or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › spinoff: riding in the shopping cart
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

spinoff: riding in the shopping cart - Page 4

post #61 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
I disagree with that. They are two different issues. My dd would get distracted when walking along the cart but had no problem sitting the whole time in the cart.
I guess we can agree to disagree. Perhaps it's the things I have seen happen and heard of happening that leads me to feel that way. A little bit like people who have a 15 year old dog that always rode just fine in the back of a pickup and then one day it jumped out an no one knows why. Things happen, that's all.

And, no, I am not saying children are dogs.
post #62 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
Sitting in the basket. Not wiggling, jiggling or trying to jump out. Sitting.
The problem is that (most) children are not static. You can normally expect groceries to remain as they're placed, unless you get bumped or something tips. Children far less so. The kiddo I caught was not behaving wildly or out of control. He just peered over the edge, not even standing up fully (he was kneeling) The balance of the cart's groceries plus him hit the magical angle, and out he went.

So I do think that children in the cart are inherently more dangerous than groceries because children have a mind of their own. Though I think an unbalanced cart falling on someone can be very dangerous too. And having had skin taken off my heels and calves because of rampaging Costco cart ladies not paying attention to where they're going, totally childless carts driven by inattentive people can be harmful as well.
post #63 of 108
I think that is safe if she is seated and you hold the cart. Kids that age move so fast though that if you take your hands off the cart for a few seconds they can tip the cart and hurt themselves, even if they are buckled in. The impulse control just isn't there for young kids.
post #64 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
FWIW, I was a kid who fell out of the shopping cart at age 3 -- one of those very high, very shallow kind (what was my mother thinking?!)
I don't know what your mother was thinking, but if that had been me with dd or ds2, I'd have probably been thinking something like "this is a better price in bulk - I wonder if I can afford to tie up that much grocery money in it", and not thinking about the child at all...as they would have been strapped into the seat. DS1 and dd could both unstrap & stand up - quietly - in second by the time they were 18 months old. It took ds2 until he was a couple of months older. Any of them could have fallen out of a cart in the time it took me to turn around and pick up a couple of cans of tomatoes...even though they were strapped in.
post #65 of 108

This Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Elsa View Post
The carts at our store have a sign on them forbidding children in the basket area. I figure the cart owner has spoken and that's that. If there's not a prohibition... well, I think it's a safety risk because of the way those carts are balanced, but that's your call.
This policy would honestly lead to us shopping elsewhere.
post #66 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I disagree. Groceries pretty much stay where you put them. If a child can't be trusted to walk along side, they can't be trusted to not move in such a way that may cause the cart to tip or for them to fall out.
I beg your pardon? All three of my kids are/were far more reliable in the cart than out of it. When their feet hit the floor, they get a little crazy.
post #67 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I beg your pardon? All three of my kids are far more reliable in the cart than out of it. When their feet hit the floor, they get a little crazy.
Uh, no need to get upset. I challenge anyone on this board to prove that they can predict every single move their children will ever make. Not going to happen.
post #68 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
Uh, no need to get upset. I challenge anyone on this board to prove that they can predict every single move their children will ever make. Not going to happen.
Who said I could? But, my kids are far more predictable in the cart than on the floor. That's just a fact. If I'm going to let my kids walk, I may as well not even pretend to shop, because I won't be able to get anything done.
post #69 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
you make a good point! carts are pretty gross. someone complained once because I was hauling garbage in one. Hello! raw meat goes in there. kids with who knows what on their shoes and hands. cans that have had maggots and botulism on them. they have been in a parking lot gathering exhaust residue. my garbage bag full of fresh coffee grounds is probably the cleanest thing that has been in there in months! but yeah, I also wouldn;t recommend letting your kids sit on the conveyor belts or put their hands on them. seriously. dirtier than a toilet seat . . . .
I find the idea of kids with dirty shoes and diapered butts in the cart gross. Not particularly logical, just a gut feeling.
post #70 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Who said I could? But, my kids are far more predictable in the cart than on the floor. That's just a fact. If I'm going to let my kids walk, I may as well not even pretend to shop, because I won't be able to get anything done.
...and there's still much room for error in the basket of a cart. Do what you need to. I mistakenly thought that you were suggesting that it was safe to have children in the basket, not that you felt it was easier than chasing them.
post #71 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
...and there's still much room for error in the basket of a cart. Do what you need to. I mistakenly thought that you were suggesting that it was safe to have children in the basket, not that you felt it was easier than chasing them.
I find the idea of "safe" where little kids are concerned completely humourous. My son broke his arm in my living room. My son and I almost got killed crossing a street with the pedestrian light, when a truck pulled out from a red, and turned, without checking the intersection. All three of my kids have come close to getting run over by cars...and ds1 did it by pulling free of my hand and bolting (when I tried to grab him, my feet went out from under me on wet grass). Two of my kids have, when walking with me on a shopping trip, bolted for the doors to the parking lot. The only one of my kids who has ever even come close to falling out of a shopping cart is ds2...and he was strapped into the seat at the time.

