or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › January 2010 › what nice things has your partner done
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what nice things has your partner done

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
to help you out or just cheer you up,

think that mine feels like there is not much he can do to help with me being sick a lot and that frustrates him
but he has been giving me lots more hugs and kisses
and bought me some really posh chocolates (which my dogs stole half off but its the thought that counts lol)

Jools
post #2 of 37
He feeds Trixie in the middle of the night when I feel like death. He takes care of the pet poo area and helps with chores with even less foot dragging when he sees that I immobile. Oh and craft night once a week and what ever other evenings I might have planned.
He really is a gem.
post #3 of 37
I cannot possibly say enough about the wonderful way dh is caring for me. He gets up with dd in the morning, since I don't sleep well...he makes sure the dishes are done, dishwasher loaded, unloaded and the sink is clean...picked up carryout for me the last two nights in a row because I could eat absolutely nothing in the house...carries loads of laundry down for me...feeds dd when I am simply too sick to manage...all this on top of listening to me whine about being so tired and nauseated. And then still makes a point to ask if there's anything else he can so for me. He's my hero.
post #4 of 37
He pre-cleans our DS's poopy diapers for me before I wash them. Cloth diapering has gotten hard since nausea hit home. He takes us out for dinner so I don't have to cook and clean in the evening. He works long hours and is just as tired as I am in the evening. I am just a bit testy when it comes to the choice of restaurants since nausea sometimes clouds that picture too. He helps out more in little things around.
post #5 of 37
My dh brought home 2 dozen pink tulips night before last and made me the only thing in the world I wanted for dinner last night: a hot open face turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and two kinds of gravy. It was so good I had it for second breakfast this morning.

Amy
post #6 of 37
Hmmm..... let's see..... OH, I know!! He went all day today without saying, "You're pregnant, not dying of cancer!"

Seriously, my dh is great and he is a great dad. But he is lacking a little (ok, a LOT!) in the pregnancy sympathy department. He was kind of sympathetic with #1 but with #2 he was pretty much telling me to suck up and deal with it. Now that we are on #3 I don't think that he could possibly be a shred less sympathetic without turning into a cold, hard rock.

He actually truly believes with all his heart (and says it often) that he has it just as tough as I do during pregnancy.

Kudos to all the doting daddies on the board!!!
post #7 of 37
Mine actually does a lot. He comes home from work and the first thing he does is tackles any household chores if I haven't gotten to them or if I am doing them then he will help. He has been stepping up to the plate and giving our current baby a bath more. He rubs my back, shoulders and feet a lot more then he used to. If I am sick he encourages me to lay down, and if I am tired the same thing. He also calls me to see how I am doing if he is working a different shift then third (when he is on overtime) and he calls me on his drive home from work to talk and see how my night went, how the kids were for me and if I need anything from the store, etc. If I don't feel up to cooking dinner he will either cook or pick something up for us. He offers to do all of our dance lesson running and was picking dd up from track as well.

I have to admit my dh used to suck at this, but with pregnancy number eight he became really, really good - after she was born it went away a little bit, but now that I am pregnant again he is right back to pampering me.
post #8 of 37
Ok, I have to say that the nicest thing my dh has done so far is treat me like a normal human being. His parents have been constantly talking about how I can't lift anything now, and I should just relax and not do anything physical, but that's just not me, yk? I appreciate their good intentions, but I hate being fussed over.

Oh, and last night, dh finally started reading his "daddy book" and was telling me all the interesting tips he read...cute b/c it's stuff I already know (after months and months of research lol) but I just smile and nod because I'm glad HE'S finally acting interested in the whole process.
post #9 of 37
Strawberry Fields, if not for my recent miscarriages, I promise that my husband would be the same. But since he really wants another kiddo, he is taking my difficulties with pregnancy very seriously. Thankfully!

Right now, he is unloading the camping gear from the car. He also loaded it before we left for the outer banks of NC. He lets me sleep whenever, wherever. He drove the entire way there and back to NC. He cleans (not much, but it's better than what I've been doing recently!), he gets water or ice cream or anything else I want whenever I want it. (I am trying not to take advantage of that one. ) In short, he's a dream come true.
post #10 of 37
Ohhh lots I have a really wonderful guy - I've been in a couple of nasty relationships before, but this one is awesome. Let me count the ways... (As Roger Rabbit would say)

He took me out for dinner on my birthday, and paid for the lot in a fancy restaurant!
Two days later, he asked me to marry him with the most gorgeous ring I've ever seen in my life...
He has supported my decision to go freelance, even though it scared (and kinda still scares) him!
He carries all the heavy stuff about!
He lets me have naps.
He lets me sleep and doesn't rock the bed too much in the mornings.
He tries to keep bad smells out of my way!
He gets me creature comforts, like blankets when I fall asleep on the sofa...
He makes me tea whenever I need it
He talks to our little bean in a funny voice, because we both know to cherish it even when it's tiny (after what happened last time).
He is kind to me....

