or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do people in our generation care about weed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do people in our generation care about weed? - Page 12

post #221 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
...
I get really tired of arguments like that. Did it being illegal stop it from being a problem for these people in the first place?? No it did not! So how will it being legal change that?
No, it didn't. But it being illegal sure stopped MANY of my friends from trying it when we were young. A couple of my close friends ended up having chemical imbalances (one was suicidal at one point), and if she had started doing drugs she likely would have gone off the deep end. She was such a goody-goody that she drew the line at "legal" and for her, it saved her life.

And I never said that it's a problem for most people. But you know what? We all played with lead-laden toys and lived in houses with asbestos, and it wasn't a problem FOR MOST OF US. But would you raise your kid in the same conditions? I wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Also I think if doctors and mental health professionals were better at diagnosing and treating mental/behavior problems instead of ignoring you or throwing pharmaceuticals at you hoping they find the right one.. then there wouldn't be so many people self medicating and over doing it.

The pot is not the problem. The problem is the underlying problem that caused them to self medicate themselves into oblivion in the first place.
I do agree with this. And I do think it should be legal for medical purposes. I'm just not sure I want to see what I saw in college all over the place...
post #222 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
Not odd, I'm with you, too. Those who don't think it's a big deal don't know anyone for whom it's a VERY big problem, physically and mentally.
I have met one person for whom it was a problem. I have met a few people for whom alcohol is a problem.

Just because some people have a problem with something doesn't automatically mean it should be illegal.

People can have a problem with the internet, should we make it illegal?
What about food? TV? Video games?

What about cell phones? Can we make those illegal? People have killed someone because they couldn't stop texting long enough to drive somewhere without doing it.

Oh, and sex... Would you advocate making sex illegal because some people have so much of a problem with it that it puts their life and lives of others at risk?
post #223 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
I do agree with this. And I do think it should be legal for medical purposes. I'm just not sure I want to see what I saw in college all over the place...
And again.. it being illegal did not stop what you saw in college. You know what they say.. the forbidden fruit is always the sweetest.
post #224 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by number572 View Post
working - many people are workaholic and have lost their friends and families due to choosing work over anything else
I dunno, if you wanted to making working illegal I might support you.
post #225 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
coke really? that does seem spendy! Wow.
Yeah, but you make all the money back when the person gets hooked on the coke and comes looking for it.
post #226 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family View Post
Maybe if it was presented that they can tax MJ the government might go for it... you know how they like to tax stuff!!

Here is a question that has been rolling around in my brain and if it was covered all ready I apologize. Do you think the umber of MJ users would go up if it were legalized or do you think it would stay about the same? (This given that all people were honest and admitted they smoked, cause I know ppl who do but would never admit it) I don't because, well, I'm terrified of doing anything illegal... cause I would be the one to get caught!

Oh, and I know someone who has a problem. However, his problem isn't with the pot. He has been smoking pot for 20 years now. It is the alcohol that does it. It is far more dangerous to him than the MJ.
I know it's not entirely the same, but here in BC no one really cares if you have or use MJ. They have also recently found out that the number of teens smoking mj regularly has dropped by quite a bit.
post #227 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
No, it didn't. But it being illegal sure stopped MANY of my friends from trying it when we were young. A couple of my close friends ended up having chemical imbalances (one was suicidal at one point), and if she had started doing drugs she likely would have gone off the deep end. She was such a goody-goody that she drew the line at "legal" and for her, it saved her life.

And I never said that it's a problem for most people. But you know what? We all played with lead-laden toys and lived in houses with asbestos, and it wasn't a problem FOR MOST OF US. But would you raise your kid in the same conditions? I wouldn't.
I know that I'm one of those people who was kept from going off the deep end by pot.
post #228 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
It's called a cabby. I have smoked one ONCE. I didn't like it. The type of people who are going to buy and get hooked on the harder stuff are the type of people who were going to do it anyway. I doubt they are buying this unaware that it is a cabby.. and I doubt the guy is going to sell it to them for the price of an unlaced joint long enough for them to get hooked. You don't get "hooked" the first time you do it.

I think you are reaching with your arguments.

And FWIW my Dh has never smoked pot either. He wont even take tylonal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
I'm not saying that what you're saying isn't true....but how on earth does one go about getting these people off the weed and onto the coke?? Also...if someone is selling crummy weed, people will pay crummy prices. If someone is selling really good weed, they will pay really good prices. THe dude buying the crummy weed, will not pay "coke" prices for that weed....and the person buying really good stuff, knows what that should cost..and is gonna wanna know why it;s $20 more expensive....so....if you are sprinkling $20 worth of coke onto an eighth of pot...I just don't see you making money on that plan long term...what's the REAL plan...what business model is that?
They put the coke in the weed. No extra prices.
Then the people only want THEIR particular weed 'cause it is so great and more people come to them.
Then the people who come want that particular high and more often, someone tells them what it is eventually and they try it by itself since they have been on it already especially if it i offered when they are high already.
There you go.

