or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Herbal Healing Mamas stop in here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Herbal Healing Mamas stop in here! - Page 13

post #241 of 358
Joining in.

I am researching Don Quai becuase I believe I have some hormonal imbalance. Anyone had success?

Also anyone planning on doing a spring cleanse? And what will it look like?
post #242 of 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
Joining in.

I am researching Don Quai becuase I believe I have some hormonal imbalance. Anyone had success?

Also anyone planning on doing a spring cleanse? And what will it look like?

I am not sure on Don Quai but I have been using Maca Powder to balance my hormones a bit.

I was thinking of doing a spring cleanse but am unsure if I can because I am still nursing our soon to be 2 yo. If I do it will be a version I am reading about in my homework for Sage Mountain.
post #243 of 358
how is sage mountain as an education? i am looking around for a school.
post #244 of 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
how is sage mountain as an education? i am looking around for a school.
Its actually the Art & Science of Herbalism through Rosemary Gladstar... I send everything to Sage Mountain. She is one of a few others who actually look at your homework.

I like it so far, very informative. I also would love to take some of their weekend programs but I can't afford all of them. So this year I have decided to attend the NE WHC and maybe next year I can do another one...
post #245 of 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meksmama View Post
Its actually the Art & Science of Herbalism through Rosemary Gladstar... I send everything to Sage Mountain. She is one of a few others who actually look at your homework.

I like it so far, very informative. I also would love to take some of their weekend programs but I can't afford all of them. So this year I have decided to attend the NE WHC and maybe next year I can do another one...
i so hear you on the money scene. one of the objections, rather, concerns i have about certification in complimentary medicines, massage, doula, herbalism, aromatherapy etc. etc. is the financial cost. those positions in the community used to be based on experience, knowledge, need and internship. now they are starting to be based on not if its your lifes work but if you can afford to pay for a dozen classes and ten years of schooling. and it can really add up. especially if your working class. this is my opinion and NOT related to any particular person.
post #246 of 358
Thread Starter 
ohhh I hear you! i have spent a good $20,000+ thus far on my education over the last 10 years (massage/shiatsu/doula/herb classes/books/etc). I am going to nursing school this coming year (holistic NP is the goal) so that will be at least another $12,000 per YEAR (likely more depending on the school and year) and will take me up to 7 years to complete. I won't take out loans but I am hoping to find some grants or scholarships or something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
i so hear you on the money scene. one of the objections, rather, concerns i have about certification in complimentary medicines, massage, doula, herbalism, aromatherapy etc. etc. is the financial cost. those positions in the community used to be based on experience, knowledge, need and internship. now they are starting to be based on not if its your lifes work but if you can afford to pay for a dozen classes and ten years of schooling. and it can really add up. especially if your working class. this is my opinion and NOT related to any particular person.
post #247 of 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
ohhh I hear you! i have spent a good $20,000+ thus far on my education over the last 10 years (massage/shiatsu/doula/herb classes/books/etc). I am going to nursing school this coming year (holistic NP is the goal) so that will be at least another $12,000 per YEAR (likely more depending on the school and year) and will take me up to 7 years to complete. I won't take out loans but I am hoping to find some grants or scholarships or something!
oh lookie that. we have the same education, except i did aromatherapy,baby and childrens massage and post partum care instead and a dedicated shiatsu course.


and we have the same plans for the future in regards to nursing.
where do you live? how is applying for nursing school going? i am really struggle with it.
post #248 of 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
i so hear you on the money scene. one of the objections, rather, concerns i have about certification in complimentary medicines, massage, doula, herbalism, aromatherapy etc. etc. is the financial cost. those positions in the community used to be based on experience, knowledge, need and internship. now they are starting to be based on not if its your lifes work but if you can afford to pay for a dozen classes and ten years of schooling. and it can really add up. especially if your working class. this is my opinion and NOT related to any particular person.
I completely agree! The school I am looking at is fantastic, however pricey and has limited hours. http://naimh.com/ This is it.
post #249 of 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
I completely agree! The school I am looking at is fantastic, however pricey and has limited hours. http://naimh.com/ This is it.
ohhh that looks good. i am jealous! how wonderful. and colorado. loverly place.
post #250 of 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
I completely agree! The school I am looking at is fantastic, however pricey and has limited hours. http://naimh.com/ This is it.
That looks like a great school!
post #251 of 358
I am a former critical care R.N. of 17 years. Personally, I don't believe it will help you in a career of holistic care. Your knowledge is your asset, not a degree. Those who value degrees want you to work within your mainstream nursing degree. Those who value knowledge will hire you for your knowing, regardless.

