or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › I have melanoma
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have melanoma - Page 2

post #21 of 49
I also had melanoma. ABout 17 years ago. I believe mine was also stage II. I had to have it removed and tissue below and around it. I actually did it all in the doctors office (plastic surgeon). It was painful and scary initially, but I healed quickly and (knock on wood) no re-occurrence of this. I have a great scar on my outer left leg because of the size of the birth mark and the spreading of the melanoma. I tell people I was in a knife fight, just for fun. I am so not the type to have that history in my past.

I was seeing a dermatologist regularly for several years to get yearly checks, but I have slacked off. Now after reading your post, I will call next week and get in there.

I hope you have no complications... just get in there and get the melanoma out! Good luck. I will be thinking of you. Keep us posted.
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Thank you! I'm researching now. The black seed oil - is that taken internally?
Yes, and the seeds sprinkled on salads.


Pat
post #23 of 49
Don't be scared. Here is my webpage on cancer. You can beat this. I watch it happen all the time.

Sagacious Mama - Cancer

I will upload the photos of skin cancers being cured topically. I also have pictures of my own moles being removed just with the same herbs. Even if it hasn't spread, you will still need internal work as your microflora will be completely messed up. All natural treatments or medical treatments all have one thing in common, and if you read my page, it will tell you what that is.

Chin up. This is NOTHING. Fight the good fight.
post #24 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
Don't be scared. Here is my webpage on cancer. You can beat this. I watch it happen all the time.

Sagacious Mama - Cancer

I will upload the photos of skin cancers being cured topically. I also have pictures of my own moles being removed just with the same herbs. Even if it hasn't spread, you will still need internal work as your microflora will be completely messed up. All natural treatments or medical treatments all have one thing in common, and if you read my page, it will tell you what that is.

Chin up. This is NOTHING. Fight the good fight.
Thank you!

I've been reading through your site and the information on alkaline vs acidic diets is so intersting!

I was looking at the chart and I'm trying to understand. It says that
Quote:
alkaline forming foods include: most fruits, green vegetables, peas, beans, lentils, spices, herbs and seasonings, and seeds and nuts.
But then beans and lentils are listed under the "acidic foods" chart.

I think I need to do some more research but this is very interesting. Thank you
post #25 of 49
My pleasure. I really need to finish the most important part, the treatment, which is kind of a mess right now. But there is enough info in the article itself that anyone can work the treatment out for themselves.

Thank you for pointing out the chart. Beans etc aren't usually alkaline forming. I will take another look. It is one of the few links I hurriedly googled, thinking most of those charts are the same. Sounds like I could find a better one.

My friend, 29, has lung cancer and she is having great success with the acid/alk food alone. She is also on chemo unfortunately, so it is a race against the clock in my opinion. However another person using my page with leukemia has updated me that they are not doing meds, just acid/alk and having great success. I have a new link actually, which I want to put on my page due to the amount of leukemia that is drawn to me. I will put it here, even though it isn't "relevant" (it really is though) and you can see the discoveries they are making on this "strange" link between antifungal meds and remissions (although also note they don't know what the heck is curing it ): http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAb...102246872.html
post #26 of 49
DH had a stage II spot removed a couple years ago. I had been begging him for about a year to get it checked. Our Family Doc said it was nothing (DH said). Well he finally went in; they biopsied and it came back stage II. It had not spread to anything else and DH just needs to be checked biannually now. He does have freckly skin...

Hugs mamma, I am sure you are scared!
post #27 of 49
Another positive story: I have a friend who had a melanoma removed from her abdominal area about 12 years ago (she was about 23 at the time). They first removed the mole, tested it, found it to be melanoma, then removed a section of her abdominal flesh (or whatever it's called). She has a scar but nothing else now. It didn't spread and she's fine.

I am high risk for melanoma. Lots (hundreds) of moles, and lots of time spent in the sun when I was younger (unfortunately). I go every 6 months for a full-body mole scan.

I will be thinking of you! Please keep us updated if you can.
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
I am high risk for melanoma. Lots (hundreds) of moles, and lots of time spent in the sun when I was younger (unfortunately). I go every 6 months for a full-body mole scan.
I thought melanomas were "hereditary", not "caused" by the sun?
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I thought melanomas were "hereditary", not "caused" by the sun?
I thought melenomas were caused by the sun. I have never heard it's hereditary. Melanin is hereditary, is that what you meant?
post #30 of 49
I want to thank you for posting this thread. This thread made me to make an appointment with my Dr. (I suppose to see him every year and as many of us I was postponing my exam). This treat is a reminder to all of us to get checked. Early detection can save lifes. Thank you again. And good luck to you one more time. Please post your updates.
post #31 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I thought melanomas were "hereditary", not "caused" by the sun?
I don't have any one anywhere in either side of my family as far back as both my parents can remember who has had melanoma.

The only cancer we've ever had in our family has been smoking related except for one aunt with breast cancer.

My understanding is that the sun is a significant contributing factor but, not the sole cause.
post #32 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thAttempt View Post
I want to thank you for posting this thread. This thread made me to make an appointment with my Dr. (I suppose to see him every year and as many of us I was postponing my exam). This treat is a reminder to all of us to get checked. Early detection can save lifes. Thank you again. And good luck to you one more time. Please post your updates.
Thank you. That's why I posted. I hope everyone goes and gets checked. And remember to report anything that is new or has changed, not matter how minor you think it is.

I have the Derm and surgeon today so I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for the support and information!
post #33 of 49
Another "thank you" from me. I made an appointment immediately after reading this.

Although, because I have OCD that mostly centers around health issues, I've spent the weekend in a panic over the multiple pink spots I have on my body (they've been there, seemingly unchanged, for many, many years though).

(((((HUGS))))) and prayers headed your way today.
post #34 of 49
Skin cancer is the same as cancer anywhere in the body. They all have the same cause. Whatever damages the tissue and is THEN infected with fungus can become cancer. Hence why many melanomas are from skin damage on a mole (moles are microorganisms and viruses living in a clump) caused by the sun.

An interesting fact is that Africans (living in Africa) are in the sun much of the time and yet suffer almost no skin cancer. African Americans, however, have some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the country. Same skin, same sun, different lifestyle.

It isn't the sun alone, it is the same for any cancer - a combination of factors that allow infection of damaged tissue so the tissue cannot heal (due to the cells being infected, they do not "bond" to surrounding tissue).

These rejected infected cells accumulate causing a lump - a tumor.

Unless that current of injury is turned off, the body will produce new cells in an attempt to heal and this rejection of cells will continue - a benign tumor.

If the fungus or an infected cell breaks away and latches elsewhere, that is called malignancy - cancer.

Damaged tissue + infection with fungus = cancer.

Unless you treat your fungal infection and the body conditions that allowed the process to begin with, it may recur somewhere else.

The sun is a healthy, life giving thing. We need not fear the sun. This is a fallacy. There is only one cause of cancer, and one cure. No matter where you find the cancer in the body. See my link in pp for the evidence based information.
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post

An interesting fact is that Africans (living in Africa) are in the sun much of the time and yet suffer almost no skin cancer. African Americans, however, have some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the country. Same skin, same sun, different lifestyle.

Okay. This is just plain wrong.

Australia has the highest rate of skin cancers in the world, and next is S. Africa with the rest of Africa not immune (skin cancer is rising there as well). Kiwis (New Zealand) may be outpacing the Aussies. What I'm saying is *where* you live (your UVA exposure matters most). Dark skinned people are not at all immune to skin cancers. 90% of skin cancers are caused by the sun. Light skinned people have higher rates, and where you you live in the world matters most, no matter.
post #36 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Okay. This is just plain wrong.

