or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Europe › UK › Cambridge Questions!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cambridge Questions!

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
I need some information about Cambridge as we might be moving there. What are the neighborhoods like? Ideally, I would love to live in a house with a garden in a central, walkable neighborhood. We homeschool/unschool, so I does not need to be in a good school district, but I would like to be close to families and kids - a family neighborhood. My husband will work in Barhill, but we don't have to live close - Cambridge seems small enough that work commute is not that big of an issue.

Any information about Cambridge would be greatly appreciated:

Also, a good online property finder for the area? We will be renting.

Thanks mamas
post #2 of 58
www.rightmove.co.uk is the most popular place for agents to advertise properties to let. Most other property portals have copies of the same adverts you find on rightmove.

I don't know Cambridge at all but you might find more good info from home educators who live round there. Many home ed groups have a Yahoo group for announcements activities and chat or Education Otherwise has a forum you could post on to ask about stuff. I just googled and found this group
post #3 of 58
Thread Starter 
Thank you:

I will start looking at the links, the righmove one was exactly what I was looking for

I was also wondering about the nearby villages. Are they wonderful, and how is homeschooling viewed in smaller villages? Are some "crunchier" than others, etc.
post #4 of 58
Hi!

I live in Cambridge atm but we are about to move away because it's just too expensive. But other then that, Cambridge rocks and I love it here! If it wasn't for the money, I would never leave.

Are you going to buy or rent? Because I guess that will make a huge difference. Cambridge has good and not-so-good areas, have you got any idea whereabout you would move?
post #5 of 58
Cambridge is my home town (although I live in Arizona right now ) but Cambridge is wonderful, houses are expensive as its such an up and coming place with all the Science parks around it, but the city itself is really wonderful.
post #6 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moi View Post
Hi!

I live in Cambridge atm but we are about to move away because it's just too expensive. But other then that, Cambridge rocks and I love it here! If it wasn't for the money, I would never leave.

Are you going to buy or rent? Because I guess that will make a huge difference. Cambridge has good and not-so-good areas, have you got any idea whereabout you would move?
Dh would work in Bar Hill, but we would not need to live there. Can you give me a lowdown on the good and not-so-good? Or the villages near by? We would be renting by the way.

And thanks for the info ladies
post #7 of 58
Honestly no-one gives a monkey's if you home educate or send you kid to school but you would have far more trouble getting your child into school so avoiding that by home educating is a good thing.

I'm not sure any villages are crunchy as such but you are more likely to find local produce, allotment land for growing your own veggies and someone will have hens and sell eggs for sure.

My aunt and uncle live in Colne which is a tiny village east of Huntingdon and north of Cambridge. They have lived there for about 30 years and have a huge garden, allotments close by where my uncle grows fantastic stuff, orchards across the road, a sailing club where my cousin learned to sail little Toppers and a friendly village pub called The Green Man.
post #8 of 58
I don't think there is a village you should avoid. I like them all . Plus I don't know much about villages as I'm in Cambridge atm. As for Cambridge, try to avoid council estates areas such as Arbury, Fen Ditton, parts of Chesterton. The best way to find out if the area is good or not is to check the schools (even if you want to homeschool). The Ofstead reports mention the area where the school is situated so if it says that its a area with low income and socialy deprived families, you should avoid it. On http://aboutmyplace.co.uk you will get the links to the ofstead reports (just search for the street/postcode and follow the links).

The generally good areas are: Cherry Hinton, Trumpington, Girton (posh!), Riverside,... (there are probably more but these ones I know).

Good luck!!
post #9 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moi View Post
I don't think there is a village you should avoid. I like them all . Plus I don't know much about villages as I'm in Cambridge atm. As for Cambridge, try to avoid council estates areas such as Arbury, Fen Ditton, parts of Chesterton. The best way to find out if the area is good or not is to check the schools (even if you want to homeschool). The Ofstead reports mention the area where the school is situated so if it says that its a area with low income and socialy deprived families, you should avoid it. On http://aboutmyplace.co.uk you will get the links to the ofstead reports (just search for the street/postcode and follow the links).

