or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › anyone have Hospital birth w/o interventions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

anyone have Hospital birth w/o interventions? - Page 2

post #21 of 53
Yes, but I'm in a different country (and continent) and here it's very common to have that.
post #22 of 53
Moved to Birth and Beyond.
post #23 of 53
I have had 3 hospital births and one accidental unassisted homebirth. Two of my hospital births I would describe as very minimal intervention and generally good experiences. That would be my first birth when I was 17 -arrived at the hospital 8 cms, was pushing within 40 minutes of arrival, pushed for 2 hours and certainly could have used more flexibility on birth position, but had a nice nurse who at least assisted me to side-lying, did have an unnecessary episiotomy, baby was given directly to me and only taken to be weighed briefly, had rooming in Also, my 4th birth - arrived to the hospital thinking I was just getting into active labor and was 9 cms dilated! Had a big argument with my OB about breaking my water (which I adamently didn't want) and then my labor stalled and I was fairly miserable, I think due to the stress, and finally I agreed to let her break my water and was already fully dilated, so I don't know why I didn't just push and keep her hands out. Baby never left my arms except to be weighed, my kids gave her first bath with help from the nurse.

It's my 3rd birth that I would describe as a fantastic hospital birth. I was seeing my family doc for this pregnancy, and he was a very gentle soul and very willing to support me however I wished. This baby was born in an in-hospital "birth center" - really just a fancy room at the end of the labor and delivery hallway. I had 1 exam on hospital admission (I was 4 cms, the least I've ever been on arrival!) My nurse got me settled in the room, explained that she'd just have me stand next to the monitor for a few minutes every 30 minutes so she could listen to the baby, and then she suggested I go walk. I walked in the halls for a while, then stood in the shower while my dh rubbed my back, then got out and rocked in a rocking chair and ate raspberry sorbet (which I can still remember as tasting fantastic) I remember that I was just starting to feel that contractions were really intense, and I told my dh I was going to wait 2 more contractions and then ask the nurse to check me because I wanted to know where I was. On the very next contraction, though, my water broke and I immediately wanted to push. The nurse grabbed a spare resident who stood in the corner of the room with her hands in her pockets (I understood later that the residents tended to get in trouble for "interfering" with the private docs births) but fortunately my own doc was in the building and was there in just a few seconds. I climbed into the big queen size bed and they stacked up a bunch of bean bags that I nestled into. This was the first time I ever saw a doc catch in a non-typical medical fashion. He knelt on the floor in front of me, and caught my son in a just a few pushes, and immediately put him on my belly. I had a skin tear that needed stitches, and he stayed there kneeling on the floor to do the repair because I was comfortable and didn't want to move. He didn't clamp or cut the cord for almost 30 minutes (which was how long the placenta took) He winked at me when I asked about it and said that he never cut the cord before the placenta because that way the nurses couldn't take the baby "just for a minute" I, dh, and the baby all slept together in the queen size bed that night, and my oldest ds slept on the couch. It was a lovely, lovely birth.

Although I attend a lot of standard modern obstetrical births, I do attend quite a few births like that one of mine, too. It was my own family doc that taught me that I could get on the floor - and I almost always find myself there for the birth, as the grand majority of my clients birth squatting, hands and knees, or standing! My nurses are now well trained to do intermittent monitoring in any position, encourage moms to be upright and mobile, do infrequent if any exams, not coach pushing or try to put moms in non-gravity assisted positions, and to leave the baby alone.

I'd ask your OB what her typical births look like, and when she would feel it necessary to recommend interventions. Ask her how comfortable the nurses are going to be with you declining things, and whether she'll back you up if you want to go against any standard policies.
post #24 of 53
nak

not me, sadly. BUT one of my best pals did, same hospital and doctor as me- TOTALLY different experience.

She went in right after her water broke. Had 1 internal check, went into the hot shower for over an hour, got into bed, had 1 more internal, and started pushing while the 2 nurses and her doc sat on the other side of the room. dimmed lights. Baby wasn't taken from her at all except initial weighing and wrapping up.

funny thing is she went in wanting an epi and would have an elect c-sec if it had been allowed.
I went in because my UC wasn't going as planned and had tons of interventions and was }thisclose{ to a csec.
*sigh*

but ya, it is possible
best wishes :
post #25 of 53
I had my middle three without any interventions other than an ocasional heartbeat check. It's totally doable with the right provider and staff.

Good luck!
post #26 of 53
I did. Two cervical checks--next time I think I'd even decline those as I found them incredibly painful. One was when I arrived (in transition) and one just before I pushed a couple hours later. And 15-20 mins of external strip monitoring when I arrived.

