or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Happy Spring!! Chat thread: March 21 - 27
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Happy Spring!! Chat thread: March 21 - 27 - Page 21

post #401 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
My test says "Methylene - THF Reductase." I'm sure Shannon can give more of a description of what it is.
MethyleneTetraHydraFolate Reductase. Or something close, anyway It's the enzyme responsible for converting between forms of folate. Folic acid is on one side, and 'active' folate is on the other. If you have mutations in that enzyme, you're special and get to join the club where you throw out your multivitamin and/or B complex with folic acid in it, cause it's making you worse, and start eating lentils and other folate-rich foods. Then you feel invinceable and are immune to cancer
post #402 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Disclaimer: I do not recommend trying this at home.

But, I had cilantro (juiced), plus 16 ounces of kombucha a couple of days in a row, as I recall. Oh, and several tablespoons of coconut oil each day.
TMI alert:

ETA: oh, Tanya, I remembered in the shower, that I also had toxins excreting through my skin. My first ever eczema, several palm-sized areas in my groin, first v. yeast infection in 10-15 years, and a couple of cold sores or sore mouth or thrush?, I can't find the post in the CSS thread with the details. And anal itching and inflamed hemorrhoids I didn't know existed. All of that lasted for a week or so.


Good luck, guinea pig.

Pat
post #403 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Can I ask what MTHFR stands for? Just trying to follow and learn...
Exactly what it sound like.


Pat
post #404 of 468
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Exactly what it sound like.
Pat
I think your MTHFR gene is showing, Pat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
TMI alert:

ETA: oh, Tanya, I remembered in the shower, that I also had toxins excreting through my skin. My first ever eczema, several palm-sized areas in my groin, first v. yeast infection in 10-15 years, and a couple of cold sores or sore mouth or thrush?, I can't find the post in the CSS thread with the details. And anal itching and inflamed hemorrhoids I didn't know existed. All of that lasted for a week or so.

Good luck, guinea pig.

Pat
post #405 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I'm wondering if the high copper levels are a response to excess candida in the body?

Also, didn't someone have high calcium and high copper? That seems to point to adrenals big time, which all pointed back to poor digestion and inadequate stomach acid.

Avoid the antacids!!!!!!!!!!!
Pick me! Pick me! (for the high copper, high calcium, low adrenal). Do I get a gold star?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post

My metabolism was totally shot about halfway through my pregnancy with DS1. I wonder if it was the extra stress on my liver that finally did me in? Or maybe just the extra stress on my adrenals... hmm... Of course, it could just be the rest of my life finally having caught up with me. Steroids, check, BCP, check, antibiotics, check, amalgams, check.... With very few exceptions, I read like a checklist of what NOT to do.
Steroids (a couple times in my life for poison ivy), BCP for like .... 16 years, antibiotics for like... 7 years... 10 fillings... Does THAT get me a gold star too?

And I went to the doctor today for DD2's well baby check. She has KP. And my rash/reaction to the abx is ECZEMA. I've never had eczema and it doesn't look like my kids' eczema. But it was the same doctor that I had seen for my UTI and he asked how the rash was doing and wanted to see it, so I showed him and he said it wasn't a typical abx allergy reaction but that the abx could have set it off. UGH. So now I have to figure out if it was indeed the abx or if something else triggered it.

Now I have to go back in these chat threads to figure out when DD1's eczema on her thighs started and see when it was in relation to mine. Double ugh.
post #406 of 468
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Steroids (a couple times in my life for poison ivy), BCP for like .... 16 years, antibiotics for like... 7 years... 10 fillings... Does THAT get me a gold star too?

And I went to the doctor today for DD2's well baby check. She has KP. And my rash/reaction to the abx is ECZEMA. I've never had eczema and it doesn't look like my kids' eczema. But it was the same doctor that I had seen for my UTI and he asked how the rash was doing and wanted to see it, so I showed him and he said it wasn't a typical abx allergy reaction but that the abx could have set it off. UGH. So now I have to figure out if it was indeed the abx or if something else triggered it.

Now I have to go back in these chat threads to figure out when DD1's eczema on her thighs started and see when it was in relation to mine. Double ugh.
I was put on inhaled steroids at 10 yo for asthma (only got off them last year- so 18 or 19 years?), BCP at 11 yo for severe, debilitating, prolonged menstrual bleeding and cramping (my mom took me to the ER at one point because she thought I was hemorrhaging), antibiotics off and on since I was 8 yo for chronic sinusitis, bronchitis and pneumonia (until I was about 23 and learned about the magic of garlic and horseradish)... only 4 or 5 fillings though. Yay me! I suck.
I'm having a huge pity party over here today. I've been pukey and nauseous all day and DH is probably going to be bitter when he gets home because apparently SBIL got ANOTHER dog (he has a small zoo going on downstairs).