The generally good areas are: Cherry Hinton, Trumpington, Girton (posh!), Riverside,... (there are probably more but these ones I know).

Good luck!!
Thank you so much for the info
post #10 of 58
Hi. I just saw this thread, and since I live in Cambridge, I wondered if you need any more info? I live in one of the villages but used to live in town as a student. You can PM me if you want any advice - I'll help if I can!

I am American, BTW, if that helps, and have lived here for 15 years.
post #11 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Mom View Post
Hi. I just saw this thread, and since I live in Cambridge, I wondered if you need any more info? I live in one of the villages but used to live in town as a student. You can PM me if you want any advice - I'll help if I can!

I am American, BTW, if that helps, and have lived here for 15 years.
I'll send you pm
post #12 of 58
Thread Starter 
Are there any alterntive schools in the area? I saw a Waldorf. Does anyone know about homeschool networks or support?
post #13 of 58
We may be moving to Cambridge this summer!

Bente, are you there now?

UKmom, I am assuming you are still in the Cambridge area as well. I may be contacting you if that is ok.
post #14 of 58
Hi. I'm still here - ask away!
post #15 of 58
Thread Starter 
Just sold our house here in norway, and will spend the summer in texas with family before we land in Cambridge mid august

Lets stay in touch
post #16 of 58
It looks like we will be moving to the Cambridge area in August or September. DH will actually be working in Hinxton and does not drive so we need to be somewhere where he can bike or bus it to work, but we also want to be able to take advantage of everything that Cambridge has to offer. Any suggestions of where we should be looking for a place, UK Mom? I don't think we can afford to live in Cambridge proper - it looks pretty expensive.
We will probably come into Cambridge a couple of times before we move in order to scout out areas, so maybe we could meet up?
Bente - where in Texas are you going? I am from Austin and just spent a month there. It was hot and sunny almost every day. SO nice...
post #17 of 58
Hi, just had a look at Hinxton on the map, and I seem to think I've driven through it. There isn't much there, so unless you want to live in a very small village, you will want to look further afield. You would also need to check bus timetables to see what would work for your husband. All of the villages in the area are nice. Sawston, north of Hinxton, is a bit bigger, so has more amenities like shops. You could also look at Saffron Waldon, which is a small town. I don't know what house prices are like there, but anywhere in Cambridge or south of Cambridge is expensive.

Enjoy the sunny weather where you are, as Cambridge is not known for it's sunshine!!
post #18 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Leopard View Post
It looks like we will be moving to the Cambridge area in August or September. DH will actually be working in Hinxton and does not drive so we need to be somewhere where he can bike or bus it to work, but we also want to be able to take advantage of everything that Cambridge has to offer. Any suggestions of where we should be looking for a place, UK Mom? I don't think we can afford to live in Cambridge proper - it looks pretty expensive.
We will probably come into Cambridge a couple of times before we move in order to scout out areas, so maybe we could meet up?
Bente - where in Texas are you going? I am from Austin and just spent a month there. It was hot and sunny almost every day. SO nice...
Two Austinites in Cambridge!
I am from Austin too We will in Sugar Land outside of Houston where my sister lives, but we will spend lots of time in Austin too....I love that city

We will be in Cambridge June7-12, anyone want to meet up?
post #19 of 58
Wow, that's funny that you are from Austin too! That would be fun to meet up in Cambridge while you are there. I will let you know. Otherwise we will have to plan meetings for this fall!
How old are your kids, Bente and UK Mom? I have three sons age 11, 6 and 2 and a 9yo daughter. We are also homeschoolers.
post #20 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Leopard View Post
Wow, that's funny that you are from Austin too! That would be fun to meet up in Cambridge while you are there. I will let you know. Otherwise we will have to plan meetings for this fall!
How old are your kids, Bente and UK Mom? I have three sons age 11, 6 and 2 and a 9yo daughter. We are also homeschoolers.
We have two sons, age 9 and 6 and a 11 year old daughter. All homeschooled
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: UK
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Europe › UK › Cambridge Questions!