or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › Autism Among Unvaccinated Children?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Autism Among Unvaccinated Children? - Page 2

post #21 of 80
How much fluoride is your son ingesting? Most people don't know this but kids have developed autism from eating too much toothpaste. They fluoridate water now, they put bromide in bread, there is chlorine in the pools, they put mercury in our mouths... what of this has or is your son exposed to? You can reverse this though, Iodine causes your body to excrete these things, and the best part, it's an essential mineral, not enough people get it.... you can pick up a bottle of liquid potassium iodine at any health food store for like 3 bucks. Thats what my son, nephew and niece take, we have noticed an improvement in their behavior since beginning supplementation. BTW my son and nephew are 5 and get 2mg of iodine every day.
post #22 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamber View Post
I still think there are some cases of autism that have been triggered by vaccines.
If you look up the symptoms of a stroke, most children that suffer adverse effects fit into that category perfectly.
http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-d...troke-children
post #23 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
How much fluoride is your son ingesting? Most people don't know this but kids have developed autism from eating too much toothpaste. They fluoridate water now, they put bromide in bread, there is chlorine in the pools, they put mercury in our mouths... what of this has or is your son exposed to?
We have always given him flouride-free toothpaste. Rarely do we get the chance to go swimming. He breastfeed for the first year and a half (I wanted to make it to the two year mark, but he either self weaned or went on a nursing strike), and after that he was mostly given water (sometimes purchased spring water, sometimes tap). So, his exposure has been small.

As far as being nutrient deficient, that is a good possibility. Our diet is not the best, something I am trying to improve. Will look more into that.
post #24 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamber View Post
As far as being nutrient deficient, that is a good possibility. Our diet is not the best, something I am trying to improve. Will look more into that.
The insidious thing is that it's not just what we eat, it's deficiencies that are being passed down for generations.

FWIW, my kids have a lot of nutritional deficiencies related to this, but mine were only marginally better when I was their age, and my mom was only a bit better still. It's not just what we're eating now, it's the lack of building blocks for generations.

Iodine is one thing that's particularly affected when mercury accumulates (my issue, my family's issue), but there are others, zinc, selenium, vitamins A and D, B vitamins to use the zinc and do other functions... it's not just one or two things.
post #25 of 80
Id look into celiacs. My ODD ( dairy and working on getting Dx celiacs) and YDD have behavior and personality changes when exposed. Its really common for this to be part of the issue.We don't vaccinate and I wasn't vaccinated.
post #26 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
The insidious thing is that it's not just what we eat, it's deficiencies that are being passed down for generations.

FWIW, my kids have a lot of nutritional deficiencies related to this, but mine were only marginally better when I was their age, and my mom was only a bit better still. It's not just what we're eating now, it's the lack of building blocks for generations.

Iodine is one thing that's particularly affected when mercury accumulates (my issue, my family's issue), but there are others, zinc, selenium, vitamins A and D, B vitamins to use the zinc and do other functions... it's not just one or two things.
I think you might be on to something with the deficiency. from what i read, that is a major factor in behavior, not to mention overall health and systemic stability.

Tanya, do you take Iodoral?
post #27 of 80
Have you tested for any food allergies? Behavior can change greatly if you eliminate foods. All common allergens should probably be avoided like Soy, Wheat, Tomatoes, Dairy, Corn. Potentially try an elimination diet and see if anything helps. Gradually bring back certain foods and see if there are any behavior triggers.
post #28 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann View Post

Tanya, do you take Iodoral?
I am now. Some folks have detox symptoms, either from mercury (possibly other heavy metals?) or from halides, but I never have, so it should be used with caution while nursing, if at all.
post #29 of 80
I know a few unvaxed autistic kiddos, both IRL and online (more online though, I live in an area where it is very unusual to be non-vaxed or selectively vaxed). I seriously delayed vaccinating my son, so had very few vaxes at the time he was diagnosed (and not the MMR).
post #30 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamber View Post
However, it does put a little war in my head - some autism information that is out there claims you can heal autism by detoxing the metals and junk from vaccines out of your body. So where does that leave me, when my child is vax-free? Ugg, I just feel so alone. :
I think there may be some children with heavy metal issues, that look like autism, and that appear to "recover" through detoxing. However, just my personal opinion, I kinda doubt this accounts for most children with an ASD dx. Again my personal opinion, but I don't think autism indicates "damage" that a child can be healed from. The research in this area indicates that children who end up diagnosed with autism follow a very different path of brain development from infancy, long before they receive a diagnosis.

