or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Two random Q?s

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Well, today I am 40 weeks. I thought the full moon would work, but it just didn't pan out. So now I am obsessing every minute about when this baby will come, which is exactly what my MW told me NOT to do because worrying/obsessing can keep the baby IN, she says.

So two questions that have been floating in my mind lately....

1. I have really regular, strong BH contractions. They can last for a looong time. So how will "real" contractions feel? Will the suddenly be shorter, i.e. 30-45 seconds? I am used to my belly being rock hard for a few minutes, and the BH are pretty intense. I thought labor started small and gradually increased in intensity. So will my contrax seem to back off, and then gain? (KWIM?)

2. DH and I have been trying to walk to move the baby down, hopefully get labor closer. And normally when we walk, I contract a lot. (I am assuming they're BH, although I call them ALL BH, because I have no clue.) But I can't walk very far before my lower back starts to KILL ME with an intense pain. (I have two bulging discs in my low back, so I think this is what this is.) HOW can I move around to get this baby out when I can only go around the block?!?!?! : (Maybe this one is more of a vent than a question.)
post #2 of 25
I have constant BH contractions as well, and did with my previous pregnancy. I found the difference between BH and "real" contractions pretty obvious, although I can't tell you what it was now When I was in labor it was obvious.

Walking is difficult with constant BH. I know exactly what you mean. I don't do a lot of it, other than daily activities like shopping, cleaning, taking my son outside, etc. Baby will come out whether or not you can walk further than around the block
post #3 of 25
I"ve had lots and lots of BH and one "real" contraction. The "real" one was very different. All of a sudden my entire abdomen became rock hard and it hurt from the tightness (compared to say something pulling or menstrual cramps). I immediately needed to sit in a better position to be able to stand it, and then it stopped.

And didn't come back.

I can haz labor plz?
post #4 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
All of a sudden my entire abdomen became rock hard and it hurt from the tightness (compared to say something pulling or menstrual cramps).
This sounds like what I call BH. Then again, the degree of intensity can vary, and obviously there is no way to tell the diff between my "intense" contrax and yours. : Yes, I agree. Labor, please. That's really the only acceptable answer, right?
post #5 of 25
Sex is a great way to kick start things. Just saying.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
I have constant BH contractions as well, and did with my previous pregnancy. I found the difference between BH and "real" contractions pretty obvious, although I can't tell you what it was now When I was in labor it was obvious.
: trust me... you will KNOW!
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
2. DH and I have been trying to walk to move the baby down, hopefully get labor closer. And normally when we walk, I contract a lot. (I am assuming they're BH, although I call them ALL BH, because I have no clue.) But I can't walk very far before my lower back starts to KILL ME with an intense pain. (I have two bulging discs in my low back, so I think this is what this is.) HOW can I move around to get this baby out when I can only go around the block?!?!?! : (Maybe this one is more of a vent than a question.)
have you tried a birth ball? i can't walk too far either due to pubic symphisis, but sitting on the birth ball is supposed to be good for moving baby into the pelvis!
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
Sex is a great way to kick start things. Just saying.
Okay. If I have to. *sigh*

(This attitude is such a turn-on for DH, I'm sure.) I just can't get into it right now. My brain won't let me loosen up enough.

Is it a Really Bad Thing when the idea of taking castor oil is slightly more appealing than sex?
post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
: trust me... you will KNOW!
This is what my MW says, too. : It is so frustrating!!! How?!?!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerin View Post
have you tried a birth ball? i can't walk too far either due to pubic symphisis, but sitting on the birth ball is supposed to be good for moving baby into the pelvis!
Yes, I have one but haven't done anything with it yet. Last check the baby was at zero station. Would it move the baby down more?
post #10 of 25
I have loads of back problems, so walking would be out for me. What I can suggest, sounds a bit silly maybe but keeps you moving and still somewhat comfortable, is dancing in the shower. The hot water on your back helps relax muscles, and swaying hips can help baby wiggle their way down.
But, you said you have bulging discs, so maybe the heat won't help- you can always try ice packs strapped to your back with a scarf or something while you walk. Had to do that for a while some years back. Worth a shot.
I hope you find some relief soon, and that your LO decides to come out for you soon!
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
Sex is a great way to kick start things. Just saying.
We had a nice, active weekend Not because I really wanted to get things started, but between DH's illness two weeks ago and my 'rhoids which have finally subsided a bit, we've not been intimate at all. It was really nice to feel to emotionally close again. I *did* have a few different twinges low in my pelvis after each encounter this weekend but nothing that made me think labor was going to start.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmariev View Post
I have loads of back problems, so walking would be out for me. What I can suggest, sounds a bit silly maybe but keeps you moving and still somewhat comfortable, is dancing in the shower. The hot water on your back helps relax muscles, and swaying hips can help baby wiggle their way down.
I was going to suggest swimming.