Australia has the highest rate of skin cancers in the world, and next is S. Africa with the rest of Africa not far behind. Kiwis (New Zealand) may be outpacing the Aussies. What I'm saying is *where* you live matters most.
I agree. Everything I've read in my research says that African Americans in the United States have much lower rates of melanoma than other races.
post #37 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quick update:

Met with the Derm today. I think I need a new derm. I asked about mapping and I got 5 digital full body pictures taken - no close ups of anything, no notes taken about existing moles etc... I went in today for a more indepth body check and this one didn't take any longer than every other one I've have. I need a new dr.

Met with the surgeon. I liked him very much. He was very positive. He says he can't confirm the stage II diagnosis until he does the wide excision and is able to measure the remining cancer to see how deep and how wide it actually is. But, he feels confident it will be well within the margins for stage II.

I have my surgery on friday. I am having my lymph nodes tested at the same time. It adds time and pain to the procedure and he's pretty sure it's not necessary but, he's doing it for my peace of mind and I appreciate it.

I have to be put out for the surgery and I'm completely freaked out. I am not happy at all. But, he says he has to go deep and wide at the site and the lymph node biopsy can be pretty painful and he doesn't feel he can give me enough medicine to keep me pain free and since there are important nerves to consider, he doesn't want even a chance that I could flinch from pain so, I'm being put out.

My daughter's kindergarten graduation is on Friday at 4:30. I'm praying beyond all hope I'll be able to make it. I will be devastated if I can't be there.

Thank you again for all the kind words, support and prayers. You are some great women!
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
I agree. Everything I've read in my research says that African Americans in the United States have much lower rates of melanoma than other races.
Yes. Fair skinned people are more at risk. (But we all know it's a myth that dark skinned people are not at risk). Where you live is the most deciding factor. A person in Australia or New Zealand is more likely to get skin cancer than pretty much anyone else on earth. That's because of how the sun rises and sets on a hurting planet.

ETA: I'm sorry, I meant to say I wish you well , and a speedy recovery! I have a close friend who had second stage they found in a mole;it was removed, and many years later, he's absolutely well, with never another issue!
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Quick update:

Met with the Derm today. I think I need a new derm. I asked about mapping and I got 5 digital full body pictures taken - no close ups of anything, no notes taken about existing moles etc... I went in today for a more indepth body check and this one didn't take any longer than every other one I've have. I need a new dr.

Met with the surgeon. I liked him very much. He was very positive. He says he can't confirm the stage II diagnosis until he does the wide excision and is able to measure the remining cancer to see how deep and how wide it actually is. But, he feels confident it will be well within the margins for stage II.

I have my surgery on friday. I am having my lymph nodes tested at the same time. It adds time and pain to the procedure and he's pretty sure it's not necessary but, he's doing it for my peace of mind and I appreciate it.

I have to be put out for the surgery and I'm completely freaked out. I am not happy at all. But, he says he has to go deep and wide at the site and the lymph node biopsy can be pretty painful and he doesn't feel he can give me enough medicine to keep me pain free and since there are important nerves to consider, he doesn't want even a chance that I could flinch from pain so, I'm being put out.

My daughter's kindergarten graduation is on Friday at 4:30. I'm praying beyond all hope I'll be able to make it. I will be devastated if I can't be there.

Thank you again for all the kind words, support and prayers. You are some great women!
I am so happy to hear that your surgeon is on the ball! Best of luck to you on Friday. I will be thinking of you. I'm sure it will be a success and this will be a chapter you can put behind you and draw on to give others strength and peace of mind down the road.
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
I agree. Everything I've read in my research says that African Americans in the United States have much lower rates of melanoma than other races.
They do have lower rates but when they DO get melanomas it is generally more serious

I think that is where the confusion is.

http://www.skincancerinfoline.com/sk...americans.html



I hope everything goes well amcal.

:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › I have melanoma