Parenting supplies mentioned in this thread:
A Motherhood Affirmation
Last edited: 11/8/12
- A Guest Post from Cori Howard of The Momoir ProjectLast edited: 3/10/13
- A Guest Post from Cori Howard of The Momoir Project
Mother's Day traditions?
This year..hehe.. I'm going to head out to an adult-only store and buy a lil something for myself (don't want to write anything specific for fear of a naughty banned title )..
And I'll probably stop off for a beer on the way home
Oh, my 8 yr old is planning to make breakfast-in-bed for me too.. Which is always very, err, unique
(My mom is hiking for 3 weeks and my mil is going to the beach with her husband. We don't really do -extended- family things on mother's/father's day..)
My husband will make a lame breakfast that will be brought to me bed. My son will pick flowers and bring me a homemade card and a piece of jewelry. He does the most amazing bead work! People have offered to pay for one of his bracelets.
My son and I will go to church, husband will do yard work/mow the lawn. Mid afternoon 2 of our friends and their families will come over for a BBQ. My husband will be grill master. I will have pre made the sides the day before, cleaned the outdoor furniture, set the tables, etc so everything is ready and go and (hopefully) the moms can sit and chat with a glass of wine.
We tried the amateur day brunch/dinner thing a while back and even the high end places have their b-teams working and set menus annoy me. Even our local Thai place is overrun. We decided staying home and having our own party meant less money for better food, stronger drinks and free range kids.
My mom, sisters, and I go on a historical homes tour every Mother's Day put on by our local historical society. We tour 4-5 historical homes and have home made lemonade and cookies at the last home. This will be our 14th year. I have always spent Mother's Day without kids. Before we started the home tours, dh would take the kids out for the day and I had the house to myself on Mother's Day. Then dh and I would have dinner with his mom. This year we won't because she died last year the day before Mother's Day (on May 8th).
Ok, that will teach me to read the entire thread before posting. I now see that I have already replied to this thread 2 years ago. And wrote a much better post that this one. So just ignore what I wrote this time.
We normally go to brunch at a little teahouse, but this year my mom and I are keeping it simple : ) We are going to our favorite diner for eggs, and the bookstore/craft store after to walk around...my DH will take the kids fishing with my Dad/brother, and we will all meet later at my moms and order in food or just BBQ. I'm ALWAYS eager to have "me time" on Mothers Day :) I hope to be able to sleep in too!
- › Fitted Kitchens Liverpool 15 minutes ago
- › CDC Seeking Comments - Surgical Site infections. Deadline 8 May 2014. 20 minutes ago
- › Our baby girl is here! 32 minutes ago
- › Barefoot Running 1 hour ago
- › Unassisted birth and legal concerns 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Am I crazy for not wanting to put my kid in the gifted program? 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Stupid vent. Shower planning. I shouldn't care... 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Is Fels Naptha natural? 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › St.John's Trash to treasure Swap 2014 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool