or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do people in our generation care about weed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do people in our generation care about weed? - Page 7

post #121 of 304
I'm in my mid-20s and don't support legalization of marijuana, though I do support its decriminalization.
post #122 of 304
Didn't read the entire thread. I'm 28, used to smoke it but haven't for years. I think it should be legalized and so do most of my peers.
post #123 of 304
28- non smoker voting for legalization

I know so many military men that smoke sage.... which is also a hallucinatory drug. lol

the lengths people go to.

and marijuana need not be smoked to be effective.... its fat soluble so you can put it in butter and use the butter to bake and cook.... I mean.. so Ive heard.
post #124 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
YOU don't NEED for me to do anything. If you want my answer, read my last post, above.

and I believe that some people can govern themsevles just fine. I can. I don't use drugs, smoke, eat horrible, drive dangerously, steal, cheat on my taxes, abuse anyone or anything, etc, etc, etc... and I still wouldn't even if there were no laws to tell me to or not to do so. Others however, need some mentoring.

I'm not focusing on the health aspect of pot at this point.... though everyone who has responded to what I've said seems to pinpoint that for some odd reason. Pot IS part of the reason so many cities and neighborhoods are declining. Think about the mentality and motivation of dealers.... not users. Users hurt those close to their hearts, dealers hurt those within a 5 mile radius.

*sigh*

My dearest neighbors are pot smokers.

They were the biggest help to my family when my dd passed away. They've been wonderful about being active in my kids lives to try and bridge the gap her death left.

They have pets who are spoiled rotten and treated better than most people treat their human kids. Grandkids who are loved and cherished.

They have the most awesome yard in the neighborhood.

Their house is well kept and decorated nicely.

They both hold down full time jobs and do volunteer work.

They have a band and play several times a month. They even played at no charge when my son got married.


Yeah.... those evil pot smokers are tearing my neighborhood apart....
post #125 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Alive View Post
..but I wonder if legalizing it will make it too easy for under age smokers to get.
It would make it harder to get unless they're willing to grow their own. At least I think so.

It's FAR easier for my 18 year old sister to get weed than it is alcohol. Getting alcohol is very difficult unless you know an overage person willing to risk buying it for you. (Not me, sorry sis ) But she can get weed with one text message, easy peasy. If she had to buy it at the store, she'd have a harder time getting it.
post #126 of 304
I'm 29. Haven't read all posts...way too many. But, I definitely do not support the use of marijuana. Should it be illegal? I have no idea. TBH, this is an issue that has never directly affected me, and I have no opinion because I really don't know anything about it. I know I don't want me kids to smoke pot...and I'd prefer if their friends didn't either. Will I be protesting either way? No. There are much more important issues to me. But, maybe if my daughter becomes a pothead I'll think differently. On the one hand...I do not want people smoking marijuana around me...just like I don't want tobacco smoke around me. So I wouldn't want it legalized to the point that people are smoking it everywhere with no regard for non-smokers. Honestly, I can't stand smokers...and of all the people that I look up to and hope to gain wisdom from...none of them smoke weed.
post #127 of 304
I am all for legalizing it, but also preserving it as it is NOW. The government getting their hands on it scares me a bit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluebird View Post
It's FAR easier for my 18 year old sister to get weed than it is alcohol. Getting alcohol is very difficult unless you know an overage person willing to risk buying it for you.
Exactly. Weed is everywhere...it's extremely easy for anyone to get it, whether they're senior citizens, college students, or 12 year olds. It would actually be harder for young kids to access if it was illegal, because the government would not just legalize it for everyone and make it that easily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower01 View Post
TBH, this is an issue that has never directly affected me, and I have no opinion because I really don't know anything about it. I know I don't want me kids to smoke pot...and I'd prefer if their friends didn't either.
I'm a little confused by this...you say you know nothing about it, and then state that you don't want your kids to use it, or even their friends...but why? How do you know it's that bad if you've never looked into it? Would you have a problem if they became regular smokers, or drank frequently, as adults, or only if they started smoking weed?



Quote:
Originally Posted by flower01 View Post
and of all the people that I look up to and hope to gain wisdom from...none of them smoke weed.
How do you know, for sure? Many, many people keep it under wraps for years, because of the stigma associated to weed in our society. Many of the people we meet on a daily basis, including doctors, professionals, people we pass on the street...are frequent smokers and no one ever knows.
post #128 of 304
I believe pot should be legal, if not for recreational use then at least for medicinal. My husband has MS, which is one of the many diseases that marijuana can treat.
Even if it were legal, I don't see myself being an avid user. I might use it occasionally in lieu of alcohol, because I like the feeling better. But as far as that goes I never have more than a few drinks at once and when I did used to smoke pot I was never the "smoke till you pass out" type anyway.
post #129 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post
I am 29, so whatever generation that puts me in. I really have mixed feelings about this subject. I think if it is used responsibly mj really is better then alcohol and probably cigarettes that are legal. My problem is that I have not known very many responsible users. I had several friends in high school that went from decent "C" students to failing out and/or dropping out within about a year of starting mj.
I've seen stuff like that happen. OTOH, I went from the honour roll to barely passing (and failed Social Studies) within a year of starting to smoke pot, too. It had nothing to do with the pot. It had everything to do with the extreme depression I was experiencing...which was the reason I was smoking the pot.

