or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Minnesota, Wisconsin › A hands-off homebirth midwife in MN
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A hands-off homebirth midwife in MN

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know of a midwife in the metro area who routinely practices in a hands-off style?

If not, do you know of one who will practice this way if a client wants it?
post #2 of 34
I had a fairly hands-off waterbirth with Rachael McGraw of Riversong Midwifery. No vaginal exams at all, very unobtrusive fetal heart rate checks with a doppler, she was in the house but not in the room for most of my labor.
Prenatal appointments with her are an hour long, so by the time labor came we knew each other fairly well and were not strangers. That helped a lot.
post #3 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaske View Post
I had a fairly hands-off waterbirth with Rachael McGraw of Riversong Midwifery. No vaginal exams at all, very unobtrusive fetal heart rate checks with a doppler, she was in the house but not in the room for most of my labor.
Prenatal appointments with her are an hour long, so by the time labor came we knew each other fairly well and were not strangers. That helped a lot.
What about the actual birth? Did she touch the baby or you as the baby was being born? What about third stage? Was she just as quiet and unobtrusive as in labor, or was their a lot of talking and/or business going on? You can PM me with the answers if you're more comfortable doing that. Thanks.
post #4 of 34
:
post #5 of 34
Give Jeanne Bazille a call. She is more hands-off than the other midwives I interviewed, and is happy to work with moms.

I did have vaginal exams, but I asked for them. She did touch me during 3rd stage, but not much, and I didn't mind. I assume that if I had asked for her to be more hands-off, it wouldn't have been a problem.
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
Give Jeanne Bazille a call. She is more hands-off than the other midwives I interviewed, and is happy to work with moms.

I did have vaginal exams, but I asked for them. She did touch me during 3rd stage, but not much, and I didn't mind. I assume that if I had asked for her to be more hands-off, it wouldn't have been a problem.
I interviewed Jeanne, she seemed great!! I finally decided that I would try for a UC, always a non-invasive option, in the end Finnley's heart rate kept declerating, and it was in the middle of the night in a huge snowstorm so we made the trek to St.Joes, and had a fab. birth in the water :

Finn had a true knot in his cord + it was wrapped around his neck 2x, I am lucky to have had a easy fast water birth with m/ws then have gotten cut!!!
post #7 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
I interviewed Jeanne, she seemed great!! I finally decided that I would try for a UC, always a non-invasive option, in the end Finnley's heart rate kept declerating, and it was in the middle of the night in a huge snowstorm so we made the trek to St.Joes, and had a fab. birth in the water :

Finn had a true knot in his cord + it was wrapped around his neck 2x, I am lucky to have had a easy fast water birth with m/ws then have gotten cut!!!
I considered UC, since that is really the type of birth I want. However, after searching for quite some time last time and selecting what I thought was a great hospital with a midwife unit complete with birthing rooms with tubs, I ended up having a very traumatizing experience. Therefore, I have completely lost my faith in hospitals no matter how nice or naturally oriented they may appear, in fact, I still panic almost four years later when I drive in the area that mine is in. I don't want a UC because if something happens that alarms me, then I would be forced to go into the hospital and this would be very traumatic for me. I would prefer to have a midwife so that there is a greater chance of me having a homebirth.

Thanks for the input about Jeanne, I will add her to my list of potential midwives.

By the way, I'm not pregnant yet, I just feel I need to find a midwife first before I will be able to be comfortable. Thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming if anyone has more
post #8 of 34
I'm sorry you had a tramtic birth Have you checked out the local API group? I think I read some posts on their yahoo group about a healing birth workshop?
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
I'm sorry you had a tramtic birth Have you checked out the local API group? I think I read some posts on their yahoo group about a healing birth workshop?

I remember reading your hospital birth story. I agree, lots of good info on the local API list. You can get more info on the Birth Healing wkshop here:

http://parentingoasis.com/
post #10 of 34
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info both of you. I've seen the information for the workshop and am considering going to it in the future. I'm also in therapy, and have really been taking many steps to try to work through the trauma - though it is very slow going. What is the link for the API group? Thanks everyone, and if anyone has anymore midwife suggestions that would be great. There used to be a thread here on this topic but I can't seem to find it now, but I know there were a few midwives mentioned on that thread.
post #11 of 34
Rolla Crandall is a hands off midwife. No vaginal exams ever, ect.
post #12 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
Rolla Crandall is a hands off midwife. No vaginal exams ever, ect.
Does she allow baby to be birthed without her touching baby or mom? Does she stay quiet and calm during third stage, and not intervene with placenta coming out, etc.? You can PM me if you would prefer. Thanks for the recommendation.
post #13 of 34
post #14 of 34
Still :
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennica View Post
Does she allow baby to be birthed without her touching baby or mom? Does she stay quiet and calm during third stage, and not intervene with placenta coming out, etc.? You can PM me if you would prefer. Thanks for the recommendation.
Sorry haven't been here in awhile. To answer your questions....Yes and yes....I really think she's the type of midwife you are looking for.

I think her first was c-sec, the next all at home, a few planned unassisted, just her and her DH.
post #16 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
Sorry haven't been here in awhile. To answer your questions....Yes and yes....I really think she's the type of midwife you are looking for.

I think her first was c-sec, the next all at home, a few planned unassisted, just her and her DH.
Sounds great, I definitely be giving her a call. Thanks for responding back.
post #17 of 34
Jennica - I am a birth photographer, and I have seen a handful of births with area midwives. I would say that Jane Kirby and Jeannie Bazille are the most hands-off that I have seen. They would probably even sit in the other room and only come in if you wanted them to during your birth.

And speaking of the API forum, I am hosting a Birth Sharing Night at my house in Burnsville on Saturday, April 25. It might be very healing for you to come and hear birth stories, share your own or just listen... and get warm and fuzzy about all things birth.
post #18 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alli437 View Post
Jennica - I am a birth photographer, and I have seen a handful of births with area midwives. I would say that Jane Kirby and Jeannie Bazille are the most hands-off that I have seen. They would probably even sit in the other room and only come in if you wanted them to during your birth.

And speaking of the API forum, I am hosting a Birth Sharing Night at my house in Burnsville on Saturday, April 25. It might be very healing for you to come and hear birth stories, share your own or just listen... and get warm and fuzzy about all things birth.
PMing you :
post #19 of 34
Another suggestion. I have heard great things about her.


Nickie Kerrigan, CD, TM, LC
Kiki Enterprises
Helping Hands Labor and Birth Support
Lactation Support Service
Natural Remedies & Ointments
Nutritional Counseling
"Changing Birth, one birth at a time!"
helping44hands@yahoo.com
post #20 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Another suggestion. I have heard great things about her.


Nickie Kerrigan, CD, TM, LC
Kiki Enterprises
Helping Hands Labor and Birth Support
Lactation Support Service
Natural Remedies & Ointments
Nutritional Counseling
"Changing Birth, one birth at a time!"
helping44hands@yahoo.com
I've seen her name come up before on these types of threads. Only, is she still the director of the doula program at HCMC? Would that be her back-up hospital then? Or do midwives not have specific back-up arrangements?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Minnesota, Wisconsin
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Minnesota, Wisconsin › A hands-off homebirth midwife in MN