Originally Posted by Lollicup
How sad to put your children at risk for bacteria meningitis.
Lollicup, I am sorry that your daughter was so very sick, and I'm glad that she's doing better. But your seemingly willful ignorance, your inability to hear and take in anything that anyone is saying to you that differs from your opinion, and your attacking of other mothers for making different decisions, is really bordering on offensive. You were actually yelling a few posts back. I mostly lurk on the vaccine board because I'm not there to debate, but to learn what I need to make decisions for my children. And I've learned a great deal, after hours of reading and researching. Your posts have become increasingly combative, and I just felt compelled to come out of the woodwork.
It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that you believe the hib shot had a role to play in your dd's meningitis, and yet you're practically yelling at other mothers to run out and get both the prevnar and hib. And I get what you're saying - meningitis has been so scary to you that if there's anything at all you could do to prevent it, you'd jump at the chance. But what many many posters have tried to point out, that you've not heard, is that it appears hib and prevnar don't reduce the overall chances of getting meningitis, and may even increase the risk for scarier, more virulent versions of those illnesses. PP have suggested several times that you do some research on serotype replacement before you make anymore decisions, or jump on others for their decisions. Have you done that? Have you read any of the research that shows that staph (including mrsa - which is killing children) may take the place of the strep that is fought off with the prevnar? You ask how parents would feel if their child contracted meningitis after not receiving hib. I'm going to ask you - how will you feel if your child contracts and dies of mrsa after receiving the prevnar?
What I am trying to point out to you is that many (if not all) of the parents here do a great deal of research and try to understand all sides of the issue before making a decision for their children. I get it - these decisions are life and death. But I am not going to run out and get a vaccine for my child based on a one-sided, fear-based decision.
::Steps down off of soapbox.:: I may get warned for this post, but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer. Again, I am really glad your daughter is okay.