or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kingsport, JC, or Bristol Tenn - Page 2

post #21 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by branm View Post
Oh that is frustrating! I know it will be hard but you can refuse the us if they are only checking the baby's size. You can also refuse to scedule a cs if they are only advising it due to size. Have you ever checked out babycenter.com? They have a VBAC board that has been very helpful to me.

I have found one midwife in Kingsport, Donna McDonald. I haven't heard anything about her though.

I found a couple of doulas, but unfortunatley I can't remember the site that I found them on. I have been e-mailing one back and forth. She is helping me find an OB. If you would like I can give you her e-mail.
Well, I have hydronephrosis so if it weren't for that, I probably would refuse the u/s. And I will refuse a scheduled c/s if it comes down to it. I don't want to go through that again.

I've heard of Donna McDonald from somewhere, not sure where, though. Sure would be nice if someone could tell me about her.

Yes, if you don't care, pm me the doula's email.
post #22 of 48
MommaC-Just wondering if you were able to contact the doula. How did it go? Are you getting excited about your upcoming VBAC? Nervous? What did you decide to do about your current Ob? I'm getting overwhelmed with my research...I think I will take some time off from trying to find a supportive midwife/ob for now and read a book instead. Thinking about silent knife. Have you read it? Just wanted an update from you! Btw, what is your name? I am Brandi.
post #23 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by branm View Post
MommaC-Just wondering if you were able to contact the doula. How did it go? Are you getting excited about your upcoming VBAC? Nervous? What did you decide to do about your current Ob? I'm getting overwhelmed with my research...I think I will take some time off from trying to find a supportive midwife/ob for now and read a book instead. Thinking about silent knife. Have you read it? Just wanted an update from you! Btw, what is your name? I am Brandi.
I just now contacted her. I had actually forgotten that I got her email off of you.

Well, I'm not thrilled about where I will be attempting a VBAC if that helps answer your question. I toured the Labor and Delivery today hoping to get some positive feedback about how they do things. Pretty much, they are not VBAC friendly. They will encourage it to a certain extent and then name off a bunch of reasons why one wouldn't be able to have one.

I want to switch so bad and I really hope that my husband supports me in this decision. He's starting to see what I am talking about in terms of how c-section happy these doctors and nurses are. It sucks, to say the least. My only hope right now is God. That's it! Unless I can find someone on short notice who is 100% supportive of a VBAC and not just partially supportive, then I'm doomed to give birth at that hospital.

Also, they told me that they wouldn't let me go past 40 weeks. Sorry, but I'm the one carrying the baby. Not them!! Yea, I left there in a bad mood.

Sorry that I am of no help. My husband ran into a lady at the Health Food store over in Kingsport and she was asking him about me or something because he was buying the EPO and RRL tea for me. She asked him if I was seeing one of the midwives in the area and he told her no that I wanted one, though. Told her where I was going to be delivering and so forth. Of course, he didn't tell me this until after we left the store. Sooo, I'm thinking about calling the store tomorrow and requesting to speak with her..I don't even know her name! But its worth a shot because if she knows of midwives in the area, that would be so good if she could give me some information, ya know.

I'll let you know what she says.
post #24 of 48
Oh that just stinks! So upsetting this late in your pregnancy. You are going to Kingsport right? I would love to here what midwives are around here. I think that Bristol might be a better choice. I'm not sure that they will be totally supportive but during my tour they went over everything they offer to help with labor. whirlpool tub, squat bars....they also use a heplock. They used a heplock with me and let me get up use the bathroom walk around etc. I was induced and ended up agreeing to an epi. because my contractions were so intense and I had 2 failed epidurals. They would not let me get up after that even though it was obvious that I could feel my legs...now that sucked. I don't know about Johnson City though. I hope you find someone who is willing to take you. Keep your faith in God and listen to your heart. Try to stay positive...these are just small bumps in the road. Stand your ground and I am confident that everything is going to work out for you!

BTW what health food store do you go to? I didn't realize there was one in Kingsport.

Maybe we should start an ICAN chapter in our area....
post #25 of 48
The doctor I began my 2nd pregnancy with moved to Johnson City around my 2nd trimester. She was very open to working with me to have the birth I wanted to have. I don't know what practice she is with in JC, but her name is Ginger Williams Carter.
post #26 of 48
I can't sleep so I am looking online for a midwife. I can't remember if I mentioned her before but I found Donna McDonald in Kingsport. I googled her and it shows she is part of the group with Saunders and Beckner. I'm not positive. I would think you would already know about her if she was in the same group but anyway, here is her info.

http://www.wellmontphysicians.org/pa...alley_bios.htm

Even if she is not in the same group she may be willing to take you this late.
post #27 of 48
Ok, looks like she is part of the group and I have already mentioned her. No wonder she sounded familiar to you! lol! The bad part is that it doesn't look like she delivers. Hmmm do you think you could schedule your next appt. with her and get her input on things?

