or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › THE Iodine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

THE Iodine Thread - Page 32

post #621 of 710
Thread Starter 
So if he doesn't use iodine or thyroid hormone to treat Hashi's, what does he use?

What does he say is the cause? His stat that 90% of hypo is caused by Hashi's is really surprising to me. Does he think that the antibody ranges are wrong? (Thinking I have to go back and look at my tests now. I know I was in the normal range.)
post #622 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
So if he doesn't use iodine or thyroid hormone to treat Hashi's, what does he use?

What does he say is the cause? His stat that 90% of hypo is caused by Hashi's is really surprising to me. Does he think that the antibody ranges are wrong? (Thinking I have to go back and look at my tests now. I know I was in the normal range.)
He uses diet(no gluten, possibly no dairy),herbs, and other supplements,and in some cases thyroid hormone. One of his first steps is to determine whether a person is TH-1 dominant or TH-2. The risk factors he mentions for developing Hahis is gluten intolerance,insulin resistance, PCOS, estrogen fluctuations,Vitamin D deficiency,chronic infection, inflammation and immune reaction to heavy metals and environmental pollutants.He also has a chapter on 22 patterns of low thyroid function that's so interesting! His main course of action is to treat the immune system not the thyroid first since hashis is an immune disease and not a thyroid disease. He doesn't think the antibody ranges are wrong. He gives a lot of recs for supps but doesn't name brands or amounts to take.

I'm not the best at explaining things so I hope that helped. It's really a great book, I just finished it.I would love to get into his practice! I'm surprised that you haven't read it Jane.
post #623 of 710
Sounds interesting, did you read his bio? Feels a bit 'certification happy'. And has most of his experience in sports medicine?

"He is a product development consultant to the nutrition industry and has been involved with the formulation of nutritional products such as metabolic creams, nutritional and herbal formulas, sublingual hormones and metabolic foods" makes me doubt his accuracy. However, I like the theory and am curious of his research.

"instructed over 4,000 hours of postgraduate education in laboratory analysis, diagnosis, and nutritional management." is about two years of ACADEMIC (non-real life) experience. And he is fresh on the scene with his new website? Looking for real stories and experience to read. Sounds like a pharmaceutical MD in nutritional supplement DC clothes, to me who is internet marketing a book on a popular topic.

His "testimonials" come from his classes, it appears, not from consulting and treating real patients. http://www.thyroidbook.com/book-testimonials.html

I'll go check PubMed, etc.


Sounds a bit like Dr. Mercola selling HIS solution to the world's problems. Am I sounding cynical today?


Pat
post #624 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Sounds a bit like Dr. Mercola selling HIS solution to the world's problems. Am I sounding cynical today?


Pat
When he explains things in the book, he gets to a level of detail that satisfies my curiosity. I haven't dived into thyroid stuff much to be able to compare it to other resources, but just based on how he writes, it seems like he actually knows what he's talking about. I'm taking it as a great starting point, but still want to do my own fact checking to make sure I'm interpreting things the same as him.
post #625 of 710
"He instructs postgraduate courses sponsored by Bridgeport [University?] and conducts seminars across the country." http://www.nutritionalwellness.com/a...5_insomnia.php

A bit more info about what the book purports. http://allergyexpert.wordpress.com/2...llergy-relief/

I find NO ncbi or Pubmed studies to his credit.



Seems like a marketing rep. http://hormoneseminars.com/about.htm


Some interesting studies he references. (not his research)

"In conclusion, 78.3% of patients with hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto’s thyroiditis regained an euthyroid state iodine restriction alone. Both a low initial serum TSH and a high initial urinary iodine concentration can be predictable factors for a recovery from hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto’s thyroiditis after restricting their iodine intake.(13) "
http://drknews.com/2010/03/08/some-s...yroid-disease/

An interesting further discussion of iodine restriction to address hypothyroid?!? http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/459924_4

It seems to postulate that in a small subset of hypothyroid patients (seemingly those with auto-immune thyroid issues associated with celiac, perhaps?) could benefit from iodine restriction and instead supplement thyroid hormone replacement (which is available for sale!).

