or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2009 › What NFL things is this baby(ies) going to have to endure?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What NFL things is this baby(ies) going to have to endure?

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
I was going to ask who was cloth diapering. Then I was wondering who was co-sleeping. Then I was wondering if anyone was going to babywear, EC, UC, HB.... and the list just kept growing!

So how about it? What are our poor August babies going to have to endure on the crunchy front?


Our LOs are going to be breastfed on demand, cloth diapered, worn as much as possible (how am I going to manage this with twins when they are bigger???). I feel like we have such a short list this time around because NFL has become such a part of life we don't even think about it anymore. With our first babies we had to really work on implementing each thing we felt important for the family. Weird how things change.

We had wanted to UC and EC but then we saw 2 on the U/S

We also are a homeschooling GD family with whole food and growing our own food goals.
post #2 of 64
For me the babies will have to endure, lol, the following:

-trying to push the twins out the vagina, babies will get squeezed (clarification, depending on what's medically best for my babes)
-hooked on mamma's breasts until at least 12 months, maybe more
-EC
-cloth diapers, thank you for the preson who gave me the rec on diaper service in LA
-i won't give them anything but baby food made by own hands
-baby wear as much as possible, I gotta still figure that out.
post #3 of 64
Cloth diapering
Nursing on demand
Tandem nursing with my toddler, provided she doesn't wean before then. (my milk has been dry for weeks now...)
Co sleeping
Baby wearing
Non intervention birth
Delayed solids
post #4 of 64
haha homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no vaxing (which isnt so bad not having being injected with poison right?), babywearing, delayed solids, alternative schooling (we have great co-ops here), that placenta is going to be eaten and the rest put in the garden!
post #5 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasAnn View Post
Cloth diapering
Nursing on demand
Tandem nursing with my toddler, provided she doesn't wean before then. (my milk has been dry for weeks now...)
Co sleeping
Baby wearing
Non intervention birth
Delayed solids
Oh my gosh i just realized we'll be tandem nursing. I had planned on nursing the twins and offering some to my 2 year old (she's 1 now) who was weaned when my HG caused me to dry up

Delayed solids as well. Also doing our own baby food. And delayed and selective vaxing if at all.
post #6 of 64
ahhh! totally forgot about no vaxing since I've never viewed that as particularly "crunchy". A lot of non crunchy parents in our area don't vax. :-)
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoet View Post
haha homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no vaxing (which isnt so bad not having being injected with poison right?), babywearing, delayed solids, alternative schooling (we have great co-ops here), that placenta is going to be eaten and the rest put in the garden!
curious -- what does placenta taste like. i've heard of all of the benefits. but i get squeamish around blood.
post #8 of 64
I'm going to cloth diaper, (that reminds me I really need to get started on buying a stash ), babywear as much as possible which is pretty often, nurse on demand, co sleep, birth at home, delay solids, not vaccinate, if it's a boy he will not be circ'd.

I do have a small garden but it doesn't get much sun so it's mostly for herbs...I wish I had enough room to grow my own food!

Babies are supposed to be squeezed during vaj birth...it gets the fluid out of their lungs. That's one of the reasons C/S babies are more likely to have NICU stays, fluid in the lungs causes all sorts of problems.

Babywearing with twins...man, just wear one at a time? There is a twin carry you can do with the moby wrap when the twins are still young. I've seen some mamas do one baby on the back and one on the front with like two mei tais or something..but it always seemed super uncomfortable to me. I'd probably just wear one at a time. But what if they were both screaming? Maybe just hold them both at the same time, one for each arm

ETA: I was thinking about encapsulating the placenta but I honestly don't have the stomach for that. Maybe if I can find someone to do it for me...but it's not like a service you find in the yellow pages
post #9 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.Mamma View Post
curious -- what does placenta taste like. i've heard of all of the benefits. but i get squeamish around blood.
If you're squeemish you can always dry it and put it in pill form.
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I was going to ask who was cloth diapering. Then I was wondering who was co-sleeping. Then I was wondering if anyone was going to babywear, EC, UC, HB.... and the list just kept growing!

So how about it? What are our poor August babies going to have to endure on the crunchy front?


Our LOs are going to be breastfed on demand, cloth diapered, worn as much as possible (how am I going to manage this with twins when they are bigger???). I feel like we have such a short list this time around because NFL has become such a part of life we don't even think about it anymore. With our first babies we had to really work on implementing each thing we felt important for the family. Weird how things change.

We had wanted to UC and EC but then we saw 2 on the U/S

We also are a homeschooling GD family with whole food and growing our own food goals.
I'm having a hospital birth with none of the following:
epidural, invasive fetal monitoring, episiotomy, immediate cord clamping/whisking away, disposable diapers, vit K, circumcision, heb B.

My little man will also have to endure all the crunchy child-rearing ways when we get home:
breastfeeding on demand/tandeming with big bro, being worn, co-sleeping, delayed homemade foods. We're going to give UC a shot when our small stash is grown out of.

