or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Vegetarian and Vegan › how do you eat nutritional yeast?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how do you eat nutritional yeast? - Page 2

post #21 of 32
I loooove nutritional yeast, I consider it a "must have" in the pantry. All of the above uses, plus when I make homemade seitan.
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahappymel View Post
Parmezano!

We sprinkle it on everything:

1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp italian seasoning

Mix in bowl, put in parmesan cheese shaker and put it on ANYTHING! Soups, casseroles, pizza, pasta, rice, veggies, etc etc....

Ohh.. I've never thought of combining it with other seasoning etc. (Not sure where I would get almond meal here though..)
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs joe bubby View Post
I loooove nutritional yeast, I consider it a "must have" in the pantry. All of the above uses, plus when I make homemade seitan.
Ohh.. Would you mind sharing your Seitan recipe, pretty please?? I've tried and failed 2x, always ending up with a spongy mess..
post #24 of 32
I know the soggy mess well. I tried a new recipe awhile back that turned out that way. Oh, the texture is so nasty... :Puke


Anyway here's a couple of my favorite recipes. The "pepperoni" is really popular around here. :

http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2009/0...seitan_31.html

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/04...pepperoni.html
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs joe bubby View Post
I know the soggy mess well. I tried a new recipe awhile back that turned out that way. Oh, the texture is so nasty... :Puke


Anyway here's a couple of my favorite recipes. The "pepperoni" is really popular around here. :

http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2009/0...seitan_31.html

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/04...pepperoni.html
Thank you so much for the 2 links! I'll give it another try with the first recipe tomorrow!

Yeah, the soggy mess didn't go well, especially with Hubby whom I'm trying to move over to become more and more a vegetarian and clearly a soggy 'sponge' as he called it didn't make him look forward to giving up meat and having this type of food instead!
post #26 of 32
i make breaded baked tofu. but i don't have a recipe i just make it up each time. it tastes sort of like fish sticks only it is yummy (i don't like how real fish sticks taste but i love breaded baked tofu)
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
Ohh.. I've never thought of combining it with other seasoning etc. (Not sure where I would get almond meal here though..)
You could just put raw almonds in the food processer and blend until they are "mealy"
post #28 of 32
I also think "Parmezano" would be good with just the nutrititional yeast (1 cup) and spices.
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
Thank you so much for the 2 links! I'll give it another try with the first recipe tomorrow!

Yeah, the soggy mess didn't go well, especially with Hubby whom I'm trying to move over to become more and more a vegetarian and clearly a soggy 'sponge' as he called it didn't make him look forward to giving up meat and having this type of food instead!
I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and have eaten every meat substitute I could find, just for fun, the weirder the better. Even I couldn't stomach the spongy seitan. The texture just reminded me of brains. : Good luck with the other recipe though!
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
i make breaded baked tofu. but i don't have a recipe i just make it up each time. it tastes sort of like fish sticks only it is yummy (i don't like how real fish sticks taste but i love breaded baked tofu)
Oh yeah that's a good one! I make southern-fried tofu with it too, the seasoning mix I make calls for about a cup and a half of nutritional yeast. I love making it for omnis, people who swore they would never try tofu will end up eating the whole batch.
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahappymel View Post
You could just put raw almonds in the food processer and blend until they are "mealy"
I hope my food processor would survive that one though?
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs joe bubby View Post
I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and have eaten every meat substitute I could find, just for fun, the weirder the better. Even I couldn't stomach the spongy seitan. The texture just reminded me of brains. : Good luck with the other recipe though!
*shudder* You're right about the texture/brains -even though I never ate any brains *blech*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vegetarian and Vegan
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Vegetarian and Vegan › how do you eat nutritional yeast?