Can anyone think of any reason NOT to get this vaccine for a 20 mo? I know the disease is rare, but that doesn't mean alot to me because there is still a chance of coming in contact with it. Oh, btw, he is also still partially bf.
|read somewhere that getting this vaccine could increase his chances of getting other non hi related types (pneumococcal) of meningitis (Hilary Butler), but I cannot find this information anywhere else, so I am not sure I believe it.|
|widespread use of Hib conjugate vaccine and the subsequent reduction in Hib colonization may have opened an ecologic niche for increased colonization with Hia or other non-Hib strains...the potential for serotype replacement remains a concern (16). Three population-based studies have documented small increases in the incidence of non–type b H. influenzae disease after the introduction of the Hib conjugate vaccine...or a preexisting background rate of non-b serotype disease may have simply been uncovered due to the decreasing Hib rates.|
|Furthermore, the potential risk of the vaccine exceeds the potential benefit. We compared a group that received four doses of the vaccine, a group that received one dose, and a group that was not vaccinated. The cumulative incidence of diabetes per 100 000 in the three groups receiving four, one, and no doses of the vaccine was 261, 237, and 207 at age 7 and 398, 376, and 340 at age 10 respectively.|
My daughter got her prevnar and a hib at her 18thish month visit, within a couple of months she was deathly ill with an s. pneumo bacterial illness. Hilary helped me to connect the dots. IMHO had Morgan not gotten those two vaccines together, she wouldn't have almost died due to the infection she got. There is substantial proof that when you give the Hib vax that it increases the risks of getting s. pneumo. We are proof of that. Thankfully, our daughter is still alive.
|I would get the vaccination. The side effects are low and you'll feel better that you did. It's only ONE, instead of several! The benefits outweigh the risks.|
|In 1998–2000, approximately 44% of children younger than 5 years of age with confirmed invasive Hib disease were younger than 6 months of age and too young to have completed a three-dose primary vaccination series. Fifty-six percent were age 6 months or older and were eligible to have completed the primary vaccination series. Of these age-eligible children, 68% were either incompletely vaccinated (fewer than 3 doses) or their vaccination status was unknown. Thirty-two percent of children aged 6–59 months with confirmed type b disease had received three or more doses of Hib vaccine, including 22 who had received a booster dose 14 or more days before onset of their illness. The cause of Hib vaccine failure in these children is not known.|
I just came across your post from April '09 and couldn't believe the similarity in how you verbalized your decision making with the HiB vaccine and how I feel at this exact moment. Two years later, I am curious to know which path you took and how you have felt about your decision. I am currently in anguish over deciding which and how many vaccines to get for my 31 month old non-vaxed daughter. I have 7 year old twins (received only their 0-18 month vaxes) that are constantly bringing home germs, and despite our best efforts to stay healthy we have had a pretty rough winter. They all had influenza B last month, which put my 2 1/2 year old in the hospital. And she has been treated with 2 rounds of antibiotics since November for conjunctivitis and ear infections (her only two ever.) They were all breast-fed until 14 months, but I am assuming that has no benefit at this point. Another question to all mothers would be - how do you keep your kids immune systems in tip-top shape? What supplements do you recommend? Currently we do JuicePlus, Bio-K liquid probiotics, and elderberry on occasion.
Thanks in advance!!
we do probiotics, cod liver oil, and if hes coming down with something we do vit. c and an elderberry supplement.
i also really limit his sugar, so no juices or treats unless we're celebrating something, and i try my best to eat a whole food diet with many greens and vegetables. coconut oil, bee pollen, and sun is shining green powder in our smoothies.
we still get colds/coughs and such. and i think making sure they're eliminating daily is really important and the general stress level is low and a happy home is provided:)
but as for the breastmilk-though you are not bf now, i believe there are still benefits that bf children receive long after they were breastfed.
Thanks so much for the info. It is comforting to know that BF may still have some lingering benefits. Also, I do keep hearing of cod liver oil supplement, but can't imagine that it tastes good? Do you have a source where you get it, or a tip on how you get your kids to take it?
Hi. Wow! It HAS been 2 years since I posted this!! My son is almost 4 now and still unvaxed. I will be honest and say this vaccine is the one that gave/gives me the most grief. I decide and then I would get nervous again. I read a scientific study that said breastfeeding protects even after you have stopped bf'ing. My son is very healthy, praise the Lord! I do give him supplements too. I give him juice plus, multivitamin, cod liver oil (carlson's lemon flavor in juice or a spoon with a drop of Dr. T's vitamin D3 (1000iu), and a probiotic daily....also lots of good rest and sunshine and play. My older kids were vaxed until I had one (my 4th) have a possible neurological reaction to his 4 month vaccines. I am learning more and more and always researching! I would love to know what you decide.