or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › is it ever ok for toddler to be nude in public?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

is it ever ok for toddler to be nude in public? - Page 8

post #141 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Yeah - but there were a lot of people going to that beach precisely to buy (and sell) drugs. That tends to create an atmosphere that's not very friendly to children, yk?

But were the drug dealers naked?
post #142 of 153
Wonder where they keep their stash...
post #143 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Wonder where they keep their stash...
post #144 of 153
At the beach is fine. Backyard is fine. When I read the title I had thought you meant the grocery store or something like that.
post #145 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by momasana View Post
But were the drug dealers naked?
post #146 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleplum View Post
At the beach is fine. Backyard is fine. When I read the title I had thought you meant the grocery store or something like that.
DS1 did that once. I'd walked over to the grocery store with him when he was a little past his third birthday. While we were standing in line, he suddenly decided to strip. So, I was simultaneously trying to unload my grocery cart and keep his clothes on. This included asking the woman behind me, as politely as I could, for ds1's sock, which had landed in her shopping basket. He managed to get all the way down to his underwear. I then wrestled his clothes back on, while paying for my groceries...the accompaniment of many understanding, friendly and largely amused looks from my fellow shoppers.

(Then, we walked home, but I had to carry ds1, because he was being crazy. It was hot out. I'd decided to wear a little make-up that day. I got home to find that my ponytail was pulled half out on one side, I had eyeliner smeared almost to my hair on one side, and my lipstick was likewise smeared on the other side. It was an interesting day.)
post #147 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Of course they're buying it to look at the girls. However, you'll also note that girls in Playboy aren't innocently running down the beach or building a sand castle. That's the thing. Nudity, by itself, isn't really that titillating for many (most?) people. If it were, the poses in Playboy wouldn't be necessary, yk? It's not a magazine full of naked people going about their day...it's a magazine full of naked people, with unusually "good" bodies (by our cultural standards, anyway), airbrushed to "perfection", and striking very provocative poses. Playbody isn't about nudity - it's about sex.
I disagree. But I guess it just depends on how one looks at it. It's true that a sexual predator will hurt someone or look at someone no matter what they are wearing or not wearing, but that still doesn't make it okay in my mind to just let my child run naked for that reason alone. Seems silly to me actually to even use that type of reasoning.

I do know that I wouldn't allow my child to go naked in public at the age of 3 or the age of 13. It's all relative. It's my child and I just don't think it looks right. I wouldn't have anything against someone else doing it (never seen it done personally) but I don't agree with it. I'll just agree to disagree.
post #148 of 153
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but because there are so many sickos out there I wouldn't feel comfortable with my daughter being nude in public.
post #149 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Wonder where they keep their stash...
Perhaps it's best not to think about that one too much... stranger things've happened I guess... kopi luwak coffee


Oh yeah, back on topic. No, naked child on a beach wouldn't bother me, whatever the age. Walking through/in front of a wedding ceremony would seem a bit odd though, naked or no. I would rather a child streaker than an adult one at a wedding though!
post #150 of 153
We see naked kids (past toddler age, even, I'd guess 4-5 years) at our local splash park (not a swimming pool, but a play area with fountains) all the time. I wouldn't have any problem with my kid running around naked there if we'd forgotten a swimsuit, but we usually bring one. Same with the beach or backyards, but not for a wedding!
post #151 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
If the couple chose to get married on a public beach (sounds beautiful), then they have to accept people playing frisbee or being naked.... the "nakee" one could have been my DS or DD!
i agree. i accidentally interrupted a wedding in the woods going on my morning walk. i didn't know there was going to be a wedding. SO i just snuck by as best I could hoping not to interrupt...but I did watch as i passed, because weddings are so nice.

A lot of those people didn't plan on being on the beach and walking their nakee boy around a wedding. It just happened.

oh yeah and for the record my little guy (15 months) is nakey everywhere. he's nakey right now. and he was before when i was out pruning the hedges in my front yard.
post #152 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
I disagree. But I guess it just depends on how one looks at it. It's true that a sexual predator will hurt someone or look at someone no matter what they are wearing or not wearing, but that still doesn't make it okay in my mind to just let my child run naked for that reason alone. Seems silly to me actually to even use that type of reasoning.
It's not reason to allow children to go naked, it's the reason why the possiblity of a sexual predator is not a good enough excuse for some to stop their children from going naked at the beach.
post #153 of 153
Count me with those who don't really care but probably wouldn't let my own kid do it because of practical issues (sand, sunburn).

I would not let my own 5yo be naked in public, though. For me I think the line is at about 3/4. I can see changing this standard if we lived in a different country.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › is it ever ok for toddler to be nude in public?