or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Harry potter... do you ever wonder???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Harry potter... do you ever wonder??? - Page 9

post #161 of 255
Completely nit-picky here:

In PoAz. Hermione gets crookshanks and all throughout the book it seemed like he was more than just a cat. I was convinced he was an animagas for a long time.

On some website later I read "Oh know, he's just a kneazle". Well how in the hell was I supposed to know that from the books?
post #162 of 255
Thread Starter 
with all the protection around howgwarts how is it that sirius (or anyone else) can use floo powder to talk to harry from the gryffindor common room? and if sirius can do that why can't he or anyone else just come all the way into the common room. and can the kids use floo powder to go the other direction?
post #163 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
with all the protection around howgwarts how is it that sirius (or anyone else) can use floo powder to talk to harry from the gryffindor common room? and if sirius can do that why can't he or anyone else just come all the way into the common room. and can the kids use floo powder to go the other direction?
Maybe all Gryf. alumni can come visit if they tried?
post #164 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
Completely nit-picky here:

In PoAz. Hermione gets crookshanks and all throughout the book it seemed like he was more than just a cat. I was convinced he was an animagas for a long time.

On some website later I read "Oh know, he's just a kneazle". Well how in the hell was I supposed to know that from the books?
Good question. You mean it's never mentioned in the book?

=========

Edited to say, I found this from JKR's web site, Rumors page:

Quote:
Crookshanks is an Animagus

No, he's not, but he's not pure cat either. If you buy Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (all royalties to Comic Relief, which means you're helping some of the poorest children around the world) you might just be able to work out what Crookshanks really is.
So, besides the seven HP story books, there are the two HP-related books, JKRs web site, and her many interviews that you can get information from.

Is that 'fair'? Yes and no. In the time after HBP was released, before Deathly Hallows was released, speculation and predicting became a competitive sport. Well, I certainly got caught up in it. So it got annoying when JKR contradicted her books or her web site in interviews. And can you even count interviews as official? Are they canon-worthy??

Where's that nerd smilie?
post #165 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Good question. You mean it's never mentioned in the book?
I can't remember if it was said straight out in POA that Crookshanks was a kneazle or not, but I do remember Sirius saying "that's no ordinary cat".
post #166 of 255
One more thing, I absolutely love nit-picking.
post #167 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
I can't remember if it was said straight out in POA that Crookshanks was a kneazle or not, but I do remember Sirius saying "that's no ordinary cat".
when I read the beastiary book, I think that was when I put it together..
post #168 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Good question. You mean it's never mentioned in the book?

=========

Edited to say, I found this from JKR's web site, Rumors page:



So, besides the seven HP story books, there are the two HP-related books, JKRs web site, and her many interviews that you can get information from.

Is that 'fair'? Yes and no. In the time after HBP was released, before Deathly Hallows was released, speculation and predicting became a competitive sport. Well, I certainly got caught up in it. So it got annoying when JKR contradicted her books or her web site in interviews. And can you even count interviews as official? Are they canon-worthy??

Where's that nerd smilie?
I think interviews are considered cannon unless the information goes against what is in the book.
post #169 of 255
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamnEmma View Post
And Slughorn accepted lower OWL scores than Snape, so even though Harry would not have been able to go on to NEWTS had Snape been teaching, he was able to because Slughorn had taken over Potions. He had earned a high enough OWL in defense against the dark arts that Snape had to accept him into that class for NEWTS.
i always likes how that worked out

so did harry ron and hermione go back to school after book 7? i mean they needed to take NEWTS and stuff right?

p.s. i am watching order of the Phoenix right now
post #170 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
i always likes how that worked out

so did harry ron and hermione go back to school after book 7? i mean they needed to take NEWTS and stuff right?

p.s. i am watching order of the Phoenix right now
I did too. I've always presumed that the trio's on-the-job training, so to speak, likely earned them spots without formal educational completion. They'd kind of proved themselves knowledgeable in multiple wizarding aspects and fields. It'd be a good question for JKR, if it hasn't already been asked--and it's probably been asked somewhere.
post #171 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
so did harry ron and hermione go back to school after book 7? i mean they needed to take NEWTS and stuff right?

p.s. i am watching order of the Phoenix right now
DD and I were talking about this. We were wondering if everyone didn't get to retake the year since it was taken over and kids were being tortured and such. I can't imagine anyone would perform well under those circumstances, ya know?
post #172 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanelleB View Post
DD and I were talking about this. We were wondering if everyone didn't get to retake the year since it was taken over and kids were being tortured and such. I can't imagine anyone would perform well under those circumstances, ya know?
I'm not sure they even did OWL or NEWT exams, given the circumstances. I imagine everyone had the chance to repeat the year, because kids like Neville and Luna would have needed to finish their learning even though they had been at Hogwarts that year. It's just a guess though, I have no support for that claim!
post #173 of 255
Thread Starter 
last night i couldn't sleep and was taking harry potter trivia quizzes
post #174 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Aren't laws in the real world essencially set up like that in the real world? I mean they can't have a police officer on every single underaged person to make sure they don't drink. They have to rely on the parents to control their kids. Why should wizarding families be exempt from being parents, and why should people with more then one kid be exempt from keeping an eye on all of them?
Sure they are, but then why have the whole "detected magic" thing at all? The Ministry does try to have a police officer on each person, in the form of their tracking spell or whatever.

Quote:
(P.S. I believe it was mentioned in one book that Fred and George did get a warning from the ministry for underaged magic and Mrs. Weasley was furious with them, so wizard born children aren't immune.)
Then, the scene with Dobby should have never happened. That's what started me on this in the first place. How can the Ministry tell that Fred & George are doing underage magic, in a house full of people doing magic...but the Ministry can't tell that it was a house elf (or whoever), not Harry, who cast the hover charm? They can either track who uses the magic (so Harry would never have received the warning), or they can't (so Fred & George would never have received their warning).
post #175 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Then, the scene with Dobby should have never happened. That's what started me on this in the first place. How can the Ministry tell that Fred & George are doing underage magic, in a house full of people doing magic...but the Ministry can't tell that it was a house elf (or whoever), not Harry, who cast the hover charm? They can either track who uses the magic (so Harry would never have received the warning), or they can't (so Fred & George would never have received their warning).
I was nodding away in agreement and then I came up with the answer.

You see, they actually track ADULT wizards. So what they sensed was magic being used by an unauthorized person. Harry was personally warned because he was the only wizard in the house at all. For Fred and George, what probably happened is the Weasleys were given a warning and told to keep control of their kids.

And change all the above to : if we're certain that F/G got warnings specifically addressed to them.
post #176 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Sure they are, but then why have the whole "detected magic" thing at all? The Ministry does try to have a police officer on each person, in the form of their tracking spell or whatever.


Then, the scene with Dobby should have never happened. That's what started me on this in the first place. How can the Ministry tell that Fred & George are doing underage magic, in a house full of people doing magic...but the Ministry can't tell that it was a house elf (or whoever), not Harry, who cast the hover charm? They can either track who uses the magic (so Harry would never have received the warning), or they can't (so Fred & George would never have received their warning).
Hey, the ministry is bound to get something right at some point.... Maybe all the other weasleys were out of the house at the time.
post #177 of 255
Wouldn't you assume it was Fred and George if you were the M.O.M.?

post #178 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
And did anyone else absolutely hate that Rowling didn't list out the order of the potions? It was like "awww, not enough information to solve the puzzle"
Yup, it bugged me too. I wonder, though, if JKR did put that information into the manuscript, but the editors decided not to include it.

I also wonder if that information would have been included if this had been the 2nd or later book, AFTER HP became so popular. Similarly, I doubt "Philosopher's Stone" would have been changed to "Sorcerer's Stone" if it wasn't the first book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
And can you even count interviews as official? Are they canon-worthy??
I consider that to be canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
One more thing, I absolutely love nit-picking.
I HATE combing nits out of children's hair!

I do, however, thoroughly enjoy looking over the small details in fictional works.
post #179 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
so did harry ron and hermione go back to school after book 7? i mean they needed to take NEWTS and stuff right?
I have read that certain people did go back to repeat the year. According to Harry Potter Wikia (a site compiling all the canon sources) in the article about Hermione, it says:

In 1998, Hermione went back to Hogwarts to attain her N.E.W.Ts.[11] She was the only one of the trio to do this.

It has sources at the bottom, but I feel like I remember JKR saying something about it, but since I don't have a source, don't quote me on that
post #180 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
And did anyone else absolutely hate that Rowling didn't list out the order of the potions? It was like "awww, not enough information to solve the puzzle"
Yes, that bugged me majorly!


And I'm going to adress some of these old ones now, bc I'm at this point in the HBP now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
and he took potions b/c he wanted to be an auror ... which he couldn't be w/o potions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
there was something in one of the books (7 i think) that made me think dumbledore wasn't letting snape fail harry... i don't have my copy of book seven so i can't check... now this is going to bug me
Harry got an OWL pass grade in Potions, and since Slughorn took over the class and he allowed ppl in with E, Harry could go on to the NEWT level class. Snape only allowed ppl with O in his potions class, so Harry didn't think he could go on, but McGonagall said he could bc of Slughorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Honestly, if Neville passed potions, they may as well close Hogwarts and send everyone home. (..) And...I can't figure out why Crabbe and Goyle were moving ahead, either. Not everybody is going to pass - and Crabbe, Goyle & Neville were among the most likely candidates to fail, for various reasons (Neville, mostly due to nerves...Crabbe & Goyle, because they really weren't very bright).
Neville, Crabbe & Goyle didn't get the required OWL to continue into the NEWT potions class.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
My question was, what if only 3 students (that happen to be 7th year students) don't pass their exams? Do they become a class of just three students (someone mentioned previously that different year students did not join in classes together- for example first years would not be with fourth years, etc) so what happens when someone doesn't pass their exams but still wants to?
The ones that didn't pass to get into NEWT potions calss for instance, would either have a free period or take a different class when potions are going. But there are smaller classes of the NEWT potions/other subjects, bc there are many that didn't pass ya know.
Hermione and Harry & Ron sometimes have different classes and free periods when the others are in class (well, Harry & Ron are in all the same) in the 6th year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
(..) for some reason they have no classes with ravenclaw
Yes, they do. 6th year, NEWT classes. NEWT potions class are 1 Hufflepuff, 4 Ravenclaws, 4 Slytherins and 3 Gryffindors.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Books, Music, and Media
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Harry potter... do you ever wonder???