or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Pregnant Vegans ~ Spring & Summer Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pregnant Vegans ~ Spring & Summer Thread! - Page 3

post #41 of 572
Thread Starter 
Talula- You only use a Tbs of olive oil? I think I put in like a 1/4 of a cup in mine!!
post #42 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Talula- You only use a Tbs of olive oil? I think I put in like a 1/4 of a cup in mine!!
Yeah. I think I tweaked that recipe from fatfreevegan.com (I'm pretty sure she doesn't use ANY olive oil). I found a tablespoon or two is enough for me, but you know, whatever floats yer boat.
post #43 of 572
hi everyone!

Just checking in... I was really off this weekend.. and have continued to feel blah. I almost fainted in class yesterday; hardly my fines moment as a professor!

I saw the Dr. and whilst I was definitely hydrated my blood pressure was a little wonky. There was a big dip when I lay down on my side so I'm slightly hypotensive, Have no idea what's causing it as I am also having issues with my breath and heart rate (when I workout). I do wonder if it's anemia. I had some blood drawn today so hopefullyI'll find out soon what's going on as I'm on partial bed rest.. Boo.

I was not made for bed rest, partial or otherwise

Oh, I HATE the protein thing, too, especially since most of the world does just fine. Colin Campbell is giving a talk at the university where I teach on Monday, and I'm really excited to hear him.

Im about to enter the 3rd tri and I'm still feeling sick and vomiting quite regularly. I really miss enjoying food!!! you guys are killing me with these lovely recipes! I hope my appetite for good food comes back SOON!!!!

Zubee
post #44 of 572
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post

Oh, I HATE the protein thing, too, especially since most of the world does just fine. Colin Campbell is giving a talk at the university where I teach on Monday, and I'm really excited to hear him.
Wow! I would love to hear him talk!

Hope you feel better.. that stinks you are on bedrest, and double stinks you almost passed out in class. Hopefully everything is OK.
post #45 of 572
Hey all, for the most part it sounds like everyone is doing really well, yay!

I'm not a big fan of the premade hummus either. There's something in there, that makes it taste...chemically/weirdly tangy? I don't know the right word, but it seems my body comes to a stopping point alot earlier on it and it doesn't make me feel good afterwards.

I've been eating alot of pasta with marinara, bagels tend to sound good pretty much always (i like that toby's spread so much!) and Panda Puffs.

I'm off to Hawaii next week. I'm pretty excited to finally be getting some time off of work. I've been wanting to vacation forever, so I'm glad I'm fitting it in. My initial plan (before preggers) was to go to Nepal, but I can settle with Hawaii .

Anyway, glad to find you all again! I've got to figure out how to save it on faves or something-i'm terrible at these sites!
post #46 of 572
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by megame View Post
Hey all, for the most part it sounds like everyone is doing really well, yay!

I'm not a big fan of the premade hummus either. There's something in there, that makes it taste...chemically/weirdly tangy? I don't know the right word, but it seems my body comes to a stopping point alot earlier on it and it doesn't make me feel good afterwards.

I've been eating alot of pasta with marinara, bagels tend to sound good pretty much always (i like that toby's spread so much!) and Panda Puffs.

I'm off to Hawaii next week. I'm pretty excited to finally be getting some time off of work. I've been wanting to vacation forever, so I'm glad I'm fitting it in. My initial plan (before preggers) was to go to Nepal, but I can settle with Hawaii .

Anyway, glad to find you all again! I've got to figure out how to save it on faves or something-i'm terrible at these sites!
What Island are you going to in Hawaii? I've been to Oahu and Kauai, and I LOVE Kauai !!!

And I also agree about the pre-made hummus. Homemade is a million times better!
post #47 of 572
yuck to premade hummus, especially that kind at Costco. We'd gotten the sundried tomato one and it was just "off"

I'm now 18 weeks and NEXT week on Wed. we find out if we're having a boy or a girl. I'm secretly hoping girl simply because I have 15-month-old twin girls with TONS of girl cloths, so it would really help in that respect. ALSO I have the name picked out for girl! Obviously all that matters is the baby's health

we're going to NYC for 3 nights me and hubby in early May. FIRST time we've been alone/on a vacation OURSELVES since having had children!

I've been making/baking soo much these days. My appetite has skyrocketed!
post #48 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
What Island are you going to in Hawaii? I've been to Oahu and Kauai, and I LOVE Kauai !!!

And I also agree about the pre-made hummus. Homemade is a million times better!
I'm going to Kauai for the first time! Any suggestions? There was a restaurant there I really wanted to try, Blossoming Lotus, but it's closed now.
post #49 of 572
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by megame View Post
I'm going to Kauai for the first time! Any suggestions? There was a restaurant there I really wanted to try, Blossoming Lotus, but it's closed now.
I LOVE Blossoming Lotus, they are closed???!!!

There is another cool place we went to eat in Kapa'a, but I will have to look it up. It is not totally vegan (they serve fish) but they are vegan friendly, and really cool.
post #50 of 572
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey View Post
we're going to NYC for 3 nights me and hubby in early May. FIRST time we've been alone/on a vacation OURSELVES since having had children!

I've been making/baking soo much these days. My appetite has skyrocketed!
NYC sounds lovely! Enjoy your appetite while you can, I HATE eating now! I probably won't enjoy eating again until after this baby arrives... heartburn has gotten the best of me.
post #51 of 572
hi everyone! i was on and off the vegan ttc thread for awhile and now am 5 weeks pregnant. 1st pregnancy! : i haven't had my first prenatal appointment yet- but will be next week at a birth center. i was wondering what supplements everyone is taking if any. i am taking new chapter prenatals since ttc as well as vegan omegas... i wanted to add calcium too but not sure which one to get.
post #52 of 572
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukilove View Post
hi everyone! i was on and off the vegan ttc thread for awhile and now am 5 weeks pregnant. 1st pregnancy! : i haven't had my first prenatal appointment yet- but will be next week at a birth center. i was wondering what supplements everyone is taking if any. i am taking new chapter prenatals since ttc as well as vegan omegas... i wanted to add calcium too but not sure which one to get.
CONGRATS!!!