There are also people who just want the weed and back off but for the people who realize they have been doing coke and just want to try that..it is a great business model. Plus, you have more customers because of the people saying that the dealer has such great weed.

I thought it was crazy too until I met the people doing it.
post #229 of 304
I've never smoked a joint and have never been drunk. I have not smoked tobacco either. Not that I didn't have opportunity, because I did, I just didn't want anything to make me less in control of myself. (and before anyone jumps on me, yes, I'm sure some people feel even MORE in control of themselves or whatever...but the people I knew who did any of that did not were not) I had good friends who never pressured me, nor did they always make me be the designated driver/safe person (sometimes it's nice to have another sober person to talk to if you're partying all weekend).

I guess I see the middle ground here. I really don't understand why some people absolutely refuse to see that yes, sometimes it can lead to problems--especially with driving and consentual sex. (That's really what the designated sober people were for when we hung out with people outside our group--to protect our girlfriends from date rape. Far more common with alcohol than other drugs, but it can and DOES happen with others. Sorry.) On the other hand, I don't get the fear about it either. It's far less destructive to the body than alcohol or modern chemical laced tobacco, IMO.

There are herbs that can do damage to the body. Remember Fen-Phen? There's no shortage of poisonous plants, and some hallucinogens are actually toxic--you're just minding the dose. I think it's just as foolish to say/assume that just because something is "natural" it's therefore harmless, as it is to believe that the only way something can be safe is if a multinational pharmaceutical corporation makes it.

I think that decriminalization/legalization, if/when it happens will only happen if/when people can make compromises about it, and stop engaging in villanization of the other side. You can have an intelligent opinion about something even if you haven't toked anything--or if you have. I don't smoke and never will. Maybe that's why I can look at it dispassionately. I don't see the harm in legalizing MJ--and putting similar controls on it as alcohol as far as home manufacture. (you can do homebrew/growing somewhat generously, but if you move to distill/refine it into something else, you are in big trouble). I'd rather see law enforcement concentrate on things like meth, to be honest. But let's be real here. A lot of the same people who are stupid, selfish, or addicted enough to cook meth with their young children in the same house, endangering them are in the same league as people who risk their children's housing and safety by having large commercial growing operations. Stupid is as stupid does/risks. Even if you were to legalize MJ on the same level as alcohol (with some leeway for certain types of home production), you wouldn't get rid of all the stupid and unfit parents and dysfunctional families in the world. Sometimes I think legalization advocates romanticize that bit too much. The people that put their families at risk to make $$ will just probably move on to something else when it's harder for them to sell it. But all things considered, MJ is a fairly mild substance. If people can make their own homebrew, then I don't see why they can't farm their own pot. But I would like to see people acknowledge that it won't empty out the prisons nor will it solve the problem of addicted parents neglecting or doing horrible things to their children if they've reached that point.
post #230 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
They put the coke in the weed. No extra prices.
Then the people only want THEIR particular weed 'cause it is so great and more people come to them.
Then the people who come want that particular high and more often, someone tells them what it is eventually and they try it by itself since they have been on it already especially if it i offered when they are high already.
There you go.

There are also people who just want the weed and back off but for the people who realize they have been doing coke and just want to try that..it is a great business model. Plus, you have more customers because of the people saying that the dealer has such great weed.

I thought it was crazy too until I met the people doing it.
But here is the deal.. it's NOT great. And it's not the same as smoking pot. There is no way these people didn't know it was laced.. unless they were newbies to begin with. And generally newbies don't buy pot.. they get high with their friends... they start buying it later.
post #231 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
But here is the deal.. it's NOT great. And it's not the same as smoking pot. There is no way these people didn't know it was laced.. unless they were newbies to begin with. And generally newbies don't buy pot.. they get high with their friends... they start buying it later.
I know 4 people who think coke is the bestest thing ever. They do it occasionally (so I know not everyone is addicted and becomes a complete crackhead to it after doing it like someone else said)
because it is "fun"
and who don't act much different depending on what they are on and also someone who is locked up in federal prison for being a crack dealer who was another who thought it was hilarious but is apparently rethinking that now.

then three who thought there was something "off" when smoking laced weed but shrugged it off until they were told by the idiot friend who they were smoking with who thought it was funny or they went to the same dealer later.