Torn on vaccines. DS1 is completely-up-to-date and while we had zero issues, that just won't be happening again...

Big on GD around here, will be homeschooling, and plan to grow much of our own food when we make it to South Florida late next year.
post #11 of 64
NO CLUE mama! hahah, haven't tasted it yet, but I hear that putting a slice in a smoothie and drinking that right after birth has amazing benefits like slowing pp bleeding and warding off PPD.

I had PPD pretty bad with both my boys, so I'm really looking to prevent that from happening this time.
post #12 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I'm going to cloth diaper, (that reminds me I really need to get started on buying a stash ), babywear as much as possible which is pretty often, nurse on demand, co sleep, birth at home, delay solids, not vaccinate, if it's a boy he will not be circ'd.

I do have a small garden but it doesn't get much sun so it's mostly for herbs...I wish I had enough room to grow my own food!

Babies are supposed to be squeezed during vaj birth...it gets the fluid out of their lungs. That's one of the reasons C/S babies are more likely to have NICU stays, fluid in the lungs causes all sorts of problems.

Babywearing with twins...man, just wear one at a time? There is a twin carry you can do with the moby wrap when the twins are still young. I've seen some mamas do one baby on the back and one on the front with like two mei tais or something..but it always seemed super uncomfortable to me. I'd probably just wear one at a time. But what if they were both screaming? Maybe just hold them both at the same time, one for each arm

ETA: I was thinking about encapsulating the placenta but I honestly don't have the stomach for that. Maybe if I can find someone to do it for me...but it's not like a service you find in the yellow pages
Yup! Those are my dilemmas with wearing older twins. When they are NBs I'll put them in the moby at the same time.
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by samikashi View Post

Torn on vaccines. DS1 is completely-up-to-date and while we had zero issues, that just won't be happening again...
You could delay til babe is about two or so? Do some reading about delaying if you're not 100% for not vaxing. Good luck!
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by samikashi View Post
I'm having a hospital birth with none of the following:
epidural, invasive fetal monitoring, episiotomy, immediate cord clamping/whisking away, disposable diapers, vit K, circumcision, heb B.

My little man will also have to endure all the crunchy child-rearing ways when we get home:
breastfeeding on demand/tandeming with big bro, being worn, co-sleeping, delayed homemade foods. We're going to give UC a shot when our small stash is grown out of.

Torn on vaccines. DS1 is completely-up-to-date and while we had zero issues, that just won't be happening again...

Big on GD around here, will be homeschooling, and plan to grow much of our own food when we make it to South Florida late next year.
Oh yeah, that reminds me, I won't be doing vit K unless the baby has severe bruising, no eye drops, declining both AFP and GD testing in pregnancy (unless I start showing symptoms of GD). I'm not homeschooling (but I'm open to it if my kids don't do well in regular school), and I do attempt to discipline gently, though I sometimes fall short of the mark.
post #15 of 64
LOL I thought you were talking about Football. And I don't even like sports
post #16 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Oh yeah, that reminds me, I won't be doing vit K unless the baby has severe bruising, no eye drops, declining both AFP and GD testing in pregnancy (unless I start showing symptoms of GD). I'm not homeschooling (but I'm open to it if my kids don't do well in regular school), and I do attempt to discipline gently, though I sometimes fall short of the mark.
Who doesn't sometimes fall short?

Yes I forgot as well- no vit k or eye drops. For some reason the Pedi at the hospital with my last baby had a fit when I said no eye drops. I mean, really?! It's not that huge of a deal.
post #17 of 64
Yeah seriously, I have no idea how baby wearing will go when they get bigger. It looks pretty easy when they're little.. but later on I may be super uncomfie. Ugh, I dunno. I wanna wear both!!
post #18 of 64
We won't be doing the eye drops either. For some reason I was thinking that and vit K were one in the same, but.. they're not.
post #19 of 64
We plan on:

Homebirth
Breastfeeding on demand
Baby wearing
Delayed solids (all food made by me when we do start solids & no rice cereal)
EC with cloth diapers as back-ups
Co-sleeping for a year or so
Delayed/selective vax
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Who doesn't sometimes fall short?

Yes I forgot as well- no vit k or eye drops. For some reason the Pedi at the hospital with my last baby had a fit when I said no eye drops. I mean, really?! It's not that huge of a deal.
This is true. I sometimes feel like I am worst than most becuase of my past...I can hear my mother's voice coming out of my mouth and it makes me feel awful about myself. It's hard to break the cycle. I'm working hard on it and I go to therapy weekly, though.

I don't get why they have such fits over those darn eye drops! Most moms do not have a venereal disease, come on! At least 90% of the time they are not needed. It's so silly. I tried to deny them in my last hospital birth but they made such an issue of it I didn't want to deal with it and I just was like "ok fine do it."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2009
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2009 › What NFL things is this baby(ies) going to have to endure?