or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › video games...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

video games... - Page 5

post #81 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
oh, and as far as the studies go: i don't think video games inherently cause problems. however, too much of a good thing turns into a bad thing in almost every case. i fail to see the good in video games because i do not enjoy them or see a purpose.
Not even adults only do things that have a purpose. For kids, even less of what they do really has a purpose. Tons of what kids do is just for fun. Is that really a goal for you - for everything they do to have a purpose?
post #82 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Not even adults only do things that have a purpose. For kids, even less of what they do really has a purpose. Tons of what kids do is just for fun. Is that really a goal for you - for everything they do to have a purpose?
no, but i also don't enjoy them...so the fun aspect isn't in it for me either.

i'm not really trying to convince anybody of anything or compel people to believe me.
post #83 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
no, but i also don't enjoy them...so the fun aspect isn't in it for me either.

i'm not really trying to convince anybody of anything or compel people to believe me.
Yeah and there's no reason to have them if you don't like them, for sure. I just sense a generalized negativity, I guess, and sometimes you verbalize it in ways that aren't making sense to me. But it isn't the specific issues that bother you - like for instance the unproductive nature of video games - you just generally don't like them. Is that right?
post #84 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
I went through something like this in university, on the internet in - 1992, where it was more of a text game addiction.
That wouldn't be a MU*ing addiction would it?
post #85 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Yeah and there's no reason to have them if you don't like them, for sure. I just sense a generalized negativity, I guess, and sometimes you verbalize it in ways that aren't making sense to me. But it isn't the specific issues that bother you - like for instance the unproductive nature of video games - you just generally don't like them. Is that right?
no, not really anything specific. i don't intend to shelter my kids from anything. i just don't want the games in my home. the fact that they can be addictive, are semi-unproductive, can lead to problems, etc...are kind of just added reasons. i know my kids' personalities, and i know that games just aren't for them. i don't think an inanimate object is inherently evil or causes certain things. it's what people do with them. and i don't think my kids are a good mix.
post #86 of 107
Thread Starter 
i just asked the question to get different perspectives.

incidentally, what does everyone think of this one?
post #87 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
i just asked the question to get different perspectives.

incidentally, what does everyone think of this one?
Interesting stuff. I'm going to think that over. As a former metalhead, who was told more than once that I must be a sociopath, because of my taste in music, it gives some food for thought.

I will admit that dh and I won't allow GTA in the house, but ds1 is welcome to play it elsewhere. We just don't want it around.
post #88 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Interesting stuff. I'm going to think that over. As a former metalhead, who was told more than once that I must be a sociopath, because of my taste in music, it gives some food for thought.

I will admit that dh and I won't allow GTA in the house, but ds1 is welcome to play it elsewhere. We just don't want it around.
i actually have this guy's book...he is a hardcore gamer. that blog was written 4 years ago i think. he works at lucasfilm now in the gaming department i am pretty sure.

stuff like this is why i don't immediately dismiss video games by saying they cause violence. that is a very naive thing to say. there are other things i don't like. it's the people that play them that determine their effects. however, i still don't like games nor do i want them in my home.
post #89 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post
That wouldn't be a MU*ing addiction would it?
Definitely.
post #90 of 107
We have Leapsters with Scholastic games for use in the car (trips of 2+ hours) and the very occasional use in the doctor/dentist waiting rooms. The kids know we don't play with them at other times, and don't ask.
post #91 of 107
Absolutely! They're harmless, my kids can regulate their time on them, they get plenty of physical exercise, and my oldest can type almost as fast as I can because of these games!

My 4 year old now enjoys Dora on the Wii - what a great tool for hand-eye coordination.

We love the video games here. I've just found some on the computer that my 17 month old can begin playing soon. As long as we get outside often, eat well, and regulate the time on them (we don't spend 9 hours straight on them, obviously!), the kids can have a great time with them. No harm!
post #92 of 107
I'm on the anti-video games side.

I disagree with the POV of the link you provided Benj.

What this guy is saying, I would pay more attention to...
TV plays a role in youth violence, expert says

Quote:
"The military conditions human beings to kill using simulators and social conditioning, but it does so with discipline," he said. "We are doing the same thing with video games to children without any of the safeguards."
Here is the gentleman's website:
Killology Research Group

So our son is 9. DH saw his firstborn (my 18 yr old stepson) get completely addicted to video games (tuned out his dad, the world, never developed his own, separate, authentic and useful interests) and we now think it's a colossal waste of time. (I know this is an extreme and there are exceptions of kids getting into computers and doing something constructive with it.)

So thankfully, DH and I agree we will not purchase any game units for home.

DS has neighbors with units and Wii's so he plays there. I used to say "no you can't play" but that didn't last long because DS felt left out. And then some of them use it to tease him "you can't play". It used to burn me up that our next door neighbor (awesome AP mom) has ZERO limits on TV (on all the time) and video game for her son and now I just let it go.

All I tell him is a) nothing violent and nothing rated for adults and b) be sensible - don't play for over an hour. Limit yourself to 30 minutes. Do the best you can. Don't play for hours on end. He gets it.

Those boys do get sucked in. A preschool teacher told me that she learned of some research (sorry I can't cite it) that when boys (especially) start playing video games, it doesn't help to teach their brains to PLAN AHEAD. It's all about immediate gratification. That is scary and not something I want to encourage in our home.

