or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › 103 fever in 6.5 month old WWYD? UPDATE post #52
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

103 fever in 6.5 month old WWYD? UPDATE post #52 - Page 2

post #21 of 222
OP, I hope your baby is feeling better.

I'm confused about some of the comments above. I'm not going to quote them. How can having a febrile seizure or cooking a brain be better than giving tylenol? Fevers can cause damage and sometimes the body's "thermostat" let's the fever get too high. Saying otherwise seems crazy to me.
post #22 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal View Post
I have to agree with all of this. When a child is obviously suffering I don't see the purpose of withholding pain relief (which happens to bring down the fever as well). There have been studies that have shown that the healing effects of fevers are not eliminated when giving fever reducers. Our bodies are still putting up a defense. I was just sick yesterday, and did everything I could to feel better, but the body aches from my slight fever were just keeping me from properly resting. So I took a bit of tylenol. I rested much easier.



As for this comment, sometimes children aren't resilient, sometimes they do need our help, and sometimes they need the help of others. There are times when illness, especially in babies needs evaluation. It might be nothing, it might be something more serious. I don't like antibiotics, and my son has never had them in his 5 years, but it wouldn't take a life or death situation for me to give them to him if he needed it. Sometimes kids breathing becomes strained when sick, and they need more than just what we can offer them to keep their oxygen levels up. My kid had an episode years ago where he needed breathing treatments to get his oxygen level up, and this isn't something we as parents can always realize. I think sometimes we can be a little too cavalier about the health of children on this board, sometimes allopathic medicine is needed.

I agree.
post #23 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal View Post
I don't either, the OP did.

The real problem with extreme fevers is the high chance that it is a symptom of severe bacterial infection. It is also likely that it's viral, but the difference between SBI and viral is huge and definitely demands different treatment.
I agree that the concern comes from the underlying condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackray View Post
OP, I hope your baby is feeling better.

I'm confused about some of the comments above. I'm not going to quote them. How can having a febrile seizure or cooking a brain be better than giving tylenol? Fevers can cause damage and sometimes the body's "thermostat" let's the fever get too high. Saying otherwise seems crazy to me.
Brains don't "cook" at fever levels. Febrile seizures are scary (and I certainly understand medicating fevers if your child has them) but they are not dangerous.

-Angela
post #24 of 222
Thread Starter 
I've been wanting to update...however i've been busy with the baby...and kiddo's out on spring break.
I have read lots of articles about fevers and baby's and fevers and infections...however when my baby was crying when i picked him up...crying when i changed his diaper...crying with any touch...i felt that i had to help him....i gave a room temp bath...wiped down with wet cloth...tried chamomilla and breastmilk....echineachea(sp)....I felt that i had to do something for my baby.
One dose of tylenol was all he got...his fever was over 103 and the tylenol brought it down a few degrees...didnt take it all the way to normal...just brought it down...i've had 2 sleepless nights...baby still has a low grade fever...but nothing like 2 nights ago. He's taking the nebulizer a few times a day and the wheezing is getting much better.
He's also nursing more than ever...which is great! I'm praying that we get some sleep tonight...baby mozart was a life saver last night...
I have suffered from 3 bouts of mastitis over the past 6 months and the last bout brought on a fever of over 101...now in a adult that is massive...i couldnt function....i felt horrible...it hurt to lay down it hurt to stand up...i hurt all over...I was in so much agony i was close to going to the hospital...i took 2 ibuprofen and went to sleep and with in a few hours my fever broke..it probably would of broke with out the meds...but i felt that i had to do something to feel better and i took the meds.
I do feel that i am open to all ways of helping keep the body healthy....i lean more towards the holistic approach...however there have been times where i felt that I had to reach outside that approach and do something else...and that is ok with me.
We all have different comfort levels and different trust levels....and that is ok...it doesnt put me off that one mama may not offer tylenol or any meds at that....nor do i frown upon another mama for going mainstream....we all do what we feel is best for our health and our childrens health....i let my mama intuition guide me....as we all should.
post #25 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
I've been wanting to update...however i've been busy with the baby...and kiddo's out on spring break.
I have read lots of articles about fevers and baby's and fevers and infections...however when my baby was crying when i picked him up...crying when i changed his diaper...crying with any touch...i felt that i had to help him....i gave a room temp bath...wiped down with wet cloth...tried chamomilla and breastmilk....echineachea(sp)....I felt that i had to do something for my baby.
One dose of tylenol was all he got...his fever was over 103 and the tylenol brought it down a few degrees...didnt take it all the way to normal...just brought it down...i've had 2 sleepless nights...baby still has a low grade fever...but nothing like 2 nights ago. He's taking the nebulizer a few times a day and the wheezing is getting much better.
He's also nursing more than ever...which is great! I'm praying that we get some sleep tonight...baby mozart was a life saver last night...
I have suffered from 3 bouts of mastitis over the past 6 months and the last bout brought on a fever of over 101...now in a adult that is massive...i couldnt function....i felt horrible...it hurt to lay down it hurt to stand up...i hurt all over...I was in so much agony i was close to going to the hospital...i took 2 ibuprofen and went to sleep and with in a few hours my fever broke..it probably would of broke with out the meds...but i felt that i had to do something to feel better and i took the meds.
I do feel that i am open to all ways of helping keep the body healthy....i lean more towards the holistic approach...however there have been times where i felt that I had to reach outside that approach and do something else...and that is ok with me.
We all have different comfort levels and different trust levels....and that is ok...it doesnt put me off that one mama may not offer tylenol or any meds at that....nor do i frown upon another mama for going mainstream....we all do what we feel is best for our health and our childrens health....i let my mama intuition guide me....as we all should.

