or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › In foreclosure, just a vent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In foreclosure, just a vent

post #1 of 91
Thread Starter 
Well, we are losing our house. We are trying our damndest to stay here, but it's just not going to happen. I'm scared, terrified really, because we will have no where to go or live. Our mortgage lender could only cut our payments $50/month, which is absolute BS. We have a bankruptcy on our record now, so we can't get a loan for 2 years. And just where in the heck is a family of 8 supposed to find a place to rent?

Where was the help when we needed it? Why can't the government step in and help us struggling families out? How was I supposed to know I was going to be laid off?

Sorry, just needed to vent .
post #2 of 91
I'm so sorry.
post #3 of 91
post #4 of 91
Hugs. I don't know where you are at in the foreclosure process or if you have already done this but I strongly suggest you talk to a HUD housing counselor. They will hopefully be able to help you out with finding a rental and also informing you of your legal right to remain in your house for some time. It depends on what state you are in but here in MI you can be in your house for about a year from your first missed payment. That can give you some time to figure things out. Best of luck to you.
post #5 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyd View Post
Hugs. I don't know where you are at in the foreclosure process or if you have already done this but I strongly suggest you talk to a HUD housing counselor. They will hopefully be able to help you out with finding a rental and also informing you of your legal right to remain in your house for some time. It depends on what state you are in but here in MI you can be in your house for about a year from your first missed payment. That can give you some time to figure things out. Best of luck to you.
Thank you, I'll do that. We figured we have about a year left here at the very most.
post #6 of 91
I'm so sorry. I really sympathize, we may be in your situation in the next few months.

I hope that you can find a place to live.
post #7 of 91
Couldn't read without posting

post #8 of 91
I don't have anything to offer other than support, but couldn't read without posting a hug to you, too.

:
post #9 of 91
post #10 of 91
Thread Starter 
Thank you all.
post #11 of 91
have you talked with your mortgage company about forbearance?
post #12 of 91
post #13 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
have you talked with your mortgage company about forbearance?
It really wouldn't do any good, as our circumstances are permanently changed.
post #14 of 91
No advice but
post #15 of 91
The sheriff in our county is advising people to take advantage of squatter's rights. I think he said that last year there were around 4000 foreclosures but only 81 evictions. It's something to look into anyhow. I am sorry that your lender wouldn't work with you more.
post #16 of 91
I'm sorry to hear this. I am in the same situation and working to try to find a solution before our house is sold on June 1. We were able to get the sale delayed last fall, but our situation took a turn for the worse and now we are back again. We have the same worries about finding a place to live, etc that you have so know that you are not alone.
post #17 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasmamma View Post
The sheriff in our county is advising people to take advantage of squatter's rights. I think he said that last year there were around 4000 foreclosures but only 81 evictions. It's something to look into anyhow. I am sorry that your lender wouldn't work with you more.
I'd be careful of this as the mortgage company can sue you for back rent in some states.
post #18 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasmamma View Post
The sheriff in our county is advising people to take advantage of squatter's rights. I think he said that last year there were around 4000 foreclosures but only 81 evictions. It's something to look into anyhow. I am sorry that your lender wouldn't work with you more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I'd be careful of this as the mortgage company can sue you for back rent in some states.
Yeah, we don't need more trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post
I'm sorry to hear this. I am in the same situation and working to try to find a solution before our house is sold on June 1. We were able to get the sale delayed last fall, but our situation took a turn for the worse and now we are back again. We have the same worries about finding a place to live, etc that you have so know that you are not alone.
So sorry you are in the same spot too.
post #19 of 91
I hear widely varying accounts of what actually happens when you start missing payments - including some of people who have packed up, left, and then found out a year later that the place was still "theirs" bc the bank had not proceeded with the foreclosure and they were still responsible for taxes etc.!

I would try to talk (calmly and cheerfully) with a mortgage company rep about what the plan is for your house, what notifications you can expect to get in the mail, etc. etc. Try to get a sense of what they plan to do (which may very well be jack squat for the foreseeable future). If they don't proceed with the foreclosure, then I don't think that staying in the house runs a huge risk of incurring back rent. If you ARE officially foreclosed upon, then obviously it gets riskier to sit around waiting to be evicted, but at least you've had that time to try and save up some $$$ to live elsewhere.
post #20 of 91
oh yes I definitely mean in "squatting" AFTER the house has been sold.

stay in the house until the auction! Some banks (through a real estate company usually) will also offer you cash to get out by a certain date after the auction ,so they don't have to go through the eviction process but that varies widely of course.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › In foreclosure, just a vent