or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do people in our generation care about weed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do people in our generation care about weed? - Page 11

post #201 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmalizz View Post
I'm 20 and think weed should stay illegal because of the mental and health problems it can cause. I also think tobacco should be illegal though- so yes, I'm the odd one out apparently
Not odd, I'm with you, too. Those who don't think it's a big deal don't know anyone for whom it's a VERY big problem, physically and mentally.
post #202 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
SERIOUSLY! Am I the ONLY one that doesn't get these crazy highs? I can pretty much maintain while stoned, yeah everything may be a little brighter and I'm a little happier BUT I don't "see" things
I still wonder if that was laced with something as I never had that happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
Not odd, I'm with you, too. Those who don't think it's a big deal don't know anyone for whom it's a VERY big problem, physically and mentally.
I get really tired of arguments like that. Did it being illegal stop it from being a problem for these people in the first place?? No it did not! So how will it being legal change that?

Also I think if doctors and mental health professionals were better at diagnosing and treating mental/behavior problems instead of ignoring you or throwing pharmaceuticals at you hoping they find the right one.. then there wouldn't be so many people self medicating and over doing it.

The pot is not the problem. The problem is the underlying problem that caused them to self medicate themselves into oblivion in the first place.
post #203 of 304
mj is the second largest nontaxable cash crop in our state after maple syrup. every sunny day in spring, summer, and early fall helicopters fill the sky searching for hidden plants. it really makes me mad that so much money is being wasted on the war on drugs.
e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e knows someone who partakes in mj and it's not just the sterotyped pacholi scented hippie or heartless drug dealer.
i wouldn't want my children to smoke until they were responsible adults just like anything else. no one should ever smoke and drive.
it at least needs to be made available to those that need it medicinally.
post #204 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post



I get really tired of arguments like that. Did it being illegal stop it from being a problem for these people in the first place?? No it did not! So how will it being legal change that?
Couldn't agree more!
post #205 of 304
Quote:
The pot is not the problem. The problem is the underlying problem that caused them to self medicate themselves into oblivion in the first place.
Exactly. Alcohol is legal and I would venture to say that alcohol is not a problem for most people. Alcoholism is a self-medicating situation too. So should we make alcohol illegal even for the gal who likes to have a beer on Friday night? Is alcoholism a problem? Yes. But most people who drink are not alcoholics.
post #206 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
SERIOUSLY! Am I the ONLY one that doesn't get these crazy highs? I can pretty much maintain while stoned, yeah everything may be a little brighter and I'm a little happier BUT I don't "see" things
I've had highs like that - I can remember trying to reach inside a speaker once, because it just seemed...bottomless - but never from weed. Weed just made me really mellow, and sometimes it put me to sleep (I had insomnia problems, so I didn't mind that). In my late teens or early 20s, it started making me feel paranoid, and then I quit smoking it.
post #207 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
Not odd, I'm with you, too. Those who don't think it's a big deal don't know anyone for whom it's a VERY big problem, physically and mentally.
Incorrect. I think pot should be legal, and I don't think it's a big problem for most people. And, pot was a major contributing factor in the breakup of my first marriage, and it was tragic watching my ex disintegrate the way he did.

But, my dad's an alcoholic, and I think booze should be legal, too.
post #208 of 304
I do not smoke pot but almost everyone I know does. I think it should be legal. I have a 12 y/o son and I will encourage him not to smoke pot or anything else. However, if he did decide to smoke MJ I would rather him get it from a store than the local drug dealer. I would rather see alcohol become illegal because I think it does more damage. I mean don't get me wrong I love having a glass of wine or beer at the lake but so many people abuse it. You always hear about someone that was drinking and driving and killed an innocent family. How many time do you hear on the news local man was stoned and killed innocent family?
post #209 of 304
Caiesmommy, I don't get highs like that either. I just get mellow. And have great, clever comebacks.

Some people have addictive personalities. Should we outlaw food because it's destroying people's lives? Cause let me tell you, I know more people for whom that's the case than with pot.
post #210 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
Not odd, I'm with you, too. Those who don't think it's a big deal don't know anyone for whom it's a VERY big problem, physically and mentally.

