or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2009 › What is on your "must have" list for pp recovery?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is on your "must have" list for pp recovery? - Page 2

post #21 of 72
-I absolutely must has Soothie Pads. These saved me from totally giving up nursing with my son. My nipples had actually split apart and there was a point where my son was drinking as much blood as milk (sorry tmi). Lanolin cream was messy and I didn't really want my son to eat it.

-Nursing pads and lots of cotton rags to catch milk. Although this time I might try to donate all my extra milk to a baby in need.

-Sitz bath

-Emergen-C

-Cute cotton summer dresses to wear around the house, etc. This should be better than pj sets because it will be hot out.

-My best girlfriend to help around the house.

-Lots of fruit. Someone mentioned soup, but I can't imagine eating anything so hot in mid-August...

-Pain killers

-Tons of over-sized pads

-Stretchy, cotton, nursing bras or sports bras

-Underwear that I can throw away

-Cal/Mag (which I always take anyway for muscle pain)

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them now.
post #22 of 72
Quote:
-Lots of fruit. Someone mentioned soup, but I can't imagine eating anything so hot in mid-August...
Soup doesn't have to be hot! There are lots of cold soup options... my favorite is a yogurt/mint/cucumber/hint of garlic soup. Oh, and cold cherry of course. Mmmmmm.
post #23 of 72
nak

I am so going to freeze pads- that would have been great with DD!

I have All-purpose nipple ointment on hand that I had asked my doc for recently. I blistered on my nipples within the first 2 hours after dd was born. I only found out about APNO months later when we had thrush and it helped so much- for all kinds of nursing issues.
post #24 of 72
not in your ddc, but:
thanks for the thread!
I would suggest getting some things together to do wile you're nursing. Some good books, a nice water bottle, knitting, whatever....
post #25 of 72
Thread Starter 
What are soothies?? I get nasty blisters and have the whole nip bleeding issue too so I'd love something to help with that!
post #26 of 72
The soothies I know (I got them at Target) are sort of stick on gel blobs. They're round blue gel pads that you place on your nipple and they cool things off/prevent rubbing. Similar to those blue gel stick on fever-reducing things they sell for children?
post #27 of 72
The only thing I didn't like about Soothies was that you had to wash your nipple after using/before nursing. Which ended up irritating all the blisters/cuts that I got, even gently wiping/rinsing with water.

But they're great for soreness.
post #28 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Soup doesn't have to be hot! There are lots of cold soup options... my favorite is a yogurt/mint/cucumber/hint of garlic soup. Oh, and cold cherry of course. Mmmmmm.
Hmmm, you're right. I never make cold soup so it didn't even occur to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
The only thing I didn't like about Soothies was that you had to wash your nipple after using/before nursing. Which ended up irritating all the blisters/cuts that I got, even gently wiping/rinsing with water.

But they're great for soreness.
Uhm, I never washed my nipple before or after using Soothies. Although I did rinse the Soothies off and re-use them for a couple of days. I didn't know that you're supposed to clean your nipple too? Is there some sort of chemical in them that needs to be washed off? I didn't like lanolin or cream because it had to be washed off completely in between feedings (sometimes every 10 minutes). My nipples were so torn up (one of the worst cases my midwives had ever seen) that I couldn't wipe them at all. It took everything I had just to keep nursing. These really helped me heal and feel better.

Soothies actually work by keeping your skin moisturized and completely cut off to oxygen. They are very similar to burn relief pads that are often given by doctors for serious burns (only they're breast shaped). I started off by using burn relief pads before finding Soothies (which were much harder to come by 5 years ago).
post #29 of 72
I guess the soup thing doesn't bother me because my hot summer is almost to Canada and it isn't that hot here.
post #30 of 72
[QUOTE=Abraisme;13680421

Uhm, I never washed my nipple before or after using Soothies. Although I did rinse the Soothies off and re-use them for a couple of days. I didn't know that you're supposed to clean your nipple too? Is there some sort of chemical in them that needs to be washed off? I didn't like lanolin or cream because it had to be washed off completely in between feedings (sometimes every 10 minutes). My nipples were so torn up (one of the worst cases my midwives had ever seen) that I couldn't wipe them at all. It took everything I had just to keep nursing. These really helped me heal and feel better.
.[/QUOTE]

http://soothies.com/gelpads_faqs.html :

Quote:
Do I need to wash my breast after Soothies are removed to breastfeeding?
Gently wipe or cleanse your breast prior to breastfeeding to remove any gel residue.
I was told to not wash lanolin off, and everything I've read says the same, including Lansinoh's site.

I swore by The All-Purpose Nipple Ointment, though. It REALLY helps with all nipple issues and doesn't have to be washed off either. Even though I'm still nursing my DD I have some I got just in case, I think it would have made nursing so much better from the start and kept the thrush away.

I was like you, with terrible blisters/cuts immediately. Then thrush, oversupply, Reynaud's, plugged ducts. I just tried to keep myself from screaming for a couple of months whenever we nursed. I would get some of the APNO to have on hand at the first signs of discomfort.
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
http://soothies.com/gelpads_faqs.html :



I was told to not wash lanolin off, and everything I've read says the same, including Lansinoh's site.

I swore by The All-Purpose Nipple Ointment, though. It REALLY helps with all nipple issues and doesn't have to be washed off either. Even though I'm still nursing my DD I have some I got just in case, I think it would have made nursing so much better from the start and kept the thrush away.

