or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Activism and News › Where won't you shop/do business and why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where won't you shop/do business and why? - Page 8

post #141 of 211

Won't buy Kraft Foods products

Too many recalls won't buy their products any longer. Too expensive too.
post #142 of 211
Not buying products with a bunch of unnecessary added toxic crap: not cleaning products, not food, not even diapers. This has dramatically increased my food budget. But we eat healthier, feel heatlhier - and I have lost a little bit of weight It helps my family and my earth - and hopefully the future generation. My soapbox: we need to stop polluting our world. We're messing it up. And killing ourselves.

Also, doing my best not to buy gmos. I don't think it is a good idea to be messing around with mother nature AND giving it to an unsuspecting world population without any real testing. That is one of those things that it will suck to look back on and see oops that was a bad idea. Prove something is safe before you sell it. I am not going to use my life to prove it unsafe.
post #143 of 211
I'm tending to focus on boycotting organizations and businesses that support political causes and issues I oppose.
post #144 of 211
Boycotting for me has taken a bit of a different turn, but I have done it this way. I graduated as a chemical engineer and had employment opportunities at many big oil companies, pharmaceutical companies, environmental firms (where I thought I'd go), and government environmental agencies (EPA).

1. I refused jobs at the big oil companies because I didn't want to be part of the organization that was supporting the governments who subjugate millions of human beings.
2. I couldn't work in big pharma because I couldn't work for companies who were deliberately poisoning billions of children.
3. I really thought I'd work at an environmental firm, but it turned out they were mostly into figuring out ways to get around adhering to protection regulations. There's a regulation against putting sulfur gas into the air, so lets react it into a solid and put it in the ground water. Conscience couldn't deal with that either.
4. EPA, well really thought I'd do well here, but it turns out they are mostly just trying to appease particular groups who fund the political parties who vote the EPA more funds. This was very disappointing and I could have handled it, except that they were making a lot of regulations that were meaningless and some that were even harmful.

Choosing to work for companies that we support the practices of is important in making sure we are helping to create the world we want to live in.
post #145 of 211
no walmart, ever, for so many many reasons.
victoria's secret uses prison labor (even if i could afford it!)
starbucks is notorious for union busting, plus it just feels.so.wrong. they're like the exploiters of coffee pornography.
i try really hard not to buy new clothing. none of it from major stores is ever "clean" and not from sweatshops in some way or another.
we try to buy local produce, etc, and we are very diy for everything else (beer, meat, entertainment) and there was a looong period of time where we were dumpstering fools but what are you gonna do?
it IS really hard, especially when you're trying to buy ethical natural products and the big corporations keep buying out the small ones, it's nearly impossible to keep track.
this is pretty awesome
as is this article.
If you're interested in the prison labor issue and how that ties into the clothing & products we buy, this is an excellent resource.
<3 <3
post #146 of 211
I guess we don't boycott but choose to support more locally owned business. We are very lucky in the area that we live in that we can find most everything sold or produced locally. Now with that being said I do occasionally go to the big box store but that is after I have tried the little guy first. I really don't like shopping at the bigger chain stores because I feel like they have lost the customer service. We shop at a local, family run grocery store because they have better produce and meats and they seem to care. That is the biggest thing that is important to us.
post #147 of 211
I won't shop at Bath and Body Works because they fired a store manager based on the fact that she practices Wicca. This case is still in litigation and I MIGHT start shopping there again if the settlement includes an apology to the employee and some sort of sensitivity training for District Managers.
post #148 of 211
I really don't have any grandiose reasons for boycotting certain businesses. I do understand that if I have a negative experience at a business, it's usually caused by a particular employee, so I still try to give the business itself the benefit of the doubt in most cases.

However, I refuse to buy things at businesses that do not accept credit cards. There's a local (popular) burger joint here called Arctic Roadrunner that takes cash only. I swear they're probably the only business in town that accepts cash only. I never carry cash with me and credit cards have become so mainstream and convenient, I refuse to inconvenience myself by running to the bank to get cash for lunch just because they want to save a buck or two on credit card usage fees.

I could understand if the business is in a remote village somewhere, but that place is smack dab in the middle of a city of 280,000 people. Even little rinky-dink mom and pop shops or tiny booth stores take credit cards. I think the Arctic Roadrunner owner is on some kind of cash hoarding trip. I'm happy to never eat there. Unless of course he starts taking credit cards, then I'll reconsider.
post #149 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTorf View Post
I won't shop at one of the locally owned, small business natural food stores in my town BECAUSE:

having never used formula, and because i knew it would be short term, i felt like i needed to look into organic options. the MANager at one of the stores said to me, "have you ever even CONSIDERED breastfeeding?"
Wandering through this thread. Reminds me of why I won't shop at our locally-owned, small business natural food store here. I was looking for a place to buy dd some less-toxic nail polish when she was 3 1/2 or so, since she was really wanting to paint her nails. I asked the owner if she carried any. She gave me a giant lecture on how I was leading my child into the evil world of perverted body image. I went to Whole Foods instead and have only gone in there once or twice in desperation after that, and only when said owner isn't there. Grrrr.

We try to buy our food from local farmers, buy used clothes, fair trade chocolate and coffee, and I don't buy imported flowers. Also in the world of "buying," we get any pets from pet rescues, although we would consider going through a respected breeder for a dog.
post #150 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I refuse to buy things at businesses that do not accept credit cards.
I've been boycotting credit card companies since 2001.
post #151 of 211
Quote:
However, I refuse to buy things at businesses that do not accept credit cards. There's a local (popular) burger joint here called Arctic Roadrunner that takes cash only. I swear they're probably the only business in town that accepts cash only. I never carry cash with me and credit cards have become so mainstream and convenient, I refuse to inconvenience myself by running to the bank to get cash for lunch just because they want to save a buck or two on credit card usage fees.

It really depends on the place. We have a burger place here that charges only a dollar and some change for their burgers. The usage fees would put that restaurant out of business so they only take cash.
post #152 of 211
Let's remember that this thread isn't for debating why you will or won't shop somewhere.
post #153 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
This may be regional or vary by store. My MIL has worked for them for at least 10 years and is now at a management level. She is paid well, gets full bennies, and overall is satisfied with the deal she has going there. Certainly there are frustrations, and I know it bothers her when she can't get the week off that she wants, but that's normal most places. Does that mean they don't have poor practices overall? Of course not. Just saying that I don't think it's necessarily one size fits all for every store.
My husband works at wm and I can tell u this your mil is one of the lucky members of salaried mgmt. Most emploies are not. Did you know that walmart dose not hire full time emploies so they don't have to offer ther beni package for at least 1yr in hopes that they won't make it that long. They also make it so it is not worth it for emploies to purch for my husband to get insurance at this time it would cost almost 80 biweekly. That may not seem like much but when you are trying to support a family on a whopping 7.65 an hour and aren't even eligeable for your UP TO .25 raise. Walmart furthermore makes it almost impossible to work 2 jobs as they do not scedual arround another job and the hours are allways a supprise. For example my dh was sced 330 to 11 tues than 9am to 3pm the verry next day they only have to give 8hrs off between shifts. Walmart also offers bonuses based on everything from sales to how many bags the store uses, not to mention every time your "discount" card is swiped 1 persent goes into the emmploiee fund. Because they make all the other small buisnes in the area go under emploies shop there and they get all there money back.
Also since my dh has started working there there unfair emploiment practices are at the front of my mind at all times! Did you know there is NO excussed abcences! Dh had the swine flu and almost got fired because they SENT him home 3 times! And the latest because of said abcences despite telling dh he would be trained for a csm posution they will not because he is no longer elligable because he can bot get a pay raise for 1yr after his coachingl like a writeup for being sick.emploiees become friends and talk about walmarts bs they are now severly cutting fulltime non saliried hrs in hopes they get fed up and quit. A friend of ours who is full time has worked 4 days in two weeks! I have so much more to say but I have to go bring dh lunch to the horrible walmart! Ps check out hellmart.com its hillarious and so so true. There is more I have to say on the walmart subject I will try to better orginixe my thoughts. Sorry ao ranty
Candi
post #154 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckumelos View Post
Boycotting for me has taken a bit of a different turn, but I have done it this way. I graduated as a chemical engineer and had employment opportunities at many big oil companies, pharmaceutical companies, environmental firms (where I thought I'd go), and government environmental agencies (EPA).

1. I refused jobs at the big oil companies because I didn't want to be part of the organization that was supporting the governments who subjugate millions of human beings.
2. I couldn't work in big pharma because I couldn't work for companies who were deliberately poisoning billions of children.
3. I really thought I'd work at an environmental firm, but it turned out they were mostly into figuring out ways to get around adhering to protection regulations. There's a regulation against putting sulfur gas into the air, so lets react it into a solid and put it in the ground water. Conscience couldn't deal with that either.
4. EPA, well really thought I'd do well here, but it turns out they are mostly just trying to appease particular groups who fund the political parties who vote the EPA more funds. This was very disappointing and I could have handled it, except that they were making a lot of regulations that were meaningless and some that were even harmful.

Choosing to work for companies that we support the practices of is important in making sure we are helping to create the world we want to live in.
Just wanted to comment I loved this post! (*Gosh I hope you found a job!)
post #155 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaflutter View Post
My husband works at wm and I can tell u this your mil is one of the lucky members of salaried mgmt. Most emploies are not. Did you know that walmart dose not hire full time emploies so they don't have to offer ther beni package for at least 1yr in hopes that they won't make it that long. They also make it so it is not worth it for emploies to purch for my husband to get insurance at this time it would cost almost 80 biweekly. That may not seem like much but when you are trying to support a family on a whopping 7.65 an hour and aren't even eligeable for your UP TO .25 raise. Walmart furthermore makes it almost impossible to work 2 jobs as they do not scedual arround another job and the hours are allways a supprise. For example my dh was sced 330 to 11 tues than 9am to 3pm the verry next day they only have to give 8hrs off between shifts. Walmart also offers bonuses based on everything from sales to how many bags the store uses, not to mention every time your "discount" card is swiped 1 persent goes into the emmploiee fund. Because they make all the other small buisnes in the area go under emploies shop there and they get all there money back.
Also since my dh has started working there there unfair emploiment practices are at the front of my mind at all times! Did you know there is NO excussed abcences! Dh had the swine flu and almost got fired because they SENT him home 3 times! And the latest because of said abcences despite telling dh he would be trained for a csm posution they will not because he is no longer elligable because he can bot get a pay raise for 1yr after his coachingl like a writeup for being sick.emploiees become friends and talk about walmarts bs they are now severly cutting fulltime non saliried hrs in hopes they get fed up and quit. A friend of ours who is full time has worked 4 days in two weeks! I have so much more to say but I have to go bring dh lunch to the horrible walmart! Ps check out hellmart.com its hillarious and so so true. There is more I have to say on the walmart subject I will try to better orginixe my thoughts. Sorry ao ranty
Candi
My mom loved working the pharmacy department at walmart. She came in at the crack of dawn, leave later in the AM to drive us to school, go back to work and get off in time to pick us up. They never gave her a problem. Although, as a former field worker I guess anything is better than picking cotton in 117 degree weather.
post #156 of 211
I used to have a whole off limits list, but then I started couponing...

Now I get free stuff from wherever, live frugally, save my $ & spend it locally & at small businesses I believe in...

I find it soooo much more affirming to think of where I want to throw my money than where I won't... law of attraction and all.



The real goal for me is doing what I do now but on a wildly larger scale... I'd love to be seriously wealthy in this lifetime & grow small businesses I believe in & give artists & revolutionaries I adore my excess. It'll come, just ya'll wait...

I come from peasant immigrant folk... this being said, my heart goes out to all workers of the world. I take my abundance & privilege quite seriously.
post #157 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RheaSilva View Post
I won't shop at Bath and Body Works because they fired a store manager based on the fact that she practices Wicca. This case is still in litigation and I MIGHT start shopping there again if the settlement includes an apology to the employee and some sort of sensitivity training for District Managers.
I refuse to shop there because they test their products on animals. Now that I know they desciminated against a fellow Wiccan sister, I'm definitely not shopping there.
post #158 of 211
Subbing!
post #159 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I really don't have any grandiose reasons for boycotting certain businesses. I do understand that if I have a negative experience at a business, it's usually caused by a particular employee, so I still try to give the business itself the benefit of the doubt in most cases.

However, I refuse to buy things at businesses that do not accept credit cards. There's a local (popular) burger joint here called Arctic Roadrunner that takes cash only. I swear they're probably the only business in town that accepts cash only. I never carry cash with me and credit cards have become so mainstream and convenient, I refuse to inconvenience myself by running to the bank to get cash for lunch just because they want to save a buck or two on credit card usage fees.

I could understand if the business is in a remote village somewhere, but that place is smack dab in the middle of a city of 280,000 people. Even little rinky-dink mom and pop shops or tiny booth stores take credit cards. I think the Arctic Roadrunner owner is on some kind of cash hoarding trip. I'm happy to never eat there. Unless of course he starts taking credit cards, then I'll reconsider.
Hey! I love Arctic Roadrunner! (but then I rarely use my credit card so there you go)..

I actually feel like I am eating a real burger! But yeah, no credit cards is weird.. still I kind of like the independent places..

I don't shop at Walmart or Starbucks.. I haven't shopped at Borders books in years, and Barnes and Noble only on very rare occasion..

I like supporting locally owned independent businesses.. I think a lot of this big giants crush out everyone else.. and that limits choice/freedom.

OOH! I've got one! Bank of America! I have excellent credit, and very low debt and they raised my interest rate past the legal State limit last year.. for no reason.. (when I called and asked they said because of the national economic situation.. )

I expect to be treated fairly when I make an agreed upon payment plan- I didn't feel they stuck to it, so I went with a local company..
post #160 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Dawn View Post
Another librarian/bibliophile here! But I stopped buying from Amazon a couple of years ago because they carried dogfighting videos and cockfighting magazines. The Humane Society sued them two years ago over the issue and they recently settled. Amazon no longer carries the materials, but not by choice. Here's more info: http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...on_110909.html

Although to be honest even before this I didn't like Amazon because they aren't really passionate about books. I feel like they see books as just one more money-maker... they don't really value reading like a traditional bookstore.

Better World Books
is a great alternative to Amazon. They support libraries all over the world! I get great used books and new there, and they even break down for you how they compare to Amazon. Now, sometimes with the free shipping at Amazon it's cheaper, but often getting cheap used books in great condition makes BWB a better deal for my orders.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Activism and News
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Activism and News › Where won't you shop/do business and why?