or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Work from Home Parents › Ok...how do WE make $$ with our Blogs? MDC momma blogs rock!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ok...how do WE make $$ with our Blogs? MDC momma blogs rock! - Page 4

post #61 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
yay! i didn't see that post. but ok now my blog looks all smooshed..is there a way to expand the middle section? what do you ladies think? look smooshed to you?
I don't think your blog looks smooshed, but I just changed mine to three columns and I think mine looks smooshed now Maybe it's like a new hair-style and takes getting used to
post #62 of 106
Sounds like very good advice, Flowers.

Thanks,
Laura
post #63 of 106
If anyone needs blogging tips or hints just let me know. I am making a decent living with my blog and would love to help anyone out.
post #64 of 106
thanks!! how do i even begin to make money? i dont sell anything ...
post #65 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
thanks!! how do i even begin to make money? i dont sell anything ...
Most bloggers earn their living by these three things:

1. Writing Reviews
2. Selling Ad Space
3. Promoting Affiliate Products

If you want more information on how to get started with any of these just contact me directly. I will do my best to point you in the right direction.
post #66 of 106
I'm going to be avoiding ads all together until (if) I get some decent traffic. Then I'll try for some sponsors. I want to hand pick handmade/local companies to feature and incorporate the ads in a way that doesn't distract from my material. I'm sure it's going to take a little while to build readership and find a rhythm, but I'm thinking it will be worth it. I usually avoid reading blogs that look sorta messy with big ol' blinky ads and such. I want to try and keep it minimal and professional.

'Course I'm already fantasizing about sponsorship for my blog. Naturally, everyone and their mother will be rapping at my door begging for a 1" square ad space any day now. I've been blogging for a whole 72 hours already.
post #67 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
thanks!! how do i even begin to make money? i dont sell anything ...
For me, it's the following:
  • Ad Network (not just the CPM ads, but also their other promotions)
  • Direct Ad Sales
  • Affiliate Sales

I, personally, don't do paid reviews as I have an issue with ethics surrounding advertisers interfering with blog content - but I do do a lot of (unpaid) reviews on my site. I also don't do adsense because I don't like how it looks. Both paid reviews and adsense can be lucrative depending on your niche. I should mention that I didn't even think about ads until I had some fairly regular traffic and that direct ad sales is hard and time-consuming. My affiliate sales would probably do better if I did a better job incorporating their banner ads into the site and linking through to affiliates on posts. I also absolutely refuse to promote any product that I don't use or that is not specific to my niche.
post #68 of 106
Hey Cascia,
I pmd you about some blogging questions.

Thx!
post #69 of 106
I just stuck my toe in the water by putting adsense on my blog. I have no idea how much it will make... probably a few dollars! But I figure making enough for a cup of coffee for something I do anyway... why not?

Those who have "followed" me, thanks! I hope to be able to return the favor.
post #70 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat View Post
I'm going to be avoiding ads all together until (if) I get some decent traffic. Then I'll try for some sponsors. I want to hand pick handmade/local companies to feature and incorporate the ads in a way that doesn't distract from my material. I'm sure it's going to take a little while to build readership and find a rhythm, but I'm thinking it will be worth it. I usually avoid reading blogs that look sorta messy with big ol' blinky ads and such. I want to try and keep it minimal and professional.

'Course I'm already fantasizing about sponsorship for my blog. Naturally, everyone and their mother will be rapping at my door begging for a 1" square ad space any day now. I've been blogging for a whole 72 hours already.
holy cow! I love the stuff on your blog! Do you make those houses? I can't tell where to buy them...they are so awesome!

and the shoes are perfect too! I have been looking for some
post #71 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascia View Post
Most bloggers earn their living by these three things:

1. Writing Reviews
2. Selling Ad Space
3. Promoting Affiliate Products

If you want more information on how to get started with any of these just contact me directly. I will do my best to point you in the right direction.
if I want to write a review of an MDC WAHM shop/product, where do I go to find one/her? I need to find someone who makes green birthday cards/invites for an article...and I'd rather promote an MDC mom and her products...
post #72 of 106
Quote:
Is there a way to only accept ads for kefir grains, or essential oils or things like that? Maybe get a sponsorship somehow? How do you get a sponsorship?
i just recently added sponsors to my blog. i wrote out my intentions for sponsorship (which later evolved into a sponsor info sheet for people who inquire) and then contacted friends who offer products/services that feel in line with my blog content. right now i'm doing a three month trial period with four sponsors. i'm giving them free ad space in exchange for them giving me feedback on what kind of hits they get via my site and they are also running discount promos using my blog name to help track sales.

the give-aways are going great...steadily building...and by word-of-mouth i've begun having discussions with other businesses that are interested. (working on setting my rates and policies right now.)

