or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do people in our generation care about weed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do people in our generation care about weed? - Page 4

post #61 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
You should check out these stats on effects of marijuana decriminalization. They compare Netherlands (where MJ is decriminalized) and the US. Education on drugs/cigarettes/alcohol is very important. I'm not leaving it up to the schools to teach my children. They're 7 and 5 and it's already an ongoing discussion in our home. I don't tell them it's okay to use any of those, but I also tell them dh and I will be honest with them on this topic.
ita - I wrote "schools" in my above post b'c some parents will not or can not (due to religion, etc) discuss it with their kids. But, yes, having education from parents AND schools would be great. I also include unschooling and homeschools when I say "school"... includes "any kind of education" that the kid may be getting.
post #62 of 304
Also, not really weed because it doesn't produce enough THC for a buzz, but you know the laws here in the states are messed up when industrial hemp is also illegal. It's obvious that the laws were not made because smoking MJ is harmful. A bit on the uses of industrial hemp from wikipedia:

"Industrial hemp has been tried for many uses, including paper, textiles, biodegradable plastics, construction, health food, and fuel[1], but with very limited commercial success.[2] It is one of the fastest growing biomasses known,[3] and one of the earliest domesticated plants known.[4] It may be environmentally helpful, for example hemp requires fewer pesticides,[5] no herbicides,[6] controls erosion of the topsoil, and produces oxygen."
post #63 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
Also, not really weed because it doesn't produce enough THC for a buzz, but you know the laws here in the states are messed up when industrial hemp is also illegal. It's obvious that the laws were not made because smoking MJ is harmful. A bit on the uses of industrial hemp from wikipedia:

"Industrial hemp has been tried for many uses, including paper, textiles, biodegradable plastics, construction, health food, and fuel[1], but with very limited commercial success.[2] It is one of the fastest growing biomasses known,[3] and one of the earliest domesticated plants known.[4] It may be environmentally helpful, for example hemp requires fewer pesticides,[5] no herbicides,[6] controls erosion of the topsoil, and produces oxygen."
Think of all the companies that would loose money if hemp was used to it's fullest potential.

That is why it's illegal.
post #64 of 304
I'm 25.. I can't think of anyone anywhere near my age who thinks it should be illegal. Most of the people of my parents generation don't think so either. Honestly, I'm still semi-surprised when some of dads friends come over and start smoking. DH & I don't smoke much anymore, but thats mostly due to him attempting to get a job and *EVERYONE* requiring a drug test pre-employment... and its just awkward for me to smoke around him, yk? And Dad is abstaining for the next 2 years, till he retires just out of fear of having some sort of a minor accident at work and getting drug tested (works for the state).
post #65 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
YOU don't NEED for me to do anything. If you want my answer, read my last post, above.

and I believe that some people can govern themsevles just fine. I can. I don't use drugs, smoke, eat horrible, drive dangerously, steal, cheat on my taxes, abuse anyone or anything, etc, etc, etc... and I still wouldn't even if there were no laws to tell me to or not to do so. Others however, need some mentoring.

I'm not focusing on the health aspect of pot at this point.... though everyone who has responded to what I've said seems to pinpoint that for some odd reason. Pot IS part of the reason so many cities and neighborhoods are declining. Think about the mentality and motivation of dealers.... not users. Users hurt those close to their hearts, dealers hurt those within a 5 mile radius.
OKay, but here's the crappy part: I actually DO need you to do that...actually NEED....because so long as people like you insist upon drawing lines where none exist, and eating up the "information" which supports your views without questioning it, we will all be in this same, crappy, sinking ship together.

Why....ON EARTH...would you blame crackheads, on CRACK. Crackheads are not CREATED BY crack. If that's the case....then, why aren't YOU a crack head?? Come on, you know where it is, you're in close proximity....by your logic, YOU should be a crack head....so, what's wrong??

I'll tell you. The things which separate you, from a person who throws their life away on crack, have nothing to do with proximity or how many drug dealers you know...can't you see that?