My son has an autism dx and I can tell you in our own case I don't believe vaccines had a single thing to do with it. For several reasons. First of all the only vaccines he ever received was the three-dose series of DTaP. Nothing else, no HepB or polio or MMR, etc. The DTaP doses he received were in 2004 which was well after the thimerosol-containing doses had expired. Also, he was tested for heavy metals at age 3 and it turned up completely negative. And in retrospect, he had mild delays and signs of atypical development from when he was just a few months old. And finally...some of the traits being called "autistic" in our son -- are really not all that different from DH's personality. It's ramped up a bit, but honest to god the apple did not fall far from the tree. At this point I fully believe that at least in my DS' case it's a genetic issue and this is simply who he is. Something we have told ourselves since receiving the diagnosis is, "Autism is just a word and DS is the same kid he's always been." Meaning, we have the same hopes and dreams for him as we ever did, and we love and enjoy him the same as ever. We don't feel that we have lost the dream of a perfect child or anything like that. Merely that the diagnosis has given us a framework to understand him better and the ability to access resources which help him succeed (especially at school).
post #31 of 80



You didn't do anything wrong, mama.
post #32 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
How much fluoride is your son ingesting? Most people don't know this but kids have developed autism from eating too much toothpaste.
I have never heard this - do you have a link that shows this?
post #33 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
I think there may be some children with heavy metal issues, that look like autism, and that appear to "recover" through detoxing. However, just my personal opinion, I kinda doubt this accounts for most children with an ASD dx. Again my personal opinion, but I don't think autism indicates "damage" that a child can be healed from. The research in this area indicates that children who end up diagnosed with autism follow a very different path of brain development from infancy, long before they receive a diagnosis.

My son has an autism dx and I can tell you in our own case I don't believe vaccines had a single thing to do with it. For several reasons. First of all the only vaccines he ever received was the three-dose series of DTaP. Nothing else, no HepB or polio or MMR, etc. The DTaP doses he received were in 2004 which was well after the thimerosol-containing doses had expired. Also, he was tested for heavy metals at age 3 and it turned up completely negative. And in retrospect, he had mild delays and signs of atypical development from when he was just a few months old. And finally...some of the traits being called "autistic" in our son -- are really not all that different from DH's personality. It's ramped up a bit, but honest to god the apple did not fall far from the tree. At this point I fully believe that at least in my DS' case it's a genetic issue and this is simply who he is. Something we have told ourselves since receiving the diagnosis is, "Autism is just a word and DS is the same kid he's always been." Meaning, we have the same hopes and dreams for him as we ever did, and we love and enjoy him the same as ever. We don't feel that we have lost the dream of a perfect child or anything like that. Merely that the diagnosis has given us a framework to understand him better and the ability to access resources which help him succeed (especially at school).
But the big problem is discerning between the possibilities, and there aren't any cut-and-dried, foolproof tests that I know of (eta: not saying to refute your statement at all, I just wish things were more straightforward and easier to figure out--see my last paragraph, I later realized this could easily be misunderstood). My son's development has been impaired since before he was born, and it is heavy metals for us, I'm the source. He had the stereotypical jump in head growth and I think it's indicative of things developing amiss. He was clumsy, as a baby. I never knew that it would be possible to look at a 6-month old baby and consider them clumsy, but his brain wasn't developing right. And I can say it wasn't developing right because I know we, my son and my daughter and I, are having problems due to my amalgam fillings, and the cascade of impaired detoxification it's caused in me. And when I dwell on it, it's scary to know that this started before he was even conceived. But deciding yes/no on whether something like that is going on is complicated, the signs and symptoms could go either way.

It sounds like you've put in a lot of thought about your situation, and I guess I just wish there were easier ways for people to figure out their own situations. Instead it feels like people are left to figure it out largely on their own, and while that can be empowering, it's also difficult and tiring.
post #34 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
I think there may be some children with heavy metal issues, that look like autism, and that appear to "recover" through detoxing. However, just my personal opinion, I kinda doubt this accounts for most children with an ASD dx. Again my personal opinion, but I don't think autism indicates "damage" that a child can be healed from. The research in this area indicates that children who end up diagnosed with autism follow a very different path of brain development from infancy, long before they receive a diagnosis.

My son has an autism dx and I can tell you in our own case I don't believe vaccines had a single thing to do with it. For several reasons. First of all the only vaccines he ever received was the three-dose series of DTaP. Nothing else, no HepB or polio or MMR, etc. The DTaP doses he received were in 2004 which was well after the thimerosol-containing doses had expired. Also, he was tested for heavy metals at age 3 and it turned up completely negative. And in retrospect, he had mild delays and signs of atypical development from when he was just a few months old. And finally...some of the traits being called "autistic" in our son -- are really not all that different from DH's personality. It's ramped up a bit, but honest to god the apple did not fall far from the tree. At this point I fully believe that at least in my DS' case it's a genetic issue and this is simply who he is. Something we have told ourselves since receiving the diagnosis is, "Autism is just a word and DS is the same kid he's always been." Meaning, we have the same hopes and dreams for him as we ever did, and we love and enjoy him the same as ever. We don't feel that we have lost the dream of a perfect child or anything like that. Merely that the diagnosis has given us a framework to understand him better and the ability to access resources which help him succeed (especially at school).
This. Almost exactly.

We also had heavy metal testing, genetic testing, brain scans and there was nothing. We also can look back and see that it was there from the beginning.

I know people like to believe that non-vaxed children can't have autism, but it just isn't true. I know non-vax, extended breastfeeding, no intervention preganancy and births (homebirth), baby wearing, attachment parenting gurus who still have autistic kids.

Withholding vaccines as a guarenteed way to prevent autism is a MYTH.