also, the people I know who have gotten it laced weren't people buying the bags for 20 bucks, it was larger amounts bought for parties and stuff so maybe that factors into it.
post #232 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
I know 4 people who think coke is the bestest thing ever. They do it occasionally (so I know not everyone is addicted and becomes a complete crackhead to it after doing it like someone else said)
because it is "fun"
and who don't act much different depending on what they are on and also someone who is locked up in federal prison for being a crack dealer who was another who thought it was hilarious but is apparently rethinking that now.

then three who thought there was something "off" when smoking laced weed but shrugged it off until they were told by the idiot friend who they were smoking with who thought it was funny or they went to the same dealer later.

also, the people I know who have gotten it laced weren't people buying the bags for 20 bucks, it was larger amounts bought for parties and stuff so maybe that factors into it.
I don't see how this is possible. Coke is a powder. You can't just sprinkle powder on a bag of weed. It would fall to the bottom and not be on the pot. To make a cabby you put the weed in the paper.. sprinkle coke on it.. then roll it up. (from watching my x's father do it.) What you are saying just makes no sense. Period.

And crack and coke are not the same thing. Crack is made from coke.. but they are not the same nor are they generally taken the same way.
post #233 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I don't see how this is possible. Coke is a powder. You can't just sprinkle powder on a bag of weed. It would fall to the bottom and not be on the pot. To make a cabby you put the weed in the paper.. sprinkle coke on it.. then roll it up. (from watching my x's father do it.) What you are saying just makes no sense. Period.

And crack and coke are not the same thing. Crack is made from coke.. but they are not the same nor are they generally taken the same way.
What isn't possible?
Have a party, pass it around, people smoke and pass more..
Say "Oh, btw, guess what was in that #$%$!" and : later after being asked what was wrong with it or someone wanting more.
There you go!

I know crack and coke aren't the same thing. I was saying I know a guy locked up in a federal prison right now who was a crack dealer who thought that getting people on things other than weed was funny. Where does that say that I don't know they are different?

Granted, most of the people I know who smoke are freaking idiots, am I really losing that much of something from my thoughts to typing?
post #234 of 304
Read what I said.
post #235 of 304
What I'm saying is what does a bag have to do with anything? It is easily hidden if people are passing it around already rolled was what I meant.
post #236 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
What I'm saying is what does a bag have to do with anything? It is easily hidden if people are passing it around already rolled was what I meant.
You said that people were unknowingly buying HUGE BAGS of weed laced with coke. I am telling you that is highly unlikely as coke is a powder and would fall to the bottom of the bag.
post #237 of 304
No, I said people were unknowingly SMOKING what had been bought in huge bags laced.
post #238 of 304
Well your train of thought is hard to follow.

And I will repeat.. people are not going to get addicted to it by smoking it once at a party. Also people who know anything are going to realize (granted after the fact) that it was laced and will not continue to smoke it unknowingly.

Your scenario is far fetched. Furthermore.. it really doesn't have much to do with the original topic. As a matter of fact.. it shows a very good reason why pot should be legalized. People aren't going to unwittingly buy pot laced with coke or any other substance from the corner market now are they? Legalization will make pot safer since it will cut out the drug dealer trying to get you addicted to a substance that is not addictive by adding other chemicals to it.
post #239 of 304
: I didn't mean it to be, I'm doing a lot of things and it has been a while since this happened, before my kids.

Yep like I said, I do know in gerneral you aren't going to get addicted once or once in a while.

And yep I do agree that the crazy junk wouldn't be likely if it was legal but I disagree that there wouldn't be addictive chemicals added that you don't know about. Take tobacco.

I also didn't mean any of this to be drawn out, I just know that some dealers do for sure add stuff to weed which I added because I know so many people think that it doesn't and never has happened so I said that since it kind of ties into the whole thing.
post #240 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
They put the coke in the weed. No extra prices.
Then the people only want THEIR particular weed 'cause it is so great and more people come to them.
Then the people who come want that particular high and more often, someone tells them what it is eventually and they try it by itself since they have been on it already especially if it i offered when they are high already.
There you go.

There are also people who just want the weed and back off but for the people who realize they have been doing coke and just want to try that..it is a great business model. Plus, you have more customers because of the people saying that the dealer has such great weed.

I thought it was crazy too until I met the people doing it.
I'm a pretty peaceful lady...but I'm not quite sure what I'd do to a guy who told me he'd been selling me pot that was laced with cocaine...seriously. THat's messed up. I've never known of a person who sold pot and dealt in anything else...only nice people who wanted to smoke and who sells to friends..I've never known any of these "lacers" who are, apparently, real criminals...someone who puts drugs in your pot...is a real criminal. That's sick.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do people in our generation care about weed?