Quote:
I need to find someone who makes green birthday cards/invites for an article...and I'd rather promote an MDC mom and her products...
i would think you could post on the wahm well to see if there is anyone there who makes green stationary. (might want to check with the mods though to make sure it's ok.)

also...not limited to mdc but i see a ton of requests on HARO (help a reporter out) for people who are looking for products to review. you could be super specific...i am looking for green birthday cards/invites created by a work-at-home-parent for review on my blog. etc.
post #73 of 106
I am dipping my toe into niche blogging and am looking for contributors.

Pay is $6 with a byline, bio, link to your site. Topic is kid activities, if anyone is interested pm as I haven't paid the fee to link to a monetized site on MDC.

I agree with Cascia, it does seem that most of the $$ online is in reviews, ad space and affiliates. I think what some of us mommas here are trying to do is a different business model entirely though, which means it will have to be built from the ground up.

I also found this blog full in of information: Introduction to niche blogging
V
post #74 of 106
It seems that there are many of us waiting to build our readership before we think about ads or sponsors.

What is the magic number for you? 100 returning readers a day? 200? 1,000? I'm just curious.

Personally, I think I'll be shooting for around 150 returning readers and 500 unique hits daily before I start looking into it.

Is that way to low? Too high?

Discuss.
post #75 of 106
subbing...


for those of us that are totally new to blogging and ads, is there some places we can find out how to do this? I currently have a business website through yahoo and have seen my traffic increase. My daughter has asked me if I was going to blog stuff (midwifery, parenting, nursing, stuff like that). and asked about google ads.

i have no idea how to even get started! Any suggestions on the best ways to learn? thanks!
post #76 of 106
I'm waiting for around 1,000 hits a day and/or 150 subscribers. Right now, my thought is to seriously look into sponsors by August this year. Or even earlier, but that's my goal. I'm trying to re-design my website as well before I start sponsors.
post #77 of 106
I put mine on there, I'm Audrey... tryin' to figure out ways to pay for this new bean on the way. I already blog, facebook and all that stuff, so I figure if you girls know any additional way to make more money with my blog, I'm ALL ears!

Currently I have AdSense on there, but I haven't really blogged in a while.

My DP and I are going to simultaneously blog about this pregnancy... it should be interesting. LOL! But that will be on another site. What's your favorite? I've used blogger and wordpress...
post #78 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogginworks View Post
I put mine on there, I'm Audrey... tryin' to figure out ways to pay for this new bean on the way. I already blog, facebook and all that stuff, so I figure if you girls know any additional way to make more money with my blog, I'm ALL ears!

Currently I have AdSense on there, but I haven't really blogged in a while.

My DP and I are going to simultaneously blog about this pregnancy... it should be interesting. LOL! But that will be on another site. What's your favorite? I've used blogger and wordpress...
Well, if you haven't blogged in a while, i would suggest doing that. You're not going to get any readers if you don't blog! I use blogger and like it..
post #79 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
I'm waiting for around 1,000 hits a day and/or 150 subscribers.
I try to do good content but I feel like I'll never get that much traffic.

Anyway...I'm subbing. :
post #80 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
I try to do good content but I feel like I'll never get that much traffic.

Anyway...I'm subbing. :
aww, You will... it just likes time and a lot of time/writing/thinking, but I hear ya, I'm so far away from 1,000 I feel like it's a shot in the dark. However, I NEVER thought I would get 100 subscribers and I'm almost there. I'm just SHOCKED!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Work from Home Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Work from Home Parents › Ok...how do WE make $$ with our Blogs? MDC momma blogs rock!