Oh and I meant that my metabolism tanked while I was pregnant with ds1, not that it only sucked while I was pregnant with him.
post #407 of 468
Jacqueline, what _is_ that smiley supposed to be? I'm seeing several things in it, one of which is more in the adult category than I thought MDC was aiming for.
post #408 of 468
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Jacqueline, what _is_ that smiley supposed to be? I'm seeing several things in it, one of which is more in the adult category than I thought MDC was aiming for.
*turns her head sideways trying to figure out what you're talking about* Please pm me with what you're seeing?
It's a mama bfing 2 babies. I think the bfing MoMs were feeling left out and now they have their own smilie for bfing.
post #409 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Jacqueline, what _is_ that smiley supposed to be? I'm seeing several things in it, one of which is more in the adult category than I thought MDC was aiming for.
I saw BFing twins too. Tanya, what did YOU see?
post #410 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Disclaimer: I do not recommend trying this at home.

But, I had cilantro (juiced), plus 16 ounces of kombucha a couple of days in a row, as I recall. Oh, and several tablespoons of coconut oil each day.

I'd had 16 ounces of kombucha previous, usually just 1/2 a bottle at a time. But, without the coconut oil. I'd used small amounts of coconut oil in cooking, but not raw on the tablespoon dosing. And the cilantro seems to mostly just get tossed through the juicer and out the fiber discard bucket (ie. not much juiced). So, I'm not sure it was the kombucha, as much as the combo. Or mostly the coconut oil and the quantity of kombucha. Telling you, major headache. Finally took some Brazil nuts, vit C and it got better within a day. The brain-fog lasted a few days though.

ETA: forgot the nausea and achy, flu-like symptoms that menomena mentioned.


Pat
Thank you for the details. It may have been more the cilantro than anything else, one of the other things my HCP said I could try (since I called and said I'm doing great, I want to bump things up a notch) was chopping up just a bit of cilantro and chewing it well--with a specific warning not to, say, be frugal and think I had to eat the whole bunch. But I'm still leery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
TMI alert:

ETA: oh, Tanya, I remembered in the shower, that I also had toxins excreting through my skin. My first ever eczema, several palm-sized areas in my groin, first v. yeast infection in 10-15 years, and a couple of cold sores or sore mouth or thrush?, I can't find the post in the CSS thread with the details. And anal itching and inflamed hemorrhoids I didn't know existed. All of that lasted for a week or so.


Good luck, guinea pig.

Pat
Thank you for the warning, I will keep it in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
*turns her head sideways trying to figure out what you're talking about* Please pm me with what you're seeing?
It's a mama bfing 2 babies. I think the bfing MoMs were feeling left out and now they have their own smilie for bfing.
Um, let's just say that I was thinking hands were coming over mom's shoulders (someone wearing a green shirt). My other thought was why this woman was sitting on a clam shell (that was just confusing). This is one of the reasons I am horrible at things like video games, I just don't see what's really there.
post #411 of 468
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Um, let's just say that I was thinking hands were coming over mom's shoulders (someone wearing a green shirt). My other thought was why this woman was sitting on a clam shell (that was just confusing). This is one of the reasons I am horrible at things like video games, I just don't see what's really there.
:
post #412 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
It could be amines, or mold allergy. I'm more inclined to think mold/fungus issue, since you do bone broth, right? But there are different amines, so it might be a vinegar-specific one?

Didn't you say your current place is moldy? I wonder if that's contributing to/creating a mold allergy that makes vinegar no good? Isn't aspergillus a mold too?
hmmm... we do do bone broth. So if it was a mold/fungus issue, wouldn't all ferments bother us?
Yeah- aspergillus is a mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I'd think salicylates, which suggests a blocked detox pathway. Grapes and apples are high in salicylates.


Pat
Well, we've done both apples and grapes in my crazy new rotation, and no reaction. Of course we just did them once, and I'd been using the ACV for a few days straight (for soaking grains) before noticing a reaction.
post #413 of 468
Chlobo - my basic is organic celery cukes (English ones to avoid the wax, but not organic) and organic romaine and grapes. The kids get a lot more grapes than me. I slowly added in the greens for them. If I have too many juiced grapes my thrush starts to bother me. We also do an apple. A couple of times a week I do some beet, but not for the boys , unless I use that juice as ice pops. They don't notice the vegetal flavor as much frozen.
Sometimes I do different greens too but this mixture really works for me so I don't want to mess with it much
HTH
post #414 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
hmmm... we do do bone broth. So if it was a mold/fungus issue, wouldn't all ferments bother us?
Yeah- aspergillus is a mold.

Well, we've done both apples and grapes in my crazy new rotation, and no reaction. Of course we just did them once, and I'd been using the ACV for a few days straight (for soaking grains) before noticing a reaction.
But broccoli and zucchini and honey are also pretty high in salicylates. I vote not that.

