or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › Naked baby photos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Naked baby photos - Page 3

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I would ask him to take the pictures off the website. I wouldn't be the least bit comfortable with naked pictures of my children on the web.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Can I just say, that even knowing what someone may be using those pictures for can be very emotionally upsetting for someone. You can't just forget the fact that a picture of you or someone close to use is being used without consent for people to "enjoy".

It is the reason that I don't post pictures of my children, my DH, or myself.
And yes, indeed, again.

(There was a case here, where someone used a photo of a young girl in a, let's say, not so pleasant setting. She sued and they went to court, and it was indeed extremely uncomfortable and upsetting for her.)
post #42 of 48
I wouldn't be comfortable with it at all - no harm asking him to take them down, right?
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushali View Post
You probably already know this but your friends can save any pictures on your FaceBook to their computer and print or distribute them as they see fit. I'm sure your friends are great people but if you want to have complete control of who sees the images (and what they they do with them) they shouldn't go on the internet or in email.
.
Yeah, also facebook keeps EVERYTHING you have ever posted, even if you delete it and they can / do share the info with their advertisers and even with the CIA. I don't know if that matters to you.
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushali View Post
I've been in the computer industry for years and this is patently untrue. Many hosting companies, Internet Service Providers, etc have mandatory reporting policies. If there isn't a policy I'd hope that most people would report illegal activity (of all types) if they came across it. But there is not a legal requirement to report in the computer industry the way there is in other professions (doctors, teachers, etc).
I too have been in IT for over 15 years now. In 1998 a legislation was passed called the Protection of Children from Sexual Predators Act. Originally it simply required that ISP's notify the law if they knew of any sites displaying child pornography, creating an exception to the rule that ISP's could not volunteer information without it being requested by subpeona. However, in 1999 this was amended to read that anyone engaged in providing an electronics communication service to the public was required to report any knowledge of such an event. This is where it becomes tricky though - for example if you work for a company that has a portion of their information online and interactive, then you may technically qualify as a mandated reporter - and face a $50,000 fine for non-compliance (first offense). To my knowledge at this time there has been no concrete definition of what an "electronics communication service" is. While technically not every single person employed in the IT field would be considered a mandated reporter, it could be interpreted that many if not most are. In the meantime, some states are looking into passing a specific law requiring computer prof's to be mandated reporters as well (I don't know how many, I haven't kept up on specific state activity in this area). I'm really surprised people are unaware of this, it's been drilled into me at every position I've held since it was passed except for 1!

OP I'm glad he took the pictures down. I think if it makes you uncomfortable then that's reason enough!
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
I too have been in IT for over 15 years now. In 1998 a legislation was passed called the Protection of Children from Sexual Predators Act. Originally it simply required that ISP's notify the law if they knew of any sites displaying child pornography, creating an exception to the rule that ISP's could not volunteer information without it being requested by subpeona. However, in 1999 this was amended to read that anyone engaged in providing an electronics communication service to the public was required to report any knowledge of such an event. This is where it becomes tricky though - for example if you work for a company that has a portion of their information online and interactive, then you may technically qualify as a mandated reporter - and face a $50,000 fine for non-compliance (first offense). To my knowledge at this time there has been no concrete definition of what an "electronics communication service" is. While technically not every single person employed in the IT field would be considered a mandated reporter, it could be interpreted that many if not most are. In the meantime, some states are looking into passing a specific law requiring computer prof's to be mandated reporters as well (I don't know how many, I haven't kept up on specific state activity in this area). I'm really surprised people are unaware of this, it's been drilled into me at every position I've held since it was passed except for 1!

OP I'm glad he took the pictures down. I think if it makes you uncomfortable then that's reason enough!
DH has been working as a sys. admin. since 1998. For a brief period of time we had a computer repair shop as well. He has never heard of this. I have never heard of this. If it is a law.. it's obviously not a very well known one. Or maybe it didn't matter where DH worked since he was working with internal servers. . He has also never run into child porn. Just regular porn at which point it reports it to management. (cause you know, it's not illegal.)

PSSSST. DH has been a system admin for the Federal Court System for a year now. So the federal government isn't passing on this info either, if it is indeed a law.
post #46 of 48
This comment took a bit of heat, so I'll speak in support:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenful View Post
It's just a penis...maybe if people stopped being so uptight about such things, there wouldn't be people with fetishes...every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Going along with "well, that's not the way the world is nowadays" doesn't bring about any good. If something is good, and right, and normal - defend it. I don't hear the rallying cries of this board urging mothers to just "play it safe" and accept that epidural/c-section/vaccination etc. simply to avoid scrutinizing eyes. Why would this be different?

Acting super-vigilant and crazy about some cute nakey-baby photos just contributes to over-sexualizing et al. And feeding that wonky sense of sexuality that North America seems so taken with makes all of us less safe.
post #47 of 48
i dont mind sharing cute baby butt shots, but we dont share penis shots, online or off. i actually try not to get those, because then i cant show them to anyone, but it happens sometimes (like right now when hes potty learning)
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
This comment took a bit of heat, so I'll speak in support:



Going along with "well, that's not the way the world is nowadays" doesn't bring about any good. If something is good, and right, and normal - defend it. I don't hear the rallying cries of this board urging mothers to just "play it safe" and accept that epidural/c-section/vaccination etc. simply to avoid scrutinizing eyes. Why would this be different?

Acting super-vigilant and crazy about some cute nakey-baby photos just contributes to over-sexualizing et al. And feeding that wonky sense of sexuality that North America seems so taken with makes all of us less safe.

I disagree that keeping naked photos of our children off the internets is "super vigilant and crazy". My kid runs around naked all damned day . I just don't post pictures of it on the internet.

On a different note, it's his body too. Maybe there will come a day when he won't want to find cute nakey baby photos of himself on the interwebs. Perhaps as parents we should be respectful of that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Safety
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › Naked baby photos