or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › June 2009 › Anytime is Fine Now Baby!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anytime is Fine Now Baby!

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Saw OB last night and am still 1-2 cm dilated (for like 3 weeks now), now 70% effaced and at a -2 station. He said I had a very favorable cervix but like me did not want to sweep membranes or anything and just let nature take its course. I'll be 40 weeks tomorrow. If no baby yet, I see the MW Monday night and they'll want to set up a bio-physical profile for middle/end of next week.

In the meantime, I guess maybe "natural induction" methods couldn't hurt? Sex seems out of question right now (ouch) but walking, pineapple, spicy food, scrubbing floors, etc? Would love babe out this weekend if possible!
post #2 of 12
With my last pregnancy we DTD - which was just funny......and hiked a bunch.....I hiked 5 miles the day I went into labor.

I'm sorry you're ready and nothing's happening! Hang in there.
post #3 of 12
Yeah, I am just about 38 weeks. And I would love for things to get moving. I want to meet my baby!!

EPO? Also, someone told me that a massage like the kind you get with a pedicure could do the trick. I think due to pressure points in the feet. With my last child, I had a pedicure and my water broke that night. I also ate spicy food, pineapple, DTD, and walked the mall. Maybe one of those did the trick? Not sure. I could have happened without all of those things crammed into one day!
post #4 of 12
EPO (taken both orally and vaginally) has prostagladins in it like semen does, so they can be helpful in ripening the cervix. Never heard to use it externally, though...interesting. I had a reflexology session (where they focus on all the pressure points in your feet and hands) Wednesday that didn't do anything to get contractions going, but it was very relaxing all the same.

I had forgotten about the pineapple thing, I might need to go pick some up today. I'm due Sunday, but I'd be fine with anytime now.
post #5 of 12
I'll send baby vibes your way! I'm 38 weeks and ready, but tonigth we promised the kids a campout in our living room, complete with tent and S'mores. Tomorrow DH has a house burn that he really wants to be able to do (he's volunteer firefighter in a small town so it's mostly medicals and not too many fires!). I guess as much as I want this kid out I would like to wait until at least Sunday!
post #6 of 12
Here is what is on my list to get things going:

EPO & Sex: not really for starting labor, but it should help get things ready for labor. Well, I guess sex releases Oxytocin so that is good.. maybe if you can't have sex you can do "other things"

Aromatherapy: Clary Sage is what is suppose to be the scent to get things going.

Reflexology: There are certain pressure points that are suppose to induce labor.

RRL tea- another thing to help get you ready for labor- not for starting labor

Walking: Should get that baby's head down and in the right place.

LAST RESORT: Castor Oil.. I would only do this at 41w6d though.
post #7 of 12
pineapple?
post #8 of 12
I am about 40 1/2 weeks right now, and ready any time my uterus is!

I can assure you that pineapple does nothing. I ate an ENTIRE pineapple this week. nada. My friend ate THREE pineapples over 2 days at 41 weeks. nada. I am sure that theoretically, if you eat enough fresh (not canned) pineapple, you will get enough of the the promeliad chemical that helps to soften your cervix, but I think you'd have to eat about 7 in 24 hours.

I honestly don't think any of the food stories are worth anything. If a woman eats some magic pizza at 41 weeks or spicy food at 40 weeks and then goes into labor, it doesn't mean anything. And if you eat spicy food all the time (like I do), it is not going to cause an "upset stomach" which is what is supposed to throw you into labor (because bowel movements will irritate the uterus and cause contractions--same mechanics of castor oil).

I also think the longer you wait, the more likely something like sex or a membrane sweep is going to to have an effect. You are likely not ready to go before 40 or 41 weeks, and nothing is going to kick start anything.
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post

I also think the longer you wait, the more likely something like sex or a membrane sweep is going to to have an effect. You are likely not ready to go before 40 or 41 weeks, and nothing is going to kick start anything.
I agree mainly BUT I did have a membrane sweep (that I hadn't wanted or asked for) at 38 weeks with DD and it did put me into labor - even though my labor later showed that my body/baby weren't truly ready yet. My OB last night said if he were to strip them (which neither he nor I wanted) that I'd likely be in labor today.

In any case, I feel even lower and more engaged today and my body is definitely trying to "clean itself out" - appetite is reduced too. We'll see!
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamane18 View Post
I agree mainly BUT I did have a membrane sweep (that I hadn't wanted or asked for) at 38 weeks with DD and it did put me into labor - even though my labor later showed that my body/baby weren't truly ready yet. My OB last night said if he were to strip them (which neither he nor I wanted) that I'd likely be in labor today.
Wow! I hope that it really is that effective, because if I am still at work on Monday, I am going to be really depressed, and i am going to ask my MW to strip my membranes at my 11 am appointment.
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
Wow! I hope that it really is that effective, because if I am still at work on Monday, I am going to be really depressed, and i am going to ask my MW to strip my membranes at my 11 am appointment.
OB last time (who I am not using this time and am upset he did this) stripped at 38 weeks. Had a lot of prodormal labor for a few days then he stripped them again at 38.5 weeks and I was in labor a day or two labor. But it was a long and hard labor and I ended up needed Pit halfway through. Body wasn't really ready yet I think. But this time my new OB (who is great) and MW agree that at this point it would likely work since my body is much more ready and I'm 40 weeks tomorrow. But still am holding off with that until 41 weeks we think. Hopefully it won't be necessary!

I should add that I'm VERY sensitive to things like this though. Like if I take one Sudafed I'm wired for days, one Benadryl, tired for two days, etc. My body just must be very receptive to stuff? Not sure...
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
I can assure you that pineapple does nothing. I ate an ENTIRE pineapple this week. nada. My friend ate THREE pineapples over 2 days at 41 weeks. nada. I am sure that theoretically, if you eat enough fresh (not canned) pineapple, you will get enough of the the promeliad chemical that helps to soften your cervix, but I think you'd have to eat about 7 in 24 hours.

I honestly don't think any of the food stories are worth anything. If a woman eats some magic pizza at 41 weeks or spicy food at 40 weeks and then goes into labor, it doesn't mean anything. And if you eat spicy food all the time (like I do), it is not going to cause an "upset stomach" which is what is supposed to throw you into labor (because bowel movements will irritate the uterus and cause contractions--same mechanics of castor oil).

I also think the longer you wait, the more likely something like sex or a membrane sweep is going to to have an effect. You are likely not ready to go before 40 or 41 weeks, and nothing is going to kick start anything.
Yeah, I've read something about to actually get enough of the enzyme or whatever in the pineapple is suppose to help, you'd have to eat an ENTIRE pineapple-like the core and peel and all.

I really think that all the "natural" induction stuff out there is only going to work if you are ready to go into labor and if it does work you probably would have gone into labor without them within a 24 hour period anyway. It's just more of something to "do" so you're not going completely insane just waiting, lol!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: June 2009
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › June 2009 › Anytime is Fine Now Baby!