I've not been good at taking supplements this time around.. but I have a bottle of Rainbow Light One-a-days.
post #53 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I LOVE Blossoming Lotus, they are closed???!!!

There is another cool place we went to eat in Kapa'a, but I will have to look it up. It is not totally vegan (they serve fish) but they are vegan friendly, and really cool.
Yep, they're closed, total bummer. Still alot of references on the web to how awesome it was when i try looking up places to check out on Kuaui. From waht I understand, they weren't making enough money to cover the initial costs.

I'm interested in trying this place if you can recall the name.

I'm trying to stear clear of all the sickly people wandering around right now, and there are alot of them! We were going to stay the night at my parents so they could drop us off at the airport, but she's come down with something, so we may be having to drive up to theirs in the am and my dad will have to take us solo.

NY would be fun. I think there are loads of restaurants to explore.

Sukilove- Congrats on the pregnancy! I'm not sure which prenatals I'm taking though I think they make me nauseous. I was trying to take them at night but they somehow got switched to mornings and I've not figured out my method of switching them back to nights.
post #54 of 572
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by megame View Post

I'm interested in trying this place if you can recall the name.
I *think* it is called Caffe' Coco. And it looks like they are still open.

While you are there, make sure to visit Hanalei on the North shore of the Island.. the whole north shore is sooooo beautiful, but Hanalei is this quaint little surfer town, it is great. We ate at the buffet at Papaya's (grocery store) there, so I don't have a restaurant recommendation.
post #55 of 572
vitamins I take while pregnant and while breastfeeding are:

1. Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One (VeganGuard)
2. Blood Builder Daily Foods Vegetarian Formula (iron)
3. Solaray Cal-Mag Citrate with Vitamin D (2:1 Ratio)
4. DEVA Vegan Glucosamine MSM & CMO joint support (I was in a terrible car accident in 2001 lots of broken bones and this has eliminated my needing ANY Tylenol or Ibuprofen for pain relief. Also continued exercise, usually running, but walking now while pregnant has helped a LOT)
5. O-Mega-Zen3 DHA (marine microalgae oil)

other than that LOTS of variety fruits veggies nuts and whole grains
post #56 of 572
Thread Starter 
I found a soymilk last night that looks great.. It is 8th Continent, and has DHA, 2x the calcium as reg milk/soymilk, and fiber (which I don't really care about) and it tastes good (oh, and cheaper than Silk). So, I guess that's where I am going to get more DHA.. I am so bad about taking pills.
post #57 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukilove View Post
hi everyone! i was on and off the vegan ttc thread for awhile and now am 5 weeks pregnant. 1st pregnancy! : ... i was wondering what supplements everyone is taking if any. i am taking new chapter prenatals since ttc as well as vegan omegas... i wanted to add calcium too but not sure which one to get.
Congratulations and welcome! :

My regular vitamins:
  • New Chapter prenatals, but I don't always take the recommended 3 tablets every single day. Occasionally I just take a B multivitamin from New Chapter, which has a bigger dose of B-12 that my body can store for the days when I don't get 100% of the needed B12.
  • 1-2 Tbs Flax seed (ground) in a smoothie most days
  • 300mg vegan DHA (I changed to Omega Zen brand, and am getting some stomach upset from these, so sometimes I don't take this.)
  • Calcium in one of two forms: 1000mg calcium/500mg mag in tablet form (if I can swallow them) or chewable calcium with vitamin D, 1000-1500mg. I tend to reduce my dose if I know I've had a lot of calcium-rich foods. I increase it when I'm having leg cramps (a new malady that I've never experienced before pregnancy!)

Other than that, my diet is really rich in veggies, fruits, whole grains, legumes and nuts. I'm also an herbal tea drinker. I'm thinking of getting more religious about the red raspberry leaf tea, but right now I drink a variety of teas like those recommended by Susun Weed and other women's herbalists.

LizzyQ Yay for finding a soymilk that brings you good nutrition and tastes good. The only soy milk I really like is Eden Blend's Soy and Rice (used to be Amazake), and it doesn't have many supplements in it.
post #58 of 572
Hi All!

I only like the cilantro/jalapeno hummus from Costco (all the other flavors at our Costco have dairy in them anyway) if I'm going to eat the non-homemade kind.

Prenatal vitamins/supplements--My chiro told me to take a 1:1 ratio of cal/mag, and so far, so good. I started taking Country Life high potency prenatals before I conceived to help get the baby factory up and running again and I've felt really great for the majority of the pregnancy.

I think by this summer we'll be able to go for a vacation in the mountains (in a house or cabin, that is). I don't think I'm actually brave enough to camp with a 3 yo and an infant. Flying is definitely out of the question for a while--just getting to your gate is a huge pain in the rear when you have small children and their gear in tow.
post #59 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I found a soymilk last night that looks great.. It is 8th Continent, and has DHA, 2x the calcium as reg milk/soymilk, and fiber (which I don't really care about) and it tastes good (oh, and cheaper than Silk). So, I guess that's where I am going to get more DHA.. I am so bad about taking pills.
maybe they've changed, but I've heard that 8th Continent soymilk has dairy in it
post #60 of 572
They must have changed. Here's their site and ingredient list:

http://www.8thcontinent.com/products...inent-original

No dairy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Pregnant Vegans ~ Spring & Summer Thread!