Just like there are lots of different amines, there are lots of different molds. Not all ferments will be the same. I'd go look up what microbes make acetic acid, and I'm betting you find aspergillus (I'm remembering right that you're sensitive to that one, right?) I wonder if you tested the mold (I'm thinking was) in your apartment if you'd find aspergillus, too? Wouldn't it be neat if most of dd's issues could be traced to molybdenum and aspergillus?
post #415 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
But broccoli and zucchini and honey are also pretty high in salicylates. I vote not that.

Just like there are lots of different amines, there are lots of different molds. Not all ferments will be the same. I'd go look up what microbes make acetic acid, and I'm betting you find aspergillus (I'm remembering right that you're sensitive to that one, right?) I wonder if you tested the mold (I'm thinking was) in your apartment if you'd find aspergillus, too? Wouldn't it be neat if most of dd's issues could be traced to molybdenum and aspergillus?
That would be pretty crazy. But then, what to do about it? (Besides moving out of this apartment, which we will hopefully be doing soon...)
post #416 of 468
Thread Starter 
SBIL just went to the store to get "supplies" for his little cookout he's planning to do with DS1 tomorrow. He was up here asking what kind of hot dogs were okay and what not... His mom was talking to DH about $ stuff the other day and DH was saying to her "You know, it's not like we can just go and eat anywhere if we don't have money for groceries. NO ONE we know has food that DS1 can eat... including you." (She was giving him flack about the house not getting fixed more quickly because he's been holding onto at least 1 month's pay for emergencies since she sometimes decides that she doesn't have to pay him...) So, I had this little convo with SBIL just now:
Me: He has no hot dog buns.
SBIL: Oh we'll pick some up.
Me: No. He can't eat wheat...
SBIL <interrupting>: Okay, so we'll get white.
Me: Um. No. He can't eat FLOUR.
SBIL: We'll get potato buns.
Me: .... They still use flour. They don't sell hot dog buns anywhere in town which he can eat.
SBIL: Oh. Uh. Okay.... Can he have relish?
Me: We have relish he can eat... he reacts to most vinegar.
SBIL: Oh okay, so I'll just those hot dogs you named and marshmallows then.
Me: .... He can't eat marshmallows from the store... I'd have to make them.
SBIL <blank stare>: Are you serious?
Me: Yes... If you're thinking s'mores, I could probably make some marshmallows and we have safe chocolate and something resembling graham crackers which he can eat.
SBIL: ..... Oh.... Okay...

Wonder if they'll start to get it now? One can hope, right?
post #417 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Me: He has no hot dog buns.
SBIL: Oh we'll pick some up.
Me: No. He can't eat wheat...
SBIL <interrupting>: Okay, so we'll get white.
Me: Um. No. He can't eat FLOUR.
SBIL: We'll get potato buns.
Me: .... They still use flour. They don't sell hot dog buns anywhere in town which he can eat.
SBIL: Oh. Uh. Okay.... Can he have relish?
Me: We have relish he can eat... he reacts to most vinegar.
SBIL: Oh okay, so I'll just those hot dogs you named and marshmallows then.
Me: .... He can't eat marshmallows from the store... I'd have to make them.
SBIL <blank stare>: Are you serious?
Me: Yes... If you're thinking s'mores, I could probably make some marshmallows and we have safe chocolate and something resembling graham crackers which he can eat.
SBIL: ..... Oh.... Okay...

Wonder if they'll start to get it now? One can hope, right?
I'm betting that no, they still won't get it. Sorry. I'd rather be safe than sorry letting someone feed my child. I have to REALLY know they understand ALLLL the terms, and there's only a few people that I trust that much. I've probably mentioned before, DH doesn't even trust himself to feed the kids. He'll only give them EXACTLY what I tell him to, when I leave the kids with him (I have to go work at the nursery school fundraising Snoopy Fair for 6 hours tomorrow, leaving the kids with him -- that should be fun -- I'd better leave my cell phone turned on).
post #418 of 468
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I'm betting that no, they still won't get it. Sorry. I'd rather be safe than sorry letting someone feed my child. I have to REALLY know they understand ALLLL the terms, and there's only a few people that I trust that much. I've probably mentioned before, DH doesn't even trust himself to feed the kids. He'll only give them EXACTLY what I tell him to, when I leave the kids with him (I have to go work at the nursery school fundraising Snoopy Fair for 6 hours tomorrow, leaving the kids with him -- that should be fun -- I'd better leave my cell phone turned on).
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trusting him in the least. The "cookout" is a fire in our backyard and DH and I will be out there as well.

