or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Vegetarian and Vegan › June Veg-What's for dinner???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

June Veg-What's for dinner??? - Page 5

post #81 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
I am making a corn and cheese loaf in the crockpot. It's baking as I write. If it tastes anything baked like the batter tasted it will be heaven. It has leeks and thyme in it. Yummy! Serving it with left over beans and tomatoes.

Last night was mac 'n cheese baked in the crockpot. I added onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes. I'm keeping the baby off wheat until she's a year so it was made with rice pasta.
how has the loaf??? worth sharing? it sounds nummy = i can always use a new crockpot recipe
post #82 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
Can't believe it's mid June already! I went to sub to the thread "for the month" only to really realize the month is more than half over, lol.
Tonight I made potato and black bean enchiladas that were super yummy and easy, and had canteloupe on the side. Tomorrow will be mock tuna salad and veggies, or if I'm particularly lazy just hummus and veggies. :
Could you share your enchilada recipe? I am drooling just thinking about it :
please and thank you!
post #83 of 154
Thread Starter 
This weekends been pretty busy, with not a lot of cooking being done

But last night I did make 3 types of perogies. Plain potato/garlic, potato/sauerkrate, potato/soy cheese. We had it with homemade tofu sour cream and a light salad.

Tonight is prob chickpea/cauliflower/potato curry. I have a 50lb bag of potatoes to use up, and our organic shipment doesn't come till later so we're super low groceries until then.
post #84 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by love bug View Post
Could you share your enchilada recipe? I am drooling just thinking about it :
please and thank you!
Here's the link to the original recipe, but I modified mine a bit and will post that as well:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Potato-...as/Detail.aspx

Here's what I did:

1 lb of potatoes
1 can of black beans
1/2 cup onions
corn tortillas
1 gigantic can of green enchilada sauce


I peeled and cut up the lb of potatoes ( about three of them) then coated them in olive oil and red robin seasoning and poured a bit of the enchilada sauce over the top of them and baked them for 20 minutes to soften them. I then combined the potatoes, onion and beans and and about half the can of enchilada sauce and rolled some of that mixture inside the tortillas and put them in a greased baking dish. I dumped the rest of the enchilada sauce ( can you tell I really like enchilada sauce?) on the enchiladas and baked until they were heated through which was about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. These were super yummy and relatively easy to make. I think it would taste good as a layered enchilada casserole too if you didn't want to mess with rolling individual enchiladas.
post #85 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by love bug View Post
how has the loaf??? worth sharing? it sounds nummy = i can always use a new crockpot recipe
Both my kids loved it. My husband complained it was "comfort food." I liked it, though it was a bit juicy last night. Today it had absorbed most of the moisture. It has a texture sort of like a quiche. Next time I'll reduce the broth by 1/4 cup and see how it turns out. It was fun making it since it's so different from what I've made before.

Actually, I wonder if some of the excess moisture was from ice melting off the corn.

This is from 125 Best Vegetarian slow cooker recipes by Judith Finlay

8-by 5-inch 8 loaf pan lightly greased

8oz ricotta cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups corn kernels,thawed if frozen
2 tbsp butter
3 leeks, white part only with a bit of green, cleaned and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
I tsp salt
1/2tsp dried thyme leaves
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
I tbsp all-purpose flour
I cup vegetable stock

1. In a bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan and eggs. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Fold in corn. Set aside.
2.In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, Lrntil softened, about ,1 minutes. Add garlic. green pepper. salt. thyme and black pepper. and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring. for I minute. Add vegetable stock and cook, stirring, until thickened. Fold into cheese mixture. Spoon mixture into prepared loaf pan.
3. Cover with foil and secure with a string or elastic band. Place pan in slow cooker stoneware and pour in enough boiling water to reach '1 inch (2.5 cnr) up the sides of the dish. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours until set. Serve warm.
post #86 of 154
I actually cooked tonight! Whole wheat rotini with cilantro-lime pesto, peas, and Morningstar chik'n strips. Wish I could take credit for the pesto, but I found it at the co-op today- it was wonderful! Also, spinach/strawberry/goat cheese salad, whole grain bread, and cantaloupe. Decaf chai after dinner. YUM!
post #87 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
But last night I did make 3 types of perogies. Plain potato/garlic, potato/sauerkrate, potato/soy cheese.
Caiesmommy, can I have your pierogie recipe? I've always wanted to make them. I make the knishes from VWAV, but this sounds even better!

