or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Make friends here!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Make friends here!!!! - Page 36

post #701 of 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Mama Doula View Post
Someone mentioned etsy...I LOVE hyenacart for my yarn and mama cloth.
I love hyeneacart too. but I make myself stay off of there!
post #702 of 1378
Thread Starter 
I am exhausted! First day of swim class was today and my routine has totally gone out the window plus I'm having to adjust to DD dropping her afternoon nap now. AAAAAAARRRGG!
post #703 of 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Hi mamas!

Hope you are all OK. Ernalala, that sounds so scary! Surely you get a say in something as important as that?

The police finally came round. I hope the birth cert for my son will finally be issued now :.
Regarding the last I do hope this issue will be over soon, and with a happy ending (I think you wanted to acquire 'x' nationality for him, right?).

As for the first, of course it's to be a family descision! But, if we would only think of ourselves, 3 of us would convincingly say NO DON'T GO! lol. That's why he 'asks' me to consider before further considering applying :-). It has come up a few times in the past but I must admit I always felt too upset/scared/reluctant to really consider this (with very small kids and our living situation). But now it came up again because I know he'd really want to apply for it at least once in his lifetime. It's humanitarian, civilian emergency aid. So yes, it could be dangerous. And it could mean leaving only 1-3 days later when such emergency happens and it's decided he's getting deployed. So a lot to swallow for us personally, and practically here at home. I can't even think of my kids' reaction, even though I already had a talk or 2 with my 5yo about people around the world sometimes needing help very badly and daddy maybe going to help out for a not so short while. He could somehow grasp the concept but of course not 'like' this idea very much.

I'm just thinking how to get to deal with things I've been (finally) planning to do with/for kids and for myself in the course of next year, too.
And I've always been dreading to going somewhere on my own with these two kids, since I feel they require TWO adults for outings (cfr. ds2 being very spirited/difficult to deal with!).
And there's just so much to think about and to arrange in advance. In a country where not everything is so obvious or easy to me.
I also dread the effect it may have on our children (and me ), especially on the little one who is very attached to his dad and is just learning to get a bit better about him leaving the house etc.
And of course the worry.
MK, do you have back-up there in case of personal emergency if I may ask?

And of course I know, single moms do this all of the time!

Otoh I would love dh to go, for the goodness of the act, the importance of relief, not wanting to stop him from what he feels he wants/needs to do. But I'm scared for all the consequences in our personal lives. And the possible suddenness. And it could be he's on a list but he won't be deployed at all, but I do not know how big the chance is he might be. And then anyway, he may apply again the next year! One reason he gave for doing it now, kids are a little bigger but not yet attending (obligatory) primary school, which is a period in our lives that would possibly allow more flexibility on my side in this kind of situation, still.
post #704 of 1378
Welcome new mammas:

Allright I was not online yesterday, but I caught my sister lurking on the forums, she makes me so proud. Also, my brother joined my sister here with his 6 kids. So DS is not going to be bored all these days.
So I had to make some delicious and healthy treats for 10 kids, can't deny that I'm enjoying myself.

DH has a month break, finally. We don't know what we are going to do or where we are going. But I guess we are staying here or maybe just we can go to a beach in Mexico that is 6 hours away in car. It seems like a good idea, and the last time we went DS had a blast. We can put some extra effort on TTC'ing
post #705 of 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
cupcakeladybug-thank you so much for sharing! diaper sewing isn't hard.

I am looking into buying a (professional) face painting kit as I plan to practice,then set up shop at various festivals and events. I can't wait!!!! :

You are more than welcome! Oooh face painting is awesome!

Welcome groovinmama!
post #706 of 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleo View Post
Welcome new mammas:

Allright I was not online yesterday, but I caught my sister lurking on the forums, she makes me so proud. Also, my brother joined my sister here with his 6 kids. So DS is not going to be bored all these days.
So I had to make some delicious and healthy treats for 10 kids, can't deny that I'm enjoying myself.

DH has a month break, finally. We don't know what we are going to do or where we are going. But I guess we are staying here or maybe just we can go to a beach in Mexico that is 6 hours away in car. It seems like a good idea, and the last time we went DS had a blast. We can put some extra effort on TTC'ing
That is great! Enjoy your vacation!

Mimi, I haven't seen you around in a while but then I haven't been online much so perhaps I missed you? Anyway, I hope you are OK!

Ernalala, yes, the nationality of the language we both speak . My lawyer said to go pick up the birth certificate in two days. How would people react to UC over where you are?

The issues you are facing with DH are very interesting, as they touch on all kinds of aspects of family life and personal calling, etc. I can understand his POV and wanting to do something for humanity, or whatever you would want to call that. When you are part of a family with children, is your first responsibility to those children? I think so. Would that mean that you have the obligation to not put yourself in danger intentionally? Well... that is where things get tricky I guess. My grandfather was part of the resistance against the Nazis in "that county" in the Second World War and he sure put himself in a lot of danger. But he played a part in ensuring freedom for future generations, including his own children. If everyone had put protecting their own relative safety and their children first, and not looked father than their own back yard, who knows what the outcome of the war would have been. I am political myself, so these are things that are very interesting to me. However, if my (non existent) husband was eager to leave for Iraq, I wouldn't like it one bit!
post #707 of 1378
Oh and if he does end up going, the life of a solo mom of two in a foreign country & culture is not... well... foreign to me. It currently works for us, but with older children am not sure I would want it to last forever. Attitudes to women AND children are a bit different here. Would you want to be stuck alone there with your kids for any length of time?
post #708 of 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Would you want to be stuck alone there with your kids for any length of time?
NO idea. Untill I experience it for real I maybe... Has not lasted longer than a week so far :-).
It's not that it's ALL still so foreign for me after quite some years. But there's things about official paperwork, schooling system, health care etc. I really do not know much about because of not growing up here, I think there is a huge difference regarding such systems in a culture/country you really grew up with/in and one you came to live at later on in life, you just do not 'know/understand' the system in the same sense, iykwım. So this also means it's not easy to deal with as a non-local.
post #709 of 1378
Good Morning, friends! Just a quick note before I head to the airport. I will be in RI and CT this week visiting parents and BFF (who has a 3 wk old- yay!). I probably won't be online much. We have many plans for hitting the beach, doing some gardening and canning, and lots of cuddle time with baby Lily.

Have a great week!
post #710 of 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
The issues you are facing with DH are very interesting, as they touch on all kinds of aspects of family life and personal calling, etc. I can understand his POV and wanting to do something for humanity, or whatever you would want to call that. When you are part of a family with children, is your first responsibility to those children? I think so. Would that mean that you have the obligation to not put yourself in danger intentionally? Well... that is where things get tricky I guess. My grandfather was part of the resistance against the Nazis in "that county" in the Second World War and he sure put himself in a lot of danger. But he played a part in ensuring freedom for future generations, including his own children. If everyone had put protecting their own relative safety and their children first, and not looked father than their own back yard, who knows what the outcome of the war would have been. I am political myself, so these are things that are very interesting to me. However, if my (non existent) husband was eager to leave for Iraq, I wouldn't like it one bit!
One thing playing here may be a cultural aspect. Even though, by accustoming here, I pretty much got the hang of 'seize the day' and last-minute flexibility, for these kind of things I believe it needs as much in advance planning/thinking as possible!!! I dread for dh not to grasp this need for me to have things 'arranged' as totally as I do, and what I really need is his co-operation for getting everything arranged enough in advance for us 3 to have it as comfortable/easy as possible (so a lot of practicalities, things needing to bbe arranged, me performing tasks he was mostly doing before, and gettibng a hang of that new task load/routine together with my present one) in case he needs to leave. We should really plan this, because having only 1-3 days, these days are not meant for such stuff as 'at home arrangements' but for preparinging his 'duty' and saying goodbyes.

I guess this time I'll say ok, but ONLY if he cooperates as much as he can in the next two months to make arrangements regarding our life here in that situation or I (stress the I) won't survive here. I guess I'll need to look into another thread when it actually would come to this point, to find moms who have experience with similar situations.

I so hope it won't be Iraq or Afghanistan or Darfour or ... . But truth is, where people are most needy, help is most urgent, too! And if noone would want to do any relief work, what kind of world is this? So yes, from that point of view he MUST go.

And, I was the one saying to myself 'I should at least TRY to go and live there, and do it NOW or I'll ALWAYS regret I never had the guts to do it' :-)))) So I know dh has this same thing about doing such a mission, so who am I to stop him every time it comes up, it will sure fire back at me if I would veto his 'chance'!

So as much courage as he has and needs for such a commitment, I'll need to find the courage to let it happen and deal with it, too :-).
post #711 of 1378
:
post #712 of 1378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernalala View Post
So as much courage as he has and needs for such a commitment, I'll need to find the courage to let it happen and deal with it, too :-).
You may also learn a lot about yourself and grow as a person and a mother. These sort of challenges are helpful in teaching us what we are really capable of.
post #713 of 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
You may also learn a lot about yourself and grow as a person and a mother. These sort of challenges are helpful in teaching us what we are really capable of.
One time when he was abroad our car got stolen the first night, yippie.
He says the real chance for deployment when registered is not even very high, yet always possible (and it would not apply beyond 2010). So my selfish little me is getting more relaxed about it.
post #714 of 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
You may also learn a lot about yourself and grow as a person and a mother. These sort of challenges are helpful in teaching us what we are really capable of.
: I totally agree - I haven't been there, but I find much more strength in myself to take care of my three little ones when my husband is unreachable. You just know what you have to do.
post #715 of 1378
We had a lovely Indian lunch made by another MDC mama today :. She is over here for a long holiday, but I think she is headed back for India soon, unfortunately. It was really nice meeting someone else with similar views though . And really strange to find several MDC mamas here ... of all places!
post #716 of 1378
Ernalala, I think it is very... what would the word be...? Flexible/noble/understanding of you to think about your DH's wish to do the mission like that. At least he knows that you are taking his dreams seriously, which must be a good place to be for him. How does he feel about being away from you and his sons for a long time? Actually, how long do these trips usually take? What about the rate of accidents/deaths among the relief workers?
post #717 of 1378
Thread Starter 
MMD, so how do we actually Read Your Blog?
post #718 of 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
MMD, so how do we actually Read Your Blog?
Yeah, I have seen "read my blog" smilies around and was wondering the same, since they are not clickable!
post #719 of 1378
Thread Starter 
Anyone watching the MJ tribute? We're TV free ( and I've tried watching it online but our internet is too slow.
post #720 of 1378
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Yeah, I have seen "read my blog" smilies around and was wondering the same, since they are not clickable!
Glad to know I'm not the only one who's been clicking the little thing in vain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Connect With Other Moms
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Make friends here!!!!