or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Toddlers with tick bites
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toddlers with tick bites

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Both my sons got ticks on Saturday night when we were fishing. I noticed it on my 2 year old right away, we had been at the lake less than an hour and the tick was still squirming around (hadn't latched on real good yet) so we just kinda flicked it off. I fleetingly worried about it, because he's a special needs kid with a primary immune deficiency, so I worry about everything with him, but it was on there such a short time.

Anyway, the next morning I found a tick on my 4 year old, too, that obviously had been on there since the previous evening. We removed it gently by applying steady pressure with special tick removing tweezers and checked it over and it appeared to be intact. I washed his skin with alcohol and you can't even see a spot anymore.

I looked up tick species in Ohio, and I think it was a blacklegged tick (link)

Is there anything else I should do? I was very surprised to see ticks this early in the year, it's still fluctuating weather here in Ohio, cold just as often as it's warm! I guess we need to start putting on bug spray and doing tick checks when we go fishing!

Should I watch for anything other than a rash? Fever? Should I call the ped and tell them that they got bit, just in case symptoms develop later, or should I just wait and see? I'm not usually a very reactive type person, but with Connor's immune deficiency, I never know what I should react to and what I shouldn't!!!
post #2 of 7
Yeah - tick season started in my house too - I found one crawling on my 2 yo's hair yesterday. I would just watch for s/s of illness - rash, fever, headache and notify if any problems. Here on Long Island some docs will test the tick for you if you are pregnant or something - you can save the tick by folding sticky tape around it. In about 2 weeks blood will test positive for lyme's if you suspect, but it doesn't sound like he was bit by a deer tick.
post #3 of 7
Ticks can become active as soon as ice/snow is off the ground. They are hardy and ravenous this time of year.

As someone who has witnessed the devastation that lyme disease can inflict, please always assume ticks are active and protect accordingly. You can make a very effective repellent using aloe juice, and essential oils of lemon, eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, and distilled water. Always use it and always reapply often and always check for ticks as soon as you come indoors.
post #4 of 7

My toddler..

My 2 1/2 yr old got bit by a tick last year and it had just bitten in. we pulled it off and it didn't even leave a mark. 4 weeks later when he was diagnosed with lyme disease. He is 3 1/2 now and last week got bit by a seed tick. It has a horrid bulls eye rash on it, so he's on the same horrid antibiotics AGAIN!! How is it possible that my poor little guy got 2 tick diseases with the only 2 tick bites he's had!!?? This medicine is Doxycycline and isn't recommended for children under 8. He's gotta take almost 17 ml per day of this crap for 7 days!
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
Both my sons got ticks on Saturday night when we were fishing. I noticed it on my 2 year old right away, we had been at the lake less than an hour and the tick was still squirming around (hadn't latched on real good yet) so we just kinda flicked it off. I fleetingly worried about it, because he's a special needs kid with a primary immune deficiency, so I worry about everything with him, but it was on there such a short time.

Anyway, the next morning I found a tick on my 4 year old, too, that obviously had been on there since the previous evening. We removed it gently by applying steady pressure with special tick removing tweezers and checked it over and it appeared to be intact. I washed his skin with alcohol and you can't even see a spot anymore.

I looked up tick species in Ohio, and I think it was a blacklegged tick (link)

Is there anything else I should do? I was very surprised to see ticks this early in the year, it's still fluctuating weather here in Ohio, cold just as often as it's warm! I guess we need to start putting on bug spray and doing tick checks when we go fishing!

Should I watch for anything other than a rash? Fever? Should I call the ped and tell them that they got bit, just in case symptoms develop later, or should I just wait and see? I'm not usually a very reactive type person, but with Connor's immune deficiency, I never know what I should react to and what I shouldn't!!!
Get some topical iodine and dab it on the site, then give your children an iodine supplement, you cant get lyme disease when you are sufficient in iodine.
http://iodine4health.com/disease/lyme_disease.htm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmyers View Post
My 2 1/2 yr old got bit by a tick last year and it had just bitten in. we pulled it off and it didn't even leave a mark. 4 weeks later when he was diagnosed with lyme disease. He is 3 1/2 now and last week got bit by a seed tick. It has a horrid bulls eye rash on it, so he's on the same horrid antibiotics AGAIN!! How is it possible that my poor little guy got 2 tick diseases with the only 2 tick bites he's had!!?? This medicine is Doxycycline and isn't recommended for children under 8. He's gotta take almost 17 ml per day of this crap for 7 days!
If it isn't recommended for children under 8 then why was it prescribed? There are other antibiotics that are appropriate for his age.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnMomma View Post
You can make a very effective repellent using aloe juice, and essential oils of lemon, eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, and distilled water. Always use it and always reapply often and always check for ticks as soon as you come indoors.
Can you post directions for making this? Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Toddlers with tick bites