or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Television › Britains got talent - Susan Boyle - You have to see this!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Britains got talent - Susan Boyle - You have to see this! - Page 2

post #21 of 50
Wasn't that just amazing? I just loved every second of her performance and think she's just a beautifully real and inspiring person :
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxinsmom View Post
This was amazing. I think however, that her performance told us more about us than about her.
Amen! I loved that everyone was laughing and rolling their eyes and then she opened her mouth and sang like an angle and people were moved to their feet and to tears! It reminds me of the whole Beauty and the Beast thing with the "will you help the old woman?" and then she becomes this glorious being. I really hope it held up a mirror to our superficial society.
post #23 of 50
I just watched Paul Potts. I hadn't heard of him until the Susan Boyle thing. Wow! :

But it makes me wonder how many exceptionally talented people are overlooked and shooed away because they are not drop dead gorgeous or skinny or young enough.
post #24 of 50
WOW!!! Thanks for that link, it has made my day.
post #25 of 50
I almost cried watching that this morning. She has such an amazing voice! I hope her dream comes true!
post #26 of 50
Wow...

Give then thread title I expect good, but that has got to be the best performance I have ever seen.
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
This is such a beautiful lesson in not judging a book by its cover.

It's worth watching.
OK, so I was specifically coming to MDC to discuss this, and I hope I don't offend anyone here, because it's not my intention to single anyone out. I had a friend on facebook a week or so ago link the Susan Boyle video, and then say "Never ever judge a book by its cover" and then I've seen the video linked numerous times, and I'm trying to figure out what it is that bothers me. What is it about the way she looks that make people think she's going to be untalented? Some of the most talented singers out there are not that good looking. Take Gary Lakes, for example. And many opera singers who have great voices do not fit the mold for mainstream models of beauty. I've been to various local venues and heard fantastic singers of varying degrees of attractiveness. Some of them have blown my socks off, they are so good. They don't have a career in it, however, and probably never will because they don't fit the mold.

What is it about her personality that makes it seem like she's going to be bad? I heard her described as awkward and unassuming, but she is articulate and confident in her interview. People might think her mannerisms are awkward, but if a thinner, younger, more attractive woman acted like that, people wouldn't have had an issue with it. They'd expect it. I find it frustrating, for some reason, and I'm not sure I can really put a finger on it, but I think in part its the way we judge people in general.

I'm sure most people don't think she's very attractive. She also appears to have a high BMI. I fit into this category, and when I refer to myself I say I'm fat old and ugly, because I'm not afraid to embrace those things, really. I mean we are who we are, right? Seeing her in the interview, I would figure she probably would sing pretty well. A lot of people can sing well. It's not like they are just undiscovered talent, it's that there are a lot of factors that have to come together for that talent to be a career. It would surprise me more if she were going on that show and *couldn't* actually perform well, ya' know?

I feel like so much of that is staged. On American Idol they do it all the time, they want to surprise people. So they'll show an attractive confident person who talks about their singing abilities, and then that person will be horrible. Then they'll follow it up with a pretty person that they try to paint as vapid or overconfident, and then it will turn out that person can sing well. They just wanted to trick the viewers for better television. Sometimes they do it the opposite way and show you a person who is unattractive and so weird you think they are going to have to be good, and sometimes they are and sometime they aren't. Woe to the ones that aren't, they are usually painted as mentally unbalanced, when half of them are just trying to get on TV. I guess that's what they were going for here, hoping she was just out of touch and overconfident of her abilities, but Susan Boyle seemed mostly normal and down to earth to me. The judges attitudes just seemed either really fake, or just really a sad commentary at how out of touch with the real world people in the entertainment may be.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to get at here, but she is a valuable person, regardless of her singing talent. I've seen comments that say we should see her inner beauty and how it's expressed in her voice, or that God hides a His awesome wonders from us, and we need to have the eyes to see it. OK, but what if she hadn't been a very good singer? What if the old lady in Beauty and the Beast had just been a really old woman? What if the beast was just an ugly animal, not a beautiful prince. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I think it's how we put worth on people. The diamond in the rough has to really be a diamond, and we have to look for that in people. But it seems like we are looking for the wrong thing if we expect everyone to have a gift that society deems valuable, and if some people don't, then we can just discount them.

OK, sorry to ramble on, just wanted to get that off my chest. The person who posts after me can respond and completely disregard my comments.
post #28 of 50
Well of course it's staged. I have no doubt that a big part of the reason a great many audience members were "against her" wasn't her appearance itself so much as that everyone there knew the show, knew its premise, and knew that when you see an older, dumpy, imperfectly poised individual walk out on stage you are about to see one of the individuals chosen for comic relief. But it's like watching a movie ... even though you know it was entirely likely written by some guy in his basement, it can still move you terrifically.
post #29 of 50
Yeah, I am capable of being emotionally manipulated, so I enjoyed the clip. Then it made me go find more like it, mostly children who can sing way beyond their age. But the judges faces and the hosts reactions just annoy me. They are trying to hard or something.

For some reason, the Paul guy just surprised me more.
post #30 of 50
Gave me chills & brought Dh to tears!
post #31 of 50
I'm positive that it was all entirely staged for dramatic purposes and there's no way I would believe that that everyone involved w/production did not know beforehand that she was a great talent. I guess I never thought of her as being overweight, so I'm not sure about that part. I think she just looks like a person, not a plucked/airbrushed/siliconed/pressed/pumped/whatever characterature that seems so common on television.

