or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Time for Spring Cleaning!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time for Spring Cleaning!

post #1 of 100
Thread Starter 
Even though we're getting a foot of snow this week .

Anyway, I have the urge to purge - and will be acting on it! I'm going to start with the worst part - the coat closet : . I can't remember the last time the floor saw daylight. Then I'm going to do the kids' toys & books, then their clothes.

Freecycle will become my new best friend : .
post #2 of 100
I just started yesterday. I tackled the girls room (after I finished the March challenge room) and it is so clean, it sparkles. I have to get some stuff from Ikea as we threw out a ton of furniture that was broken.

I downloaded a great book from simplemmom.net about spring cleaning. It was very inspiring and I am following it as I clean (I have two weeks before my mom comes to visit so I am inspired... she is a clean freak).
post #3 of 100
Thread Starter 
Oh, thanks for the website recommendation! That's AWESOME!

Good luck! Hope you get your cleaning done too!
post #4 of 100
joining you all. i want it all gone if only then i dont have to deal with the STUFF anymore.

but since i dont live in a van traveling i dont think that will happen. instead i am getting rid of as much as possible.

lookout freestore here i come!
post #5 of 100
I'm with you all. I've been hitting up my kitchen, laundry room, linen closet and my bedroom hard. I have one small pile left in my bedroom--DH even cleaned his closet--the first time in nearly 5 years! I've had an endless stream of STUFF out for Freecycle for the past 2 weeks.
Next week my girls are going to their grandparents' house for a few days and I will be hitting up their room and the nursery then. I don't want them to see what I'm purging!
I will get this house under control soon!
post #6 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2CarolineLydia View Post
I'm with you all. I've been hitting up my kitchen, laundry room, linen closet and my bedroom hard. I have one small pile left in my bedroom--DH even cleaned his closet--the first time in nearly 5 years! I've had an endless stream of STUFF out for Freecycle for the past 2 weeks.
Next week my girls are going to their grandparents' house for a few days and I will be hitting up their room and the nursery then. I don't want them to see what I'm purging!
I will get this house under control soon!
: You have a great attitude towards it, good for you! I'm getting there LOL. Tomorrow morning I'm tackling the coat closet, ugh. Had some unexpected guests stop by today.

My goal for the year is to get completely organized, and stay that way! I can do it!
post #7 of 100
The spring cleaning bug bit me a few weeks ago! So far I've cleared out the playroom closet, purged TONS of toys, rearranged the playroom, threw out an old couch, cleared off the stairs landing (it was really really REALLY bad), organized the entertainment center, sorted the boys' clothes, cleared and organized the linen closet, pulled out the stove and fridge and cleaned under there, given away the high chair and infant carseat, and I've been extra diligent about staying on top of the laundry and dishes. My next projects are clearing off the top of the fridge and cabinets (stuff accumulates up there because the kids can't reach it!) and decluttering the hall closet (I'll admit I don't even know what's in there).

Already the house feels so much lighter, and I'm loving it! It's great being able to open the windows again and hear the birds, too. Ah, spring, I've missed you! :
post #8 of 100
subbing.

I can't start spring purging until next week because I'm backed up on sewing projects that MUST be done this week. But I'm raring to go! I want to start with our bedroom closet. Ugh. It's a nightmare in there. And the older cat has been sleeping in there so there's cat hair on the luggage and on the ends of all the long skirts, coats and pants hanging up.
post #9 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
The spring cleaning bug bit me a few weeks ago! So far I've cleared out the playroom closet, purged TONS of toys, rearranged the playroom, threw out an old couch, cleared off the stairs landing (it was really really REALLY bad), organized the entertainment center, sorted the boys' clothes, cleared and organized the linen closet, pulled out the stove and fridge and cleaned under there, given away the high chair and infant carseat, and I've been extra diligent about staying on top of the laundry and dishes. My next projects are clearing off the top of the fridge and cabinets (stuff accumulates up there because the kids can't reach it!) and decluttering the hall closet (I'll admit I don't even know what's in there).

Already the house feels so much lighter, and I'm loving it! It's great being able to open the windows again and hear the birds, too. Ah, spring, I've missed you! :
: That's awesome!! Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
subbing.

I can't start spring purging until next week because I'm backed up on sewing projects that MUST be done this week. But I'm raring to go! I want to start with our bedroom closet. Ugh. It's a nightmare in there. And the older cat has been sleeping in there so there's cat hair on the luggage and on the ends of all the long skirts, coats and pants hanging up.
I'm starting with the worst spot too, that way the rest won't be so bad. Have fun sewing! That's a hobby of mine too.
post #10 of 100
Oh yes...the coat closet! How could I forget? That will also happen next week when it's just the baby around...it needs some serious intervention!
post #11 of 100
We did the kids playroom yesterday. We got rid of an entire bin of toys that are no longer played with.

DH and I started the garage on Sunday, but that will take a while, we need to go to the thrift store and reorganize all of the shelving. We also need to find permanent places for everything.
post #12 of 100
sp.
post #13 of 100
i got rid of prolly 300 books today. tow huge booksheleves. empty.

ohhhhh it feels sooooo good.
post #14 of 100
DH is off work this week, so we've been really busy today.

