or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Gardening › natural ways to kill poison oak
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

natural ways to kill poison oak

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
does any of you mamas have any tips for killing poison oak naturally? we pull it up, but there is seriously like half and acre of our property covered in new poison oak growth. poor dh already has it all over from pulling it up by hand the other day. although he was wearing no t-shirt and shorts. couldn't see that one coming. tia!
post #2 of 9
I am planning on trying this on my poison ivy this year...

http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com...poisonivy.html

I hope it works!
post #3 of 9
I've tried orange oil and I've tried vinegar (straight) but not together, I'll be curious to hear how that works.

I posted in another thread that I spray poison oak. I HATE to use spray but we have really tried it all (pulling up, tilling where practical, mowing where practical, natural control like boiling water and above mentioned tries, and NOTHING has worked. The stuff is nuts. And I do have to re-spray in a lot of places still. I've read that the tiniest live root can spring a whole new plant. Spraying is my one big concession in life.... we're organic and sustainable for most everything else. It sucks, but it's reality. I get such a bad reaction to it (have had to get a shot before! Which I hate MORE than spraying!) that while I hate to spray, I must. I haven't this spring (and my husband refuses to, he's the hold out) because I'm pregnant, which means next spring will be torturous! We have a couple acres and they are covered in it. I haven't even STARTED on any of that, I just try to control what is around our house.
post #4 of 9
it's the oil in the plant that gets you so if you would to go out and pull it up be sure to lather yourself in oil (vegetable, olive, shortening) so your skin has already absorbed all that it can and it makes a protective layer.

We have only done the pull method with poison ivy before.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
thanks for the tips mamas! i think i'll try the vinegar in the areas where we hang out, but just avoid the back acre for now. i wonder if a flame torch would work???????
post #6 of 9
Ooh, I don't know if you were kidding, but DON'T burn the stuff! It will get into your eyes and lungs and make you life much worse than the skin rash.

I'm currently suffering through my first case of poison ivy of the year; our yard is infested with the stuff. Last summer, when we moved in, I had four back-to-back cases of it. I expect this summer will be the same, although I am being super careful and using the poison ivy body wash stuff. Insidious little plant.

Thus far we've just been pulling up the root system; spraying didn't seem to make much of a difference last year. I hope this thread will give us a better option!
post #7 of 9
If you (or others) do decide to use a chemical to control ... instead of spraying what about wiping the leaves down, wear the heavy chemical rubber gloves and instead of spraying the plant, wipe or paint the stuff on each plant... I know that's a lot more work but you will use less spray and less chance the chemical will go on plants you don't want it on.
post #8 of 9
goats! There's an outfit near here that rents out their goats for underbrush control. I'm afraid my dogs would never stop barking if we tried that, but it does sound tempting.

I have heard about the vinegar. Note that the recipe calls for 20% vinegar which is much much stronger than the kind you get at the grocery store. Check out this link on garden web for more info: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...514210084.html .

When pulling poison ivy I always wrap myself in plastic! I stick my arm in a plastic bag, and pull the poison ivy using the plastic covered gloved hand, then I turn the bag inside out with the poison ivy inside and tie it up and throw it in the trash (never the compost!). It's very labor intensive and, like the OP, we have a huge crop of it down in the edge of the backyard so I pick my battles and get the new sprouts in our playing area first. I have tried spraying the big patch with several homemade mixtures (never tried the stronger vinegar) with no luck. I won't resort to RoundUp because I won't support Monsanto in any way. Evil, evil, evil!
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
Ooh, I don't know if you were kidding, but DON'T burn the stuff! It will get into your eyes and lungs and make you life much worse than the skin rash.
yeah, i was joking! but only mildly! i hope your rash gets better, it's nasty stuff.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
If you (or others) do decide to use a chemical to control ... instead of spraying what about wiping the leaves down, wear the heavy chemical rubber gloves and instead of spraying the plant, wipe or paint the stuff on each plant... I know that's a lot more work but you will use less spray and less chance the chemical will go on plants you don't want it on.
great idea! i am totally against chemicals, but if i ever resorted to them, i would use your very smart suggestion. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
goats!

I have heard about the vinegar. Note that the recipe calls for 20% vinegar which is much much stronger than the kind you get at the grocery store. Check out this link on garden web for more info: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...514210084.html .

When pulling poison ivy I always wrap myself in plastic!!
hmmmm, will goats eat poison oak too?!? dh wants a goat really bad, and while i would love one too, i'd rather get a 2nd dog. but i will look into that. there are a lot of people around with goats.

interesting about the vinegar...........thank you for the link! and great idea on the plastic bag. i will suggest that to my dh for next time!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Gardening
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Gardening › natural ways to kill poison oak