or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › April 2009 › chat for Monday/22nd through Sunday/28th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

chat for Monday/22nd through Sunday/28th

post #1 of 103
Thread Starter 
I just realized it was a new week! Be back in a minute with my post.
post #2 of 103
Thread Starter 
My oldest two children woke up today with a cold. : I know Julian is getting it, no runny nose yet but he is cranky and sleeping all day already. He will be 2 months old on the 25th, I am surprised that he wasn't ill before this. My middle child has respiratory issues and is a magnet for every germ out there, she is usually sick every other week but was having a good spell for a while.



Yesterday I discovered that he likes to nap in the bassinet (that has never been used until then!) in one of darkened bedrooms downstairs. We have blackout blinds in the rooms, if I put the bassinet anywhere else then he instantly wakes up. Course now that he is going to be sick, I'm sure that I won't be putting him down this week.
post #3 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
My oldest two children woke up today with a cold. : I know Julian is getting it, no runny nose yet but he is cranky and sleeping all day already.
Sorry for the sickies! Hope everyone gets better soon. That's great on figuring out the dark bassinet sleepy...I always think "why didn't I try that before?" Thanks for starting the thread!

Kate: We have 2 kiddootamus but can only find one and I can't even find that one right now...though havn't looked really hard. Better look for them! I think you should invent one of those wings with bloomers, I'd buy it! Havn't used those dipes but they sound neat.

For those who pump...I just pumped my first 5 oz! I want some in the freezer for just incase somethin happens to me, hospitalization, or death (crazy I know but I'm wierd like that) then she can have as much as I have and go gradually to formula. Also possibly to use to mix baby food with later. Anyway how important is it to buy the actual EBM storage bags? I pumped into a bottle with a drop in liner, can I just twist tie the liner and seal it in a plastic bag and put in freezer? How long can EBM be stored? Any other info I need to know. Oh and I feel sooo good having my breasts fully emptied, I'm not sure LO ever fully empties them.....

So havn't used the wrap in a long time, just got it out again and Lo is asleep, I forgot how much I do like having her snug against me sometimes...I think it's a tie between mei tai and the wrap... glad I have both!
post #4 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
.I think it's a tie between mei tai and the wrap... glad I have both!
I like the (unintended?) pun here.

I need to sew up a mei tai. Its something I want to do when I get back from a trip next weekend. I want to sew them up for a couple of other friends as baby gifts too, so I hope I can get that going.

Thursday is my birthday, something I don't care all that much about but what I asked for is to get my family support to do work this weekend, so... we are doing something CRAZY and driving all the way up to the bay area so I can go to a workshop over the weekend- I plan to attend w/ baby in the wrap . DS and DH will roam around and have some adventures together, I think we can all stay together at the retreat site, but if not we can stay at my cousin's apartment- unfortunately she'll be out of town. Those two really need some dad-boy time, they have been arguing so much lately its driving me crazy and making me think seriously about looking for a counselor (for me and DH, to deal with handling stress and anger... he unfortunately comes from a family where his dad has incredible anger issues and the two of them fought tooth and nail all his childhood, it is devastating to think of him repeating this with his own son just b/c he can't get out of the emotional patterns, I need to find someone AP-oriented though.).

I am so annoyed- DH did exactly NO housework yesterday (supposedly we clean the house together on the weekends). My to-do list is so long and boring. I've been at it for over 3 hours already and I'm nowhere near finished (washed and hung out sheets and diapers, made breakfast and cleaned it up, tidied and vacuumed the living room. sigh). Luckily baby sleeps in the wrap all morning.

Kate- you've got to figure out the ring sling and the moby! Is there a babywearing playgroup or something? (we have one here though I'm too shy and too busy to ever go...) they are such lifesavers and there are tons of ways to use the ring sling- you might just find you like it better when Eden is older though. I didn't sew mine for myself until my son was 1 year old, and I used it constantly for the year from 1-2. But now I use it frequently with this baby- not as much at home (wrap is so much more comfy) but its so easy to grab it and go... so it comes out with us all the time.

Shine: I hope you get a good answer about BM. I bought a stack of those BM storage bags w. DS and I still have some around that I am using. However, right now I've been trying to leave a fresh BM bottle if I am going out for a bit (she's had 3 so far). I have started building a freezer stash. My mom was a SAHM but she said she always felt better to have a "six-pack" in the freezer, just felt like she COULD go somewhere if she needed, or yes, if something like an emergency happened there was at least a days worth of BM available. She used to freeze it in little glass jars (as long as you leave some "head space" they didn't crack in the freezer). Speaking of which- maybe I'll pump a couple ounces right now- baby has been sleeping in the wrap for 2 1/2 hours.

Happy week everyone!
post #5 of 103
I think I'll go to diaperswappers and look for a mei tai, thanks for the suggestion! (Even though it wasn't meant for me...lol!)

Well lo has been asleep for 2 hours, and gave me a chance to get some work done, but my house is a wreck. I couldn't do anything all weekend but walk her and bounce her. The fever is gone for now at least. BLAH.

I hate when DH does no housework. All I wish for at this point is for him to pick up after himself.

Kate, I finally got the tummy to tummy thing in the ring sling...it took several tries and my sisters help...the thing for me was to tighten the edges up as tight as possible, not just pull the whole thing tight...

BM storage-the LC gave me a magnet...It says, BM in the fridge for 3 days, in the fridge-freezer for 3-4 months, and in a deep freezer for 6-12 months. Never refreeze thawed BM, and use thawed BM within 24 hours. I don't see anything special about these BM storage baggies...the only thing I think I would watch for is freezer burn?? I don't know. They gave me some storage containers and I have used those...I keep forgetting to put it in the baggie when it's warm, and then I would have to heat it up to transfer the fat to the baggies too, since it sticks to the sides when it seperates. I hope that helps!
post #6 of 103
oh and shine...i feel the same way about having BM in the freezer. At least she could eat until someone thought to get formula...lol not funny, but i did think about it too...

this lo seems to only sleep soundly in 3 places, your arms (but not always) the carseat (but not always, she has to be full and changed and tired for this to even have a chance) or the recliner where we sleep at night. I just had to move her there because she was fidgety in my arms, but she's been sound asleep for over 2 hours there now, which might be a record of some sort...I keep looking for breath...
post #7 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
For those who pump...I just pumped my first 5 oz! I want some in the freezer for just incase somethin happens to me, hospitalization, or death (crazy I know but I'm wierd like that) then she can have as much as I have and go gradually to formula. Also possibly to use to mix baby food with later. Anyway how important is it to buy the actual EBM storage bags? I pumped into a bottle with a drop in liner, can I just twist tie the liner and seal it in a plastic bag and put in freezer? How long can EBM be stored? Any other info I need to know. Oh and I feel sooo good having my breasts fully emptied, I'm not sure LO ever fully empties them.....
I think I would be leery about using other plastic bags, just because of thinking what might be in them, or worrying about them leaking. But I hate plastic, anyway. I pump into glass baby bottles and freeze in there. You could also use canning jars that have been sterilized.

emma & goodmama....I really want to figure out the ring sling. There is a group I've heard about that meets at a local herb/natural supplement shop. I'll have to stop in and see when they meet.

A stupid FLY woke the baby up from her nap today. ugh. It's one of those super annoying ones that just keeps coming back to the same spot over and over. I've been trying to kill it for a week. Luckily, she went back to sleep.

So sprry about the sick babies. I'm not looking forward to the first cold around here!
post #8 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
BM storage-the LC gave me a magnet...It says, BM in the fridge for 3 days, in the fridge-freezer for 3-4 months, and in a deep freezer for 6-12 months. Never refreeze thawed BM, and use thawed BM within 24 hours. I don't see anything special about these BM storage baggies...the only thing I think I would watch for is freezer burn?? I don't know. They gave me some storage containers and I have used those...I keep forgetting to put it in the baggie when it's warm, and then I would have to heat it up to transfer the fat to the baggies too, since it sticks to the sides when it seperates. I hope that helps!
I got the same info on BM-storage from the public health nurse. Also, I did not buy any special bags for storing milk. I use normal freezer bags and I fold them up so that I can get as much BM as possible in my freezer. I'd love to use glass bottles instead, but buying enough bottles would be too expensive.

I'm working this afternoon, and while that is going quite well, I've been worried about DS since I got here. Of course, he's in good hands with DH, but I still had to call to make sure. I guess I need to get over my separation anxiety...
post #9 of 103
I have been having major problems getting the LO to nap. I think I figured out the problem--he wil NOT nap if I put him down. I've tried the carseat, bouncy seat, swing, nursing down on the bed, the pack-n-play on vibration, and the crib. He will nap in a carrier, but will only stay asleep for 5-10 minutes at a time if I talk, if ODS is awake, or if I bend or reach at all. So with a 22 month old that sometimes refuses to nap, what do I do? I have been stuck walking the house or swaying during ODS's nap and got nothing done and couldn't even eat b/c anytime I went to reach or bend for food, LO cried.
post #10 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post
I have been having major problems getting the LO to nap. I think I figured out the problem--he wil NOT nap if I put him down. I've tried the carseat, bouncy seat, swing, nursing down on the bed, the pack-n-play on vibration, and the crib. He will nap in a carrier, but will only stay asleep for 5-10 minutes at a time if I talk, if ODS is awake, or if I bend or reach at all. So with a 22 month old that sometimes refuses to nap, what do I do? I have been stuck walking the house or swaying during ODS's nap and got nothing done and couldn't even eat b/c anytime I went to reach or bend for food, LO cried.
will your older boy wake up if the house is noisy? over the weekend i think i realized that i was being to quiet at nap time when dd and i are home alone. so today i made a ton of noise and she went right to sleep in the swing. maybe if ods is sleeping white noise would help lo and not disturb brother's nap? or music? GL!
post #11 of 103
I have an aventi pump, so I like to get the storage containers that I can pump directly into and freeze. They come 8 or 10 to a box and can be reused several times before recycling.

Haven't done much pumping yet, though I'll need to figure it out before I'm back to work in September. Right now, I'm leaning toward arranging for (and paying for) a spot in a home daycare, but taking her to work with me on days when I don't have a heavy teaching load. We'll see... I was so lucky with dd1; didn't have to put her into daycare until she was 9 months old.
post #12 of 103
From yesterday:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmomma76 View Post
I'm interested to hear how you guys are tightening lower abs. I had a CS 15 years ago, and never got them tight...but I didn't really try either, I could have worked at it, but I just dieted and didn't exercise....
I've been wondering the same thing. I read that leg lifts and pelvic tilts primarily train the lower abs, so I've been doing those. I also do crunches. Supposedly, walking works the lower abs too, if you walk briskly. Oh, and swimming uses all the muscles of the body; leg kicks would probably be most efficient, though.
post #13 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
My oldest two children woke up today with a cold. : I know Julian is getting it, no runny nose yet but he is cranky and sleeping all day already. He will be 2 months old on the 25th, I am surprised that he wasn't ill before this. My middle child has respiratory issues and is a magnet for every germ out there, she is usually sick every other week but was having a good spell for a while.
I am sure you know this already but breastmilk should be very protecting for Julian, so the more he nurses the better! Friday I went to hear a brief talk by a great herbalist locally on the topic of supporting our childrens' optimal health naturally, and she urged that a nursing mom should try to strengthen her own immune system when there are sicknesses going around so that the benefits will be felt by baby too. Specifically she said to greatly increase taking probiotics and eating fermented foods, to take echinacea and astralugus (she suggested cooking the latter right into soups or broths, I guess you can get it as a dried root and it is very mild-tasting), also plenty of garlic and onions. Also, just good nutrition and plenty of rest. (ha, not so easy when parenting several young kids, esp sick ones). Nothing like a "magic bullet" but the same sort of good advice we already know about I guess.

FWIW my son was extremely sick for about a week and baby and I didn't get it. He was also sick when she was 2 weeks old and she came through unscathed. Too bad I went to the talk AFTER my son was better but its good to know for next time, and I guess my immunities did their job anyway.

Also she said- and I've heard this before- to try and avoid using those bulb suction things for stuffy noses and instead to use a few drops of saline solution or breastmilk to help clear it up.
post #14 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
I am sure you know this already but breastmilk should be very protecting for Julian, so the more he nurses the better! Friday I went to hear a brief talk by a great herbalist locally on the topic of supporting our childrens' optimal health naturally, and she urged that a nursing mom should try to strengthen her own immune system when there are sicknesses going around so that the benefits will be felt by baby too. Specifically she said to greatly increase taking probiotics and eating fermented foods, to take echinacea and astralugus (she suggested cooking the latter right into soups or broths, I guess you can get it as a dried root and it is very mild-tasting), also plenty of garlic and onions. Also, just good nutrition and plenty of rest. (ha, not so easy when parenting several young kids, esp sick ones). Nothing like a "magic bullet" but the same sort of good advice we already know about I guess.

FWIW my son was extremely sick for about a week and baby and I didn't get it. He was also sick when she was 2 weeks old and she came through unscathed. Too bad I went to the talk AFTER my son was better but its good to know for next time, and I guess my immunities did their job anyway.

Also she said- and I've heard this before- to try and avoid using those bulb suction things for stuffy noses and instead to use a few drops of saline solution or breastmilk to help clear it up.
Yeah, I hate booger suckers aka the bulb, I never use them. We'll see if he gets it or not. I've bf all my kids for years, still nursing the middle one as well, and while I know BM has decreased the severity of illnesses we've had, it certainly hasn't prevented any for my kids. I have to count how many weeks Gabrielle has NOT been ill instead of how many times she has been sick.


So DH left at lunchtime for a 9 day trip with my dad. I will survive. Right? The baby isn't the problem, neither is the 2.5y old, but the 6y isn't an easy child. At the end of the day, I'm wiped out and needing a break from her. I tried to beg my mom to come and spend a few nights with us but it was a no go. Sigh.
post #15 of 103
peony you will survive, i'm sure of it!! hope it's not too tough!
post #16 of 103
Parker started daycare today. The center is conveniently right upstairs from where I work... so I was up there every 2 hours to BF him. It was so nice to hold him after being away....
I'm just worried about "germs" LOL... good thing I'm BF-ing...

I'm also a little skeeved with the swing/bouncy chair items in the room. I "sheepishly" asked that they put a blanket down before putting him down on anything. The women in the room were VERY nice about it.

He was great all day.... I think I was more stressed than he was...lol. Still getting used to not being able to stare at him whenever I want - I have video saved on my cell phone that I can watch while I'm at work if I ever start to really miss him.... it just breaks my heart that my special time alone with him at home is over....


12 weeks tomorrow! OMG!
post #17 of 103
Racie - my LO hardly naps either. He is getting slightly better about it but he is such a cat napper and wakes up almost always as soon as I put him down. I know how trying it can be and can only imagine how tough it would be with a toddler too

s to all the Mamas starting work. I'm very fortunate to be able to take the summer off and be able to look for part time work at first.
post #18 of 103
Kim, that's so cool that there's a daycare in your building, but so sad that the 12 weeks went so fast. we really need an extended maternity leave in this country! i'm with you on the germ thing...dh works in a daycare and i don't let the kids touch anything but her feet!
post #19 of 103
Parker just woke up with a super stuffy nose....

I'd seriously be po'd if he got a cold his first day at daycare.... for REAL.

about 45 minutes to get him back to sleep.... something's up.
:
post #20 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
Parker just woke up with a super stuffy nose....

I'd seriously be po'd if he got a cold his first day at daycare.... for REAL.

about 45 minutes to get him back to sleep.... something's up.
:
crap
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2009
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › April 2009 › chat for Monday/22nd through Sunday/28th