just a ?--what are the dangers in not giving a nebulizer? I mean --if my DD is congested =but obviously breathing enough (if she seemed to be working too hard I would take her right in)---but those treatments are sad crap- I gave them to my son- made him shaky and feel crappy.

is there some sort of damage that being weezing puts my child at risk for that I'm not thinking of--if i try my best to open up her lungs (bundled up in the night air) -? or is the only risk--that they stop breathing and/or have to work VERY hard to not get enough air.

(could I be causing my DD brain damage by letting her be congested and weezy a bit for a week?)
post #26 of 222
more questions about fevers...why do they say that you should see a dr after 60 hr or more? why is that? isn't the fever just doing the same thing all along fighting "soemthing" off if it's there a week?

my son had a fever 2 weeks ago for a week...I took him in finally at the end (in case it was something I should worry about him having my dd might get)--and they said it was VIRAL pnemonia--I put him through a stupid xray to verify since he's allergic/unresponsive to most antibiotics and I didn't want to treat unless I had to.

my DD has had the same thing this week--a fever for about a week (though it's trailed off and only slightly how the last couple days--she's acting almost normal again)--but it has been since last wed when she got her 103 fever...so was I stupid both times for waiting a week? (I'm not taking her in since she's getting better)--why is that so? (I'm sure I'll get a lot of different opinions)

the other reason I didn't just take them in was because we were on vacation and our only options were the ER.
post #27 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Fever is not damaging
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Fever is not dangerous.
This is wrong. To new mothers reading this, you must understand that the above is misinformation. Fevers CAN sometimes be dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
It's not something I'd put up with myself and therefore, there's no way I'd do it to my baby. Just because they can't express their suffering doesn't mean they aren't experiencing the exact same unpleasantness we do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal View Post
I have to agree with all of this. When a child is obviously suffering I don't see the purpose of withholding pain relief (which happens to bring down the fever as well).


Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
heh- I don't go to wiki for health info

More reliable sources say that the body won't let the fever go too high short of poisoning situations.

-Angela
Then please share your sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Febrile seizures are scary, but they are not dangerous.

-Angela
During a seizure, there is a small chance that the child may be injured by falling or may choke from food or saliva in the mouth.

They CAN be dangerous. It is not common, but it is a possibility, and it has happened. Please do not make untrue statements as though they were fact.

Now, as to: WWYD? I use natural soothers, reducers, and immune support. Just various teas, tinctures, homeopathic remedies, etc. Feverfew, chamomile, catnip, astragulus (I think I may have spelled that incorrectly, hmm....) etc. For very young infants you can give them tea baths as well, which help, and taking herbal capsules will help deliver some elements through your milk. Also there are alternatives, such as acupressure and massage. And of course, tepid baths can help sooth their discomfort as well. I too believe that it's best for the human body to fever. My DH and I try to let all of our fevers go as far as possible, we give in to ourselves and our children (tylenol) anywhere between that 103 and 104 point, do to pain and suffering. It's just not worth it in our opinion.