Along this line of logic, from the people I've met this time around, we'd have to illegalize:

eating - have had friends with mental disorders concerning eating

gambling - same as above

sex - again, same as above

driving - some people are HORRIBLE drivers and have injured others and themselves while doing it

working - many people are workaholic and have lost their friends and families due to choosing work over anything else

and of course we'll need to ban alcohol, tobacco products, otc drugs, carbonated beverages (soda), caffeine, and on & on



geez, I don't know about anyone else, but I think getting proper help for people who have self-control issues (edited to add: depression, etc) would make alot more sense than banning EVERYTHING.
post #211 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Some hard core dealers lace their pot with other drugs to hook the customer. Keep them coming back. I'm pretty sure that commericial pot companies won't be allowed to lace their product with crack.
I've seen a lot of poeple say this is an urban myth but I know for sure some people who DO sell their stuff laced with coke and something else. I have to think about the other thing that I know for sure.

I'd be glad if there weren't dealers because I wouldn't have had to have been freaked out when someone freaky who I knew the cops knew about who was friends with someone my kids dad was friends with came to my house looking for them. Scared the heck out of me. I've never done any illegal "drugs" of any kind myself, I have been (pre-kids) around lots of people who do all kinds of stuff and could have had anything I wanted. I was hauled into the principals office and my stuff searched because of who my bf was because of suspicion, so I was making a point by not doing it
(i did drink until i was 16 then 18-21) I was scared cops were going to decide to get him THEN because I know they follow him around and I'd have been screwed, kwim?

I was never carded for alcohol or ciggs until I was 20 and had 2 kids. Someone carded me for ciggs. Then the last few times I bought alcohol, I was and I was 21.

FTR, I have an issue with weed but not for true medicinal purposes. I do think it is much better than ridiculous amounts of chemicals with horrid side effects that pills are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm_Bride View Post
because how many people in general do you hear of who have never, ever smoked a joint?
Me! lol
post #212 of 304
Wow, there are so many things that I have to say just aren't true...
The lacing of your common mj purchase is scare tactic propaganda. It just doesnt happen. Cocaine is so expensive there is no dealer in his or her right mind who would just lace their pot with it and sell it to you without you knowing. Combining pot and coke in a cigarette is a common practice, and some people do it willingly for the effects.
I know a lot of people with addiction problems who don't smoke weed. My brother is an opiate addict who is now on methadone therapy. His gateway drug? Oxycontin. Then he moved on to heroin. These are *real* drug problems. Now he is on methadone for who knows how long...methadone is a legal drug as well. But anyway, not every drug addict starts as a pothead. Not every pothead does other drugs. One of my very close friends smokes weed but he doesn't eat sugar or meat or drink caffeine. He certainly doesn't drink alcohol or do harder drugs.

Everyone needs to read this:::::>>>>>>>

http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html
post #213 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
Wow, there are so many things that I have to say just aren't true...
The lacing of your common mj purchase is scare tactic propaganda. It just doesnt happen. Cocaine is so expensive there is no dealer in his or her right mind who would just lace their pot with it and sell it to you without you knowing. Combining pot and coke in a cigarette is a common practice, and some people do it willingly for the effects.
I'll go look at your link but as I said, It DOES happen.
I know at least 2 dealers who DO lace their stuff with coke at least.
Yes, they sell coke as well.
They do it trying to get people hooked on the more expensive stuff rather than the weed that they have.

This is not some "This happenz! I saw it on the NEWS!" type stuff like a lot of people who say it.
post #214 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
and for court purposes or w/e they could do a urine test or something. i think there are a few others that you could do as well.
It looks like one of the dollar store preg tests(go in a cup and use a dropper to put a few drops in the little well) but bigger. It has THC and a few other things that show.
post #215 of 304
coke really? that does seem spendy! Wow.
post #216 of 304
I haven't read the whole thread.

It's not about age, my dad who is in his 80s is a big believer in legalization (though it's probably been quite a few decades since he had any.)
post #217 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
I'll go look at your link but as I said, It DOES happen.
I know at least 2 dealers who DO lace their stuff with coke at least.
Yes, they sell coke as well.
They do it trying to get people hooked on the more expensive stuff rather than the weed that they have.