The War on Drugs...is a war on your mentality. It accomplishes so many things at once, that it really could be compared to a magic trick, or illusion...illusion is better, actually. See, the government CREATES the problem...then convinces you that the problem is GROWING which causes you to scream "something must be done, to stop this growing problem!"....then gives you the SOLUTION to the problem. Here's the thing...the problem they created, is not actually being solved....it's not SUPPOSED to be solved. What's the matter, with a gigantic portion of our society, living off the dole and as a result kept squashed down in an unending cycle of poverty and broken homes? Nothing, if you're a "person in charge". All of these people you're talking about, these little kids going in and out of the crack houses....who made their daddy a non-existent factor in their lives? Crack? Who made their mothers into addict? Not crack. Crack was the drug of choice...but not the cause to any of it. You can fight crack all you want, but until you fight the deep seated and looooong established culture that is guiding these peoples lives...I mean, you said you were a teacher, right? Do you KNOW the rates of desparity in the public school system, between the children who are living in these high poverty, mainly african american areas...and kid living in middle class, white america??? In some cases...70% or more. You're going to tell me, that THAT has nothing to do with these children having little to no chance, of the type of future you hope for, for your OWN children??? BS. Well, who runs the schoools around here.....ooohh,, riiiiight. All of these things are connected. You can fight crack, meth, etc...all you want. There is an element of all of this, which is not being addressed.....and it's not supposed to be. If you are holding your breath for your neighborhood to turn around...you need to stop, because it's not going to, because it's not supposed to. The folks in charge don't care about these crackheads...and the poor kids on their WAY to becoming crack heads just like they dont care about YOU. SO...okay, follow the rules, pay your taxes, all that other stuff you listed off as reasons why you "shouldn't have to live this way"...that's fine, but where's it getting you? Your city is overrun with crack heads...and crack (by way of MJ ) is the obvious culprit to you??? Well of course it is......but ask yourself where you got the idea! ASK YOURSELF! Because it doesn't even make sense?!

But, never the less, there you are. Screaming for a solution...and as long as the thugs keep coming in and rounding people up and sending them off to prison, you imagine that "all that could be done, is being done" - well, you're wrong. Incarceration does jack to help your neighborhood, lady. The War on Drugs, is a war on your wallet, mind and freedom. In other words...the same people who are handing you the bandaide, also gave you the paper cut....and you were looking right at them when they did it!!

I understand that you want to see the streets of your city cleaned up...but honey, the War on Drugs has been operating since the 80's.....how may decades before you decide that it's not working...then, reaserch the numbers which PROVE it's not working...then stumble on the numbers, outlining how much MONEY the government makes off this ridiculous lie...and start connecting the dots? The War on Drugs is not what it is supposed to be.

Stop looking at the crackheads...and start looking at the culture they come from...the culture which has been institutionally(sp?) created there over many many many years...then, start to realize that it's NOT THE DAMN CRACK! And it's CERTAINLY not the marijiuana....
post #66 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Think of all the companies that would loose money if hemp was used to it's fullest potential.

That is why it's illegal.
EXACTLY!

I recommend The Emperor Wears No Clothes to anyone who is interested in learning about the real reasons it's illegal.
post #67 of 304
Thats what my link was to! You can read several chapters there.
( Great minds think alike..lol)
post #68 of 304
MJ should be legal. I think if the war on drugs were to be taken seriously, it should be the war on meth. Meth is what is destroying communities. Have you ever come across a tweaker??? It's not a fun or pretty thing. I know someone who is a recovering alcoholic, and was absolutely horrible when he was drunk. He would lose his mind, act like an ass. Now, he doesn't drink (albeit for two beers every month), but he does smoke pot. Now, instead of acting horribly, he's chill. There are many people out there, that you wouldn't expect to smoke pot, successful people, those with doctorates or masters degrees. Most people I know don't really have a problem with smoking pot. Some think it's "bad" (like how they teach you in DARE), others think it's not for them, but is ok, and some think it's for "losers". For me, I'd rather be around someone that is stoned, than someone who is drunk, or on any other drug (cokeheads, crackheads, tweakers, etc). Oh, and some people do get lazy and turn into bad pot heads, but that had to be in their personality before they started smoking pot. Pot doesn't take over your life like crack or meth will. I don't understand why some people hate pot so much when there are better things to hate, like meth.

Pot also doesn't attribute to crime. Most car break ins and house break ins are by crackheads and tweakers. They NEED that next high, and will do nearly anything to get it. (I'm not saying potheads are angels, and don't contribute to any crimes whatsoever.)

And, to quote the lovely band 311, that I love:
"Mandatory sentence for a crime with no victim
When everyone knows jail terms should be picked in
Order of the pain that they cause
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
Until you violate the rights of another
Respect the space of your sister and your brother
The war on drugs may be well intentioned
But it falls ------- flat when you stop and mention
The overcrowded prisons where a rapists gets paroled
To make room for a dude who has sold
A pound of weed to me that's a crime
Here's to good people doin time y'all"


ETA: Sorry if this is rambly....DD is in the waking-up stage of her nap....
post #69 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Think of all the companies that would loose money if hemp was used to it's fullest potential.