I'm glad your LO is better!
post #28 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
more questions about fevers...why do they say that you should see a dr after 60 hr or more? why is that? isn't the fever just doing the same thing all along fighting "soemthing" off if it's there a week?
A long-lasting high fever has a higher chance of being either bacterial or more serious and something underlying that needs medical attention.

-Angela
post #29 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Make(. )( .)NotWar View Post
This is wrong. To new mothers reading this, you must understand that the above is misinformation. Fevers CAN sometimes be dangerous.
Evidence?

Quote:

Then please share your sources.
They've been posted here a hundred times. Search any medical site.


Quote:
During a seizure, there is a small chance that the child may be injured by falling or may choke from food or saliva in the mouth.

They CAN be dangerous. It is not common, but it is a possibility, and it has happened. Please do not make untrue statements as though they were fact.
That is a valid point. Something could happen during the seizure. For whatever reason, that seems to be particularly rare with febrile seizures, but is worth mentioning.

What I meant is that the febrile seizures themselves are not damaging to the child.

-Angela
post #30 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
more questions about fevers...why do they say that you should see a dr after 60 hr or more? why is that? isn't the fever just doing the same thing all along fighting "soemthing" off if it's there a week?

my son had a fever 2 weeks ago for a week...I took him in finally at the end (in case it was something I should worry about him having my dd might get)--and they said it was VIRAL pnemonia--I put him through a stupid xray to verify since he's allergic/unresponsive to most antibiotics and I didn't want to treat unless I had to.

my DD has had the same thing this week--a fever for about a week (though it's trailed off and only slightly how the last couple days--she's acting almost normal again)--but it has been since last wed when she got her 103 fever...so was I stupid both times for waiting a week? (I'm not taking her in since she's getting better)--why is that so? (I'm sure I'll get a lot of different opinions)

the other reason I didn't just take them in was because we were on vacation and our only options were the ER.
i havent read all the threads here, but just wanted to ask what tests they did to confirm a viral infection? they can not tell whether something is viral or bacterial from an xray. yes, they can detect infection, but not the type.
post #31 of 222
Thread Starter 
{just a ?--what are the dangers in not giving a nebulizer? I mean --if my DD is congested =but obviously breathing enough (if she seemed to be working too hard I would take her right in)---but those treatments are sad crap- I gave them to my son- made him shaky and feel crappy.

is there some sort of damage that being weezing puts my child at risk for that I'm not thinking of--if i try my best to open up her lungs (bundled up in the night air) -? or is the only risk--that they stop breathing and/or have to work VERY hard to not get enough air.

(could I be causing my DD brain damage by letting her be congested and weezy a bit for a week?) }



Nebulizer question...........your childs blood oxygen level can lower if the child can not get enough oxygen in through his or her lungs....after prolonged amounts of time....i'm sure it's not a good thing...i dont have any info to back that up....however i know it's not a good thing to have prolonged o2 stats.
Also when the childs becoming distressed to breathe...blue lips...concaved chest...all signs that something else needs to be done asap.
A humidifyer helps with congestion...not sure if it would be enough to bring up o2 levels though.
post #32 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
What I meant is that the febrile seizures themselves are not damaging to the child.

-Angela
There are symptoms to be mindful of if your child has a febrile seizure;


# Rush to the emergency medical facility in these cases:

* The seizure lasts more than 5 minutes.

* The child has serious trouble breathing or stops breathing.

* The child develops cyanosis (blueness of the skin) indicating insufficient oxygen in the bloodstream.
post #33 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
{just a ?--what are the dangers in not giving a nebulizer? I mean --if my DD is congested =but obviously breathing enough (if she seemed to be working too hard I would take her right in)---but those treatments are sad crap- I gave them to my son- made him shaky and feel crappy.

is there some sort of damage that being weezing puts my child at risk for that I'm not thinking of--if i try my best to open up her lungs (bundled up in the night air) -? or is the only risk--that they stop breathing and/or have to work VERY hard to not get enough air.