If I wanted to keep my kids safe, we'd never leave the house, and I'd pad all my furniture with pillows.
post #72 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Who said I could? But, my kids are far more predictable in the cart than on the floor. That's just a fact. If I'm going to let my kids walk, I may as well not even pretend to shop, because I won't be able to get anything done.
Exactly. True the bag of flour might not jump out the side, but my kid's not going to either.
post #73 of 108
My I suggest bubbles? Then you can still maybe leave the house on occasion, providing the sun isn't too hot that day.
post #74 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
I find the idea of kids with dirty shoes and diapered butts in the cart gross. Not particularly logical, just a gut feeling.
my kids have leaked more than once in the grocery cart. and I think shoes are gross. you never wash them and they walk through heaven knows what. I mean think of all the chemicals in the grocery store parking lot a lot. I'm just saying. carts are not clean. groceries are not clean. I don't mind my kids getting dirty but I am under no illusions of what has been dropped, spilled, leaked or tracked into things like grocery carts. and the closet they ever come to getting washed is left in the rain a few minutes. and I work and shop at a more upscale grocery store.

I also think stores are ridiculously dangerous places for kids. even if your kids didn't break it things get broken constantly and you never know where a stray shard of glass could be lurking. end caps are constantly falling over where I work. other people not watching where they are going. I think even the back of a cart is safer than kids walking through a store. . . .I constantly have cuts from products and shelving on my hands. its insane.
post #75 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
and the closet they ever come to getting washed is left in the rain a few minutes.

I live in the Pacific Northwest...there's no "few minutes" about it. It's more like a few days. But, yeah - certainly not sterile.
post #76 of 108
The only time he rides in the big part is at Joann's, when he gets bored of waiting for the fabric to be cut. - at the grocery store he has never asked to, so it hasnt been an issue yet, I dont think I'd want him sitting where he could squish the food!
He is ONLY allowed to sit in the big part if he is sitting on his bottom - if he keeps standing up, he goes back in the seat.

And I ALWAYS buckle him up in the seat - I've heard of several kids falling out, just from wiggling around bored or whatever, and it really bugs me when people dont buckle up their kids. I dont remember what the number is but there are thousands of kids injured in shopping cart accidents every year! You buckle them in the car right? So why not the cart! And it also bugs me when people put the infant carseats on top of the cart, its so dangerous, makes the cart top-heavy and they tip over all the time - saw one fall over at walmart a while ago, very scary.
post #77 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
And I ALWAYS buckle him up in the seat - I've heard of several kids falling out, just from wiggling around bored or whatever, and it really bugs me when people dont buckle up their kids. I dont remember what the number is but there are thousands of kids injured in shopping cart accidents every year! You buckle them in the car right? So why not the cart! And it also bugs me when people put the infant carseats on top of the cart, its so dangerous, makes the cart top-heavy and they tip over all the time - saw one fall over at walmart a while ago, very scary.

My son was a bit of an oddball this way but - when he learned to pull up on things (late-sh - around 10 months) the second thing he pulled up on was the cupboard door. Because he wanted to undo the child safety lock. Which he did.

By 12 months he could undo many straps (if they worked at all... half of ours were unbroken). The ones he couldn't do through sheer strength would induce massive rages in him.

So we couldn't strap him in. Mostly I used the Ergo, but sometimes, he sat with no straps. Trust me it was safer than him thrashing around irate that someone had dared design a clasp he couldn't get undone.
post #78 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
Sitting in the basket. Not wiggling, jiggling or trying to jump out. Sitting.
If you have mastered making small children sit perfectly still without shifting their weight around you are destined to be rich.
post #79 of 108
DD HATES sitting there, so she just walks. But I don't think I would mind.
post #80 of 108
Fortunately the grocery store we frequent has the carts with the seats for two or three kids, and they also have the carts that have the little car. So if DS doesn't want to sit in the seat we can just one of those carts, or if one isn't available one of us can carry him or he can walk along with the other parent. I'm a non-driver so all of our shopping trips are family outings (DH hates shopping and won't do it alone).

As far as riding in the basket goes, no he won't be allowed to, because I need the space for groceries since we only go shopping twice a month.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › spinoff: riding in the shopping cart