We've been doing a lot of leftovers this last week, but tonight I tried a fun experiment. I made asparagus tapenade, from the vegweb.com site. It was pretty good, I have to say! The kids thought it was guacamole, which I think is hysterical -- I hate avocados (I know, bad vegetarian!) and so can't imagine it really does taste like it, but it sure did LOOK like it. We ate it on toasted hot dog buns (leftover from a bday party) with a big salad. It was definitely something I'd make again!

Tomorrow we get our CSA box. Check out what's in it!
post #88 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Tonight is prob chickpea/cauliflower/potato curry. .
Would it be possible to have the recipe it sounds delicious and has made my mouth water thinking about it!
post #89 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post

or if I'm particularly lazy just hummus and veggies. :
I love the idea of lazy things for tea, do you make a homemade one or a shop bought one? Do you just serve it with raw veg like carrot sticks/celery/tomatoes? Do you serve any bread with it?
Can you tell I'm tired of cooking right now? LOL
post #90 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
I love the idea of lazy things for tea, do you make a homemade one or a shop bought one? Do you just serve it with raw veg like carrot sticks/celery/tomatoes? Do you serve any bread with it?
Can you tell I'm tired of cooking right now? LOL
I usually do a store bought one with sliced cucumbers and bell peppers. It's great with carrots and celery sticks but I am having some problems with my back teeth and can't really eat anything crunchy without pain. I like using it for a dip with tortilla chips. I've also thinned it out with a bit of water and drizzled it over salads. It would probably be really good spread on toast points too. Hummus is my favorite go to when I really don't feel like cooking, especially during the summer when it's so freaking hot.
post #91 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddledebi View Post
Caiesmommy, can I have your pierogie recipe? I've always wanted to make them. I make the knishes from VWAV, but this sounds even better!

We've been doing a lot of leftovers this last week, but tonight I tried a fun experiment. I made asparagus tapenade, from the vegweb.com site. It was pretty good, I have to say! The kids thought it was guacamole, which I think is hysterical -- I hate avocados (I know, bad vegetarian!) and so can't imagine it really does taste like it, but it sure did LOOK like it. We ate it on toasted hot dog buns (leftover from a bday party) with a big salad. It was definitely something I'd make again!

Tomorrow we get our CSA box. Check out what's in it!
I didn't follow a recipe per say...I followed this dough recipe
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/european/vegan-pierogis.html

and I just winged the filling. Then I boiled them, then fried them..I will say they tasted better the day after, they firmed up. Either way they all got eaten and that's the important part lol

BTW I'm super jealous about your csa box..for some reason we never got one this week...I'm assuming they didn't get my email...Really sucks cause this weekk was 17 different things!
post #92 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
Would it be possible to have the recipe it sounds delicious and has made my mouth water thinking about it!
Again I don't really follow a recipe LOL. I use to buy Pitaks curry paste but the way we go throw it it just seemed to expensive...so one day I winged it and dh thought it was pitaks so I never bought it again. Here we go this is a less spicy version then we eat...you can add/or subtract the spices

1 med onion chopped
1-4 cloves garlic chopped-depending on your taste..we use a 1/2 bulb
1 inch piece ginger peeled chopped
1-2 potatoes chopped(peeled if you like)
cauliflower(as much as you'd like)
cooked chickpeas-when we use canned it's about 1/2-3/4 can

1 can tomatoes or tomato juice
1/2 cup-full can of coconut milk depending on your tastes-can use almond or soy we just really like it w coconut
1/4-1/2 c cilantro+ some to garnish-we go heavy on cilantro
1-2 tsp tumeric
1-2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp corriander
cayenne to taste
splash of lemon juice(can omit, we rarely have lemons on hand and try not to use bottled lemon juice)

I pre-boil the potatoes/cauliflower so they cook quicker.

Saute onions, garlic, add cilanto and spices until you can really start smelling them. Then tomatoes, coconut milk and lemon. Give it a good stir and let simmer. Taste test it and add more spices if needed(we add A LOT of spice). Then stir in your veg and let simmer again. Serve over rice with more cilantro

This is the quicker way...the more authentic way would be to use veggie broth, tomatoes all the spices the uncooked potatoes and let it simmer on the stove all day long until it reduces some...I do that recipe in the winter when I don't mind having the stove on/want to make big batches to freeze..though it seems the more I make the more gets eaten at dinner, not to mention every time I make curry my uncle demands I inform him so he can pick some up on his way home from work the next day
post #93 of 154
Thanks mybabysmama and wytchywoman!

Yummy yummy!!!
post #94 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimL View Post
I made spinach loaf w/ curry cream sauce
We had CHEWY PICNIC BROWNIES, made from this month's vegetarian times, for desert.
Ohh.. could you possibly post the recipe for the spinach load? It sounds awesome with the curry sauce!

I'll have to dig out my VT and check for the chewy picnic brownies recipe!
post #95 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
I am making a corn and cheese loaf in the crockpot. It's baking as I write. If it tastes anything baked like the batter tasted it will be heaven. It has leeks and thyme in it. Yummy! Serving it with left over beans and tomatoes.

Last night was mac 'n cheese baked in the crockpot. I added onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes. I'm keeping the baby off wheat until she's a year so it was made with rice pasta.

Both dishes sound wonderful, especially since they're both made in the crockpot! would you mind, possibly sharing the recipe for the Mac 'n cheese, please? (I was happy to see the other one was already posted after another mom here requested it! )

We went to a BBQ late afternoon (well, I didn't eat anything due to everything being for omnis) so we had a light dinner with 'Poor Man's caviar' and black corn chips plus an artichoke spread made w/white beans and artichokes that we get from a small local store here, fresh and soaking in the yummiest olive oil.

For dessert I made a banana bread but unfortunately it turned out too dry..: Does anyone know how to 'save' such disaster banana breads? Can I do anything else with it? I really don't want to trash it but eating it like this is really not fun either.. It's dry like the desert
post #96 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post


For dessert I made a banana bread but unfortunately it turned out too dry..: Does anyone know how to 'save' such disaster banana breads? Can I do anything else with it? I really don't want to trash it but eating it like this is really not fun either.. It's dry like the desert
I would use it as a dessert...cubed up and served "sundae" style, with vanilla ice cream(soy whatever), walnuts, whip cream and syrup. I would think the ice cream melting would make the bread less dry...you could layer it parfait style also
post #97 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
I would use it as a dessert...cubed up and served "sundae" style, with vanilla ice cream(soy whatever), walnuts, whip cream and syrup. I would think the ice cream melting would make the bread less dry...you could layer it parfait style also
Oooh.. That sounds wonderful! I didn't even think of that! It could be even like a banana bread pudding style. Whew, I'm glad this disaster will be saved! lol
post #98 of 154
Last night was a very uncreative frozen cheese tortelini. Night before was pasta with a white bean, tomato & asparagus sauce.

Tonight we are supposed to go to a picinic so I made a cold soba noodle salad to go along with our usual fresh fruit & veggies & some vegan chocolate banana pudding for desert. However DS2 is acting like he is getting sick & my head (& stomach) is spinning from a REALLY unhealthy lunch so we may not make it to the picinic :
post #99 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post
would you mind, possibly sharing the recipe for the Mac 'n cheese, please?
I made the recipe as below EXCEPT they called for a small box of macaroni. I used a one pound bag of penne pasta (actually used rice pasta since I want to keep the baby off wheat until she's a year.) I was afraid there wouldn't be enough sauce for double the pasta, but I thought it was just the right amount. Just make sure that you stir before serving to coat all the pasta with sauce.

Also, I sauteed onions and mushrooms in the butter. I cut the butter down by half. Then I cut up some roma tomatoes and mixed it all in. I used low fat white cheddar cheese. I suppose I should re-write the recipe to how I did it, but I want to give credit to the original source, so I'm giving you the original recipe below. You'll just need to make the changes if you want to.

Bachelor's Cheese And Macaroni
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com
Category: Macaroni And Cheese
Serves/Makes: 4 | Difficulty Level: 2 | Ready In: 2-5 hrs
Ingredients:
1 small box elbow macaroni
3 cups cheddar cheese -- shredded
1 can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup homogenized milk
3 eggs
1/2 stick butter
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Cook macaroni according to directions on box. Grease crock pot with butter.
Mix all ingredients in crock pot, cook on high for 30 minutes then turn on low and cook for 2 hours.
Recipe Location: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ni115411.shtml
Recipe ID: 86284

ETA: I also added crushed garlic when I was sauteing the mushrooms and onions.
post #100 of 154
In case anyone gets their posts out of the email instead of here, I edited to add garlic to the mac 'n cheese recipe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vegetarian and Vegan
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Vegetarian and Vegan › June Veg-What's for dinner???