This is not some "This happenz! I saw it on the NEWS!" type stuff like a lot of people who say it.
It's called a cabby. I have smoked one ONCE. I didn't like it. The type of people who are going to buy and get hooked on the harder stuff are the type of people who were going to do it anyway. I doubt they are buying this unaware that it is a cabby.. and I doubt the guy is going to sell it to them for the price of an unlaced joint long enough for them to get hooked. You don't get "hooked" the first time you do it.

I think you are reaching with your arguments.

And FWIW my Dh has never smoked pot either. He wont even take tylonal.
post #218 of 304
Maybe if it was presented that they can tax MJ the government might go for it... you know how they like to tax stuff!!

Here is a question that has been rolling around in my brain and if it was covered all ready I apologize. Do you think the umber of MJ users would go up if it were legalized or do you think it would stay about the same? (This given that all people were honest and admitted they smoked, cause I know ppl who do but would never admit it) I don't because, well, I'm terrified of doing anything illegal... cause I would be the one to get caught!

Oh, and I know someone who has a problem. However, his problem isn't with the pot. He has been smoking pot for 20 years now. It is the alcohol that does it. It is far more dangerous to him than the MJ.
post #219 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
I'll go look at your link but as I said, It DOES happen.
I know at least 2 dealers who DO lace their stuff with coke at least.
Yes, they sell coke as well.
They do it trying to get people hooked on the more expensive stuff rather than the weed that they have.

This is not some "This happenz! I saw it on the NEWS!" type stuff like a lot of people who say it.
I'm not saying that what you're saying isn't true....but how on earth does one go about getting these people off the weed and onto the coke?? Also...if someone is selling crummy weed, people will pay crummy prices. If someone is selling really good weed, they will pay really good prices. THe dude buying the crummy weed, will not pay "coke" prices for that weed....and the person buying really good stuff, knows what that should cost..and is gonna wanna know why it;s $20 more expensive....so....if you are sprinkling $20 worth of coke onto an eighth of pot...I just don't see you making money on that plan long term...what's the REAL plan...what business model is that?

I feel like, if I were a pot user, and my "dealer" one day was like "Yeeaaah, you like that pot, makes ya feel JAZZY huh? Wanna try some coke then, cause, SURPRISE you've already been doin' it man!! Whoohoo! I've been puttin' it on your pot for like, months, man!!" I'd be like "ummmmm, wha??" - how do they swing that? Do the people all the sudden one day say to their dealer "Hey, you know, I don't even know why....but I feel like trying some coke, man, got any?"...

I've just never, ever ever known anyone who was a "real" pothead, who went on to doing anything else. It's just IMO not a drug...it's not in any way the same as these manufactured/"cooked" drugs...I've known people who tried pot, but didn't like it, because it wasn't an upper and some people just prefer upper. It's like if you try some ding dongs...and you say "eeew, I don't like this fake filling stuff" - so then you move onto those Little Debbie apple pie things...and say "Mmmmmm, this stuff is IT for me!" and become addicted to them and blow up to 700lbs and then die...and all your friends say "wow...if he'd never tried those ding-dongs, he never would have moved on to Little Debbie pies and got hooked and died as a result. Obviously, these ding-dongs are "gateway snacks".....do you see how ridiculous that sounds??

In my experience, people who tried pot first and then moved on to other things, harder things....didn't "stay" with pot because they didn't like the mellow vibe and would have tried the harder things regardless because they LOVE being up up up....and people I've known who really liked pot, never really "moved on" to other things...because they weren't "upper types".
post #220 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family View Post
Maybe if it was presented that they can tax MJ the government might go for it... you know how they like to tax stuff!!

Here is a question that has been rolling around in my brain and if it was covered all ready I apologize. Do you think the umber of MJ users would go up if it were legalized or do you think it would stay about the same? (This given that all people were honest and admitted they smoked, cause I know ppl who do but would never admit it) I don't because, well, I'm terrified of doing anything illegal... cause I would be the one to get caught!

Oh, and I know someone who has a problem. However, his problem isn't with the pot. He has been smoking pot for 20 years now. It is the alcohol that does it. It is far more dangerous to him than the MJ.

I think people that smoke pot right now would admitt that they do if it became legalized. So I'm not sure if the numbers would go up but I think the undercover smokers would be more open about it. I don't smoke pot and wouldn't just because it became legal. I hope it does become legal someday. I do think it would be funny to walk into the local gas station and ask for a pack of joints lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do people in our generation care about weed?