That is why it's illegal.
post #70 of 304
My neighbor is a pot dealer. He's great, and a church-going man. Watches our dog when we're away. We play board games at his house all the time. His (soon to be) wife is a Scrabble junkie.

Our neighborhoods aren't declining because of the pot dealers - they're declining because of the fragmentation of family structure and trust, creating gang action - totally unrelated to drugs. It's the gangs that get into drugs - not the drugs that create gangs.

MJ got me through my first trimester, when I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed. It's not legal in PA. I didn't have a prescription. It also helps me with clinical anxiety, and is safer for my nursing DS than prescription meds.

Our neighbor, DH, and I would NEVER think of switching to harder drugs. None of us smoke tobacco or would ever think of it. Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug - THEY are telling you that to scare you. Just logically, when weed is $50/quarter and crack is $175 for the same amount (I'm guessing here, but I know it's WAYYYY more), you're getting a different demographic. My DH went to his preppy school with crack dealers. Kids from affluent families who can afford it buy crack. It's a different world.

BTW. I'm 24, DH is 27, and our neighbors are also the same age.

It's going to happen, and in MY lifetime. It's just a matter of time - like gay marriage.
post #71 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
Thats what my link was to! You can read several chapters there.
( Great minds think alike..lol)
post #72 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
My neighbor is a pot dealer. He's great, and a church-going man. Watches our dog when we're away. We play board games at his house all the time. His (soon to be) wife is a Scrabble junkie.

Our neighborhoods aren't declining because of the pot dealers - they're declining because of the fragmentation of family structure and trust, creating gang action - totally unrelated to drugs. It's the gangs that get into drugs - not the drugs that create gangs.

MJ got me through my first trimester, when I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed. It's not legal in PA. I didn't have a prescription. It also helps me with clinical anxiety, and is safer for my nursing DS than prescription meds.

Our neighbor, DH, and I would NEVER think of switching to harder drugs. None of us smoke tobacco or would ever think of it. Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug - THEY are telling you that to scare you. Just logically, when weed is $50/quarter and crack is $175 for the same amount (I'm guessing here, but I know it's WAYYYY more), you're getting a different demographic. My DH went to his preppy school with crack dealers. Kids from affluent families who can afford it buy crack. It's a different world.

BTW. I'm 24, DH is 27, and our neighbors are also the same age.

It's going to happen, and in MY lifetime. It's just a matter of time - like gay marriage.
Yes...bolded = YESSSSSS! Thank you!
post #73 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca03 View Post
MJ should be legal. I think if the war on drugs were to be taken seriously, it should be the war on meth. Meth is what is destroying communities. Have you ever come across a tweaker??? It's not a fun or pretty thing. I know someone who is a recovering alcoholic, and was absolutely horrible when he was drunk. He would lose his mind, act like an ass. Now, he doesn't drink (albeit for two beers every month), but he does smoke pot. Now, instead of acting horribly, he's chill. There are many people out there, that you wouldn't expect to smoke pot, successful people, those with doctorates or masters degrees. Most people I know don't really have a problem with smoking pot. Some think it's "bad" (like how they teach you in DARE), others think it's not for them, but is ok, and some think it's for "losers". For me, I'd rather be around someone that is stoned, than someone who is drunk, or on any other drug (cokeheads, crackheads, tweakers, etc). Oh, and some people do get lazy and turn into bad pot heads, but that had to be in their personality before they started smoking pot. Pot doesn't take over your life like crack or meth will. I don't understand why some people hate pot so much when there are better things to hate, like meth.

Pot also doesn't attribute to crime. Most car break ins and house break ins are by crackheads and tweakers. They NEED that next high, and will do nearly anything to get it. (I'm not saying potheads are angels, and don't contribute to any crimes whatsoever.)

And, to quote the lovely band 311, that I love:
"Mandatory sentence for a crime with no victim
When everyone knows jail terms should be picked in
Order of the pain that they cause
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
Until you violate the rights of another
Respect the space of your sister and your brother
The war on drugs may be well intentioned
But it falls ------- flat when you stop and mention
The overcrowded prisons where a rapists gets paroled
To make room for a dude who has sold
A pound of weed to me that's a crime
Here's to good people doin time y'all"


ETA: Sorry if this is rambly....DD is in the waking-up stage of her nap....
Exactly! I totally agree with your whole post.

And love 311, btw.
post #74 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I think pot should be legal. I'm in BC, 91% of my province thinks pot should be legal.

