or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Utah, Arizona › AZ On-Line Teaching Credential??? Any reccomendations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AZ On-Line Teaching Credential??? Any reccomendations?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I am looking for an on-line school to earn my teachers credential for AZ.

Any suggestions? Looking for something fast and cheap!

I have a BA already and am hoping to earn the credential with little if any time in a physical classroom (ie:100% On-Line would be GREAT!).

Thanks!
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian's Momma View Post
Hello,

I am looking for an on-line school to earn my teachers credential for AZ.

Any suggestions? Looking for something fast and cheap!

I have a BA already and am hoping to earn the credential with little if any time in a physical classroom (ie:100% On-Line would be GREAT!).

Thanks!
Check out University of Phoenix (uop) they have what you are looking for ..

Also check out the Arizona Schools website they give you more info on what you need and where to get it ..
post #3 of 15
My husband is going to do it through Pima Community College. The school is in Tucson but I think the whole teacher certification program is online.
post #4 of 15
post #5 of 15
Were you able to find anything? What about the student teaching requirement?


There is ottawa university but its not cheap, however its only 6 classes plus student teaching
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfiresmbm View Post
Check out University of Phoenix (uop) they have what you are looking for ..Also check out the Arizona Schools website they give you more info on what you need and where to get it ..
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I've spoken with U. of Phx and they are definitely in the running.... now just trying to compare costs, etc.

The state website was helpful... thanks! Do you know if I have to go to a school that is listed on the state's website as "State Board Approved?" I am assuming the answer is yes, but the site did not specify.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post
My husband is going to do it through Pima Community College. The school is in Tucson but I think the whole teacher certification program is online.
Cool.... gonna check it out. Is he happy with the program?
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post
Not on the "Arizona State Board Certified" list.... does that matter??? Hmmmm?
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
Were you able to find anything? What about the student teaching requirement?


There is ottawa university but its not cheap, however its only 6 classes plus student teaching
Regarding student teaching... yes, I am prepared to do that. I was trying to avoid classroom time for the actual course study only.

Ottawa is listed on the AZ State Board Approved school list, BUT... only the following degrees are listed. The elementary teachers certification (or MA program) is NOT.... hmmmm..... still trying to figure out if I MUST go with a State Board approved school... ???

Ottawa's "approved" degrees are as follows only:

Bachelor’s Degree, Elementary
Bachelor’s Degree, Secondary
Bachelor of Arts, Early Childhood Education
Masters Degree, Counseling
Post Masters Degree (certification), Counseling
Post Masters Degree (certification), Supervision
Post Masters Degree (certification), Principal
post #10 of 15
I know ottawa is an approved school. My neighbor goes there for her post bac certificate. Its about 12.5k for the program. Its 6 classes for the 2nd-dary education certifcate and can be done in 2 terms so this fall then student teaching in the spring. I dont know how many classes are needed for elementary but it is more. Be prepared for several hours of 'classroom observation' where ever you go. This is a new state requierment I'm told from the neighbor. Her ottawa program had 3 hrs per class but when she looked at rio salado online they had upwards of 15 hrs of observation PER CLASS. In her opinion it was worth more tuition $$ not to have to take time off work to observe, take more classes, etc.

She really likes ottawa and while its a PITA its easy and says they are very accomodating.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
I know ottawa is an approved school. My neighbor goes there for her post bac certificate. Its about 12.5k for the program. Its 6 classes for the 2nd-dary education certifcate and can be done in 2 terms so this fall then student teaching in the spring. I dont know how many classes are needed for elementary but it is more. Be prepared for several hours of 'classroom observation' where ever you go. This is a new state requierment I'm told from the neighbor. Her ottawa program had 3 hrs per class but when she looked at rio salado online they had upwards of 15 hrs of observation PER CLASS. In her opinion it was worth more tuition $$ not to have to take time off work to observe, take more classes, etc.

She really likes ottawa and while its a PITA its easy and says they are very accomodating.
So helpful.... thanks!

I just wrote to the State Board and Ottawa for clarification on the discrepancy. I'll keep you posted. I gather it is just an error on the part of the AZ State website.

Yes, it seems that the Elementary Credential program is considerably longer (50 credit hours versus 30 for Secondary Credentials). Bummer.... but I know I am not suited for High School... too much drama for me!

So, still trying to narrow it down and am so thankful for your tips and advice!
I love MDC mammas! Always so helpful to be chatting here! Thanks!!!
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
I know ottawa is an approved school. My neighbor goes there for her post bac certificate. Its about 12.5k for the program. Its 6 classes for the 2nd-dary education certifcate and can be done in 2 terms so this fall then student teaching in the spring. I dont know how many classes are needed for elementary but it is more. Be prepared for several hours of 'classroom observation' where ever you go. This is a new state requierment I'm told from the neighbor. Her ottawa program had 3 hrs per class but when she looked at rio salado online they had upwards of 15 hrs of observation PER CLASS. In her opinion it was worth more tuition $$ not to have to take time off work to observe, take more classes, etc.

She really likes ottawa and while its a PITA its easy and says they are very accomodating.
Growing Sprout,

Do you know if your neighbor takes classes online? Or does she actually attend class on the campus?

Thanks!
post #13 of 15
She takes them on line or she waits for a condensed saturday class to roll around ( 4 full day staturdays 9-4) but most of the classes have been online. Make an appt and go in to talk to someone, im not sure how the elementarty edu classes work and im going based on info given to me for the highschool teacher program.
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
She takes them on line or she waits for a condensed saturday class to roll around ( 4 full day staturdays 9-4) but most of the classes have been online. Make an appt and go in to talk to someone, im not sure how the elementarty edu classes work and im going based on info given to me for the highschool teacher program.
Thanks Growingsprout!

Your info is helping me to narrow things down. You'd be surprised how much info in NOT clarified on their websites. So, I am making calls one by one... a bit time consuming, but necessary.

I will keep you all posted on my status in hopes it may help someone else in the same boat!

Thanks again MDC Mommas!!!
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hello all,

Just an update.... I have decided to attend Pima Community College. It is in Tuscon and I live in Queen Creek. However, the program can be done entirely online! Yeah!!!

I chose Pima primarily becasue it is cheap and it can be done online. The only downside is that they do not offer a Masters program. But, at this point it works well for me becasue I want to get credentialed as soon as possible.

There are 13 classes, 120 practicum hours (10-15 for most classes), and about 9 weeks of student teaching in the end.

The total cost of tuition should be around $3,726 (including all fees BUT NOT including books which could be anywhere from $50 - $150 per class... ouch).

The best part is that Federal Grants are typically awarded only for undergrad degrees, but the Teaching credential program is an exception, if you qualify. I do, so my entire program will be paid by the government and I can still take out Student Loans if I choose (to cover living expenses) at around 5-6% interest (depending on if they are subsidized or not) and I will start to pay them off 9 months after I graduate! Yahoo!

So, thanks to all for your help and suggestions! I start classes on August 17th and am so excited! Off I go on this new chapter in my life!

Thanks again! God Bless!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Utah, Arizona
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Utah, Arizona › AZ On-Line Teaching Credential??? Any reccomendations?