Knowledge is power. Having a degree is paper.


Trust your own self. You don't need someone else to give you the "authority" of a "expert".


Pat
post #252 of 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I am a former critical care R.N. of 17 years. Personally, I don't believe it will help you in a career of holistic care. Your knowledge is your asset, not a degree. Those who value degrees want you to work within your mainstream nursing degree. Those who value knowledge will hire you for your knowing, regardless.

Knowledge is power. Having a degree is paper.


Trust your own self. You don't need someone else to give you the "authority" of a "expert".


Pat
Great info THANKS!!!
post #253 of 358
Thread Starter 
oh yes, I am trained in aromatherapy, flower essence therapy, infant massage (have taught classes) and more..

I used to be a hairstylist too and had my own (homemade) herbal bodycare line at one point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
oh lookie that. we have the same education, except i did aromatherapy,baby and childrens massage and post partum care instead and a dedicated shiatsu course.


and we have the same plans for the future in regards to nursing.
where do you live? how is applying for nursing school going? i am really struggle with it.
post #254 of 358
Thread Starter 
Herbal degrees really mean nothing anyway as there is no regulation, it's the KNOWLEDGE one gains and clinical experience that is going to matter in a holistic health care setting.

I really must disagree and beg to differ that anyone in a holistic setting would hire an RN or NP with *no* experience in alternative medicine unless out of desperation! I'm also pretty sure critical care is worlds away from integrative holistic medicine (Which btw IS the future of alternative medicine hands down)

My plan is to attend the integrative medicine program at the University of Arizona after I get my NP. A VERY HIGHLY regarded program and basically one of a kind!


Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I am a former critical care R.N. of 17 years. Personally, I don't believe it will help you in a career of holistic care. Your knowledge is your asset, not a degree. Those who value degrees want you to work within your mainstream nursing degree. Those who value knowledge will hire you for your knowing, regardless.

Knowledge is power. Having a degree is paper.


Trust your own self. You don't need someone else to give you the "authority" of a "expert".


Pat
post #255 of 358
I always say "I have the knowledge, just not the credentials-yet!"

I personally am not always impressed by everyones "credentials" however just the fact that there are no regulations on alternative medicine means those of us who practice it need to do so in a professional and knowledgable way. We also should work on gaining respect, therefore having a certificate etc.
post #256 of 358
Perhaps, I'm confused. An RN education doesn't increase one's knowledge of holistic health. I feel quite confident of that. It is just the opposite.

If one wants to practice as an NP, I assume you'd like autonomy. An RN is not an independent practice degree, they work under the direct supervision of an MD. Perhaps, an ND could want an RN to draw labs for him/her. But, the scope of practice of an RN is limited by being under the supervision of a higher legal licensure.

I completely believe that a 2-year RN degree is a great investment for knowledge of mainstream disease and mainstream medical skills and a mainstream health care job, with great pay. But, it has nothing to do with herbal or holistic healing. Unfortunately.

I am consulted for holistic health issues everyday. I have no certification in holistic anything. I have knowledge I gained through practice, experience, research, reading, questioning, self-study. I get paid to do that. Mostly, no one knows I ever went to nursing school. It is irrelevant.

I consult holistic practitioners who have the knowledge I am seeking (homeopathy, herbal medicine, holistic practioners, massage, Reiki, aromatherapy, etc). I don't care about their "credentials". I care about their knowledge and experience and results, testimonials, word-of-mouth. I'd rather apprentice with one of them, than waste my time and money on nursing school, if I wanted to practice holistic health. Or even a holistic school; but a nursing degree offers little to an herbal healing mama, imo.