I was like you, with terrible blisters/cuts immediately. Then thrush, oversupply, Reynaud's, plugged ducts. I just tried to keep myself from screaming for a couple of months whenever we nursed. I would get some of the APNO to have on hand at the first signs of discomfort.
Thanks for the info. I never felt like the Soothies left any gel-residue on my breasts, so it didn't occur to me to wipe them off. I suppose though that I did dry them off before putting them on though (otherwise they don't stick). I will definitely pick up some APNO though.. A woman told me recently that if you start using an ointment 1 month before giving birth that it really helps as well. This advice makes sense to me, so I'm going to try that too.

My son was born extremely tongue-tied (he couldn't put his out past his teeth), so his latch was wrong. While he was eating just fine, it tore me up. It's a really strong genetic trait and this baby will be getting her tongue fixed 1 day after birth (not 2 weeks later like my son). I was in extreme pain for 6 weeks and I will try everything to avoid that this time.
post #32 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post
My son was born extremely tongue-tied (he couldn't put his out past his teeth), so his latch was wrong. While he was eating just fine, it tore me up. It's a really strong genetic trait and this baby will be getting her tongue fixed 1 day after birth (not 2 weeks later like my son). I was in extreme pain for 6 weeks and I will try everything to avoid that this time.
DS2 was/is tongue tied but it wasn't a severe case so we opted to wait and see how it went. I think it contributed a lot to my soreness/blisters. Is it more likely for the next baby to be tongue tied too? (Please say no)
post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
DS2 was/is tongue tied but it wasn't a severe case so we opted to wait and see how it went. I think it contributed a lot to my soreness/blisters. Is it more likely for the next baby to be tongue tied too? (Please say no)
Yup, it's a very strong genetic trait. Myself and all of my siblings were tongue tied as babies. My mother opted to wait and see with my 2 youngest siblings.. They both ended up having to get their tongues clipped at ages 3 and 8. I must say that it's much more traumatic to get this done when you're older. I would recommend doing it to your baby if he/she is tongue tied as well.
post #34 of 72
I decided I am going to start taking Candida Clear as soon as the baby is born. I already take probiotics and I will continue to take that too. I will also have a bottle of Ginsin Violet. I do not want to deal with Thrush! I also love to use depends for the bleeding so I will have a pack of those on hand. I usually use cloth wipes but I bleed really heavy and I find the depends takes away all the worry of leaking on my bed or clothing. I know it sounds like I am a Grandma but figured it out on baby number 5 and loved them. My midwife wanted me to use them during labor once my water was broken. Using them later on was just a bonus! Of course advil, I am not looking forward to those after baby cramps!
post #35 of 72
:

I seriously love this thread

:
post #36 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post
Yup, it's a very strong genetic trait. Myself and all of my siblings were tongue tied as babies. My mother opted to wait and see with my 2 youngest siblings.. They both ended up having to get their tongues clipped at ages 3 and 8. I must say that it's much more traumatic to get this done when you're older. I would recommend doing it to your baby if he/she is tongue tied as well.
Aww crap! I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue this time. DS2's case was somewhat mild and they said as long as he could nurse it could wait. Then he needed heart surgery and I just didn't have the heart to put him through yet another procedure after that. His pedi said we'll see if it impacts his speech and go from there - and it hasn't. I'm curious why your siblings had to have it done several years later - what kind of issues was it causing? I assumed we were out of the woods with DS2 since he was talking ok. He can extend his tongue just over his teeth and that is about it.
post #37 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Aww crap! I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue this time. DS2's case was somewhat mild and they said as long as he could nurse it could wait. Then he needed heart surgery and I just didn't have the heart to put him through yet another procedure after that. His pedi said we'll see if it impacts his speech and go from there - and it hasn't. I'm curious why your siblings had to have it done several years later - what kind of issues was it causing? I assumed we were out of the woods with DS2 since he was talking ok. He can extend his tongue just over his teeth and that is about it.
They both needed to have it done because it was causing their teeth to grow in the wrong. The piece of skin that should have been clipped was making a large gap in the lower teeth. It just seems like something that should be done as a baby to me, especially if it's causing nursing pain.

It took me weeks to find a pediatrician that would even do it. I had to take my son in and show them my breasts before I could get one to agree. I guess it's not as common a practice these days. I need to get looking now for a new pediatrician that will do it..
post #38 of 72
Great thread!

For those of you making frozen pads w/tea, what are you using? I think I used comfrey (leaves?) last time.

I'd also love to know some good sitz/peri bottle tea recipes as I'm going to be ordering herbs soon.

One tip on making frozen maxi pads: don't soak them long at all and wrap them individually in plastic wrap.

Thanks!
post #39 of 72
Thread Starter 
Now that you mention it DS2's bottom teeth are growing in sort of strange. Almost like a "W" and his frenulum (sp?) could be to blame. I'm going to have to bring it up to his pedi at the next appointment and see if we should do something about it.
post #40 of 72
This is on my list:
- a nice pair of comfy yoga/sweat pants
- big underwear to hold those horrible maxi-pads for the pp bleeding
- a big pitcher or clean empty bottle, the mw here recommends it if you have pain while peeing, you can pour water over the sensitive area while you pee so it doesn't sting. Helped a lot when I had a stitch from DD's birth, didn't need it so much with DS.
- arnica
- DH for helping
- lots of receiving blankets for leaks, spills, babyspit, mommy tears etc
- maybe embarassing to mention, but something for hemmorhoids (is that spelled right?) because it's one of the biggest post-partum problems for me
- like someone mentioned, fruit. I ate tons after my first two births, can't explain that huge craving but I'm sure I'll have it again this time.
- peace and quiet and no over-emotional visitors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2009
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2009 › What is on your "must have" list for pp recovery?