babies come out is not normal, but it is what we need to do for them to be safe. I have told her that she will most likely not have to have her babies "cut out", and that they will come through her vagina, I guess she just doesn't get it. I am sure that with time and age she willl understand better, I just think it's funny, the way it happens for us must be "the way".

Dh laughed and said, "Joseph was a carpenter, but I don't think he could've pulled that off":LOL

Another interesting note to this, I thought when I first old her how she was born, how her brother will be born, etc. that she would be freaked out about the Dr. cutting mommy. She thought it was pretty cool though, and wanted to know why daddy couldn't just do it, how would they put me back together (when I said stapler, she thought again that daddy could just use his). I am surprised how well kids take certain things, YK?
post #53 of 177
Jess--It is amazing how well they take things! That was a cute story!!

I had another visit yesterday. I did not like this gal nearly as wekk as the other. This ob isn't as pro-vbac as the others. She gae me some line about...well if you expect us to LET you vbac you have to give up some of what you want...I asked about cfm... Then she was like WELL, your chance of vbac is greatly diminished because of WHY you had your c/b. Sicne you were ftp it will probably happen again!

I told her I was a falied induction but she didn't buy it :
post #54 of 177
(i have a sleeping baby in my arms, so i'm taking the shortcut and posting my already-written birth story as my intro...)
At 9am on December 20, 2003, we arrived at St. Mary’s Hospital for the administering of Cytotec to my cervix to induce labor. Though it was five days early, because of persistent prodromal labor (early labor that drags on with little to no effect on the cervix) my midwife, Janet Grant, and I decided inducing early would be beneficial-- at least to my sanity.
After about a half hour non-stress test, Janet arrived to apply the Cytotec. My cervix, which, like a steel door, had been refusing to change, actually had-- I’d finally arrived at about 2.5 cm. After receiving the Cytotec, we were sent home for 4 hours; we were to return around 2 to be checked and, hopefully, admitted.
I started having contractions about two hours later. They weren’t too hard but got progressively stronger as the day went on. I could still talk through them but was getting more and more uncomfortable.
There were no birthing rooms when we arrived at 2, so I was placed in the admission exam room to have another non-stress test and have my cervix checked. The baby’s heartrate was a little non-reactive, so I laid on my side for awhile to try to wake her up. When the nurse checked my cervix, she found no change. I almost started crying. She called Janet, who decided to have another dose of Cytotec administered and have me walk a bit to get things going. We were moved to a birthing room that had just opened up so I wouldn’t be out of luck when I did get admitted.
My parents came to visit and keep us entertained. I walked lap after lap around the hospital. I hate those hallways. Around 6, Andy and I went down to the cafeteria with my parents for some dinner. Our nurse, Tonya, asked us to be back around 7:30. We got back at 7 and she said she’d be in in 15 minutes to check me.
My cervix had made it to 3 cm. I’d only dilated half a centimeter in four hours. I was absolutely crushed. I couldn’t handle the idea of being sent home again, since we’d had so many false alarms. The EFM was showing contraction after contraction and they were beginning to get painful. I couldn’t believe they weren’t dilating my cervix. Tonya kept having me roll on my side to wake up the baby, whose heartrate was still non-reactive. She’d seen us during one of our false alarms and had had to use the buzzer to wake up the baby to get her reactive and asked us if that had to be done every time we had a non-stress test. We told her no, but that the nurse earlier in the day had had me on my side. She said she’d give Janet a call to see where to go next.
