or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › My story, my cure...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My story, my cure... - Page 8

post #141 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Chicken head broth is supposed to be magical for iodine also.


Pat
I'm sure, but having grown up with fish head soup, it seems less disgusting somehow.
post #142 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Chicken head broth is supposed to be magical for iodine also.


Pat
Do chicken necks count? I can buy a big bag of necks at my Farmers' market.
post #143 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
So if you have used sea salt exclusively for 10 years, don't eat sea vegetables to speak of, eat a very small amount of seafood, and make all food from scratch (thus no iodized salt at all), chances would be good that you need iodine? And an underactive thyroid without clinical hypothyroidism could correlate to iodine deficiency, with the patch test taking 1.5-2 hours to fully disappear?
My 2 cents...

Yes most sea salt contains very little, less than iodized salt.

Yes absolutely, it appears that ANY thyroid condition one should first suspect iodine deficiency including subclinical, Wilson's Syndrome/low body temp, etc.

I don't believe in patch test since reading Abraham's information as noted above.
post #144 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Do chicken necks count? I can buy a big bag of necks at my Farmers' market.
You need the thyroid. Not sure it is in the neck parts, may be closer to the "chin"?

I've not studied Chicken A&P.


Pat
post #145 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
What is their position on the current thinking that most Americans actually get several TIMES more iodine than the current USRDA for that mineral? Or that in peoples with iodine deficiency, you see goiters very commonly in the population, and this is almost unheard of in most Americans today?

I would be shocked to learn I don't get enough iodine. It's in the natural salt I eat a lot of and I eat a lot of fish too. I wonder if supplementing with extra iodine wouldn't be a really REALLY bad idea for me?
The orthoiodosupplementation researchers (http://www.iodine4health.com/ortho/ortho.htm) with both clinicial and research experience have shown that the RDA is not sufficient to confer FULL BODY sufficiency of iodine. We have iodine receptors all over our body, not just the thyroid as mainstream medicine focuses upon with their typical blinders.

Low iodine leads to cysts on breasts, ovaries, uterine fibroids and prostate... cysts which can be precursors to cancer. We've certainly not heard of goiter but these other issues are endemic. Just in my own circle, my father and my best friend have thyroid nodules (low iodine as well). Another best friend, fibrocystic breasts. My cousin breast cancer. Myself and my son had low body temps (subclinical hypothyroidism.)

PCOS is so common most women have heard of it, I think like maybe 10% have it? I have 2 friends with PCOS as well. I had ovarian cysts at one point (long time ago) and then they went away when examined a couple years later. I think back with hindsight and what changed is that I became a sushi roll freak, that makes me think.

Goiter is not the only problem iodine deficiency causes. Personally I think they are absolutely right low iodine is the reason for these increased hormonal cancers. Brownstein's book ...

(yes Pat that is the book you linked above)

...is absolutely amazing on how he explains the connection between breast cancer and iodine. It was chilling to read.

Mainland Japanese get avg. 13.8 milligrams per day of iodine with much less breast cancer and thyroid problems from a diet high in seaweed and fish, and that is estimated to be around the proper psysiological daily dose (approx. 2 drops Lugol's 12.5 mg).

The body will just excrete what is not needed if you are sufficient and you can always do the iodine loading test to determine if you need it.
post #146 of 236
I will be back to talk more about goitrogens and how they influence how much iodine you need.

Such as this study in *children* showing intake of 10 mg of iodine (the RDA is .15 mg, iodine researchers say 12.5 - 50 mg. per day for adults) goiters still do not go away.

Quote:
"After a preliminary survey in 1949, tablets containing 10 mg potassium iodide had been made available to infants, preschool children, and schoolchildren through schools and child-health centres for weekly consumption for approximately sixteen years. State-wide surveys at five-year intervals showed a slow steady reduction in the prevalence of goiter, but in some regions the rates remained high."13

http://www.townsendletter.com/Oct200...buttal1005.htm
post #147 of 236
Seaweed also can contain goitrogens (such as the halide bromine) which negate the benefits.... and can cause bromism (headaches, fatigue, mental fogginess) in and of iself. Bromism can be caused by high iodine if one has large body stores of bromide.

Guess I'm not in bed by 10 Pat! I knew this thread would do me in...
post #148 of 236
Quote:
only 10% of sodium iodide present in table salt is bioavailable, due to competition with chloride for intestinal absorption.8
http://www.townsendletter.com/Oct200...buttal1005.htm
post #149 of 236
Also wanted to point out b/f I forget is that Abraham and Brownstein say that "magnesium and iodine deficiencies are the causes of autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's)" with additional reference to intake of high goitrogens and exposure to halides (fluoride, chlorine, bromine) exacerbating iodine deficiency.
post #150 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Also wanted to point out b/f I forget is that Abraham and Brownstein say that "magnesium and iodine deficiencies are the causes of autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's)" with additional reference to intake of high goitrogens and exposure to halides (fluoride, chlorine, bromine) exacerbating iodine deficiency.
I've been sooo busy and havent been able to post on the thread but I'm so glad Jane has researched the same things I have...

Thanks for the wonderful info Jane!
post #151 of 236
Nichole,
Do you mind the tack this thread has taken? Do you want us to start a new iodine only thread?
post #152 of 236
You know what, I think I'm going to do a "THE Iodine Thread" anyways. It's too important not to bring up to the forefront.