Thus the recs to avoid grains, restrict iodine and buy thyroid supplements. Wonder if he consults with thyroid supplement manufacturers?

ETA: I ran across a testing lab he is working for which does his recommended lab tests. The connection to lab testing services and manufacturers leads me to question the objectivity of the testing/supplement recs. I know this is common with many "health professionals" nowadays. http://www.professionalco-op.com/seminars/seminars.html


His seminars are expensive! http://gowen.info/yahoo_site_admin/a....333112254.pdf

Pat
post #626 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
When he explains things in the book, he gets to a level of detail that satisfies my curiosity. I haven't dived into thyroid stuff much to be able to compare it to other resources, but just based on how he writes, it seems like he actually knows what he's talking about. I'm taking it as a great starting point, but still want to do my own fact checking to make sure I'm interpreting things the same as him.
Best testimonial I've read today.


Pat
post #627 of 710
Apparently, Glysen, Adaptocrine, Adrenocalm are some of the recommended supplements and are proprietary to Apex Energetics, for whom he does "educational" seminars. http://www.apexenergetics.com/

"According to Dr. Datis Kharrazian, Blood Chemistry Seminar instructor and supplements formulator for Apex Energetics, Inc"


Pat
post #628 of 710
Confessions of a serial poster. I'm obsessed with this idea of locating research about nutrition and autoimmune thyroid issues.

As an fyi:
Datis Kharrazian from Apex Energetics says not to use maca, because it up regulates the Th1 immune response, which is also responsible for Hashimoto's. I have found studies corroborating Th1 cytokines involved in Hashimoto's but nothing about maca’s immune stimulating effects.

http://www.macatalk.com/faqs/adrenal.html


Pat
post #629 of 710
I am both intrigued by the science and impressed by the marketing acumen.

This is the marketing spiel to nutrition/chiro's to " Functional Marketing Building your ideal science-based nutrition practice." promoted by Datis Kharrazian Apex Energetics in his "educational seminars"


Quote:
10 Steps to Success with Functional Nutrion
Blood Nutrition System
Top 30 Apex Products

Affordable & Effective Local Advertising
Patient Marketing Letter
http://www.adamapex.com/about-me/


ETA: Buy now, Grand Total for 12-month program $ 2,859.35 Price per month $ 238.28 (DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY SUPPLEMENT PRODUCTS SOLD TO THE PATIENT)

"Run a comprehensive blood panel on everyone in your office NOW (or on their first visit) and follow-up every 30-60 days with the same panel. You can't believe how much of a difference this will make with your patients. Your credibility and results will soar. Tech support is free through Apex tech support for all of your cases. You can sell packages for multiple visits and labs that will save them huge amounts of money, and by using Direct Labs or Professional Co-op your rates are incredibly low for testing too."

"As part of the program family, you will also receive a 10% discount on most supplements required for the program"

http://www.adamapex.com/ (select "home")


Pat
post #630 of 710
cynical, I am.


Pat
post #631 of 710
I am not sure what the controversy is between Hashi's and iodine. I know I'm going back to what worked for me. My beloved DD is now weaned and I have increased my iodine (Ioderol) to 25 mg / day. I have a functional medicine doctor who writes prescriptions for blood tests when I request. I plan on retesting my thyroid now - it's been two months since the last ATA + test - and again at the end of May.

I know that ATA's have been somewhat linked to increased miscarriage rates. One RE's site explains that it is not exactly the ATA's that are the issue but that it is an indication there is an immune response going on in the body that may affect pregnancy outcome.

I know I'd like to see my ATA's back down prior to TTC again.

I did look at the amount of selenium I am taking and it is over 400 mcg / day. Would I benefit by adding more?

My plan is 25 mg / iodine per day plus Young Living Essential Oil's Frankincense oil applied topically 2 - 3 times per day. I did the Frankincense oil in 2006 and my ATA's were 12 / 13 for three years until I became pregnant. A negative ATA test range is < 10. After testing > 400 I was very happy with a 12 / 13.