No saline locks. No restriction of movement, labored in the water or on the toilet. I could have eaten, but didn't want to. My food/water wasn't limited (in fact, they encourage eating/drinking at this hospital). Totally nekkid and free to roam. I did consider some of their attempts to position me while I was pushing to be a bit intrusive and next time I'll be more explicit in my wishes.

Delayed cord clamping, on the boob immediately, no baths for babe, etc.
Otherwise, nothing until afterward, when I accepted locals for stitching some minor tears. And RhoGAM the next morning, after they typed the tiny bit of blood remaining in the cord (DS is rh+).
post #27 of 53
My last two births were probably as close as I'm going to get to intervention-free unless I do UC.

I had intermittent monitoring (mw held the monitor long enough to catch the baby's heartbeat, then took it away) and a hep-lock due to my risk for hemorrhage. One initial internal check. Other than that, I did what I wanted to. Mw caught the baby, and handed him right up to me. : Placenta came out on it's own.
post #28 of 53
I had an intervention free hospital birth. Well, they did hand held fetal monitoring at first but then gave up because I was moving around too much. I wore my own clothes, no IV or Hep blok, no strapped down monitoring, no injections, etc. I was free to move around and labor and push in whatever position felt right to me. I had a wonderful, open-minded OB and an excellent doula. I was able to feed DS right away and the placenta was allowed to come out on it's own.

My only advice is to hire a doula, know what you want and don't want and make sure your mw, ob, etc knows too, and labor at home for as long as possible.
post #29 of 53
I'd call my first birth intervention free or damn close to it. I arrived at 9cm. Had intermittent fetal monitoring - no belt or anything, the nurse just held the monitor on my belly every now and then. After about an hour I was at 9.5 cm and the MW broke my water - only after she asked if I wanted to try that and I said yes. There was some meconium and they did suction DS. That's it.

The thing is, for that MW group, that was basically standard practice. I didn't even go through hospital triage or even really get checked in, though we must have done something to tell them we were there. There ARE practices like that, but you may have to search awhile to find one.
post #30 of 53
There were some interventions for my birth with DD in our birth center. I had to wear the eletronic fetal monitor belt (which I hated) for 10 minutes an hour. They tried to put an IV in because they thought I was dehydrated from throwing up, but they couldn't get it in, so I never had it. The nurse did an exam twice, which was super uncomfortable. I did get to walk around the whole time, take a shower, drink water etc. We had a good experience there overall. We had a birth plan and DP is very vocal. He made sure I had what I wanted. Our nurse called me "one of those patients"! Luckily the other nurses seemed to check on us more than she did. We loved our midwife too. I think they most important thing is to educate yourself about the hospital and what's normal procedure for your OB.
post #31 of 53
::: I just read your story Gurumama, and my hat's off to you! I just smiled after reading it as this is exactly what I hope for (I may even do a water birth). I would be pleased as punch though for it all to go as yours did. I am pretty clear in directives when it comes to my own health care and also my pets, so I will not hesitate to be outspoken (in a polite manner of course.). I've already opened the dialogue that these are my wishes with my OB as well as the hospital personnel I've been able to speak with thus far. My OB said the 15 minute EFM is about all that will need to be enforced (it's a liability issue) and I talked with him aboout how the device was never intended for normal pregnanices, even contraindicated for this group by the manufacturer as it tends to lead to unneccessary interventions that carry risks. He agreed 100% and cited that it's likely a hospital liability issue. I suppose it gives them something tangible in the event they ever need to refer back on it at a later date (for legal reasons perhaps).
I would much prefer a doppler as I do not wish to be confined for 15 minutes subjected to being still and possibly stalling my labor (or left on my back in bed- a position I want to avoid at all costs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumama View Post
I had none of the above in my 2002 hospital birth. I did have a 15 minute external fetal monitor strip, but that was it, and I was standing/squatting the whole time

No vaginal exam, ever, from start to finish.
No IV or lock.
No stripping of membranes or artificial rupture of membranes.
No pitocin, no cytotec, no augmentation or induction.
No traction on the cord after.
Babe at my breast within 30 seconds.
Delayed cord clamping.
Babe stayed with us for 2+ hours. Then DH followed him and was with him the entire time before they returned him to me.
Babe with me the entire 2 days, co-sleeping in the bed.


NOTHING other than the 15 minute EFM strip...................
......................

So it IS possible to have a non-intervention hospital birth. I'm now due in early August, and damn well intend to do the same again.
post #32 of 53
Yes, I did. Three of them. For my first one, I wasn't aware he mutilated me (cut me), and I couldn't sue because it was an ignorant military doctor, but the other three were absolutely 100% intervention free.

No IVs, no monitoring, no internal exams, nothing. I did what I wanted to do and called them in to catch. Then went home. It was great. I didn't stay at night for them to monitor me unnecessarily either.