I cringed when I heard the comments about her being such a surprise or that "everyone" was against her or laughing at her. Entertainment at any expense. However, she is extremely talented, IMO, and judging by the title of the series, I would hope she has an opportunity to fulfill her aspirations of doing what she loves to do.
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
OK, so I was specifically coming to MDC to discuss this, and I hope I don't offend anyone here, because it's not my intention to single anyone out. I had a friend on facebook a week or so ago link the Susan Boyle video, and then say "Never ever judge a book by its cover" and then I've seen the video linked numerous times, and I'm trying to figure out what it is that bothers me. What is it about the way she looks that make people think she's going to be untalented? Some of the most talented singers out there are not that good looking. Take Gary Lakes, for example. And many opera singers who have great voices do not fit the mold for mainstream models of beauty. I've been to various local venues and heard fantastic singers of varying degrees of attractiveness. Some of them have blown my socks off, they are so good. They don't have a career in it, however, and probably never will because they don't fit the mold.

What is it about her personality that makes it seem like she's going to be bad? I heard her described as awkward and unassuming, but she is articulate and confident in her interview. People might think her mannerisms are awkward, but if a thinner, younger, more attractive woman acted like that, people wouldn't have had an issue with it. They'd expect it. I find it frustrating, for some reason, and I'm not sure I can really put a finger on it, but I think in part its the way we judge people in general.

I'm sure most people don't think she's very attractive. She also appears to have a high BMI. I fit into this category, and when I refer to myself I say I'm fat old and ugly, because I'm not afraid to embrace those things, really. I mean we are who we are, right? Seeing her in the interview, I would figure she probably would sing pretty well. A lot of people can sing well. It's not like they are just undiscovered talent, it's that there are a lot of factors that have to come together for that talent to be a career. It would surprise me more if she were going on that show and *couldn't* actually perform well, ya' know?

I feel like so much of that is staged. On American Idol they do it all the time, they want to surprise people. So they'll show an attractive confident person who talks about their singing abilities, and then that person will be horrible. Then they'll follow it up with a pretty person that they try to paint as vapid or overconfident, and then it will turn out that person can sing well. They just wanted to trick the viewers for better television. Sometimes they do it the opposite way and show you a person who is unattractive and so weird you think they are going to have to be good, and sometimes they are and sometime they aren't. Woe to the ones that aren't, they are usually painted as mentally unbalanced, when half of them are just trying to get on TV. I guess that's what they were going for here, hoping she was just out of touch and overconfident of her abilities, but Susan Boyle seemed mostly normal and down to earth to me. The judges attitudes just seemed either really fake, or just really a sad commentary at how out of touch with the real world people in the entertainment may be.

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to get at here, but she is a valuable person, regardless of her singing talent. I've seen comments that say we should see her inner beauty and how it's expressed in her voice, or that God hides a His awesome wonders from us, and we need to have the eyes to see it. OK, but what if she hadn't been a very good singer? What if the old lady in Beauty and the Beast had just been a really old woman? What if the beast was just an ugly animal, not a beautiful prince. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I think it's how we put worth on people. The diamond in the rough has to really be a diamond, and we have to look for that in people. But it seems like we are looking for the wrong thing if we expect everyone to have a gift that society deems valuable, and if some people don't, then we can just discount them.

OK, sorry to ramble on, just wanted to get that off my chest. The person who posts after me can respond and completely disregard my comments.

I thought she was pretty well spoken, if a bit nervous, in her interview. Much better than most. I also thought she was cute and endearing immediately. I dunno, I think this "book by it's cover" stuff is odd because I really don't think the cover says much in a show like this- I had mono when the original America's Got Talent aired so I got stuck watching the whole thing with my mother and I saw some cute kids that were awful and some unassuming, unspectacular-looking people that were phenomenal. I think that people are caught up in the hype of her being "disregarded" by the audience that was being prompted to act the way they did.

Her rendition was beautiful though, and the song she chose was fitting to her life circumstance judging from the interview she gave. She really has potential for the stage in my opinion.
post #33 of 50
I know what you mean, Viola. DH and I have been talking about most of those points. I didn't talk to him about one of those points yet, though, but I had been thinking about it (just not articulated) - what if she DIDN'T have a gorgeous voice? Would she have been an unworthy human being then?

Most of us are not very gorgeous or talented, and I would hope that our worth as a human being doesn't hinge upon some totally "surprise" hidden attribute. We may not all be extraordinary but special nonetheless.
post #34 of 50
I saw this clip for the first time last night and bawled my eyes out watching it. She has such a beautiful voice. Everytime I get on the computer I watch it. I love the message that it sends that it is never too late to follow your dreams.
post #35 of 50
I loved her personality. I didn't find anything off putting about her.

and not to get OT but, I love, love, love this kid from a couple seasons ago.
post #36 of 50
Hmm, well it didn't even come close to making me cry. The whole thing bothered me. I mean, good for her, she has a great voice, but the faces people were making in the audience in the beginning and the fact that they were so *shocked* actually made my skin crawl.
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
Hmm, well it didn't even come close to making me cry. The whole thing bothered me. I mean, good for her, she has a great voice, but the faces people were making in the audience in the beginning and the fact that they were so *shocked* actually made my skin crawl.
ME TOO. It bothers me so much I can't stop thinking about it.
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
Hmm, well it didn't even come close to making me cry. The whole thing bothered me. I mean, good for her, she has a great voice, but the faces people were making in the audience in the beginning and the fact that they were so *shocked* actually made my skin crawl.
Yep, me too. Why on earth would anyone just assume that she didn't have singing talent?
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
Yep, me too. Why on earth would anyone just assume that she didn't have singing talent?
Have you seen the show? I don't mean this clip ... I mean the series.
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
I loved her personality. I didn't find anything off putting about her.

and not to get OT but, I love, love, love this kid from a couple seasons ago.
Wow again. That boy is incredible. I have never heard that song sung so beautifully.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Television › Britains got talent - Susan Boyle - You have to see this!