Sorry, I was really excited for you for a moment. I should have researched more before I replied.
post #28 of 48
Thread Starter 
The name of the health food store is "Mac's Wellness Nutrition & Wellness". I really like it and the people are so helpful. Its near the Mall, so its not really hard to find.

Yes, I realized that Donna McDonald was apart of the same practice as my regular OB and I had a 'doh' moment the other day when I seen her name on the door to their office lol.

I have only seen her a couple of times and I think she just assists at the Hospital and not necessarily delivers and I have thought about talking with her since she might be more open and honest. Never know, though.

I should have considered Bristol to deliver my baby, but the drive was the main concern and I knew my husband probably wouldn't want to drive that much farther. He did say that with our next, we will plan for a homebirth after seeing how the Hospital responded to my questions. Ugh! It was like a walking nightmare being on that tour.

And I did get a reply back from the doula you referred me to and so far, she has been helpful and is offering to join us at the hospital. I just hope that we can afford it, that is my main concern. Hubby is willing to compromise on that, so I have a little bit of hope. Hoping to hear from her today so that my husband can talk with her via phone. He has to be convinced she will help increase our chances of a successful vbac delivery.

Btw, my name is Corissa. I forgot to mention that in my last reply to you.

Anyway, the ICAN chapter might be ideal as there is none that I know of around here. How would one get it started?
post #29 of 48
Corissa, if I were you I would try to schedule your next appt. with Donna. I would be curious to see what she says about everything. It really stinks though that she is not able to deliver though.

I'm glad that the doula is working out for you. Hopefully she will talk your husband into it. You could also cry to her and tell her that you can't get your DH to agree to the $300...Who knows she may drop her rate. After all assisting in a VBAC just makes her portfolio look good. Worth a try anyway.

It only takes me exactly 1 hour to get to Bristol Hospital from here. I would imagine it would take you the same...if not less. I've heard good things about Kingsport too though. I have a friend that delivered there and they were great at not pushing an epidural too soon...she decided she wanted one but they didn't push it. They also let her water break on its own. A lot of hospitals are eager to break it too soon which puts a time limit on your labor and may cause malpositioning.

Have you wrote up a birth plan? I would do that as well if I were you.

Brandi
post #30 of 48
Oops, forgot to add the info on starting an ICAN chapter in our area. I have no idea what it would take but I will look into it. I think it would be a good thing because when I searched for one, the nearest one was in Nashville!

Brandi
post #31 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by branm View Post
Corissa, if I were you I would try to schedule your next appt. with Donna. I would be curious to see what she says about everything. It really stinks though that she is not able to deliver though.

I'm glad that the doula is working out for you. Hopefully she will talk your husband into it. You could also cry to her and tell her that you can't get your DH to agree to the $300...Who knows she may drop her rate. After all assisting in a VBAC just makes her portfolio look good. Worth a try anyway.

It only takes me exactly 1 hour to get to Bristol Hospital from here. I would imagine it would take you the same...if not less. I've heard good things about Kingsport too though. I have a friend that delivered there and they were great at not pushing an epidural too soon...she decided she wanted one but they didn't push it. They also let her water break on its own. A lot of hospitals are eager to break it too soon which puts a time limit on your labor and may cause malpositioning.

Have you wrote up a birth plan? I would do that as well if I were you.

Brandi
I've researched ICAN chapters in Va as well and it appears that closest one is 3 hours away. Let me know what you find out.

Anyway, about the Doula. We are meeting with her Thursday before my doctor's appointment. My husband has spoke with her on the phone and he is really considering having her assist us at the Hospital. I've spoke with her as well and she is so helpful with a lot of the questions I had. I'm excited about it because at least I will have someone more knowledgeable than I at the hospital to help me make informed decisions during the whole process. At least this way, I can say no to unnecessary interventions with her affirming my decision.

We just got done watching the "Business of Being Born" and it has really helped change my hubby's perspective on childbirth. It wasn't enough to sway him in the homebirth direction with this one, as we are so late in the game. But I'm thinking that by having him understand the whole process, might make it easier for him to support me in my decisions to refuse certain procedures. He's taking more interest in the birth and I am so glad. I feel like I have more support now than I started out with. I'm just thankful for that much, ya know.

Also, I've mentioned to him about switching, but he's just not considering it since I am so far. I reminded him that we could still have 4 or 5 weeks left, but he's just not comfortable with the idea or process, but maybe, when we have the interview with her on Thursday (given that I don't go into labor before then *crosses fingers*) she might be able to persuade him to let me switch. Either way, there is hope and I'm grasping at it lol.

And yes, I do have a birth plan that we are going to discuss with Saunders some more and fax to the L&D. I discussed it with him last time and he was sort of passive, but did act 'interested'. We'll see how they all take to it and I hope that they do because that's how I expect things to go.

As far as scheduling my next appt with Donna, I don't really know that I can because they stay super booked, its ridiculous! But I will try to see if they would let me talk to her or something. Couldn't hurt! After all, if she is in the practice with the other doctors, then I need to get to know all of them should Saunders not be able to attend the birth. I will just tell the office that.

The Doula is also going to give me a form or something of questions that I can ask the staff during the whole labor process, so I'm excited about that. We are on our way and I pray to God that this will be a successful vbac.

Thank you for all your help, Brandi! It means so much to me. I was so hopeless there for a while. Many of the people who have responded in this thread have given some positive feedback and information that I plan to use for my third since my husband is definitely for planning a homebirth with the next one.
post #32 of 48
I'm so happy for you! Things really seem to be working out in your favor now. You sound so much more positive...which is important. I'm glad I could help out some! I'm rooting for you and can't wait to hear your story. I just hope you will be around when I get pregnant! I am going to need all the help I can get! Let me know how Thursday goes if you don't care.

I checked on starting the ICAN chapter and I will have to e-mail someone. I may do that this upcoming week. I think it would be good for our area. It is so hard to find any info or any like minded women for that matter around here. My family and friends think I am crazy when I talk about things like VBACs, natural childbirth, organic foods, extended rearfacing, baby carriers, and breastfeeding. I'm not the most crunchy person either! I just try hard to make the best decisions based on research for my child...what is so wrong with that!

Brandi
post #33 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by branm View Post
I'm so happy for you! Things really seem to be working out in your favor now. You sound so much more positive...which is important. I'm glad I could help out some! I'm rooting for you and can't wait to hear your story. I just hope you will be around when I get pregnant! I am going to need all the help I can get! Let me know how Thursday goes if you don't care.

I checked on starting the ICAN chapter and I will have to e-mail someone. I may do that this upcoming week. I think it would be good for our area. It is so hard to find any info or any like minded women for that matter around here. My family and friends think I am crazy when I talk about things like VBACs, natural childbirth, organic foods, extended rearfacing, baby carriers, and breastfeeding. I'm not the most crunchy person either! I just try hard to make the best decisions based on research for my child...what is so wrong with that!

Brandi
I will be sure to post my experience and hopefully it will be as positive as possible. How old are you? I'm 24. I have family that lives in Pennington and I may be up that way tomorrow if conditions are in our favor. Maybe we could meet sometime?

And I know what exactly what you are talking about when it comes to family and their support. My family thought I was bonkers from the start. I basically never talk about my birth plans with anyone in the extended family because last year, before I miscarried (naturally at 11 weeks), I was talking about having a VBAC and a family member went on the defense about how it shouldn't matter how a baby is born. I mean, they said some very hurtful and insensitive words, but I guess that's not too surprising coming from someone whose never had a c-section.

I breastfed my son until he was a little around 20 months old. I'm darn happy and proud that I gave him the best. I'm kind of discouraged about breastfeeding this next one because I know how hospitals try to tell you what is best, etc. I have it in my Birth Plan that she is to be given immediately to me so that I can nurse her and establish our breastfeeding relationship and no supplementing without my consent, so they better respect that!

But yea, I never got much support with breastfeeding my son. In fact, people were trying to discourage it from the very beginning and telling me that he wasn't getting enough. I knew better! He was a 9lb baby, mind you and had already gained most of his weight back by the time we left the hospital. Then, when we went for his 2 week checkup, he had already gained it all back and then some.

Yea, breastfeeding was painful because he had a horrible latch. The little booger, he was just impatient and latched on to whatever came towards him lol. He's still impatient to this day when it comes to eating, so its kind of funny recalling those moments when he would latch on so quickly...ow! lol

I'm not really at all that crunchy of a mother myself. I like to think of it as the maternal instinct that God has given me. I think that I am like the rebel mom compared to my extended family because I am just so different from their mainstream thinking.

I also have mei tai that I used with my son a couple of times, but he hated it because he wanted the freedom to move around lol. I am ordering a ring sling for her, so that I can carry her around with ease and allow her to be close to me. I can't wait until we order it!

Anyway, so yea, that is a little bit about me. lol
post #34 of 48
Haha! I don't think either one of us go to bed when we should, huh?

I am 27. Who is your family? I would love to meet up sometime!

I have the same problem with some family members making the comment that it shouldn't matter how a baby is born...just that they are healthy. You're right, they don't understand because they had the birth they wanted. And I think that some women just really don't care. I dreamed of what childbrith was like even at an early age. Yea, I had about the exact opposite of what I pictured!

Oh, I'm pretty far from crunchy. I really try hard and wish I could be better but am proud of some of the choices I have made. I really do blame it on the area a lot though. I'm not putting it down it is just hard around here to do some of the things that I wish I could do.

Owen didn't like carriers much either. But I am still obsessed with them! lol! I'm hoping my next one will like it. I don't think I gave it a fair shot though. By the time I have my next one I will be pushing for him/her to like it. What else do you do with a toddler/preschooler! haha.

I had a really hard time with breastfeeding my son as well. I didn't see him for what seemed like forever after the csection. I think that had a lot to do with it. The lactation consultant at the hospital sucked. He only latched on a couple of times at the hospital. I finally ended up feeding him with a dropper and eventually ended up pumping exclusively. I did that for the first 3 weeks. I finally discovered nipple shields....SAVED my breastfeeding experience! I used that until he was about 2.5 months old and then FINALLY he latched on!!!!!! Shew! It was hard work in the beginning! I ended up breastfeeding him until he was a year old. Kudos to you for doing so good!

How old is your little boy anyway? Mine is 20 months...his name is Owen.

Brandi
post #35 of 48
Are you on myspace or facebook?

If you are you can add me.

My myspace is

myspace.com/bradsgirlowensmom

My facebook is

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/br...th?ref=profile

Thought that might be easier for us to keep each other updated with our birthy stuff once this thread dies. lol
post #36 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by branm View Post
Haha! I don't think either one of us go to bed when we should, huh?

I am 27. Who is your family? I would love to meet up sometime!

I have the same problem with some family members making the comment that it shouldn't matter how a baby is born...just that they are healthy. You're right, they don't understand because they had the birth they wanted. And I think that some women just really don't care. I dreamed of what childbrith was like even at an early age. Yea, I had about the exact opposite of what I pictured!

Oh, I'm pretty far from crunchy. I really try hard and wish I could be better but am proud of some of the choices I have made. I really do blame it on the area a lot though. I'm not putting it down it is just hard around here to do some of the things that I wish I could do.

Owen didn't like carriers much either. But I am still obsessed with them! lol! I'm hoping my next one will like it. I don't think I gave it a fair shot though. By the time I have my next one I will be pushing for him/her to like it. What else do you do with a toddler/preschooler! haha.

I had a really hard time with breastfeeding my son as well. I didn't see him for what seemed like forever after the csection. I think that had a lot to do with it. The lactation consultant at the hospital sucked. He only latched on a couple of times at the hospital. I finally ended up feeding him with a dropper and eventually ended up pumping exclusively. I did that for the first 3 weeks. I finally discovered nipple shields....SAVED my breastfeeding experience! I used that until he was about 2.5 months old and then FINALLY he latched on!!!!!! Shew! It was hard work in the beginning! I ended up breastfeeding him until he was a year old. Kudos to you for doing so good!

How old is your little boy anyway? Mine is 20 months...his name is Owen.

Brandi
I've been so sleepy and sometimes, my brain just won't let me sleep, on top of her kicking. So, I've just been sitting here eating and drinking water. All I crave is sweets and its so annoying! lol

My son will be 3 in October. Gosh, time flies! Seems just like yesterday, I stuck him to the breast for the first time and our bonding relationship kicked off. I will never forget that moment, no matter how drugged up I was, I still recall it.

I'm glad that you were able to breastfeed for so long despite the obstacles. I've made up my mind that if came down to it and the hospital screwed it up for us, I'd pump exclusively. I'm really hoping that won't be the case.

Anyway, I added you on Myspace. I don't update about personal information in my blogs anymore because of some family drama that took place a year back. But, I'm thinking about posting my birth story should be a good one.

Oh and my cousins are Amanda and Misty Benfield. They are married now.

You'll see what my personality is by my profile, though. See you on there.
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by branm View Post
I think it would be good for our area. It is so hard to find any info or any like minded women for that matter around here. My family and friends think I am crazy when I talk about things like VBACs, natural childbirth, organic foods, extended rearfacing, baby carriers, and breastfeeding. I'm not the most crunchy person either! I just try hard to make the best decisions based on research for my child...what is so wrong with that!

Brandi
Have you tried attending a LLL meeting? There are meetings in Damascus, VA; Bristol, TN/VA; and Johnson City, TN. Many of the attendees are no longer nursing but attend to support other mothers. Although the topics you mention aren't covered during the meetings (except breastfeeding), you meet people with whom these things are often discussed after meetings.

The World Breastfeeding Walk is August 1st at 9 am in downtown Bristol. It's a good opportunity for chatting with like-minded people (of varying levels of "crunchiness"). There is also a baby fair put on by LLL and the YWCA of Bristol on August 15th. There will be a babywearing demonstration and a silent auction (last year I got a bunch of cloth diapers at the auction).

I am too lazy to go back and quote these, but I saw that two of you had difficult starts to breastfeeding last time. I definitely recommend attending a LLL meeting before giving birth, or at least getting in touch with one of the leaders. The leaders we have in this area are very experienced, caring, and helpful. They are also very committed to helping women have a positive breastfeeding experience. Two are practicing lactation consultants. Since the lactation consultant in the hospital didn't visit me until Elliott was several hours old, I called one of the leaders right away to get off to a good start. The nurses at Indian Path Medical Center did seem to be pretty supportive of breastfeeding, but maybe they were just faking it because they knew I was a placenta-saving, tandem nursing, home birthing nut!

~Carrie
post #38 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubulidentata2 View Post
Have you tried attending a LLL meeting? There are meetings in Damascus, VA; Bristol, TN/VA; and Johnson City, TN. Many of the attendees are no longer nursing but attend to support other mothers. Although the topics you mention aren't covered during the meetings (except breastfeeding), you meet people with whom these things are often discussed after meetings.

The World Breastfeeding Walk is August 1st at 9 am in downtown Bristol. It's a good opportunity for chatting with like-minded people (of varying levels of "crunchiness"). There is also a baby fair put on by LLL and the YWCA of Bristol on August 15th. There will be a babywearing demonstration and a silent auction (last year I got a bunch of cloth diapers at the auction).

I am too lazy to go back and quote these, but I saw that two of you had difficult starts to breastfeeding last time. I definitely recommend attending a LLL meeting before giving birth, or at least getting in touch with one of the leaders. The leaders we have in this area are very experienced, caring, and helpful. They are also very committed to helping women have a positive breastfeeding experience. Two are practicing lactation consultants. Since the lactation consultant in the hospital didn't visit me until Elliott was several hours old, I called one of the leaders right away to get off to a good start. The nurses at Indian Path Medical Center did seem to be pretty supportive of breastfeeding, but maybe they were just faking it because they knew I was a placenta-saving, tandem nursing, home birthing nut!

~Carrie
Thank you for information, Carrie! I really hope that I can attend the baby fair. How awesome would that be!

Before my son was born, I was really ignorant of breastfeeding. It was after I had him that I really started doing my research and getting support from breastfeeding communities and the like. I am so thankful that I had them to turn to, even though it wasn't LLL. I did go to their site many times for information and it really helped.

Fortunately, my son's only issues was the latch in the first weeks, then my nipples just kind of got broken in. After that, it was smooth sailing. He was a very committed breastfeeding baby lol. Family would try to give him a bottle behind my back, but to no avail. Heheheh! That's another story, but yea, pretty much shows how much support I had in the beginning...none.
post #39 of 48

Sycamore Shoals?

Hello! I'm new to Johnson City and very recently found out I'm pregnant with my second child. I do not have a doctor yet and looking for one who will support both a natural birth as well as a VBAC. I was told that Dr. Green and Dr. Liang at Sycamore Shoals Birthing Center are both very good. Anyone know anything about them and/or the hospital? Thank you so much!
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubulidentata2 View Post
Dr. Lenita Thibault ((423) 247-2252) is supposedly VBAC-friendly. I know someone who had her first VBAC with her and is planning a second.
I saw Dr. Thibault a few times during my pregnancy 3 years ago. She was great! But, I would never, ever go to Dr. Roseanne Kappa who is in the same practice as Dr. Thibault.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home