And although we delayed vaccines, we did finally start giving him vaccines at 4-5yo, and you know what....no difference AT ALL. He continued to develop on the same path he was on, still improving at his own pace.
post #35 of 80
oh mama, don't look to self blame!

my eldest nephew (in his mid-20s) has autism and is very low functioning. it took a long time for my sister to get a diagnosis since it was still rare in the early 80s. the drs had him on meds like ritalin etc, and she wanted to do something else to try and improve his quality of life. she put him on a casein-free diet and has had some success with it, also he is in art therapy, and animal therapy (swimming with dolphins, paired up with a dog now). he's functioning well enough now to be involved in the special olympics (hockey) and is part of a bowling league. her efforts definitely have made a HUGE difference, and though he'll never be independent, he knows who his family is and who his friends are. it's been such a long road, but it's amazing to see the power of a determined mama!

i had all my fillings switched out for bio-compatible ones (my dentist is a holistic dentist as well as being trained in the mainstream, and he works with a naturopathic doctor to determine which fillings are best for individual patients) i then did the klinghardt protocol for a few months - lots of chlorella, oil of cilantro, garlic, selenium, b6 and a few others. i had previously had difficulty conceiving, and the FIRST month i was done with the heavy metal cleanse i got pregnant - maybe coincidence, but it was a very gentle cleanse (1 week per month for 6 months) and i felt great by the time i was on the 3rd month. i know a bit o/t but an affordable option if you can't afford to get your dental work switched out.
post #36 of 80
oh here is the link from my dentist's website about the klinghardt protocol in case you are interested

http://www.drfarid.com/detoxification.html

oh and since fluoride was mentioned he also has a link to an interesting article about it - snippet from it...

"Dr. Limeback is Canada's leading fluoride authority and, until recently, the country's primary promoter of the controversial additive...
In a surprising newsmaker interview this past April, Dr. Limeback announced a dramatic change of heart. "Children under three should never use fluoridated toothpaste," he counseled. "Or drink fluoridated water."

http://www.drfarid.com/floride.html
post #37 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmamas View Post
I think the only study was the Generation Rescue study (it was a phone study) found about double the rates of autism, OCD, and ADHD in vaxed kids.
Actually, the study by Generation Rescue does not show that at all.

Number of boys and girls with Aspergers
Unvaccinated: 1% of total
Partially vaccinated: 2% of total
Fully vaccinated: 1%
Fully and Partially combined: 2%

Conclusion: you are 1% more likely to have Aspergers if you have been partially vaccinated than unvaccinated. If you are fully vaccinated your chance of being Aspergers is no greater than if you were unvaccinated.

Number of boys and girls with PDDNOS
Unvaccinated: 2% of total
Partially vaccinated: 2% of total
Fully vaccinated: 1%
Fully and Partially combined: 1%

Conclusion: you are 1% more likely to have PDDNOS if you are unvaccinated.

Number of boys and girls with Autism
Unvaccinated: 2% of total
Partially vaccinated: 4% of total
Fully vaccinated: 2%
Fully and Partially combined: 2%

Conclusion: you are 2% more likely to have autism if you have been partially vaccinated. If you are fully vaccinated your chance of being autistic is no greater than if you were unvaccinated.

Number of boys and girls with all ASD’s
Unvaccinated: 4% of total
Partially vaccinated: 6% of total
Fully vaccinated: 3%
Fully and Partially combined: 3%

Conclusion: you are 2% more likely to have an ASD if you have been partially vaccinated. If you are fully vaccinated your chance of being autistic is 1% less than if you were unvaccinated.
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Gardens View Post
Conclusion: you are 2% more likely to have an ASD if you have been partially vaccinated. If you are fully vaccinated your chance of being autistic is 1% less than if you were unvaccinated.
But, does that include parents who stopped vaccinating their children AFTER diagnosis? My son would be part of that statistic of being autistic and partially vaccinated because he was vaccinated on schedule up until he was diagnosed, after which we stopped until we could do more research.
post #39 of 80
LazyGardens,

http://www.generationrescue.org/survey.html


I do not think that is correct. I read the Generation Rescue study and they ARE saying that the rate of autism in vaxed kids is at least doubled. Especially in boys! The link above is the study that I read.
post #40 of 80
I agree with Stacey05.. Here are a few quotes from the site:

Quote:
Vaccinated boys were 158% more likely to have a neurological disorder (RR 2.58)
- Vaccinated boys were 317% more likely to have ADHD (RR 4.17)
- Vaccinated boys were 112% more likely to have autism (RR 2.12)
That seems pretty significant to me. Here's another link from their site:
http://www.generationrescue.org/pdf/070626.pdf

Quote:
We found that vaccinated boys had more than a 2.5% greater rate of neurological disorders than unvaccinated boys. We believe a national study must be done to further explore these disturbing results.
2.5% may seem like a small number to you, but it is statistically signifcant, it was also smaller than the quotes above because it represented very young children too (too young to have yet been diagnosed) whereas the above quotes (higher pecentage wise) represented those older children who would have already been diagnosed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Not Vaccinating
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › Autism Among Unvaccinated Children?