or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › green juices in pregnancy - what's good and safe to juice?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

green juices in pregnancy - what's good and safe to juice?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
hi all, i origanally posted this on nutrition and good eating but i only got one repliy, so thought i'd post here in case anyone's got some good suggestions!
i'm 22 weeks pregnant prior to getting pregnant i was having daily green juices made with celery, cucumber and either parsley or cilantro. i've not felt like a green juice since becoming pregnant up until a couple of weeks ago when i started to juice again. but i just read somewhere that celery and parsley juice isn't so good to drink during pregnancy - i don't know if this is even true or not! but i'm worrying now! anyone know what's good and safe to juice during preganancy. i'd like get back into my juicing again, as i feel i really need a daily green drink, but don't know what to juice now. any suggestions? thanks.
post #2 of 12
All I know is that when at one point I had a late period my mother told me to boil a bunch of parsley and make it as strong as possible to bring on my period. So, I guess it may be an old fashioned induction technique? Or maybe it is simply something that brings on your period, but won't harm you once you are pregnant. I probably wouldn't drink thejuice because of that experince, however, I have no idea if it is harmful at all... just anecdotal experience. HTH!?
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
thanks, yes thats what i read about celery and parsley and thats why it said not to drink in pregnancy. i'm a bit stuck now with just cucumber as so many other greens aren't good raw because of oxalates! maybe i'll have to just wait until after the birth.
post #4 of 12
I am not too concerned about the oxolates, so I would add the greens. I don't juice alot (i am 27 wks pregnant), I have been trying to maximize my calories and have been drinking loads of raw milk, berry, seaweed smoothies.
post #5 of 12
Ditto about not having too much parsley while prego.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I am not too concerned about the oxolates, so I would add the greens. I don't juice alot (i am 27 wks pregnant), I have been trying to maximize my calories and have been drinking loads of raw milk, berry, seaweed smoothies.
thanks for your post. can you explain how you make your smoothie, what quantities do you add and what type of seaweed do you use? they sound interesting do they taste nice. thanks.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
thanks for your post. can you explain how you make your smoothie, what quantities do you add and what type of seaweed do you use? they sound interesting do they taste nice. thanks.
I never measure really, but for estimates:
Raw milk
1 T bee Pollen
pinch chlorella (I don't use too much because this stuff is so nasty! But I do up it when I need a detox since it removes heavy metals gently)
camu camu powder- 1-2 tsp (natural amazonian fruit that is super high in vit C in great useable form)
chia seeds 2-4 T
couple scoops hemp protein powder (don't always use this, but whenever I feel like it)
few scoops raw yogurt
homemade dandelion vinegar (this is for mineral and liver support during pregnancy. It may sound strange in a smoothie, but you cant even taste a tablespoon)
pinch of kelp
loads of spirulina (this sea green in so mild and actually sweet. I love it)
little maple syrup
fruit mixture (whatever you like, I love wild blueberries which costco has cheap, bananas, strawberries, etc

This makes a whole blenderful, and I give it to my 2 yr old, and dh loves it. It really keeps me going this pregnancy.
post #8 of 12
I wouldn't use cilantro while preggo because it will detox any heavy metals which I think isn't safe for baby.
post #9 of 12
I've heard/read the same thing about parsley.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I never measure really, but for estimates:
Raw milk
1 T bee Pollen
pinch chlorella (I don't use too much because this stuff is so nasty! But I do up it when I need a detox since it removes heavy metals gently)
camu camu powder- 1-2 tsp (natural amazonian fruit that is super high in vit C in great useable form)
chia seeds 2-4 T
couple scoops hemp protein powder (don't always use this, but whenever I feel like it)
few scoops raw yogurt
homemade dandelion vinegar (this is for mineral and liver support during pregnancy. It may sound strange in a smoothie, but you cant even taste a tablespoon)
pinch of kelp
loads of spirulina (this sea green in so mild and actually sweet. I love it)
little maple syrup
fruit mixture (whatever you like, I love wild blueberries which costco has cheap, bananas, strawberries, etc

This makes a whole blenderful, and I give it to my 2 yr old, and dh loves it. It really keeps me going this pregnancy.

oh wow thanks for this recipe - you are using things i'd never even think to put in! so if cholorella detoxes heavy metals is it ok to use in pregnancy? do you have this often? how do you make dandelion vinegar?

and i'm definitly going to get some spirulina as i've never tried it and it sounds really nice! thanks.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
oh wow thanks for this recipe - you are using things i'd never even think to put in! so if cholorella detoxes heavy metals is it ok to use in pregnancy? do you have this often? how do you make dandelion vinegar?

and i'm definitly going to get some spirulina as i've never tried it and it sounds really nice! thanks.
I don't use loads of it, and I believe that there are so many foods that detox heavy metal, (even a glass of lemon water), so it is impossible to stay away from all of them. I just make sure I have plenty of probiotics in my diet. It helps my body stay is harmony with the metals.

I love herbal vinegars. You could post about it and perhaps get more responses, but I will try. When all the fresh wild edibles come up outside, they are full of so many nutrients, minerals, and healing properties. I love the vinegars because it makes taking them so easy. Like with dandelion, it is great to take for sinus infection. It is great for hormonal imbalances, and for me personally I inturn get a weak liver during pregnancy. I could drink a cup of dandelion tea, but it really does taste terrible. In the vinegar, it pulls out so much, and I only have to take a spoon of it, and it works the same. There are some many wild edible plants out there right now this spiring that are so healing, that we can preserve in vinegars, and use during the winter when we don't have access to the plants. I just collected dandelion with my daughter the other day, and we made a fresh bottle trying to stock up for the winter.

So easy:
collect whatever wild greens you want
chop them up
put them in a jar
fill with raw apple cider vinegar to cover herbs
and let sit for at least a month
straining right away isn't necessary because more nutrient will be pulled out as time goes by.

Plain dandelion greens are simple to start with and are all over.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
thanks bluebirdmama1 i shall make some with dandelion leaves as we have lots growing here now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Traditional Foods
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › green juices in pregnancy - what's good and safe to juice?