I'm working on it now. Trying to be as clear as possible b/c the power of this nutrient is so misunderstood.

As I said I got chills when I read Brownstein's book and its implications for only one disorder: breast cancer. And I STILL forgot what I learned and allowed myself to stay on one drop of Lugol's per day which is likely completely insufficent based on my toxological response.

I'm sure I've got a lot more crap clogging up my receptors. And right now, getting back into the research about what that mean really scares me.

(Thank you so much Nichole for reminding me! )

Don't know when it will go b/c I have to run errands now. I promise it will be a doozy. Probably my longest yet.
post #153 of 236
Thread Starter 
Actaully, Iodine is the reason for this thread, I wanted to help create an awareness, as you know it is misunderstood and so many people suffer on account of lacking this one essential mineral. That's not to say that other vitamins and minerals aren't important, in fact I believe we need them all in the proper amounts and I don't believe the RDA has an appropriate recommendation on what those amounts are. Iodine, unlike other vitamins and minerals gets the most negative attention, that is when it finally gets it. I made an informative website with links from all sorts of sources around the net that show the broad range of damage deficiency can cause, unfortunately because of the policy I am not allowed to post it, and because of the copyrights I would have trouble posting word for word what is on the site.

If you do make a new thread, I would like it very much if you would have a link on here so that others might be able to find it and find all the information I hope that we can provide ( I'd like to help )...

Nichole
post #154 of 236
Oh most definitely your thread will be linked in there!

Can you PM me your site?
post #155 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
with maybe mercury causing gluten intolerance too?

I thought I was read that iodine doesn't cause mercury chelation? Geez I would love it if it did, then I can say I *have* been chelating all this time!
From this link which you posted:
Quote:
Iodine has been shown to be a detoxifying agent for bromine, fluoride as well as mercury, aluminum, arsenic and cadmium. It is a powerful detoxifying agent for a variety of substances.
post #156 of 236
I think there's individual variation with how iodine reacts in people, in terms of mobilizing mercury, and then the exact definition of chelation. I didn't have any negative side effects when I started Iodoral the first time, and I may have been taking a standard multivit, but nothing special for nutritional detox support. My HCP didn't come out and say it, but she was quite worried, even still, that it mobilized at least some mercury to my nursing son.
post #157 of 236
and it didn't change the results of our hair testing over the span of a few years. I supplement in fairly high doses and my kids get it directly as well. I expected to see improvement, but did not. I have since figured other things out, but it certainly didn't mobilize enough over here.
post #158 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
The orthoiodosupplementation researchers (http://www.iodine4health.com/ortho/ortho.htm) with both clinicial and research experience have shown that the RDA is not sufficient to confer FULL BODY sufficiency of iodine. We have iodine receptors all over our body, not just the thyroid as mainstream medicine focuses upon with their typical blinders.

Low iodine leads to cysts on breasts, ovaries, uterine fibroids and prostate... cysts which can be precursors to cancer. We've certainly not heard of goiter but these other issues are endemic. Just in my own circle, my father and my best friend have thyroid nodules (low iodine as well). Another best friend, fibrocystic breasts. My cousin breast cancer. Myself and my son had low body temps (subclinical hypothyroidism.)

PCOS is so common most women have heard of it, I think like maybe 10% have it? I have 2 friends with PCOS as well. I had ovarian cysts at one point (long time ago) and then they went away when examined a couple years later. I think back with hindsight and what changed is that I became a sushi roll freak, that makes me think.

Goiter is not the only problem iodine deficiency causes. Personally I think they are absolutely right low iodine is the reason for these increased hormonal cancers. Brownstein's book ...

(yes Pat that is the book you linked above)

...is absolutely amazing on how he explains the connection between breast cancer and iodine. It was chilling to read.

Mainland Japanese get avg. 13.8 milligrams per day of iodine with much less breast cancer and thyroid problems from a diet high in seaweed and fish, and that is estimated to be around the proper psysiological daily dose (approx. 2 drops Lugol's 12.5 mg).

The body will just excrete what is not needed if you are sufficient and you can always do the iodine loading test to determine if you need it.
Thank you!!! : This is exactly what I was looking for. Off to read more...
post #159 of 236
I am glad to hear that more people are using iodine. I have been taking it for several years now. I took 50-100 mg daily for about a year with occasional higher doses. Then I cut back due to TTC and pregnancy. I'm now at about 25 mg daily while breastfeeding.

I found iodine after considering chelation due to having mercury fillings removed.

The first few weeks of taking iodine, I found I was really "stinky" and then after several weeks had no BO. It helped my allergies and greatly improved my sense of well-being and mental health. I highly recommend it. I found my info about iodine here... http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=815 There is tons of great info and it is also a good place to share experiences and ask questions.

ChristSavesAll, I'm wondering how much you took during pregnancy. I took 6-12 mg daily but felt like that probably wasn't enough.
post #160 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiechild View Post

The first few weeks of taking iodine, I found I was really "stinky" and then after several weeks had no BO.

I'm so glad you posted this. : I've considered asking if this is my imagination or something different with me. Since starting the kelp, I've noticed BO, just hours after a shower, and ripe the next day.


Pat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › My story, my cure...