And I know this may sound a little dramatic, but to me a a "real-this-is-labor-contraction" is like having a vice applied to the middle or your abdomen along with the absolute worst menstrual cramps you've ever experienced times 100. Of course, I don't have very painful contractions before labor, so maybe I miss out on the strong BH, but my experience is along the "you will KNOW" lines.
post #13 of 25
I've heard the "you will know" so many times, including from my midwife. The thing is, with her last baby she didn't even know she was in labor for like 24 hours because they weren't progressing. I have a friend who didn't know she was in labor until an hour before the baby is born.

Personally, I want more than an hours notice.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
I've heard the "you will know" so many times, including from my midwife. The thing is, with her last baby she didn't even know she was in labor for like 24 hours because they weren't progressing. I have a friend who didn't know she was in labor until an hour before the baby is born.

Personally, I want more than an hours notice.
In retrospect I was probably in labor the entire day before my son was born. And I did NOT know. But I DID know when it was obvious- five hours before he was born. I hope I get more than an hour's notice this time as well Especially as DH works 2 hours away most days. I just don't think there is a clear way to describe what labor feels like- and most women DO know
post #15 of 25
Real contractions don't cause my belly to get hard. Braxton hicks do. Feeling a really sharp pain in my lower pelvis/abdomen that comes and go in a rythmn of sorts is more of the real thing. They make me go inwards, harder to breathe and feels like heavy menstrual cramping. My first time around i had braxton hicks all the time but when they were real i had to stop and breathe through them and it hurt, not in a tight way but a crampy menstrual way. There was a very distinct difference and i knew for sure. Personally if i was in labor for 24 hours without really knowing it then awesome because that is 24 hours down with no pain!
post #16 of 25
You'll know it's real labor because a baby comes out at the end?
post #17 of 25
I don't mean to scare you, but sometimes you really don't know if it's real or not. This is my fourth and I *think* I'm in labor right now. With my last child, my real contractions were exactly like my BH ones- only difference was that they were regular at 3 mins apart when I called the doctor and asked if I should come in. I asked because they really didn't hurt! She said no. I decided to go in anyway and by the time I got there I was in pain because they increased so much in intensity.

My second child I walked into L&D at 7 centimeters dilated, talking through contractions.

My first I felt like I had bad constipation and the pain started in my back and radiated to my front (everyone says this is what realy contractions feel like, but this is the ONLY labor where I felt it in my back at all).

Right now I feel like I did with my first- constipation and contractions that are getting stronger. So hopefully this is it for me!

As for when you're really in labor, contractions will get closer together and stronger as time goes on! Good luck!
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
This is what my MW says, too. : It is so frustrating!!! How?!?!!?
I felt the same way with DS1.. everyone told me that they felt stronger than menstrual cramps... well, they felt NOTHING like menstrual cramps, and I suddenly could not function with them. That is when I knew for sure that I was having real labor contractions.

But, I went from having menstrual like cramps to full-blown labor contractions every 2 mins, instantly... with nothing in-between.
post #19 of 25
With real ctx as opposed to BH for me, there is pain like period cramps (but much much stronger), and my chest gets really tight like someone is squeezing me. plus the whole belly going rock hard, and sometimes accompanied by back pain. different for everyone though.
post #20 of 25
Yep, my midwife and my mom keep saying I'll know when it's the real thing.
I've personally experienced ones that are 1)just tightening where my abdomen gets rock hard but it doesn't hurt,
2)tightening where my abdomen gets rock hard and the whole thing cramps up and i have to get down on my hands and knees,
and 3)waves of what feels like bad period cramping.
Sometimes they go on for an hor or two and the only reason I ignore them is because they don't progress in intensity ykwim?
So, I'm super curious to see what the real thing is!

I second the birth ball suggestion, that's supposed to be real good for wiggling baby down into position.
I'm so sorry about your back pain!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: June 2009