I love him *swoons* - And we've known each other since 2005, so it's not so new nowadays. It's all about appreciation, every day

XXX
post #11 of 37
I find the idea of this thread delightful!

My husband has been really supportive of my wanting to work-at-home now and after the baby is born. I really, really appreciate this.

Whenever we need something from the shops he is always happy to go out and get whatever we need. He cooks, takes me out to restaurants and understands that there are certain foods I can't bear to eat ATM.

He always listens when I want to talk about the baby and how it feels to be pregnant. This is our first, so I'm pretty excited!
post #12 of 37
Thread Starter 
its nice to see how everyones partner is doing those little or not so little things to make the early pregnancy that little bit less diffciult
post #13 of 37
great thread! here's what i'm doing for dp (i think it helps a LOT that i've been pregnant myself):

doing all the driving
feeding, bathing, and getting our son ready for bed while she naps after work (although she has to get up for a few minutes to kiss him goodnight and let him kiss the baby (her belly))
doing all the heavy lifting, including our son who at 22 months is over 32lbs!!
changing all the diapers
emptying and cleaning the diaper pail
feeding the dog
making whatever food she thinks might be ok to eat right now
letting her nap/sleep/rest whenever
getting our son ready for daycare plus all his food
taking out the trash
loading and unloading the dishwasher
doing all the laundry
getting the groceries

i don't mind it at all. i remember how god awful the m/s nausea and tiredness was.

g
post #14 of 37
I know this sounds silly to all of you but he walks the cows for me.

We milk 3 cows 2x a day and in the evenings when he gets home from work he walks them back and forth from the field to the stanchion for me. They are in a far pasture right now and I am usually more sick in the evenings and the walking really gets to me. So I have to just sit back and wait for him to get back with the next one and then I milk. In the morning, my kids do it for me.
post #15 of 37
Ha, ha, ha! This post actually made me laugh (at myself). This is my third pregnancy, the first my husband was a little more intrigued by it all and coddled me a bit in the beginning when I didn't feel well and when I was stressed out due to spotting, etc. This time around he travels for his job M-F and tries to pack in all sorts of household jobs on the weekends. He hasn't done anything really other than express mild sympathy that I feel sick and I am tired and I am alone with the other two children all week. He is definitely one of those guys who really doesn't get excited until the baby starts to move and really for the most part until the baby is actually born.
post #16 of 37
My hubby is one of those who doesn't quite get it. He's not really voluntarily doing anything out of the ordinary, but if I ask him nicely about 5 times and after that doesn't work I then have some type of dramatic display he usually gets it and will start to help out some. Honestly, he's not that bad but I wish I didn't feel like I have to nag so much; but he's totally AWESOME during birth and once the baby gets here.
post #17 of 37
Jayjay, you got ENGAGED?!?!?! Congrats mama!
post #18 of 37

Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
Hmmm..... let's see..... OH, I know!! He went all day today without saying, "You're pregnant, not dying of cancer!"

Seriously, my dh is great and he is a great dad. But he is lacking a little (ok, a LOT!) in the pregnancy sympathy department. He was kind of sympathetic with #1 but with #2 he was pretty much telling me to suck up and deal with it. Now that we are on #3 I don't think that he could possibly be a shred less sympathetic without turning into a cold, hard rock.

He actually truly believes with all his heart (and says it often) that he has it just as tough as I do during pregnancy.

Kudos to all the doting daddies on the board!!!
I would say treat yourself extra special then! You certainly deserve it.

,

-K
post #19 of 37

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel65655 View Post
I know this sounds silly to all of you but he walks the cows for me.

We milk 3 cows 2x a day and in the evenings when he gets home from work he walks them back and forth from the field to the stanchion for me. They are in a far pasture right now and I am usually more sick in the evenings and the walking really gets to me. So I have to just sit back and wait for him to get back with the next one and then I milk. In the morning, my kids do it for me.
I think you're the only one whose dh/dp walks the cows for them! LOL

,

-K
post #20 of 37

Congratulations on the engagement JayJay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Ohhh lots I have a really wonderful guy - I've been in a couple of nasty relationships before, but this one is awesome. Let me count the ways... (As Roger Rabbit would say)

He took me out for dinner on my birthday, and paid for the lot in a fancy restaurant!
Two days later, he asked me to marry him with the most gorgeous ring I've ever seen in my life...
He has supported my decision to go freelance, even though it scared (and kinda still scares) him!
He carries all the heavy stuff about!
He lets me have naps.
He lets me sleep and doesn't rock the bed too much in the mornings.
He tries to keep bad smells out of my way!
He gets me creature comforts, like blankets when I fall asleep on the sofa...
He makes me tea whenever I need it
He talks to our little bean in a funny voice, because we both know to cherish it even when it's tiny (after what happened last time).
He is kind to me....

I love him *swoons* - And we've known each other since 2005, so it's not so new nowadays. It's all about appreciation, every day

XXX
JayJay,

I'm SO happy for you! You deserve a sweetie, and I'm happy Roger is so great to you.

,

-K
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: January 2010
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › January 2010 › what nice things has your partner done