(could I be causing my DD brain damage by letting her be congested and weezy a bit for a week?) }

Yes, the nebulizer treatments do have crappy side effects, but they are just temporary, whereas not treating the breathing difficulty will have much more serious long term effects. I have asthma, I wheeze, I cough, the wheezing, the coughing causes restriction in the airways, which in turn lower the oxygen levels. That is the immediate effect. The long term results of asthma, which even if your child doesn't have, the wheezing and coughing have the same effects. It can weaken the lungs, make them more prone to breathing problems/diseases and increased chance of contracting lung infections and pnuemonia.
post #34 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
<more questions about fevers...why do they say that you should see a dr after 60 hr or more? why is that? isn't the fever just doing the same thing all along fighting "soemthing" off if it's there a week?>

A long-lasting high fever has a higher chance of being either bacterial or more serious and something underlying that needs medical attention.

-Angela
__________
Yes, basically the body cannot tolerate a long term assault and the risk of much more serious problems is higher, including death. Sepsis, which is a bacterial infection CAN kill and does. Think of Jim Henson, he died from sepsis. The organs of the body cannot tolerate long term fevers, assault from viral or bacterial infections, etc, etc. That's why it should be evaluated. There are weird things that can come up that we cannot recognize, that could be more serious than just a simple illness.
post #35 of 222
My cousin had febrile seizures and he stopped breathing during them and turned blue. The one time he would have died had his older brother not went in where he was sleeping and came back out and told his mom that he was blue.

So yeah febril seizures can kill.

I still dont buy that fevers dont cause brain damage and neither does my mother who had a perfectly healthy 8yo boy one day and after a 106 fever and rising he was never the same after. He had pnumonia at the time and had to be packed in ice at the hospital to bring it down.

I always treat a fever over 102 myself because of this.
post #36 of 222
http://uimc.discoveryhospital.com/main.php?id=946
Quote:
A fever greater than 106 degrees Fahrenheit can result in brain damage and death in some cases. This level of fever is hardly ever brought on by common illnesses. It can be seen in bacterial meningitis, in a rare reaction to anesthesia called malignant hyperthermia, or if a person is in a situation where he or she cannot cool himself or the body's temperature regulation mechanism has failed (heat stroke).
Quote:
You should always trust your instincts and the advice of your trusted medical provider. Never let information on this website or any website substitute for a qualified diagnosis and advice from your health provider, and don’t delay treatment or disregard advice based exclusively on the stuff you find floatin’ around. Be informed, and be prudent!
I think this website gives a good listing of possible problems with fevers. http://www.hippiedippiebebe.com/heal...ds-fever-cold/

There IS a danger with extremely high fevers. Basically it can be a sign of some sort of meningitis, which can damage the "thermostat" control of the body, the hypothalamus. That's why they can get such a high fever, normally the body won't let itself get that high, but damage to the hypothalamus can cause serious problems. Any fever above 105 should be evaluated immediately.
post #37 of 222
I think this part is important enough to quote again:

Quote:
You should always trust your instincts and the advice of your trusted medical provider. Never let information on this website or any website substitute for a qualified diagnosis and advice from your health provider, and don’t delay treatment or disregard advice based exclusively on the stuff you find floatin’ around. Be informed, and be prudent!
post #38 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Brains don't "cook" at fever levels. Febrile seizures are scary (and I certainly understand medicating fevers if your child has them) but they are not dangerous.

-Angela
Really? You are okay with people treating fever with Tylenol if they chose to? I've heard you say otherwise many times on this board. I'm happy that you are willing to understand why people chose to medicate high fevers.

post #39 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
more questions about fevers...why do they say that you should see a dr after 60 hr or more? why is that? isn't the fever just doing the same thing all along fighting "soemthing" off if it's there a week?
Because most viruses resolve in a few days. If it goes on longer than that it may have progressed into a bacterial infection and require treatment. DD is just getting over a virus with a high fever (104.7) that turned into a raging ear infection and required abx. (Yes, I realize people here often don't treat ear infections - I had many as a child and won't let DD hurt like that if I can help it.) We were on day 8 of her fever when I took her into the ped. After about 36 hours she was feeling better and she's now almost 100% (and is eating again, thank goodness).
post #40 of 222
I'm delighted there are mamas here who are willing to accept that allopathic medicine can sometimes help. I am biased, as my kid would be dead without it, but it's refreshing to hear your voices.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › 103 fever in 6.5 month old WWYD? UPDATE post #52