Upstairs:
-cleaned all the walls
-vacuumed and scrubbed all the floors
-scrubbed the bathroom
-dusted everything
-cleaned the insides of the windows and the screens

All of the closets were pretty clear, but we picked out a few more things for Goodwill and I ran all of the donation bags to the drop-off centre. Also, I dropped some old electronics and batteries off at the EcoCentre. We could stand to do one more sweep of the bathroom cabinets, and we'll be touching up a few paint spots.

DH has been busy in the kitchen:
-scrubbed walls
-cleaned behind fridge and stove
-scrubbed cupboard doors
-cleaned inside cupboards
-dusted tops of cupboards
-touched up paint
-scrubbed floors
post #15 of 100
I did some spring cleaning two weekends ago. got rid of alot of stuff but I wtill need to go through the closets.
post #16 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
subbing. i have a long way to go. i want to super duper uber ruthless

i'm starting with the master closet as well. I have half my hanging clothes that I never wear, going to rearrange dh's things so they are out of the way while he's gone (and he can move them when he gets back easier) and then THROW OUT/DONATE all the other crap in there! It's not as full as it COULD be but it's a big closet and we don't NEED to fill it up!

I am also reorganizing all three bedrooms that's going to be the hardest cause I'm going to need to do it in one day.

Purge kids toys (shouldn't be to bad actually) while redistribute.
Kitchen (i don't even know where to start!)
The living room...that's even worse!

I want it to hopefully be ALL done by July...which should be possible if my mom comes to help.
I'm going to be ruthless as well; I can't be all sentimental about everything, as there's just too much stuff! Hoping I can have the whole house done by the end of summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
i got rid of prolly 300 books today. tow huge booksheleves. empty.

ohhhhh it feels sooooo good.
: Awesome!! Congratulations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
DH is off work this week, so we've been really busy today.

Upstairs:
-cleaned all the walls
-vacuumed and scrubbed all the floors
-scrubbed the bathroom
-dusted everything
-cleaned the insides of the windows and the screens

All of the closets were pretty clear, but we picked out a few more things for Goodwill and I ran all of the donation bags to the drop-off centre. Also, I dropped some old electronics and batteries off at the EcoCentre. We could stand to do one more sweep of the bathroom cabinets, and we'll be touching up a few paint spots.

DH has been busy in the kitchen:
-scrubbed walls
-cleaned behind fridge and stove
-scrubbed cupboard doors
-cleaned inside cupboards
-dusted tops of cupboards
-touched up paint
-scrubbed floors
Holy cow, can your DH talk to my DH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3soon View Post
I did some spring cleaning two weekends ago. got rid of alot of stuff but I wtill need to go through the closets.
Congratulations!! Feels so good, doesn't it?
post #17 of 100
i'm subbing on this one!

currently we are down in cocoa beach, florida for spring break for the week, but when we get home on friday i'd really like to get started on my spring cleaning.

as i was getting us all packed (we are staying in a condo type place with a full kitchen, etc. so we packed up all our own food, etc.) and getting things from every corner of my home, i realized just how badly the house is in need of a good cleaning. we have some pretty harsh winters up in northern indiana (and this one was a killer) so there's just so much of THAT that needs to be wiped away. and now that we've been spending all our time on the beach staring out at the ocean, i'm ready to lighten and brighten up my home!

my first order of business will be laundry (obviously!) and then i'll be back to participate further....if this thread is still going by then!
post #18 of 100
I have some closets I have been itching to get my hands on- I think I will start this weekend. I went through our big horrible one last fall and got rid of a ton, and so I want to go through it again and really be ruthless this time. I know we'll be moving sometime in the next year and I don't want to it be like every other time I have moved (where we end up moving boxes full of crap).
post #19 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
i'm subbing on this one!

currently we are down in cocoa beach, florida for spring break for the week, but when we get home on friday i'd really like to get started on my spring cleaning.

as i was getting us all packed (we are staying in a condo type place with a full kitchen, etc. so we packed up all our own food, etc.) and getting things from every corner of my home, i realized just how badly the house is in need of a good cleaning. we have some pretty harsh winters up in northern indiana (and this one was a killer) so there's just so much of THAT that needs to be wiped away. and now that we've been spending all our time on the beach staring out at the ocean, i'm ready to lighten and brighten up my home!

my first order of business will be laundry (obviously!) and then i'll be back to participate further....if this thread is still going by then!
Don't worry, we'll still be here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
I have some closets I have been itching to get my hands on- I think I will start this weekend. I went through our big horrible one last fall and got rid of a ton, and so I want to go through it again and really be ruthless this time. I know we'll be moving sometime in the next year and I don't want to it be like every other time I have moved (where we end up moving boxes full of crap).
We might be moving too within a year or so. I don't want to lug all this junk there too, especially since it will be a smaller house!
post #20 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama~to~my~bunch View Post
Don't worry, we'll still be here .



We might be moving too within a year or so. I don't want to lug all this junk there too, especially since it will be a smaller house!
must be moving year. if dh wasn't being deployed i'd be moving this summer but i will end up most likely being here until late late this year or early next. i KNOW it's going to be half the size and i agree!

i didn't do anything yesterday.... unlikely to do anything today as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Time for Spring Cleaning!