I was ready to cry again. I was so tired of being in labor with nothing happening. The contractions were painful and coming one on top of the other, with almost no break in between-- in fact, some of them were barely receding before the next one began. At one point, lying on my side, the heartrate monitor lost the baby’s heartrate for a moment then picked up again, showing 90, then 80. I tapped at the unit and tried adjusting it (we’d gotten to be rather expert at the EFM), thinking it had picked up my heartrate. Tonya came in the room shortly thereafter to look at the machine. Andy mentioned we’d lost the baby’s heartbeat for a moment but Tonya said that those low numbers WERE her heartbeat. Needless to say, that scared the ever-living shit out of both of us. We knew that heartrate was far too low. Janet was due to arrive in a bit to take a look at the strip and decide where we would go from there. Tonya went back out to the nurses’ station and, a few minutes later, a man we’d never seen came into the room to look at the EFM strip. He introduced himself as Dr. Ellinwood and said he’d looked over our strip at the nurses’ station and was concerned with the baby’s heartbeat. He ran his finger along the top of the strip, pointing out the dips her heartrate was taking after contractions, telling us that, after those dips, her heartrate should bounce back above where it was before. Instead, her heartrate was dipping and “flat-lining,” returning to where it was before. He said she had “non-reassuring hearttones” and recommended a cesarean.
My heart stopped and I started to cry. I tried to choke back the tears, but I couldn’t do it. My throat filled with the salt water and I couldn’t breathe. Andy had turned white. Dr. Ellinwood said he’d talked to Janet in the hall and they’d agreed on the c-section. The baby wasn’t withstanding the contractions well. Every time I had a contraction, oxygen didn’t flow to her, as normal. However, my contractions were coming so fast, she didn’t have time to recover, as she would normally. Had I been 7 or 8 cm dilated, there wouldn’t have been as much concern but, since I was barely 3, they were getting to be too much for her. Dr. Ellinwood told us, based on my progress so far, my labor could continue for another day or two, but she would only be able to withstand it for another hour or two. There was really no questions to be asked: have a c-section or our baby could die.
Everything started moving very fast. Dr. Ellinwood had the nurses give me a oxygen mask. Tonya brought in another nurse to hook me up to an IV so get me hydrated. Janet came in to reiterate what the doctor had told us. She would be assisting him in the surgery and it would only take them about 7 minutes to deliver the baby, then about another half an hour or so to repair me. I would be given a spinal block, not an epidural. Tonya brought over materials to shave my belly and pubic area. I was getting cold from the IV saline and was still nearly hyperventilating under the oxygen; my glasses didn’t fit over the bridge, so I could only see some things in focus. My parents were notified, as per my birth plan, by Janet that I would be having a c-section and they came in to get their coats and hug me before they went to the waiting room. Andy was given scrubs and told to change into them; he would wait in the cesarean recovery room until I’d been given the spinal, then he could join me at the head of the table. He was encouraged to bring his camera. While he changed, I was given a catheter to empty my bladder and had to drink something horribly bitter to nullify the acidity of my stomach contents.
I was wheeled down the hall to the operating room. There were a bunch of people in the room and I only recognized Tonya, Dr. Ellinwood and Janet, who were already in scrubs. I was introduced to the anesthesiologist, Dr. Heckle, who explained the entire process of a spinal to me. I would be given Duromorph, which would numb me from the breastbone on down. I’d be given a shot to numb the area of injection first, then the Duramorph. Once the spinal was administered, I wouldn’t feel anything of the surgery except for a bit of tugging and pulling. I was rolled onto my side and Janet held me behind my neck and legs while Dr. Heckle draped my back and proceeded to give me the spinal. I was still shivering violently and told Janet I was afraid I’d screw him up with my shaking; she assured me my shivering wouldn’t phase him, that it was the huge shakes that some women had that would disturb him.