ETA: I am increasing the iodine to shrink thyroid nodules. I was able to shrink 2 nodules in six week's time in 2008. Now I have four nodules. Not really interested in a biopsy. I mean, if iodine can shrink my nodules, why do a biopsy?

WuWei - thank you for all your time and posting on the Apex topic.
post #632 of 710
Ya thanks Pat....

I wonder If the supps really work??? some of the creams he mentions for adrenals and glutathione cream seem really interesting. Maybe I'm just gullible Pat will you read the book?
post #633 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllynn View Post
I am not sure what the controversy is between Hashi's and iodine. I know I'm going back to what worked for me. My beloved DD is now weaned and I have increased my iodine (Ioderol) to 25 mg / day. I have a functional medicine doctor who writes prescriptions for blood tests when I request. I plan on retesting my thyroid now - it's been two months since the last ATA + test - and again at the end of May.

I know that ATA's have been somewhat linked to increased miscarriage rates. One RE's site explains that it is not exactly the ATA's that are the issue but that it is an indication there is an immune response going on in the body that may affect pregnancy outcome.

I know I'd like to see my ATA's back down prior to TTC again.

I did look at the amount of selenium I am taking and it is over 400 mcg / day. Would I benefit by adding more?

My plan is 25 mg / iodine per day plus Young Living Essential Oil's Frankincense oil applied topically 2 - 3 times per day. I did the Frankincense oil in 2006 and my ATA's were 12 / 13 for three years until I became pregnant. A negative ATA test range is < 10. After testing > 400 I was very happy with a 12 / 13.

ETA: I am increasing the iodine to shrink thyroid nodules. I was able to shrink 2 nodules in six week's time in 2008. Now I have four nodules. Not really interested in a biopsy. I mean, if iodine can shrink my nodules, why do a biopsy?

WuWei - thank you for all your time and posting on the Apex topic.
It's said that For some with Hashis iodine can make symptoms worse...I have yet to try it tho.
post #634 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
It's said that For some with Hashis iodine can make symptoms worse...I have yet to try it tho.
I believe the concern is that it increases antibodies in some patients, causing not just a worsening of symptoms but an attack on the thyroid, which ends up compromising their thyroid further.
post #635 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I believe the concern is that it increases antibodies in some patients, causing not just a worsening of symptoms but an attack on the thyroid, which ends up compromising their thyroid further.
Yep
post #636 of 710
So if I need iodine to reduce nodules but I also have anti-bodies, is there another alternative to address both nodules and anti-bodies?

I have started chinese herbs but my practitioner mentioned that it would take about six months to see resolution.
post #637 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllynn View Post
So if I need iodine to reduce nodules but I also have anti-bodies, is there another alternative to address both nodules and anti-bodies?

I have started chinese herbs but my practitioner mentioned that it would take about six months to see resolution.
I'm sure there are some that iodine may help so If you have taken it before maybe it works for you??? I would really consider reading www.thyroidbook.com because he really goes into depth about the thyroid antibodies maybe even your HCP would be willing to check it out??
post #638 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
I'm sure there are some that iodine may help so If you have taken it before maybe it works for you??? I would really consider reading www.thyroidbook.com because he really goes into depth about the thyroid antibodies maybe even your HCP would be willing to check it out??
Somewhere in this thread, there's a link to iodine literate HCPs. I would suggest checking it out and seeing one of them. (The closest one to me is 4 hours away. )
post #639 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Somewhere in this thread, there's a link to iodine literate HCPs. I would suggest checking it out and seeing one of them. (The closest one to me is 4 hours away. )
I think it has something to do with the breast cancer site???
post #640 of 710
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllynn View Post
So if I need iodine to reduce nodules but I also have anti-bodies, is there another alternative to address both nodules and anti-bodies?

I have started chinese herbs but my practitioner mentioned that it would take about six months to see resolution.
editing: Nevermind, couldn't remember what I posted here a few weeks ago!

Are you strictly gluten free?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › THE Iodine Thread