ETA: It was basically more one of those funny because it's so pathetic stories, iykwim, b/c they ARE so clueless as to what "living like we do" is like and so completely disconnected from what is in their food... I still cannot get over the fact that people don't realize that flour is wheat.
post #419 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl5 View Post
Would you consider posting your recipe/process for this if it works out? Very intriguing...
Essentially it was this:

1C sorghum flour + 1/2 C millet flour + 1C water kefir, let sit overnight (bowl covered with - clean - dish towel) and into the morning.

Add 1/2C potato starch (not flour) + 1/4 tsp salt + 2 tsp xanthan gum + 4T oil + 2T honey + 1 egg (or equiv). Let sit (same bowl, covered with same dish towel) until ready to put onto pans. [I actually added the xanthan gum later b/c I wanted it to work without it.)

Preheat oven to 350*F.

Grease 2 cookie sheets liberally with oil. Divide dough/batter in half. With wet hands (rewetting as needed) spread dough to edges of pans. Top with sauce and veggies (and bacon!)

It was good, but honestly too sweet. Next time, maybe goat's yogurt or half-kefir/half-water? And no potato starch. maybe replaced with more millet? or more sorghum? I think next week I've got sweet rice flour & millet flour to work with... I was trying to modify a yeast bread recipe I had. I think just grains w/o extra starches would be better. We're doing Pizza Fridays here, so I'll report back next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Has anyone seen this smilie yet?
I thought at first it was a lady with a tray of oddly shaped carrots or something. I'm with Tanya: I can't play "realistic" video games b/c I never see what I'm supposed to be seeing. Drives my (video game addict) DH crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
just want to "announce"
I'm heading in a new direction, I decided at least a week ago now..I'm planning to finish up whatever supplements I do have, and try something else.
Love & light mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I soak whole grains in kefir overnight (after blending them in the blender with the kefir), then add sprouted flour to make the dough. Sue Gregg has a pizza dough recipe somewhere on her site. http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/brea...erwafflesA.htm I bought the sprouted flour online here: http://www.building-health.com/organ...-lbs-p-48.html

But, she suggests just using white flour to bulk up the dough. Or, I can grind whole grains (dry) in my blender to coarse and sift out, regrind, sift out, regrind to get fresh whole grain flour. It is a hassle, but then I have whole grain flour. I refrigerate the dough overnight (or for days) before using it. So, it softens the phytic acid during that time some. Or you could let it rise on the counter for the day. (I add a bit of ACV, if I don't use the kefir).

do you follow? Basically, I adapted Peter Reinharts' refrigerated/fermented pizza dough http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html to Sue Gregg's blender batter recipe. Sue just describes the process and gives approximate recipes.
I do follow what you're saying; I think. However, I'm not just concerned about the phytic acid. I'm actually not digesting my grains at all, even when soaked for 12+ hrs in water with ACV. Like, the come out completely whole. It's... disturbing. So, I'm trying actual fermented grains and legumes (like idlis/dosas and injera, etc). I seem to be okay with those - no bloating/cramps/poo issues, but since they're not whole grains, I can't tell how well I'm absorbing. I know that fermenting (not just soaking/sprouting - since sprouts go through me whole, too - that was a horrifying 2 minutes last week when I thought I'd pooped out worms) is like "predigesting" your food, so I'm hoping this will be okay. If I'm still having lingering issues, I will do SCD-style no grains whatsoever. But, given the 5lbs dropped over the course of several days, despite eating fermented grains and legumes, I think I may be okay. *fingers crossed*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
MethyleneTetraHydraFolate Reductase. Or something close, anyway It's the enzyme responsible for converting between forms of folate. Folic acid is on one side, and 'active' folate is on the other. If you have mutations in that enzyme, you're special and get to join the club where you throw out your multivitamin and/or B complex with folic acid in it, cause it's making you worse, and start eating lentils and other folate-rich foods. Then you feel invinceable and are immune to cancer
So, what does it mean if for some reason folate makes you grumpy? or is it more likely since i'm not digesting my lentils, it's more about the food source than it is the folate itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
That would be pretty crazy. But then, what to do about it? (Besides moving out of this apartment, which we will hopefully be doing soon...)
Visualize your new home (which is coming to you soon!) free of mold; a healthy place (in many facets) for your family to grown and THRIVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
So, I had this little convo with SBIL just now... Wonder if they'll start to get it now? One can hope, right?
MAN. : Maybe the 227th time will finally click. SO frustrating.
post #420 of 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Pick me! Pick me! (for the high copper, high calcium, low adrenal). Do I get a gold star?



Steroids (a couple times in my life for poison ivy), BCP for like .... 16 years, antibiotics for like... 7 years... 10 fillings... Does THAT get me a gold star too?

GOLD STAR: http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/PDS...2/LS018644.jpg

GOLD STAR:
http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/PDS...2/LS018644.jpg

Pat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Happy Spring!! Chat thread: March 21 - 27