I have smoked pot and still do on occasion. I have used other drugs in my time, but that was more of misspent youth then anything else.

I have never heard of a hard core drug dealer who sells only pot. The only people I know who sell only pot, sell it to friends who they know smoke it. They do that because they are the one who actually grows it. These people wouldn't really be affected if pot were legalized because they have other jobs and don't rely on drugs to make money. The ones that do, already sell meth and 101 other drugs.

yup.
post #75 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmalizz View Post
I'm 20 and think weed should stay illegal because of the mental and health problems it can cause.
It can cause those whether it's legal or not. It's very unlikely that I'd have survived high school without weed, so I don't tend to focus much on the mental problems it can cause. It kept my depression from overwhelming me...

I'm 41. I don't think I know anybody who supports mj being illegal. I know lots who think it should be legalized, and quite a few who don't really care, either way. I don't know any who actually believe it should be illegal. That includes quite a few fairly conservative senior citizens.

I don't use pot. I never will again, and I don't want it in my life, to be honest. While my ex's problems actually weren't about pot, his actions and attitudes have caused me to have strong negative associations with pot use. But, that's for me. I can choose not to have it in my life, without deciding that nobody should be allowed to have it in theirs. I think that the police and courts have far more important things to use their resources on.
post #76 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Our neighborhoods aren't declining because of the pot dealers - they're declining because of the fragmentation of family structure and trust, creating gang action - totally unrelated to drugs. It's the gangs that get into drugs - not the drugs that create gangs.
This is how I believe as well.

I'm still a bit of a fence sitter though. I've never smoked pot myself but I've been close to many people who have. The vast majority seem to indulge in marijuana as a way to escape psychological pain. I don't know enough to say whether this holds true in larger populations. I have never hung out with happy-go-lucky partying types of people, for instance... and for all I know the majority of marijuana users could be of that variety and it doesn't hurt them at all. I have known casual users, but they have still been among the saddest people I've known.

Anyhow... I guess what I'm wondering is if marijuana may damage people (especially young adults and teens) by offering a way to escape reality and thus removing the necessity to really think through their problems and figure out how to fix things. I feel like my friends who have used pot have also remained in a very dysfunctional state of mind until they stopped. I know corrolation doesn't mean that one thing caused the other, but it's hard for me to brush it off, you know? The people I know who haven't stopped after a number of years have ended up in bad places... suicide, more serious criminal behavior, development of narcissistic/sociopathic traits, etc.

I'm not blaming pot. I recognize that their pain steered them toward it in the first place. And maybe it's dxm I should be focusing on .. as inevitably it seems the people I've loved who get into pot start to combine the two. But on the whole my experience has been that people who cope with nearly identical circumstances/traumas without drugs tend to end up better off.

So it does scare me to think of my beloved children getting caught up in something like this. Alcohol scares me, too, but I just haven't known as many people struggle with it. I can't stand the thought of my kids drowning their normal teenage troubles in some kind of substance abuse, making things worse for themselves. Like I said, I've never smoked so I don't know how it feels. I only know what I've observed others doing.

If someone can address some of these feelings of mine compassionately, without flames, I'd really appreciate it. Oh, and I'm 26.
post #77 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
I know a lot of people who do not support smoking MJ....or drinking, or who hate cigarettes....and I respect that, fully and wholeheartedly, because I believe that everyone should have the right to decide that something is not for them.

What scares me to death, is the number of people who believe that the Federal Government should have the right to decide FOR you, or me, what it safe, sane and should be legal. I say, give it to the states to decide....and even THAT leaves me feeling creeped out.

People give too much athourity to the government..."But Marijuana Cigarettes are BAD!" some would cry out..."They have to keep it illegal, for the greater good!" well...to those of you who, despite ongoing and emerging research to the contrary, would believe this, I as ask you this:

Is it for the "greater good" that men and women who are homosexual, do not have the right to marry? Because your government has decided that, for the "greater good" it must remain illegal for two people who love and want to honor and commit themselves to each other, cannot in matrimony, because they are of the same sex.

Is it for the greater good, that most people in America have no idea that all of the "aide" we send to nations around the world who are trying to get on their feet and join the global market place...are actually receiving LOANS from our centralized banks, which the peoples in those countries then spend the rest of their lives working to "pay off", by standing on their feet for up to 12, 16, 24 or sometimes 36 hours, with only minimal breaks, sewing boxers, shirts, jeans, etc...for PENNIES a day....so that we can walk into GAP and buy a "cute tee" for a few dollars? Because your government, has allowed trade agreements which CRUSH foreign peoples in the bonds of modern day slavery....for what, what greater good?