My OB was 100% on board, and directed me to the hospital that would cooperate. She called them ahead of tiem to ensure they were aware they were to leave me alone, and all went wonderfully!
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby View Post
I believe it's unlikely and rare. No VEs, IV, saline or heplock, ECFM (or intermittent FM), AROM, being confined to the bed, etc. Completely hands off and free to do whatever you wish in terms of your labor/birth preference.

With DD2 I had AROM, saline lock and intermittent FM and three VEs. Without being a royal bitch or making "requests" or "asking" for permission, it would be extremely hard to have a totally normal birth in most hospital settings.
I disagree. I didn't have to bitch at all. They couldn't do anything to me that I wouldn't let them do, and I had the situation under control. The nurses and docs wished there were more moms like me.

Why didn't you refuse the AROM and stuff? NO is an easy word!
post #34 of 53
Mine was pretty close. The only interventions I had were the ones I wanted. I had a heplock with saline since I kept throwing up. They did give me all the fluids by mouth that I wanted as well. I also had external monitor for a while. They offered to take it off, and midwife started to take them off when she got there. I was focusing on the sound of her heart beat during contractions, so I asked her to leave it on. Same for the saline. I also ended up liking sitting on the bed with my head just so. My midwife told the nurse to leave me alone and stop trying to lay me down. I think if you can find a midwife that feels like you do that delivers at your hospital of choice.
post #35 of 53
My VBAC was an intervention free hospital birth. But I did allow what some may consider "interventions" - EFM (b/c I was a VBAC and there were some questions about the baby when I went in) and a saline lock. For me, i didn't think these two things were worth arguing about. I chose my hospital carefully and never had to "ask permission" for anything. I ate when I was hungry, drank when I wanted, etc. They followed my birth plan exactly.

Honestly though, I think you need to look at why you are choosing a home birth vs hospital birth. Because if you really really don't want anything that the hospital will offer you, it's best to avoid the potential argument in the first place (obviously we sometimes have insurance issues or our partner isn't supportive or whatever).

We all walk into a hospital birth knowing that certain things are "standard operating procedure" - like wearing a hospital gown for example. Silly things mostly. IME if you've decided on a hospital birth, don't sweat the small stuff. When it comes down to it, that is not what matters and not what you will remember about your birth experience. Instead, focus on what's important to you and make sure you assign someone (partner, doula) to communicate those desires as they become relevant. YES it can be done.
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kltroy View Post

We all walk into a hospital birth knowing that certain things are "standard operating procedure" - like wearing a hospital gown for example.

At the same time, though, I asked my mw at a late pg visit about wearing my own clothes and she said that would be fine but why did I want to. When it came down to it, I was very comfy in the hosp. gown even though I did have the choice to wear what I wanted.
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
I disagree. I didn't have to bitch at all. They couldn't do anything to me that I wouldn't let them do, and I had the situation under control. The nurses and docs wished there were more moms like me.

Why didn't you refuse the AROM and stuff? NO is an easy word!
I think it really depends on the climate where you are. Here it is VERY hard to refuse a lot of it. The hospital *midwives* have many "mandatory" things that you sign on that you agree to before labor....

-Angela
post #38 of 53
I had a birth in a hospital with a CNM, with no drugs, and no IV, in the position I chose. I did have a monitor belt on and am extremely thankful for that. It wasn't exactly intervention free because it became an emergency....DS2's cord was around his shoulder twice and the MW had to talk me through pushing him out very quickly, and he had to be resuscitated. We got him out fast and they got him pink quickly and he has always seemed fine. I am very happy to have had those interventions. I can honestly say I didn't have any interventions that I didn't want.
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I think it really depends on the climate where you are. Here it is VERY hard to refuse a lot of it. The hospital *midwives* have many "mandatory" things that you sign on that you agree to before labor....

-Angela
I guess I just can't wrap my head around a bunch of people physically having to force, with great effort, my legs apart and doing AROM or cervical checks. I can't believe a hospital would do that. Apparently they do, but man, I'd be hitting the door running as fast as my laboring body would get me there! LOL!
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
I guess I just can't wrap my head around a bunch of people physically having to force, with great effort, my legs apart and doing AROM or cervical checks. I can't believe a hospital would do that. Apparently they do, but man, I'd be hitting the door running as fast as my laboring body would get me there! LOL!
Right. It's bad here. Learned recently of a mom a couple years back who exceeded the "time limit" on pushing and was wheeled into OR for a section screaming I DO NOT CONSENT. Then as punishment they kidnapped her baby to NICU claiming he was going to die (when nothing in fact was wrong)

-Angela
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › anyone have Hospital birth w/o interventions?