Actually that is misinformation. The use of alcohol based sanitizers doesn't cause resitant bacteria or MRSA. They don't contribute to antibiotic resistance at all. http://www.tastelife.com/health/inst...sanitizer.aspx
And in fact they kill MRSA which is why they are used in health care and hospital settings. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=94761 http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com.../361feat4.html
I'm speaking only about alcohol based hand gels not chemical ones. And they don't kill things like c. diff nor do they wash dirt off hands. So washing with soap and water is still better. But not always practical. Most public restrooms now have antibacterial soap which does have possible issues. Ick. I still prefer soap and water but hate that the bad stuff is all I see now.
A toddler would have to drink a minimum of 1 to 2 ounces to have ill effects. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp So they aren't going to have harm from licking it off their hands after using it. But it's good to be aware that you don't want a small child drinking it so keep it up and away from young kids.
1oz of sanitizer has the equivalent amount of alcohol as 2 shots of vodka. That's a lot.