The spinal was done quickly and I was rolled back onto my back. Sterile drapes were placed over my body and across my chest to block my view of the procedure. Andy was allowed in and came to my side, kissing me on the forehead; my arms were both strapped down to prevent me from reflexively reaching down while the surgery was performed. Andy was told he could take photos of everything, but I protested any shots of the c-section itself. Dr. Heckle asked, were I giving birth vaginally, would I want photos of that. When I replied that I wouldn’t, he laughed and agreed that maybe I wouldn’t want any photos of this.
Dr. Ellinwood then told me he was going to check to see if the spinal had taken yet. I felt some prodding and told him what I felt; Dr. Heckle said he was actually pinching me with some metal implement, so what I felt was acceptable.
I laid there for awhile while Andy looked over the drape. Finally, I asked, “Um, when are you going to start?” Andy looked down at me in disbelief. “Don’t you smell that?” he asked. “They’re almost halfway through. Can’t you smell them cauterizing the layers?” I couldn’t believe I’d somehow not even noticed I was being cut into!
“We’re almost there,” Janet reported. Andy craned his neck and Dr. Heckle asked if he needed to sit down, afraid he was going to pass out. Andy grinned and refused the chair; he was fascinated.
They cut through my uterus and the baby’s amniotic sac broke with a gush, sending up a geyser that caused everyone to jump back, laughing. A moment later, Janet reached in and pulled out the baby’s head to suction out her mouth; immediately, she began wailing. Then Janet pulled out the rest of her body and proclaimed, “You’re going to need to tape some little girl ribbons to that head!” My response: “Does that mean she’s bald?” Janet started laughing and reported that there was plenty of hair on my baby’s head. Then she was held up over the drape so I could see her scrunched up, screaming face. Andy said in awe, “It’s a girl!”
Dr. Heckle looked at the clock. “I have 20:42.”
It was recorded: Katharine Wen Spoering was born December 20, 2003 at 8:42 pm.
A nurse and pediatrician took the baby to the warmer and Andy followed. He stood over her and said softly, “Hi, Katie.” Katie calmed quickly as she was checked and she turned pink right away, only her feet and hands remaining just a little purple. Andy snapped several pictures of her as she received a little oxygen and was cleaned up, wrapped in a pink blanket, topped with a little striped cap then handed to Andy, who brought her over to see me. Dr. Heckle freed my arms from the restraints and I put my arm out to cradle her back between Andy’s arms. With my other hand, I touched her face. “Hey,” I said, stroking her cheeks. “Look, she has baby zits!” Dr. Heckle took Andy’s camera and took a couple photos of us: our first photos as a family.
I kissed her on the cheek before Andy and the nurse took her away to the well-baby nursery to be examined. In the meantime, surgery continued as I was repaired, layer by layer. High from seeing my daughter, I joked and chatted with the doctors and nurses. I felt almost nothing, still fairly amazed at that fact. As the procedure wound down, I began feeling a little queasy and pale, so I stared at my sterile drape for awhile, marveling at the whole experience. When everything was done, I was wheeled into the cesarean recovery room and helped onto a bed, Tonya situating my legs because I couldn’t feel a thing. I was surprised to see my right leg: it looked disembodied and swollen, something that was never attached to me. I was covered in blankets and a warming unit was placed above me. My parents arrived and hugged me, told me Katie was the prettiest thing they’d ever seen. They told me her statistics: 7 pounds, 2.8 ounces, 19 3/4 inches long-- just two-tenths of an ounce and 3/4 of an inch smaller than her daddy at birth. My mother, who’d been hoping for curly hair, said Andy claimed Katie definitely had that.
A few minutes later, Andy arrived pushing Katie in a plastic bassinette. He picked her up and put her in my arms, this tiny bundle of pink face with huge gray eyes. I was attached to monitors and tubes, unable to move at all, but I felt the best I have in years. Tonya helped me get Katie latched on and she nursed blissfully immediately, her eyes barely open but staring up at me.
Finally, after years of loss and pain and fear and tenuous hope, I was holding my long-awaited baby, a tiny, healthy girl who looks just like her daddy.

