or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › My story, my cure...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My story, my cure... - Page 9

post #161 of 236
The stinkiness is supposed to be due to bromide detox.
post #162 of 236
Thread Starter 
Lol, stinky pits

I remember that, then I was taking some fenugreek and my pits smelled like syrup and celery, no joke....

I've been taking 32.5mg while pg and bfing (9weeks preggo now) but I was having some anxiety attacks and decided to cut back to see if it was the iodine or the stress in my life at the moment... So currently taking 24mg but stress is over so I may go back up to see if the attacks come back, who knows I may have reached sufficiency...
post #163 of 236
This is fascinating. When you talk about low body temperature would that be when your feet are always cold? This is new for me but here are some symptoms I'm having.

Cold hands and feet(freezing all the time, past 6 monthes..thought it was winter but now it's warm and my feet are always cold)

Chilled feeling at times

a bit more tired than usual

itchy skin...I have exzema however that's not it, just general itchiness all over

Some heart palpitations a while back but that seems to have stopped.

I went to the health food store and my friend who has a diagnosed thyroid issue recommended I take a supplement she uses. I just started yesterday and it contains iodine/iodide plus some other stuff. She had hers tested again last week and her levels are almost back to normal after a month on this.

I was chalking this all up to winter and perimenopause but now I am thinking thyroid/iodine deficiency...particularly the cold thing..it's drastic and it's new to me.

Ps. If you start and iodine thread maybe I can get it stickied for you
post #164 of 236

Iodine Loading Test

I'd like to have the iodine loading test done on my own. Has anyone done it without a physician? I called one of the places in Jane's post and they said they need a doctor to receive the results.
post #165 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I'd like to have the iodine loading test done on my own. Has anyone done it without a physician? I called one of the places in Jane's post and they said they need a doctor to receive the results.
I wanted to as well, however they don't and won't. You must use a dr of some kind... it's really annoying.

And if you ask your doc to test you they try and convince you that you are fine and it's not possible.

That's partly why I never tested, the other part is that I just decided to treat myself based on my own symptoms, it's all about testing out the theory. I supplemented and all the symptoms I had previously are gone, with the exception to the hirsutism which has gotten worse since getting preggo but seemed to be almost gone just prior.

BTW to the other momma, "normal" levels are not indicative of iodine sufficiency as the test is inaccurate anyways..
post #166 of 236
I've also been following this thread with great interest. A few months ago I started having days where I just felt awful. Exhausted, and it physically hurt to walk up steps, carry a child, or even raise my arms up to get something. Every muscle ached. This feeling of fatigue and muscle pain would last a day or two, and then I'd feel okay again. And I get REALLY constipated. Like 5-6 days between, and a huge bloated uncomfortable belly. And I've gained 10 pounds without really making any changes to my diet or exercise. And my hair is falling out like crazy. And I'm depressed, and angry, and craving sugar like no tomorrow. All of this is really difficult for me because I'm an athlete (competitive runner, triathlete) and my workouts feel like $hit these days. I can't make my mileage goals and my speedwork is well, not as speedy as it's supposed to be.

But I'm still confused as to where to start with supplements. I take a B complex right now, but that's it.
post #167 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
But I'm still confused as to where to start with supplements. I take a B complex right now, but that's it.
Sorry you've been feelin so badly.

I recommend what I and my friends and others have taken that has been working.

One n Only multi
Carlson's Cod liver oil
Magnesium
Iodine

This is what I started with and as I upped my iodine I added

Futurebiotics Selenium
Source Naturals Chromium with Vanadium
NSI time release vitamin c
Siberian Ginseng (for adrenal support)

Recently I added Inositol and Choline and Iron as my multi doesn't contain those and they are both important.

The iron is for that faint feeling your get when stepping out of the shower or standing from a sitting position...

Inositol is vitamin b8 and is important, it has been used by those suffering from OCD and relieved it. It seems I'm less moody when I take it.


Vitacost.com is cheaper than vitamin stores and health food stores, the shipping is flat rate and fast so I use them all the time.
post #168 of 236
Don't need a dr. at http://www.hakalalabs.com/ they do the bromide test too
post #169 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Don't need a dr. at http://www.hakalalabs.com/ they do the bromide test too
Thanks Jane. What's the significance of the bromide test?
post #170 of 236
Thread Starter 
Hey Jane,

Thanks!! I have been looking everywhere, well I was before supping, I'll add that to my website.

Bromide test too! Awesome!
post #171 of 236
Holy cow, great info but A LOT of it!


This information is God-send, describes my 13 year old daughter to a TEE and we have been frustrated and dealing with it for a few years now.

Question-it may have been posted but it will be a bit before I can seriously read though all the posts on this thread so...where can I buy the essential supplements? My hubby and I buy from www.iherb.com most of the time (super great prices and free shipping, and no I don't get anything for saying that!) but not sure if they have exactly what you guys are talking about.

If anyone can post that, I'd greatly appreciate it.


Thanks!
post #172 of 236
You can get natural calm for your magnesium at iherb and also selenium. This is the particular selenium that is recomended.... http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Selen...Vcaps/818?at=0
post #173 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Don't need a dr. at http://www.hakalalabs.com/ they do the bromide test too
Ok so I gave them a call to double check before adding it to my site and apparently they can send it to any state EXCEPT

California, the law requires a prescription

And

New York, they can't send it at all... I would have a friend buy it and send it to me if I lived there... but that's just me lol
post #174 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiechild View Post
You can get natural calm for your magnesium at iherb and also selenium. This is the particular selenium that is recomended.... http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Selen...Vcaps/818?at=0
I would recommend the methylselenocysteine:

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas...sules/169?at=0

IHerb has Iosol iodine which is the ideal of iodine plus iodide for both thyroid and breasts and other receptors in body.

http://www.iherb.com/TPCS-Iosol-Form...0-ml/4785?at=0

But Iosol only has 1.83 mg per drop, much less than Lugols. Supposedly it is more bioavailable according to this website but I really do not know what to believe on that.

Brownstein and Flechas have the most clinical experience with Iodoral and Lugol's. Of course I'm left wondering whether you can use Iosol and just increase the number of drops to equal 12.5 - 50 mg. per day that they recommend.

You can get Lugol's at any compounding pharmacy or online
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...592631-6806458

Iodoral is Lugol's solution in an easy to take tablet, 12.5 mg per, which is equivalent to 2 drops of Lugol's. Available in many different places on the web. I haven't checked who has the best price yet but this one is good:

http://www.amazon.com/Optimox-Iodora...X843VG/ggbc-20

And....

Yes, I haven't finished my iodine thread yet! being too much of a perfectionist with it, but I sure am learning alot. It's coming I promise.
post #175 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Thanks Jane. What's the significance of the bromide test?
Many people are seriously bromide/bromine toxic. Detoxing this halide gives you serious headaches and fatigue and several other symptoms. Salt flushes are used to help the liver clear out more bromide and relieves symptoms. I'm actually thinking of doing the test b/c I have a hard time with higher doses of Lugol's and my symptoms tell me it's bromide.

It would be important to know if you are bromide toxic as well to track your effectiveness of iodine supplementation at getting rid of this toxin. It binds to the iodine receptors in the body and is thus rendering them unable to perform their primary function.... and we have receptors all over with largest ones in saliva, stomach, section of brain, breasts, uterus, ovaries. Any number of problems with these organs can arise if bromide is there in place of iodine... from malfunction (reduced stomach acid) to formation of cysts (PCOS, uterine fibroids, thyroid nodules) all the way to progressing to cancer.

More on bromide here:

http://theiodineproject.webs.com/bromidesinbread.htm

Bromide is in bread, Mountain Dew, Gatorade, Fresca (I looooved Fresca as a kid!!) to name a few. It's also in Celexa and other prescription drugs, I'm sure it caused my sister to gain the 75lbs the two years she was on Celexa.
post #176 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
Ok so I gave them a call to double check before adding it to my site and apparently they can send it to any state EXCEPT

California, the law requires a prescription

And

New York, they can't send it at all... I would have a friend buy it and send it to me if I lived there... but that's just me lol
I would do that too!
post #177 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Many people are seriously bromide/bromine toxic. Detoxing this halide gives you serious headaches and fatigue and several other symptoms. Salt flushes are used to help the liver clear out more bromide and relieves symptoms. I'm actually thinking of doing the test b/c I have a hard time with higher doses of Lugol's and my symptoms tell me it's bromide.

It would be important to know if you are bromide toxic as well to track your effectiveness of iodine supplementation at getting rid of this toxin. It binds to the iodine receptors in the body and is thus rendering them unable to perform their primary function.... and we have receptors all over with largest ones in saliva, stomach, section of brain, breasts, uterus, ovaries. Any number of problems with these organs can arise if bromide is there in place of iodine... from malfunction (reduced stomach acid) to formation of cysts (PCOS, uterine fibroids, thyroid nodules) all the way to progressing to cancer.

More on bromide here:

http://theiodineproject.webs.com/bromidesinbread.htm

Bromide is in bread, Mountain Dew, Gatorade, Fresca (I looooved Fresca as a kid!!) to name a few. It's also in Celexa and other prescription drugs, I'm sure it caused my sister to gain the 75lbs the two years she was on Celexa.
Well now you tell me. After i ordered the test kit. Sigh.

FWIW, I never liked Mt. Dew, Gatorade and only occasionally drank Fresca.
post #178 of 236
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Well now you tell me. After i ordered the test kit. Sigh.

FWIW, I never liked Mt. Dew, Gatorade and only occasionally drank Fresca.
Actually it's in almost all prepackaged breads and anything else made with flour as they brominate the flour... so even if you think you arent getting it you are.

They also use bromide in pesticides and the fruits and veggies actually absorb the bromide so you get it that way too.
post #179 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
Actually it's in almost all prepackaged breads and anything else made with flour as they brominate the flour... so even if you think you arent getting it you are.

They also use bromide in pesticides and the fruits and veggies actually absorb the bromide so you get it that way too.
We're gluten free and most of the bread I eat comes from grains I grind. Good to know about the fruits & veggies. Another reason I can't wait for my farmshare to start.

Not saying I don't have issues with it. Just wish I'd ordered the test kit for it.
post #180 of 236
Thread Starter 
Here in the US, some citrus flavored soft drinks - Mountain Dew, Gatorade, Powerade, Mello Yello, Pineapple and Orange Fanta, Sun Drop, Squirt and Fresca - BVO to give the drink a cloudy appearance.
It's so lame they ruin our health and for what, a cloudy appearance? :
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › My story, my cure...