A Motherhood Affirmation
Last edited: 11/8/12
- A Guest Post from Cori Howard of The Momoir ProjectLast edited: 3/10/13
- A Guest Post from Cori Howard of The Momoir Project
Mother's Day traditions?
This year..hehe.. I'm going to head out to an adult-only store and buy a lil something for myself (don't want to write anything specific for fear of a naughty banned title )..
And I'll probably stop off for a beer on the way home
Oh, my 8 yr old is planning to make breakfast-in-bed for me too.. Which is always very, err, unique
(My mom is hiking for 3 weeks and my mil is going to the beach with her husband. We don't really do -extended- family things on mother's/father's day..)
My husband will make a lame breakfast that will be brought to me bed. My son will pick flowers and bring me a homemade card and a piece of jewelry. He does the most amazing bead work! People have offered to pay for one of his bracelets.
My son and I will go to church, husband will do yard work/mow the lawn. Mid afternoon 2 of our friends and their families will come over for a BBQ. My husband will be grill master. I will have pre made the sides the day before, cleaned the outdoor furniture, set the tables, etc so everything is ready and go and (hopefully) the moms can sit and chat with a glass of wine.
We tried the amateur day brunch/dinner thing a while back and even the high end places have their b-teams working and set menus annoy me. Even our local Thai place is overrun. We decided staying home and having our own party meant less money for better food, stronger drinks and free range kids.
My mom, sisters, and I go on a historical homes tour every Mother's Day put on by our local historical society. We tour 4-5 historical homes and have home made lemonade and cookies at the last home. This will be our 14th year. I have always spent Mother's Day without kids. Before we started the home tours, dh would take the kids out for the day and I had the house to myself on Mother's Day. Then dh and I would have dinner with his mom. This year we won't because she died last year the day before Mother's Day (on May 8th).
Ok, that will teach me to read the entire thread before posting. I now see that I have already replied to this thread 2 years ago. And wrote a much better post that this one. So just ignore what I wrote this time.
We normally go to brunch at a little teahouse, but this year my mom and I are keeping it simple : ) We are going to our favorite diner for eggs, and the bookstore/craft store after to walk around...my DH will take the kids fishing with my Dad/brother, and we will all meet later at my moms and order in food or just BBQ. I'm ALWAYS eager to have "me time" on Mothers Day :) I hope to be able to sleep in too!
- › Needing advice for the future 39 minutes ago
- › I have a question....(long) 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Stocking stuffers 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- The Beaver Moon 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Fabulous Forty Somethings TTC! 2 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Legal Advice Needed Fighting 50/50 Child Custody (Pennsylvania) 2 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Keeping baby #2 safe in a house with a curious toddler 2 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread 2 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 2 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › MIL Cut Little Man's Hair! 3 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Polar Express by Alyssa Eisner
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo