Originally Posted by branm
Corissa, if I were you I would try to schedule your next appt. with Donna. I would be curious to see what she says about everything. It really stinks though that she is not able to deliver though.
I'm glad that the doula is working out for you. Hopefully she will talk your husband into it. You could also cry to her and tell her that you can't get your DH to agree to the $300...Who knows she may drop her rate. After all assisting in a VBAC just makes her portfolio look good. Worth a try anyway.
It only takes me exactly 1 hour to get to Bristol Hospital from here. I would imagine it would take you the same...if not less. I've heard good things about Kingsport too though. I have a friend that delivered there and they were great at not pushing an epidural too soon...she decided she wanted one but they didn't push it. They also let her water break on its own. A lot of hospitals are eager to break it too soon which puts a time limit on your labor and may cause malpositioning.
Have you wrote up a birth plan? I would do that as well if I were you.
I've researched ICAN chapters in Va as well and it appears that closest one is 3 hours away. Let me know what you find out.
Anyway, about the Doula. We are meeting with her Thursday before my doctor's appointment. My husband has spoke with her on the phone and he is really considering having her assist us at the Hospital. I've spoke with her as well and she is so helpful with a lot of the questions I had. I'm excited about it because at least I will have someone more knowledgeable than I at the hospital to help me make informed decisions during the whole process. At least this way, I can say no to unnecessary interventions with her affirming my decision.
We just got done watching the "Business of Being Born" and it has really helped change my hubby's perspective on childbirth. It wasn't enough to sway him in the homebirth direction with this one, as we are so late in the game. But I'm thinking that by having him understand the whole process, might make it easier for him to support me in my decisions to refuse certain procedures. He's taking more interest in the birth and I am so glad. I feel like I have more support now than I started out with. I'm just thankful for that much, ya know.
Also, I've mentioned to him about switching, but he's just not considering it since I am so far. I reminded him that we could still have 4 or 5 weeks left, but he's just not comfortable with the idea or process, but maybe, when we have the interview with her on Thursday (given that I don't go into labor before then *crosses fingers*) she might be able to persuade him to let me switch. Either way, there is hope and I'm grasping at it lol.
And yes, I do have a birth plan that we are going to discuss with Saunders some more and fax to the L&D. I discussed it with him last time and he was sort of passive, but did act 'interested'. We'll see how they all take to it and I hope that they do because that's how I expect things to go.
As far as scheduling my next appt with Donna, I don't really know that I can because they stay super booked, its ridiculous! But I will try to see if they would let me talk to her or something. Couldn't hurt! After all, if she is in the practice with the other doctors, then I need to get to know all of them should Saunders not be able to attend the birth. I will just tell the office that.
The Doula is also going to give me a form or something of questions that I can ask the staff during the whole labor process, so I'm excited about that. We are on our way and I pray to God that this will be a successful vbac.
Thank you for all your help, Brandi! It means so much to me. I was so hopeless there for a while. Many of the people who have responded in this thread have given some positive feedback and information that I plan to use for my third since my husband is definitely for planning a homebirth with the next one.