Parenting supplies mentioned in this thread:
A Motherhood Affirmation
Last edited: 11/8/12
- A Guest Post from Cori Howard of The Momoir ProjectLast edited: 3/10/13
- A Guest Post from Cori Howard of The Momoir Project
Mother's Day traditions?
This year..hehe.. I'm going to head out to an adult-only store and buy a lil something for myself (don't want to write anything specific for fear of a naughty banned title )..
And I'll probably stop off for a beer on the way home
Oh, my 8 yr old is planning to make breakfast-in-bed for me too.. Which is always very, err, unique
(My mom is hiking for 3 weeks and my mil is going to the beach with her husband. We don't really do -extended- family things on mother's/father's day..)
My husband will make a lame breakfast that will be brought to me bed. My son will pick flowers and bring me a homemade card and a piece of jewelry. He does the most amazing bead work! People have offered to pay for one of his bracelets.
My son and I will go to church, husband will do yard work/mow the lawn. Mid afternoon 2 of our friends and their families will come over for a BBQ. My husband will be grill master. I will have pre made the sides the day before, cleaned the outdoor furniture, set the tables, etc so everything is ready and go and (hopefully) the moms can sit and chat with a glass of wine.
We tried the amateur day brunch/dinner thing a while back and even the high end places have their b-teams working and set menus annoy me. Even our local Thai place is overrun. We decided staying home and having our own party meant less money for better food, stronger drinks and free range kids.
My mom, sisters, and I go on a historical homes tour every Mother's Day put on by our local historical society. We tour 4-5 historical homes and have home made lemonade and cookies at the last home. This will be our 14th year. I have always spent Mother's Day without kids. Before we started the home tours, dh would take the kids out for the day and I had the house to myself on Mother's Day. Then dh and I would have dinner with his mom. This year we won't because she died last year the day before Mother's Day (on May 8th).
Ok, that will teach me to read the entire thread before posting. I now see that I have already replied to this thread 2 years ago. And wrote a much better post that this one. So just ignore what I wrote this time.
We normally go to brunch at a little teahouse, but this year my mom and I are keeping it simple : ) We are going to our favorite diner for eggs, and the bookstore/craft store after to walk around...my DH will take the kids fishing with my Dad/brother, and we will all meet later at my moms and order in food or just BBQ. I'm ALWAYS eager to have "me time" on Mothers Day :) I hope to be able to sleep in too!
- › Bajingo Mamas and Babies - Having babies in our 30s - '11, '12,... 3 minutes ago
- › Georgiana's Birth: a planned unassisted homebirth 7 minutes ago
- › Just need a little GD support! 10 minutes ago
- › Homebirthing roll call. 12 minutes ago
- › Ailyn Dharma 13 minutes ago
- › Freezer Meals for Postpartum 14 minutes ago
- › March Chat! 17 minutes ago
- › Getting started after Unschooling. 19 minutes ago
- › Any other Pregnancy After Loss Mamas? 25 minutes ago
- › Changing my discipline techniques... where do I learn about GD/CP? 25 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild