or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › Is there a current pregnant WAPF mamas thread?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there a current pregnant WAPF mamas thread? - Page 10

post #181 of 329
Just wanted to pop in and say we are having a boy
post #182 of 329
So what, exactly, does the honey do to help you relax and sleep? Common sense would seem that the sugars would wake you up. Also, do you find that it makes you gain weight faster? I am assuming this is raw honey you're taking.
post #183 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say we are having a boy
We are, too!! And I'm still wrapping my head around it. I was just *sure* it was a girl.
post #184 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
So what, exactly, does the honey do to help you relax and sleep? Common sense would seem that the sugars would wake you up. Also, do you find that it makes you gain weight faster? I am assuming this is raw honey you're taking.
If I remember correctly, honey stimulates glucose production in the liver, which stimulates tryptophan production, which stimulates seratonin, which will convert to melatonin as long as it is completely dark (no nightlights, etc). Melatonin helps you sleep better.

Honey is an old remedy for sleeping, but I guess they've just recently nailed down the science of why.

And actually, some folks claim it stimulates the body to lose weight. Check out the hibernation diet thread for more info on all of these honey issues...
post #185 of 329
Congrats on the boys!!
post #186 of 329
hi, i'm scared to do RRl infusions would this bring on labour? i've been just having it as a tea a couple of times a day, but wondering if i should now be making an infusion of it instead, i'm now 39 weeks 1day due on 27th but i'm feeling so scared and not at all ready. dd was a natural birth with no complications but it was long and i was exhausted (although i've since found out that it wasn't that long in comparison to some others). but this time around i'm far more scared, and am finding it really difficult to focus and feel positive despite having 2 lovely midwives and home birth planned, i just keep thinking i wish i didn't have to go through labour and just thinking like this is making me think i'm not accepting it and won't be able to let go when it happens!.
post #187 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
hi, i'm scared to do RRl infusions would this bring on labour?
RRL is a tonic herb so I have a hard time seeing how it would "bring on labor" all on it's own. Per Susun Weed:

Quote:
Wise women have recommended herbal tonics for childbearing for thousands of years. These herbs are empirically safe and notably effective. Tonic herbs improve general health by balancing and sustaining energy flow and focus in the body.

Tonics allay annoyances and prevent major problems. They can boost the supply of vital minerals and vitamins, increase energy and improve uterine tone. Some uterine tonics are contraindicated during pregnancy or are restricted to the last few weeks of pregnancy.
-and -

Quote:
safest of all uterine and pregnancy tonic herbs. It contains fragrine, an alkaloid which gives tone to the muscles of the pelvic region, including the uterus itself.

Most of the benefits ascribed to regular use of Raspberry tea through pregnancy are traced to the nourishing source of vitamins and minerals found in this plant and to the strengthening power of fragrine - an alkaloid which gives tone to the muscles of the pelvic region, including the uterus itself. Of special note are the rich concentration of vitamin C, the presence of vitamin E and the easily assimilated calcium and iron. Raspberry leaves also contain vitamins A and B complex and many minerals, including phosphorous and potassium.

The benefits of drinking a raspberry leaf brew before and throughout pregnancy include:

:snip:
~ Preventing miscarriage and hemorrhage. Raspberry leaf tones the uterus and helps prevent miscarriage and postpartum hemorrhage from a relaxed or atonic uterus.

:snip:
~ Reducing pain during labor and after birth. By toning the muscles used during labor and delivery, Raspberry leaf eliminates many of the reasons for a painful delivery and prolonged recovery. It does not, however, counter the pain of pelvic dilation.

~ Assisting in the production of plentiful breast milk. The high mineral content of Raspberry leaf assist in milk production, but its astringency may counter that for some women.

~ Providing a safe and speedy pariuntion. Raspberry leaf works to encourage the uterus to let go and function without tension. It does not strengthen contractions, but does allow the contracting uterus to work more effectively and so may make the birth easier and faster.
All benefits I really appreciate!
post #188 of 329
pampered mom, thanks for posting that info, i guess i should make some infusions of it now then as i've been having the tea, but at infusion strength it will be more effective. i'm doing nettle infussion etc i keep making it and forgetting to drink it!!
post #189 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
pampered mom, thanks for posting that info, i guess i should make some infusions of it now then as i've been having the tea, but at infusion strength it will be more effective. i'm doing nettle infussion etc i keep making it and forgetting to drink it!!
I "forget" to drink my nettles infusion if it doesn't taste that good. I only let it sit 4 hour max, and if it goes any longer, it tastes terrible. I also add a pick of peppermont when infusing. If it is a 4 hour infuion, Iactually crave it. And if you have some left over in the fridge after a few days, I use it as a hair rinse in the shower. My hair never looked so good.
post #190 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I "forget" to drink my nettles infusion if it doesn't taste that good. I only let it sit 4 hour max, and if it goes any longer, it tastes terrible. I also add a pick of peppermont when infusing. If it is a 4 hour infuion, Iactually crave it. And if you have some left over in the fridge after a few days, I use it as a hair rinse in the shower. My hair never looked so good.
thanks for the tip bluebirdmama i do have some left over in the fridge thats a few days old, do you use it as rinse after shampooing or just rinse it through without shampoo?

did you do RRL infusions aswell? if so how long did you infuse for and how much of them did you drink per day?
post #191 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
thanks for the tip bluebirdmama i do have some left over in the fridge thats a few days old, do you use it as rinse after shampooing or just rinse it through without shampoo?

did you do RRL infusions aswell? if so how long did you infuse for and how much of them did you drink per day?
I use nettles after or in place of conditioner. Let me know how your hair is after using it.

I do not do rrl infusion right now. I may get back into it since I had my baby a few weeks ago. I did not do them at all during the pregnancy after spotting every time I had a cup. I did drink it during the labor though, and it went easy and quick compared to my first labor.
Even though I had issues, I do recommend it to others since my case is so rare. And you could always find out how it reacts to your body. I just spotted and had to stop and I had no m/c issues. Now if I spotted and drank more all day long that would be foolish on my part.
When I do make it (which was before this pregnany) I never use boiling water, I just use hot water. The taste is very different with boiling water and gross. I found I could infuse the rrl longer as long as I didn't start out with boiling water.
post #192 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
If I remember correctly, honey stimulates glucose production in the liver, which stimulates tryptophan production, which stimulates seratonin, which will convert to melatonin as long as it is completely dark (no nightlights, etc). Melatonin helps you sleep better.

Honey is an old remedy for sleeping, but I guess they've just recently nailed down the science of why.

And actually, some folks claim it stimulates the body to lose weight. Check out the hibernation diet thread for more info on all of these honey issues...
That is very interesting. Thank you! I think maybe I will start taking some before bed. How much do you need to take? Teaspoon, tablespoon?
post #193 of 329
I haven't read through the whole thread. I'm 13 wks, and feel SO tired I'm suspecting anemia. Any favorite recipes for liver? I'm trying to eat chicken liver, but having a hard time.
Also, any other advise?
post #194 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
I haven't read through the whole thread. I'm 13 wks, and feel SO tired I'm suspecting anemia. Any favorite recipes for liver? I'm trying to eat chicken liver, but having a hard time.
Also, any other advise?
Hi, I'm 10 weeks, and finding that the fatigue isn't nearly as bad when I get some iodine. I'm thinking it's a thyroid thing for me.

My new favorite way to do chicken liver is to purée it with an egg and fry like pancakes, then eat with a fresh salsa type sauce on top. I'm actually liking liver for the first time like that!
post #195 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post

My new favorite way to do chicken liver is to purée it with an egg and fry like pancakes, then eat with a fresh salsa type sauce on top. I'm actually liking liver for the first time like that!
Interesting! I need to try that. Could you approximate how many livers you use for this? Or is it just one? I always remember them smaller than they are...
post #196 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
Interesting! I need to try that. Could you approximate how many livers you use for this? Or is it just one? I always remember them smaller than they are...
I think last time it was about a half pound of livers to one egg, but next time I might try two. Or maybe just 1/4 lb liver and one egg, that was a LOT for one person to eat...
post #197 of 329

More Birth Stories?? TD vs SAD

Hi Ladies,

I am 24 yrs old newly married, preparing to TTC in the next year. I am just now getting into WAPF and love all I am learning.

I wanted to know if any mom's out there have other stories to share about their experiences with pregnancy & labor while eating a traditional diet vs the standard american diet.

I would love to hear any tips you have for me!

I just got off BC a week ago for good and am taking Organic Royal Maca every morning to hopefully regulate my cycles (and what used to be terrible cramps!) I will let you know how it goes!

post #198 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter is Better View Post
Hi Ladies,

I am 24 yrs old newly married, preparing to TTC in the next year. I am just now getting into WAPF and love all I am learning.

I wanted to know if any mom's out there have other stories to share about their experiences with pregnancy & labor while eating a traditional diet vs the standard american diet.

I would love to hear any tips you have for me!

I just got off BC a week ago for good and am taking Organic Royal Maca every morning to hopefully regulate my cycles (and what used to be terrible cramps!) I will let you know how it goes!

Welcome!!!
post #199 of 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter is Better View Post
Hi Ladies,

I am 24 yrs old newly married, preparing to TTC in the next year. I am just now getting into WAPF and love all I am learning.

I wanted to know if any mom's out there have other stories to share about their experiences with pregnancy & labor while eating a traditional diet vs the standard american diet.

I would love to hear any tips you have for me!

I just got off BC a week ago for good and am taking Organic Royal Maca every morning to hopefully regulate my cycles (and what used to be terrible cramps!) I will let you know how it goes!

Welcome!
post #200 of 329
Not sure if this has been asked yet but I started drinking RRL a few days ago. Last night I made a bunch and iced it. It was yummy. Anywho, last night all night I had a ton of BH contrax. I normally DO get them, but not that much/frequent. Could the RRL be causing this (also probably because I drank more than one cup)? Does this normally happen when you start a RRL regimen?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Traditional Foods
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › Is there a current pregnant WAPF mamas thread?