since this happened only 11 days ago, i'm still coming to terms with it-- i was so keen on a natural birth and read everything possible, dreaming of helping pull my baby out and holding her against my skin for the first time. i don't regret the c/b because it very likely saved her life, but i feel let down because i didn't get the birth i envisioned.
we're not planning on another child for several years, but i'm already getting excited to try for a vbac!!
post #55 of 177
Thread Starter 

Welcome to our little circle. I read your birth experience and I can so relate to how you feel. Coming to terms with not having the birth you desired can be a really depressing thing. Please feel free to talk about it. Watch for signs of PPD. I had very bad PPD and I contribute part of that of the disappointment and sadness over my birth.
I am glad your baby arrived safely into the world. I found it interesting though that your midwife thought the induction method they used was ok. I would love to hear the thoughts about that.
I am thinking of you and your little one. Stick around. Great moms post on this thread who have been there and done that.

post #56 of 177

Can you please read my c-birth plan?

Hi all. I don't post to this thread very often, but I had an emergency c-section under general w/ my ds 3yrs. ago. I am currently pg w/ baby #2 and due in August... I am planning a repeat c-section. I was hoping you could read my c-section birth plan and tell me what you think, give suggestions, etc. (It is still a work in progress.) Thanks!

Cesarean Birth Plan

As this is a planned Cesarean birth, we are looking forward to a positive birth experience.
We want to participate in this birth to the fullest. We have listed our preferences below; these decisions have been made after much research, consultation, and thought. Therefore, your help in attaining these goals is very much appreciated.

On admission:
Sarah would like the catheter put in after receiving an epidural (I think? Maybe spinal)
Erick would like to remain with Sarah at all times before and during the surgery, even during the (epidural/spinal) insertion.

At the birth:
I would like to have one hand free to touch the baby.
No medications are to be given to me (including antibiotics, anti-nausea, pitocin, etc.), unless I give approval, after having been told about the medications and any possible side-effects they may have.
Erick and Sarah would both like the option of viewing the birth, by lowering the screen. Erick and Sarah would appreciate a verbal description of the birth as it occurs. We would like the birth to be as much like a natural birth as possible.
We would like to take pictures and/or video tape the birth.

Immediately following the birth:
Cord to be cut by Erick, (if he wants to).
Erick will remain with the baby at all times, if I am not able to accompany him/her.
All procedures to be done in the presence of one or both parents, preferably in our hospital room.
Erick will assist with the first washings/bath.
No eye ointment is to be given to our baby, we will sign a waiver if needed.
If there is a problem with the baby, Erick is to stay with him/her at all times, and Sarah wishes to join them as soon as possible.

*As we mentioned before, we realize there may be problems (some we may not have taken into consideration here) and we are willing to co-operate, all that we ask is that our informed consent be sought before any procedure, or medication is used. *

After the birth:
Sarah would like to feed her baby as soon as possible, and we would like the baby to stay with her throughout the surgery and during the recovery. Erick would be delighted to hold his child within Sarah's view throughout these procedures if she feels unable to participate in the bonding.

I plan to breastfeed the baby. No pacifiers, formula, or other artificial nipples or supplements are to be given unless my husband or I give prior approval. We will room-in as much as possible, and baby will be fed on demand. If baby is in nursery, please bring him/her to me whenever s/he signals that s/he is hungry (not on a schedule, but not longer than 3-4hrs. at night either).

If the baby is a boy, we would like him circumcised while in the hospital but an anesthetic MUST be used prior to the procedure! (No glucose water or pacifier dipped in glucose soultion is to be given.)

We prefer a private room. We would like Erick to spend the first night in the hospital with the baby and me. We would like our son (Lucas, age 3) to visit both me and the baby as soon as possible after delivery, along w/ my mother who will be accompanying him, and at least once each day while I am in the hospital.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read our Birth Plan, and I hope we can discuss any problems you see with it. We thank you in advance for your support and kind attention to our choices, as we look forward to a wonderful birth. Your support and co-operation is really appreciated.

Sarah and Erick Dahl
post #57 of 177
Thread Starter 
Your birth plan sounds perfect and very familiar to my own!

post #58 of 177

Mind if I join in?

I just had my second DD on 12/26 and it ended in a c-section. I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole thing, except for a bit of obvious disappointment. I'm not really beating myself up over how the birth ended, but just feeling generally like I don't want to tell very many people that I had a c/s because I fear people will judge me unfairly.

I have so many emotions to write out, but on one hand, I'm so afraid to deal with them just yet.
post #59 of 177
I think we can all relate to feeling that way- it is early yet. When you want to talk about how you feel about the birth experience, we'll all be here to listen and support.

I went through stages of being upset, being embarrassed, being defensive, etc. Try to remember the healthy baby, and that you did all you could to make sure that was the outcome, be a proud mama
post #60 of 177

Re: Mind if I join in?

Originally posted by Mom2AliKat
I just had my second DD on 12/26 and it ended in a c-section. I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole thing, except for a bit of obvious disappointment. I'm not really beating myself up over how the birth ended, but just feeling generally like I don't want to tell very many people that I had a c/s because I fear people will judge me unfairly.

I have so many emotions to write out, but on one hand, I'm so afraid to deal with them just yet.
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! Babies are such a blessing, even if they don't always come into the world the way we'd have liked.
All of us on this thread are working through similar feelings to yours and we are here to support you when you're ready to talk.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Cesarean support circle V (December 12)