I'm familiar with the University of Arizona program. If you want to get your ND, I'd do that directly, rather than going to nursing school first. Nursing school has nothing to do with holistic anything.

I doubt Susan Weed has a nursing degree. Have no idea if she has any "credentials".


Pat





Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
Herbal degrees really mean nothing anyway as there is no regulation, it's the KNOWLEDGE one gains and clinical experience that is going to matter in a holistic health care setting.

I really must disagree and beg to differ that anyone in a holistic setting would hire an RN or NP with *no* experience in alternative medicine unless out of desperation! I'm also pretty sure critical care is worlds away from integrative holistic medicine (Which btw IS the future of alternative medicine hands down)

My plan is to attend the integrative medicine program at the University of Arizona after I get my NP. A VERY HIGHLY regarded program and basically one of a kind!
post #257 of 358
i hear you wu wei. there must be a way (or will be a way) to combine the two into a holistic healing approach with in our healing system.
post #258 of 358
" Nursing school has nothing to do with holistic anything."

Not sure I can agree with this.. it may not give you instruction or credentials as an alternative provider but holistic nursing is more about approach than credentials. Its any practice that has healing the entire person as its goal. There are many nursing theorist whose main objective is to integrate the entire patient as a whole. This is what differentiates the nursing model from the medical model. Medicine as it has been done for the last 100+ years is a hunter type of approach. Jump in and spear the problem, fix it and head on to the next… Since good ole Flo, nursing has been using holistic modalities to achieve what is best for their patients. It has only been recently that the “labels” have been attached.
That being said, I agree that an associate’s degree is a great investment for knowledge. There is a great deal of information to learn in a short period of time and they do not provide a significant amount studies to alternative approaches. But what is “mainstream disease”? A disease is a disease, it may manifest itself differently in different patients, but it is the patients response and how we as providers can promote and assist our patients well being that differs. In addition, how can one treat an illness without a basic understanding of the pathophysiology of said illness and the multi system responses?
Once out of school and liscensed as an RN, there are numerous opportunities to work in settings that will foster and promote your desire to treat a patient holistically.
Side note the Arizona Institute for Integrative Health is a fellowship and intern program for advanced practice providers. You must have a MD, DO or NP. I don’t think they award ND’s…
post #259 of 358
The Tread Killer Stikes AGAIN

Forgive me for, what much seem like, hijacking a thread about herbals...
I am a RN, I have been working in the CCU and ED for over 15yrs (with a period of Hospice nursing for perspective).... I have been a member of the American Holistic Nurses from early on and have used one form or another of healing touch, massage, reiki, guided imagery on almost all of my patients. I am currently in graduate school for my FNP and plan on attentding the fellowship program at ACIM (Arizona University)...

Rainbowmoon, I completely agree, Integrative Medicine is the future.. And I must say I am overjoyed. It is the way it should be.. I have a chronic illness and I enjoy having options in all areas of healing. It is why I see a DO who is knowledgable in Western medicine and an expert in alternative approaches. She is open to anything that I feel may be beneficial. I have found that those that complain about the stubborness of Western Medicine to accept alternatives are just as set against all things mainstream. If I am having a major myocardial infarct or have lacerated a femoral artery please, do not take me to my accupuncturist or to my guru but fly my butt to the nearest cath lab. But for maintence and management of my MS, I use what works.. yoga, massage, diet and accupuncture. It has keep me from having to use interferon treatment and I am grateful.
Those who seek treatment from an alternative provider are already sold on its benefits.... It is my hope to introduce those treatments to those who otherwise would not seek them out themselves... Even a person on a ventilator with cardiac drips can benefit from healing touch and reiki. So, anytime I hear of a person wanting to seek credentials in both worlds and integrate them to the best for those they seek to help I say

Blessings and Appoligies for taking this thread on a side trip!!
Continue on....
post #260 of 358
What are your favorite herbal tea blends for children?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Herbal Healing Mamas stop in here!