I don't even let my kids play computer games at home. (Again, I don't want them down the rabbit hole.) I would LOVE to find some sort of educational game, but really, I prefer real life.

Though I do concede that some computer programs have educational value. I get that.

So in order for it to be less of a "forbidden fruit" they do play when they are out (Chuckie Cheese - I HATE that they have violent games there - and of course DS wants to play them all) and the public library has computer consoles where the kids play and my DD will play Max and Ruby games.
post #93 of 107
Thread Starter 
I would disagree that violent video games inherently cause violence. Violence isn't a brand new thing and I don't think seeing violence is the problem. The more serious problem is that somewhere along the line, children see violence as a solution and a way to solve a problem and that's what's sending the bad message. I would prefer my kids to watch movies that are not violent and participate in non-violent things. But violence is part of the world we live in, and I cannot shelter them from that. Dylan Klebold (one of the Columbine shooters) grew up in a home where his mother previewed all his video games and movies and did not let him watch the ones that were deemed "too violent," his parents banned guns (even toy guns), both his parents were pacifists...anti-war, anti-violence, did not believe in spanking, etc. It is the people with the problems, not the inanimate objects they possess. However, as I've said, my sons and their personalities would not mix well with video games. I'm much more worried that they will get "sucked in" more than the violence issue. I much prefer the path that my older one is going on now where he is starting to get interested in different sports because it is something I enjoy as well.
post #94 of 107
Interesting. There were police officers that came to our son's school and said video games don't cause violent behavior. I believe them.

Frankly, if a kid gets a gun and shoots someone, something was wrong with him LOONNNG before he played Grand Theft Auto.

I grew up with the Lone Ranger and Road Runner. Never once did I want to get an Acme bomb and blow up someone.

It takes a sick person to kill or hurt someone. A video game cannot be held responsible. Just like "my mother beat me" or "my mother told me there's no Santa Claus" can't be a viable excuse in court either.

Crazy is as crazy does.

JMO, of course. Except for the police offers that said, NOPE. Not related!
post #95 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
Interesting. There were police officers that came to our son's school and said video games don't cause violent behavior. I believe them.

Frankly, if a kid gets a gun and shoots someone, something was wrong with him LOONNNG before he played Grand Theft Auto.

I grew up with the Lone Ranger and Road Runner. Never once did I want to get an Acme bomb and blow up someone.

It takes a sick person to kill or hurt someone. A video game cannot be held responsible. Just like "my mother beat me" or "my mother told me there's no Santa Claus" can't be a viable excuse in court either.

Crazy is as crazy does.

JMO, of course. Except for the police offers that said, NOPE. Not related!
True, people respond and react to situations different ways. I would honestly much rather have a violent person virtually killing people than he/she actually going out and committing the act.
post #96 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Not even adults only do things that have a purpose. For kids, even less of what they do really has a purpose. Tons of what kids do is just for fun. Is that really a goal for you - for everything they do to have a purpose?
This really hits home with me. When I was a teen I loved to read Regency Romances and teen mags. Completely worthless but fun. In fact I still read trashy mags for fun. I also read (and still do) tons of literature and good non-fiction.

I think even the trashy reading helped my SAT score (the books have a good vocabulary if nothing else )
post #97 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybethorama View Post
This really hits home with me. When I was a teen I loved to read Regency Romances and teen mags. Completely worthless but fun. In fact I still read trashy mags for fun. I also read (and still do) tons of literature and good non-fiction.

I think even the trashy reading helped my SAT score (the books have a good vocabulary if nothing else )
You know, my boy's vocabulary, typing, and reading skills all increased tenfold when they began playing online role-playing games. So there, they had a purpose. LOL
post #98 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybethorama View Post
This really hits home with me. When I was a teen I loved to read Regency Romances and teen mags. Completely worthless but fun. In fact I still read trashy mags for fun. I also read (and still do) tons of literature and good non-fiction.

I think even the trashy reading helped my SAT score (the books have a good vocabulary if nothing else )
well if you enjoy doing it, then that's it's purpose.

videogames i do not enjoy so they have no value to me.
post #99 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
Absolutely! They're harmless, my kids can regulate their time on them, they get plenty of physical exercise, and my oldest can type almost as fast as I can because of these games!

My 4 year old now enjoys Dora on the Wii - what a great tool for hand-eye coordination.

We love the video games here. I've just found some on the computer that my 17 month old can begin playing soon. As long as we get outside often, eat well, and regulate the time on them (we don't spend 9 hours straight on them, obviously!), the kids can have a great time with them. No harm!
Just out of curiousity...NOT attacking or anything...I just don't understand?

There's a ton of documented research that screen time at ALL prior to around age 3 is seriously detrimental to their verbal & cognitive development. How do you reconcile that with letting an 18mos baby play vgs?

I seriously don't want you to feel attacked at my asking, so it's genuinely NOT the intent.
post #100 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
well if you enjoy doing it, then that's it's purpose.

videogames i do not enjoy so they have no value to me.
So if your kids enjoy them, they'll have a purpose? As I recall, your kids are too young for you to know if they'll like video games or not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › video games...