Is it for the greater good, that people, because of where they come from and what they look like, can be swept off the street and away to a secret prison, for a inditermenant period of time, with no charges filed....and no word to their families of what's happened? Because your government thinks so.

Look at the rights, which in the last ten years have been stripped of you....look at your waterways in this gorgeous coutry of ours, which have not been valued and protected, look. LOOK LOOK. Look all around, at this "Greater Good" that your government so valiently fights for....and begin to see it for what it is.

The greater good is not you and it is not me. It is not us, for us, determined by us. The greater good, is the almighty dollar, my friends, and I assure you, you do not have enough dollars to matter to the people who make the real rules we're all expected to live by. If you require further evidence, that your government does not really stand for liberty, protection and the greater, common good....you need only look at the thousand upon thousands of pieces of NEW legislation passed each year in this country....look around the world at the way we treat people, at the way big pharma is allowed to treat the insides of our bodies...all the while saying "no, it's safe it's safe - see, the FDA even says so"....look at the allowances made by our government, to big business, so they can smog up our air....put toxins in your water and DESTROY what's left, of the nutrients of the fruits/veggies/foods you buy in the store.....all the while telling you, that the real killers are muslim extremists and marijuana cigarettes. You want to talk dangerous...when's the last time you ate a bell pepper, which wasn't genetically mutated? Do you even know?

Your government does not stand for you and does not fight for you. You must stand for yourself and fight for yourself. "They" and their corrupt sense of what is in the interest of the "greater good"....will not save you. Your brain and willingness to use it....to ask questions, be skeptical, etc...that is what will save you.

Believe what you will, you are perfectly sane and within your rights to think that MJ is trash....but be wary of Federal regulation...always, in any case and under any circumstances. There are many threats out there....the least of which, I can assure you, is MJ. Do you drink public tap water, or even bottled water, as your primary water source?? You want to talk about something which causes physical and mental health problems....do a little research on flouride, my friend. NOT illegal....VERY dangerous. I wonder why.....
I would ask you to marry me if it were legal lol I love this post!
post #78 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I think pot should be legal. I'm in BC, 91% of my province thinks pot should be legal.
I actually thought it might be higher than that.

Quote:
I have smoked pot and still do on occasion. I have used other drugs in my time, but that was more of misspent youth then anything else.
This...except that I don't smoke pot, anymore.

Quote:
I have never heard of a hard core drug dealer who sells only pot. The only people I know who sell only pot, sell it to friends who they know smoke it. They do that because they are the one who actually grows it. These people wouldn't really be affected if pot were legalized because they have other jobs and don't rely on drugs to make money. The ones that do, already sell meth and 101 other drugs.
And, also this. As much as my ex's pot habit drove me crazy, I quite liked his dealer. We hung out sometimes. When I was pregnant with ds1, my ex's dealer was always the one who insisted they smoke (cigarettes or pot) away from me, and then away from ds1. He bought us a wedding gift, and was part of our wedding party. He was a really cool guy. He was also a heavy pot smoker, and he found a contact who would sell him large amounts. So, he became the dealer for most of his friends who smoked. He was definitely a criminal, in the sense that he was breaking the law - but he wasn't a gangster type, yk? He was actually one of the least violent people I've ever known, and he wouldn't even dream of approaching anyone to sell to them...the existing market found him.
post #79 of 304
I don't use any substances myself (I did smoke a lot of pot for about a year a few years back, but being high/drunk just doesn't do much for me) but I think they should all be legal and regulated. I don't know anyone personally in my age group (I am 24) who thinks weed is a big bad scary thing or that people deserve jail time for it.. and most older people I know think it's a bit ridiculous as well.

As for the whole dealer issue.. lol. To people who think people dealing pot are some kind of blight on society, it's just not true for probably 80% of cases. Of course shady people who deal and use hard drugs sell weed too, and they are often bad sorts. But I'm fairly certain everyone knows quite a few upstanding citizens who happen to deal weed, we just don't know it! I know some who have had legal troubles from selling, they are all great people and it sucks that they have to be punished and see negative repercussions in their life from something so essentially harmless.
post #80 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I actually thought it might be higher than that.
It's 98% if we're talking about medicinal MJ.

It's still technically illigal though... Go figure.

The "dealer" (quotes because he's really just a friend) is the sweetest, nicest human being ever to set foot in my life. He's more of a pacifist then I am too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Do people in our generation care about weed?