so.... good news at my house but some bad timing! My DH had been laid off until mid-June, and has been home for three weeks (well, doing some under-the-table work for a friend but mostly around). And my mom is visiting, and my son was on vacation and.... no baby. So we've all been tripping over eachother (I live in a small 2-bed apt). WELL, today DH got called in for 2 days of work at the other major theater in town (he's a props artisan) AND simultaneously contacted by the head of props for an interview for a seasonal position. They must have finally gotten their green-light to hire for the summer season- they do 15 plays or something so its really busy there all summer.
Watch, baby will decide to come tomorrow or something! Now I want it to hold on until DH had his interview b/c we need him to get this job! ARGH, these inconvenient little ones... if it had just been born a week or two ago we could have had this lovely relaxing family time together.
Nancy, I had a couple of days of that on-and-off labor w/ my son. It was annoying in a way, and I remember those sheets of paper where I was writing everything down... but when it REALLY got going, I could tell, because I couldn't sleep, eat, etc anymore. There is a VERY good chance your husband will have plenty of warning to get there (really most people do not have babies in under 2 hours!), but also a good idea to have a friend on back-up in case it gets too much to be alone. The MWs kept telling me that if a warm bath or shower, a cup of tea, whatever slows things down enough to rest, then to take the opportunity. I had at least 2 other friends who didn't do that-- stayed up all night trying to keep things "moving along" and ended up with these crazy exhausting labor experiences b/c it was still 2-3 days before they had their babies. So hard as it is, every night I am trying to just have a cup of tea and read a book a bit and get to bed at a nice normal time, and even though its vaguely disappointing to wake up the next morning with nothing going on, I *know* its important for my body to be rested and healthy!
And, ugh, no way would I want an induction. I am hoping baby comes by 40+4 so I don't have to start fighting the docs on this, b/c they want me do schedule one for then- a week from tomorrow. I told them I wouldn't do it, and we left it at that. I'm planning a HB anyway, so its a little easier for me to be non-compliant that way, but still.