And, honestly...I've known some serious perma-fries...including my ex-husband. I've known at least 10 times as many people who smoke it without any negative effects on their lives...from the couple who split a joint every night after work (just like some people have 1-2 beer) to the woman who buys a couple of grams twice a year. I suspect that I know other people who smoke and I have no idea that they do. I know one of my neighbours does, because I smell it outside sometimes...but I'm not sure which neighbour it is.
post #130 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Alive View Post
..but I wonder if legalizing it will make it too easy for under age smokers to get.
When I was 14, I knew at least a dozen different people I could get weed from. I'm 41 now, and I have no clue where I'd go if I wanted some. My son doesn't smoke it, but I'd be willing to bet he knows where to get it if he wants it.
post #131 of 304
I was far less tolerant of drug use (including tobacco and alcohol) as a teen and young twentysomething as I am now. I think it was because a lot of the people that I personally knew that imbibed went way over the top, and I saw them engaging in a lot of other dangerous activities alongside it.

But the folks I knew in my teens/college years who did it primarily did it out of boredom, because we always lived in the sticks and there was 'nothing else to do', or to self-medicate.

I support decriminalization of MJ, but I don't think it should be uncontrolled, I think it should be treated like any other legal recreational drug. But now that I have seen folks who use it more as a recreational thing rather than going over the top or self-medicating, I have more of an understanding as to how/why some folks just enjoy it as a relaxing thing now and then or can use it medicinally.

I didn't really get why anyone would want to drink alcohol for a long time either, since my primary experience with that was pulling my binge drinking friends out of their own vomit and urine and having to comb the sidewalks/bushes for binge drinking alcoholic roommates who didn't come home when they said they would (that was my cue to start looking for them because they were passed out somewhere). Once I met different people as responsible adults who enjoyed the taste, or did it as a mild social thing--well, that was different, and now I see that side of the argument.
post #132 of 304
Wow how nice to see a younger person with the same thoughts as me. I think it should be illegal. I don't care what anyone says, it is just like alcohol it can cloud judgement and reaction times. I would hate to see someone in an accident that got seriously hurt then have to tell the people of that loved one that they were hit by someone who was doing MJ. Then on top of it all told" sorry nothing we can do because MJ is legal". Besides IT STINKS and who wants to smell that stuff around them every where you go. YUCK....But I come from a circle of people and a business where we are all randomly drug tested for safety reasons. And I feel NO sorrow for those who get caught and lose their jobs. Better their jobs then someones life.
post #133 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovesl View Post
I don't care what anyone says, it is just like alcohol it can cloud judgement and reaction times. I would hate to see someone in an accident that got seriously hurt then have to tell the people of that loved one that they were hit by someone who was doing MJ. Then on top of it all told" sorry nothing we can do because MJ is legal".
Yes, but that wouldn't happen. Alcohol is legal, and if you are impaired and hurt someone, you get a more severe sentance that in many cases is mandatory--whereas if it truly was an accident with no impairment you might not receive any punishment at all (except for paying liability).

Why would you think that MJ would be enforced differently than other legal recreational drugs?
post #134 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovesl View Post
Wow how nice to see a younger person with the same thoughts as me. I think it should be illegal. I don't care what anyone says, it is just like alcohol it can cloud judgement and reaction times. I would hate to see someone in an accident that got seriously hurt then have to tell the people of that loved one that they were hit by someone who was doing MJ. Then on top of it all told" sorry nothing we can do because MJ is legal".
Could you explain what you mean by this? Alcohol is legal. I can go buy it whenever a store is open, and drink it whenever I want. But, if I killed somebody while under the influence, it wouldn't be "there's nothing we can do, because alcohol is legal". It's not legal for me to endanger others by being drunk. Driving drunk is a criminal offense...but being drunk isn't.
post #135 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post

As an aside, I think it is hilarious when I hear people say that mj is ok, but tobacco is bad. Yes, I have heard this absurdity IRL. It's what we've done to the tobacco and how we abuse it that makes it bad, the substance itself is not bad. And you can say the same for pot, or alcohol. The product itself is not inherently bad, but the way that people abuse it is. And the fact is, the government has no right to dictate morality, moderation, or common sense. We all need to take responsibility for own actions, that is the first step towards a smaller government.
:

We're Canadian so our opinion may not count LOL.
I support legalization personally, so does my dh. I'll be 25 in a couple of weeks(very very rare toker, rare drinker, never tried a cig) and dh is 33(use to be chronic now rare toker, smokes like a chimney, drinks to much, imho), we're pretty different on the addiction spectrum. Our friends ages span over 10 years basically. But I also know many people older(including my grandmother who believe it should be legal) I will say that dh's friends in general are more users then my friends. Some are occasional some are chronic. I can handle them all better when they are "stoned" then when "drunk". I also agree that anything can be addictive/dangerous if used to much. Don't even get me started on the addiction of sugar! coffee, pop, t.v., fast food, cigarettes,

We do have hemp farm about an hour to us. So yes we can grow hemp in Canada BUT it is a hard process full of red tape. But oh man does that farm make the yummyest hemp seeds for salads!..but the pro's of hemp are just to numerous to get started on
post #136 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovesl View Post
Wow how nice to see a younger person with the same thoughts as me. I think it should be illegal. I don't care what anyone says, it is just like alcohol it can cloud judgement and reaction times. I would hate to see someone in an accident that got seriously hurt then have to tell the people of that loved one that they were hit by someone who was doing MJ. Then on top of it all told" sorry nothing we can do because MJ is legal". Besides IT STINKS and who wants to smell that stuff around them every where you go. YUCK....But I come from a circle of people and a business where we are all randomly drug tested for safety reasons. And I feel NO sorrow for those who get caught and lose their jobs. Better their jobs then someones life.
Alcohol is legal and harming someone while under the influence of alcohol can get you into a boat load of trouble. You know the whole drinking and driving being illegal and possibly getting charged with manslaughter if you kill someone while driving under the influence.

Also, there is no either/or. It's not "don't use MJ or get hurt" plenty of people use it responsibly and never do anything while smoking it that would cause harm to themselves or others. Except for maybe falling of the couch or something.

And I kind of like the smell, so liking the smell of MJ is a personal opinion not a general consensus.
post #137 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Didn't read the whole thread. I'm 22, and around the time I was 18 or so, started realizing, holy CRAP did DARE ever brainwash me! Taught by such a nice police officer who I even remember was the same one who came to my preschool when I was 4 to teach about safety. I graduated DARE with the belief that MJ was BAD... very very BAD and that not many people used it. That only gang members and creepy BAD people used it. My profile of someone who used marijuana was the kind of person who probably also regularly shoplifts, carries a gun under their clothes, and throws rocks at puppies.

Then I got out into the real world and learned that lots of people, my friends, normal people who aren't menaces to society, smoke marijuana! Then I gradually learned that marijuana is.. an herb. And can accomplish the same thing pharmaceuticals can but with less side effects. Its dizzying, to unlearn what was pounded into me since childhood.
Just after I "graduated" the D.A.R.E. program I turned my parents in to the cops. Talk about brain washing. Have you read 1984? It was kinda like that.

Coming to terms with the fact that a huge portion of normal society smokes pot was such a mind trip for me. Yes, I smoked for a few years in college but I came to the conclusion ON MY OWN that I didn't like how it made me feel. Same for drinking. There are people who can not self regulate (DH and BIL to name a few) so they either do it all the freakin' time (BIL), or not at all (DH). Both of these people have addictive personalities though. They have control issues with alcohol and cigarettes too. But those are their own personal demons they must fright with. It is NOT the government right or responsibility to tell them what they can or can not do.

FTR: I am 26, DH is 27, and DH was one of those unfortunate "criminals" who did jail time for having pot on him.
post #138 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Think of all the companies that would loose money if hemp was used to it's fullest potential.

That is why it's illegal.
:

I'm 30 and DH is 42 and we both believe that it should be legal. We've both smoked in the past, though since giving up smoking cigarettes we haven't smoked pot either. The majority of people I know who smoke/have smoked pot only do that - very few even try other harder drugs, let alone use them regularly.

It's a complete waste of time, money and resources to incarcerate pot users and those who deal only in pot and I would much rather the legal and police system put a concerted effort into prosecuting rapists, child abusers, and so on - people who really deserve to be punished and whose presence in society poses a genuine risk to those around them.

In fact I would prefer to see that time, money and resources being put to use catching, prosecuting, rehabilitating and preventing those who put the lives of others in jeopardy by drinking and driving. (And I both drink and drive - though NEVER at the same time.)
post #139 of 304
My DH and I are both 27. We do not support the use of or legalization of weed.
post #140 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
limab...i think what shes saying is that they would all turn into meth dealers.

the dealers i know now would not turn to meth or anything else hard. they would ask for more hours at their crappy job that doesn't pay them enough.



YES YES AND AGAIN YES
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do people in our generation care about weed?